Mevo+ First Impressions and HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mevo+ First Impressions and HELP!!!

After a 4-month wait period, I received my mevo+ yesterday. I've now played with it for about 10 hours in total. As it currently stands, I'm sorely disappointed in the unit. It feels like when someone first told you Santa Claus wasn't real. Now, I know several other members have voiced the same opinion (about disappointment in mevo+, not about Santa Claus) when first setting it up and have since learned their set up better so I'm hoping there is some advice out there that can help me get more consistent readings (or ANY readings) to turn this rating around.

Here are my first impressions:
    Physical Unit (8 out of 10): Feels sturdy and compact, but the hinge feels weak and it worries me that this will start to lose its resistance and start to fall over. Still can't get over the included charger cable that is all of 4 inches long. This is pretty wild, but something that can be solved with an extension cord.
    Integration with PC (9 out of 10): This was an easy set up and just required connecting to it the unit's onboard wifi (note: the password for the mevo+ wifi is the serial number of the unit M2-******, and the 'M' must be capitalized)
    Simulator Set-Up (10 out of 10): Again, this was an easy set up thanks to the wifi. The unit connects to TGC2019 via the FS Integration program so all that is left is to set it down on the ground and ensure you are properly connected and swing away.
    Performance (5 out of 10): As it stands now, given my space parameters (discussed below) I am considering returning it for a refund or selling it. I get almost 0 reads for putts or chips and am averaging at least 2 mis-read shots per hole. I'm intending to use this unit to play simulated golf and if I can't complete a hole without having no-reads or able to putt, then this unit is not for me or for anyone else who is looking for reliability.

Overall Rating: 5.5 out of 10 and considering returning

Here are the issues I'm having and hoping I can get some feedback to solve them:
    1) Almost no reads on putts (like 2 reads out of 100 regardless of length of putt)
    2) Almost no reads on chips (like 30 reads out of 100 regardless of length of chip).
    3) Flashing light when using anything higher lofted than a PW (radar blinks from red to green. It stops on red when I address the ball, but when I start my backswing it resumes blinking and does not pick up on the chip)
    4) Issues with aligning my shot with unit. Straight shots will be shown as pulls or pushes
    5) Unit will sometimes stop reading certain shots.(ie driver shots don't register after having no issues the prior hole)

My set up:
    • 15.5 feet of space (can split that into any amount of ball flight, distance to tee as needed)
    • mevo+ is level with the hitting surface (if not, possibly 1/16 inch below the surface) and there is no 'trench' between the unit and the ball
    • mevo+ is updated to .09 firmware
    • No metal in the space although the computer and the projector are about 7 feet in front of the mevo+ in the ceiling, which is 10 feet off the ground so it should be out of the way of the radar window.
    Other than the space being a touch short, the environment should be ideal. I'm not getting a ton of misreads on the driver, 3-wood, or long irons so ball flight time seems to be OK. What thoughts do you have about tweaking the set up for more consistency and putting/chipping?

Thanks all.
    Jake

Hey there,

Sorry for the struggles... I've had my fair share, but finally to a point I have more successes, and trusting the Mevo+. Is it perfect yet.. no.. won't say that, but after a few months now, I'm in a better place than I was when I got it, and experienced similar frustrations..

With your space, knowing your primary use is Sim golf, not gathering data, I'd set up Mevo+ 7' behind the ball, and give yourself the 8.5' from ball to screen. More space from ball to screen is better if you have it...

One thing I didn't get from your description above, is that it appears you are using mainly TGC2019? When playing, do you put the Mevo+ tilt at 12 degrees or just fully extend the leg? Sounds like you are being pretty good about your setup, so I assume you are, but wanted to verify... since having the Mevo+ tilt anywhere over 12 degrees in sim play would likely impact your reads on chips and putts in particular, which seems to be your biggest issues you've described.

