Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @shank12u (NET) and @Randy (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - QBE Shootout !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - ProTee Christmas Invitational with 2 rounds at The Walker Course Pro Tee : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...s-invitational
See more
See less

Projector Suggestions for this room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Projector Suggestions for this room

    Looking to pick up a projector for a 13’x14’ room. I am probably putting the screen on the 13’ wall (pending wife approval). I have 9’ ceilings so I’m not 100% sure if where the projector will need to be placed, but may need to be offset from center, really not sure. I can make the screen size whatever I want (have a direct from mill screen that is 17’).

    Seen a lot of talk of the Benq Th671st and the GT1080 Darbee. They are not around the same price on eBay and would love feedback from the projector gurus here. I’m not sure which is a better model at the same price or if one would be better for my room.

    Really just want something decent, doesn’t need to be top of the line. Will be using GC2/HMT, FSX 2018 and possibly JNPG/TGC in the future.

    Thanks!

  • #2
    I have a similar setup pending, so I’m interested as well. 13 foot wide by 8 foot tall screen with gc2 and plan to get jnpg.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rbl
      I have a similar setup pending, so I’m interested as well. 13 foot wide by 8 foot tall screen with gc2 and plan to get jnpg.
      There are so many options out there and variables. Hopefully someone has some suggestions. I don’t really need the best one in the world right now, but would like to get the best I can for ~$600 and those few seemed like the best options.

      Comment


      • #4
        The GT1080Darbee is a good projector for the money. The problem with offsetting the projector is adding digital image correction which will degrade the image. The GT1080 only has keystone adjustment for vertical and cannot be offset. You will need a projector that can do keystone on both axis and or image shift. The sub 1k projectors don't offer much in image adjustments.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Supraracer
          The GT1080Darbee is a good projector for the money. The problem with offsetting the projector is adding digital image correction which will degrade the image. The GT1080 only has keystone adjustment for vertical and cannot be offset. You will need a projector that can do keystone on both axis and or image shift. The sub 1k projectors don't offer much in image adjustments.
          I guess if the projector is set back behind the hitting area a bit, that would be ok for most swings (if still kept centered). This is one part that one unsure of, placement related to swing path.

          Comment


          • wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            Mounted anywhere along the hitting line, the projector is fine for swings. If it's in front, then you should protect if from skyed driver or wedge shots. This can be done easily an cheaply.

        • #6
          Anyone have any specific feedback on the gt1080 vs 671st?

          Comment


          • #7
            I use the GT1080Darbee with an impact screen that is 13' wide and 8' tall. The projector is ceiling-mounted in front of the hitting area from a 9'6" high ceiling. I picked the GT1080 over the 671ST because the GT1080 has a slightly shorter throw ratio (0.5 vs. 0.7 or something like that).

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Wundej View Post
              Anyone have any specific feedback on the gt1080 vs 671st?


              I am shopping for one too. I have a 10x10 screen in my garage.

              From what I read theThe GT1080 is difficult to install as there is no zoom feature so it has to be mounted perfectly, not sure about this Benq model.

              In regards to shorter throw, looks to be some pros and cons to it...


              If I went with the Benq, I'd need to mount it about 10ft away from the screen, 2" off the ceiling to get an image of 120X90 in 4:3 mode
              https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

              If I went with the Optoma, I'd need to mount it about 7t away from the screen, 14" off the ceiling to get an image of 120X90 in 4:3 mode
              https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ulator-pro.htm

              I'm imagining that my mat will be 10ft from the screen so I feel the Benq would be the better choice as the projector would be close to the ceiling, directly over my mat. The Optoma would be in front of me and lower, likely would need to protect it.....


              Comment


              • #9
                I believe your reading that information backwards from the projector central calculator. I been researching a lot lately getting ready to build my sim as well. From what I understand with the offset is with the Benq if you mount it to the ceiling your image starts 2" below that so it needs to be 2"above the top of your screen and the Optoma would have to be 14" above the top of your screen not 14" from the ceiling.

                I'm looking at going with the EH200st optoma which will be 6'9" from my screen with a 15"offset. So with the projector mounted flush with the ceiling the top of the image will be 15" below the projector. I believe that's the correct way of reading that offset but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Kevin_82 View Post
                  I believe your reading that information backwards from the projector central calculator. I been researching a lot lately getting ready to build my sim as well. From what I understand with the offset is with the Benq if you mount it to the ceiling your image starts 2" below that so it needs to be 2"above the top of your screen and the Optoma would have to be 14" above the top of your screen not 14" from the ceiling.

                  I'm looking at going with the EH200st optoma which will be 6'9" from my screen with a 15"offset. So with the projector mounted flush with the ceiling the top of the image will be 15" below the projector. I believe that's the correct way of reading that offset but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
                  Ah! Thanks for pointing that out! I am new to all of this. I actually picked up the Optoma Darbee today off craigslist. Had 3 hours on it, snagged it for $425. Couldn't pass it up for that price. So if I understand you correctly, If I have a 10 foot ceiling, the highest screen height I can have is roughly 9ft with this projector?
                  Last edited by Fran M; 12-03-2018, 04:15 AM.

                  Comment


                  • wbond
                    wbond commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The top of the image will be lower than that. If it's saying 14" offset, that is from the center of the lens i believe. Then it will be how close you can actually get it mounted to the ceiling. If you have any thought of watching movies in 16:9, i would suggest mounting it on a sliding track if possible. makes it easier to install as well since you don't have to be so precise.
                    Last edited by wbond; 12-03-2018, 05:03 PM.

                • #11
                  I can only speak for the Darbee, You can mount the projector higher than recommended and tilt it down. Then fix the image distortion with keystone adjustment.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    It sounds like if I need a little flexibility in throw distance ( I’m still not really sure where I can mount this) I’d be better off with the th671st because of the zoom.

                    I don’t fully understand if the projector will be in the way if it is directly overhead, but based on the calculations on the website I’ll probably want to have it around 10’ from the screen. Would I expect to get a Shadow on screen if I’m hitting from about 7-8’ and I have 9’ ceilings?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X