BenQ TH671ST Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BenQ TH671ST Question

I'm new here. I am setting up a garage sim build. And have a couple questions based on the following:

1. Have purchased the QED simulator and nothing else.

2. Looking to purchase the projector next

3. Ceiling height is 9'9" to 9'10"

4. Room for a 12'wide screen. Would prefer a screen height of 9' if that's possible.

5. I plan on hitting from 10' to 11' away from screen and the QED must be 3.5' back

Questions:

1. I "think" I can't do the Optoma projectors due to the lack of vertical offset and low ceiling height? Clarify if I am wrong, but because of this I have only been looking at the BenQ TH671ST due to some posts in this forum. Any other suggestions here?

2. I tried using the projectorcentral calculator but have a simple question about aspect ratio. When I move the projector close enough to the screen to have good image brightness on the calculator, I then lose the ability to cover the screen at least at 16:9 or 4:3. Eventually, will the projector or a computer be able to simply fix this issue and fit the projector image to the screen?

Sorry for the dumb simple questions. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by JohnnyG678 View Post
    I'm new here. I am setting up a garage sim build. And have a couple questions based on the following:

1. I "think" I can't do the Optoma projectors due to the lack of vertical offset and low ceiling height? Clarify if I am wrong, but because of this I have only been looking at the BenQ TH671ST due to some posts in this forum. Any other suggestions here?

You are correct. You possibly(?) install the projector without a vertical offset and "aim" it upwards, but you'd have some serious keystone corrections to do. I haven't tried it but I don't think it would look great.

If your room is deep enough you could go with the BenQ TK850. It's 4k and $1500, but requires a mount of somewhere around deep 16' for you. You'd want to check for shadow issues, but you are hitting far enough back that it may not be an issue (I hit from similar distance and have mine hanging around 9' 9" - no shadow issues). Also make sure your computer is beefy enough to handle 4k.

Otherwise the TH671ST sounds like a great option for you. GungHoGolf has said before the TK850 is a better picture but the TH671ST is also quite good.

I can't help you on question 2.

Good luck!

Comment

Don't worry about ProjectorCentral's brightness estimator - the TH671ST is a very bright projector as long as you control ambient light in the room. (And if you don't control ambient light in room, even the brightest projector won't save you from a washed-out image, as dark parts of the image can only be as dark as the white screen without the projector turned on.)

For 9' tall image, the TH671ST will be placed with lens 11'-13'3" back from screen (towards the closer end is better, while leaving a little zoom wiggle-room). I list all the reasons it makes a great golf sim projector at https://store.gunghogolf.com/BenQ-TH...NEW-p265749740. Mount projector so lens is same height as top of image to avoid enclosure top from cutting off beam (if building an enclosure like https://gunghogolf.com/articles/diy-...reen-enclosure).
      - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

I got the BENQ TH671ST projector and set it up, absolutely garbage and not what I expected. I'm returning it and going with something else. Using Carl's Premium screen and 4K HDMI cables. Just a very weak picture.

Comment

• spiege2
          spiege2 commented
          Editing a comment
          What did you go with? I bought mine and haven't installed it yet. I am using the same dimensions as the OP.

• preludesam
          preludesam commented
          Editing a comment
          Not to flame this post but It worries me with the mentioned "4K HDMI" cables. People that think a cable will improve picture quality scare me. I have literally had a friend complain about picture quality and had the resolution set to 720p in the Nvidia control panel.

InRange reach out and see if we can help diagnose your issues.

• Wizard of Coz
          Wizard of Coz commented
          Editing a comment
          I find the TH671ST anything but garbage. I'm running it 9x13ft and about 10 ft away from the screen. Maybe 10.5 ft I would have to go measure again. It's plenty bright and clear. I even run it with lights on in the background. It has an awesome zoom andyou can manually focus it. Carl's premium also. Even football games on it are amazing. ?????

Originally posted by InRange View Post
        I got the BENQ TH671ST projector and set it up, absolutely garbage and not what I expected. I'm returning it and going with something else. Using Carl's Premium screen and 4K HDMI cables. Just a very weak picture.
        InRange - not bright enough? Ambient light issues? Lemon?

Comment

Originally posted by GungHoGolf View Post
          Don't worry about ProjectorCentral's brightness estimator - the TH671ST is a very bright projector as long as you control ambient light in the room. (And if you don't control ambient light in room, even the brightest projector won't save you from a washed-out image, as dark parts of the image can only be as dark as the white screen without the projector turned on.)

For 9' tall image, the TH671ST will be placed with lens 11'-13'3" back from screen (towards the closer end is better, while leaving a little zoom wiggle-room). I list all the reasons it makes a great golf sim projector at https://store.gunghogolf.com/BenQ-TH...NEW-p265749740. Mount projector so lens is same height as top of image to avoid enclosure top from cutting off beam (if building an enclosure like https://gunghogolf.com/articles/diy-...reen-enclosure).
          Thanks. Are there any known issues with mounting this a foot in front of or a foot behind a QED?

Comment

• spiege2
            spiege2 commented
            Editing a comment
            would love to know this answer as well

• Foreman33
            Foreman33 commented
            Editing a comment
            not as long as the QED doesn't block the projector or the projector doesn't block the QED. The beam/light from the projector does not interfere with the QED reading the ball (from what many around here have said before).

Hey guys just want to follow up. Ceiling mount, about 13.5 feet away. Screen is roughly 9 x 13. I think I’m just asking too much from this projector. Checked with Projector Central, plugged in my stats and it’s outside recommendations. In another setup this may be fine, but I can’t even see my clock clear when Windows 10 is on. About the Cables comment, I don’t really buy into the cable quality thing either but I just wanted to say they weren’t from the Dollar store and that the cables weren’t the issue as I know someone would go that route with why the picture wasn’t good. The picture is neither bright nor clear. I don’t have ambient light issues. I’m going to return it, going with the Optima Darbee. Should be here soon. Hopefully it fixes my problems.

Comment

OK, I changed Projectors have the Optima GT1080 Darbee. Probably spend 4 hours playing around with different mounting positions. All in all the picture is about the same as the BENQ TH671ST. They are both short throw projectors and at 4:3 I need to have it back at 13 feet (approx) for a 13x10 screen. My diagonal viewing area is 193" Using Carl's Premium screen. Played with the setting and well the picture is OK I guess. Not overly impressed but maybe I have high expectations from a $1000 projector on that large of a screen. maybe the problem is I have a 4K 50" TV in the room broadcasting the same image and when I compare the two, the projector is so basic. Images are soft and not sharp in comparison. I guess that will have to do a $5000 lazer projector is just not in the budget..

Comment

• 3on3putt
              3on3putt commented
              Editing a comment
              Out of curiosity, what sim software are you running? And is your complaint about picture quality limited to only the sim software or is it the same with streaming sports/tv/movies?

• preludesam
              preludesam commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it's not going to be anything like a 4k picture. I wanted a 4k projector as well but like you said the cost is just too high. You have two choices to get a better picture, move the projector closer and lower your screen size or move your viewing distance farther away from the screen. You can pick up a couple different launch monitors for the price of a decent short-throw 4K projector these days.

I’m running TGC 2019. Streaming, native computer images are all the same. I’m sure it’s the projector. It’s decent, just doesn’t blow me away. Having had both projectors the Optima edges out the BEN Q by a hair but they are very close.

Comment

Working...
            X