To be honest, I don't play much sim at all.. usually full swing practice and distance control practice with some limited chipping... I don't putt at all, but know that putting is probably one of the bigger shortcommings, especially short putts under 10 feet... I've had a heck of a time getting anywhere near consistent putting reads on the .09 firmware myself as well, but my setup isn't all that conducive either since I don't have a good flat surface from hitting mat to screen quite yet... so I gave up on putting all together. I find sim putting frustrating on any system though not just Mevo+, so I avoid it completely by turning it off when playing sim courses on occasion... I let the computer randomly decide my putts..

Comment

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points, Tony. Yes I have the angle at 12 degrees. That may vary slightly from time to time when I'm tinkering. If chipping and putting are so bad that we choose not to do either, that's a tough pill to swallow when trying to play sim golf.

• tonybrown32
      tonybrown32 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, understand the disappointment... hard part is there's many that have had some good success with putting and chipping too, so difficult to explain if it's environment, user error, or the unit itself sometimes. Everyone has a little different environment for the most part to deal with. I find putting and short chips to be difficult in sim play personally... depth perception isn't there for me hitting into a 2d image, so I avoid it.. and unfortunately then don't have any advice for improving your putting/chipping woes.. I recall when I had skytrak putting and chipping were equally as problematic for me as Mevo+.. chipping for me defined as chips of about 10-30 feet. Short pitches of say 20-50 yards don't seem to give me any problems though..

My only other advice might be to load up E6 on an iOS device or download the E6 demo to PC and see if chipping/putting experience is any different.. I've read in some groups/forums people have had different experiences in E6 vs TGC2019 as well... not sure why exactly, since the data fed from Mevo+ is the same, but each software does have to take that information and so something with it, so there can be differences in implementation of the data provided.

My issues with Mevo+ have been more spin axis related, but the more I use it and trust it the more I'm finding much of my issue may have been more me and my indoor swings than the Mevo+. My next frontier is outdoor mode... My last 2 outdoor session showed some odd discrepancies, but the range I was at had really really poor quality range balls, so I need to get to a range with newer or at least more consistent range balls and try again before I make any judgements on outdoor accuracy..

Good luck!

Not sure I can add a ton except a bit of my experience in the areas you are struggling.

Putting
    - like Tony I can't stand simulator putting regardless of the sim (I've owned SkyTrak and now Mevo+ and I have access to a Trackman golf studio once a week) and I opt for random putts (Trackman is my favorite version of this as you setup percentage chance at certain distances whereas E6 kills me with 3 putts and TGC I don't think I've seen random as an option).
    - is the "stimp" of the mat between your hitting mat and the net/screen reasonably fast? I ask this because I tried to use my M+ for putting on some high density carpet in the basement to try out Golfisimo mini golf for my kid and getting anything to register was basically impossible. If I hit probably a 60' putt speed it would pick it up but go 15-20' and if I hit anything less than 60' it just wouldn't read it at all. Because radar is measuring the deceleration of the putt along the way I think it was just decelerating so quickly on the slow surface it caused issues.
    - Once I used a putting carpet to get proper speed the no reads dropped down to close to zero for anything over a 10' putt. Short putts are a challenge in general with radar from what I can tell (we haven't played with the Trackman putting much though so maybe it is better).

Chipping
    - I did some testing for another member awhile back in one of the threads but the short summary is my net is 9' from my hitting area and as long as my ball flies 7' roughly the M+ picks it up. The consistency was a bit tough in terms of a yard or two off but everything reads.
    - I'm guessing this isn't your issue but even if I do an 8 iron bump and run I must select a wedge in the software for it to register at all.

TGC2019
    - I haven't used this in a bit but I actually think I play rounds at the fully extended setup not the E6 more upright. Try playing around with this and see if it helps.
    - When you look a the camera alignment I'm also assuming it has the cross line at roughly the right height of your ball and the unit isn't looking too high (mine's always lined up so I've never had to play with it).
    - Have you tried the free E6 software to see if that works better for you? I have no good reason why it would but I'd give it a try and similarly how is chipping in the FS Golf app (I don't think that app reads putts)

General Comment
    - I'd keep trying if getting reads is your problem. Also try calling Foresight support as they were super helpful with me when I was figuring things out (different issues to you). They could remote in to detect interference (sounds like your room is way cleaner than mine) and capture some data on shots to help diagnose issues.
    - Chipping should be able to get to be as good as comparable launch monitors in my opinion (this means at a similar price point and not Uneekor at 3x cost) and I find M+ as good as my SkyTrak was in this area but neither are perfect (nor is the 10x more expensive Trackman).
    - If anything above "functional" is your goal on putting I think you may have the wrong device. Maybe I'll be proven wrong with more firmware updates and even convinced to putt in sim golf but my guess is you should be getting reads almost all the time but expecting great accuracy on speed feels unlikely to me.

Comment

• JakeGeezy
      JakeGeezy commented
      Editing a comment
      Gresh12 do they charge you to call them for help with the set up?

• Gresh12
      Gresh12 commented
      Editing a comment
      No I just called the tech support number I found online. I'm in Canada so I paid long distance charges but that's different.

My concern was very different (spin axis on low lofted clubs which .09 has substantially helped with) but I was on the phone with them for almost an hour, they had me try a bunch of things, they ran a radar interference test remotely, they had me hit some shots and forward them reporting from the app and then a day later emailed me a few things to try but said really my "solution" was wait for .09.

Their customer support has been top notch for me on the tech issue and I also had to make changes to my shipping address the day my unit was shipping which they helped with no problem (I was lucky and was in early patch before COVID delays). It's one of the first companies I've ever really felt sorry for as they have a great product (not perfect) and seem to be trying to do customer service right but have brutal optics right now due to COVID supply chain breakdowns that probably weren't much their fault.

Originally posted by Gresh12 View Post
    Not sure I can add a ton except a bit of my experience in the areas you are struggling.

Putting
    - like Tony I can't stand simulator putting regardless of the sim (I've owned SkyTrak and now Mevo+ and I have access to a Trackman golf studio once a week) and I opt for random putts (Trackman is my favorite version of this as you setup percentage chance at certain distances whereas E6 kills me with 3 putts and TGC I don't think I've seen random as an option).
    - is the "stimp" of the mat between your hitting mat and the net/screen reasonably fast? I ask this because I tried to use my M+ for putting on some high density carpet in the basement to try out Golfisimo mini golf for my kid and getting anything to register was basically impossible. If I hit probably a 60' putt speed it would pick it up but go 15-20' and if I hit anything less than 60' it just wouldn't read it at all. Because radar is measuring the deceleration of the putt along the way I think it was just decelerating so quickly on the slow surface it caused issues.
    - Once I used a putting carpet to get proper speed the no reads dropped down to close to zero for anything over a 10' putt. Short putts are a challenge in general with radar from what I can tell (we haven't played with the Trackman putting much though so maybe it is better).

General Comment
    - I'd keep trying if getting reads is your problem. Also try calling Foresight support as they were super helpful with me when I was figuring things out (different issues to you). They could remote in to detect interference (sounds like your room is way cleaner than mine) and capture some data on shots to help diagnose issues.
    - Chipping should be able to get to be as good as comparable launch monitors in my opinion (this means at a similar price point and not Uneekor at 3x cost) and I find M+ as good as my SkyTrak was in this area but neither are perfect (nor is the 10x more expensive Trackman).
    - If anything above "functional" is your goal on putting I think you may have the wrong device. Maybe I'll be proven wrong with more firmware updates and even convinced to putt in sim golf but my guess is you should be getting reads almost all the time but expecting great accuracy on speed feels unlikely to me.
    Gresh12 Great comments on the putting surface speed... in my limited trials with putting, I have a Wellputt mat I'm using, that stimps at close to 13, so pretty fast.. which made it difficult as well... I barely tap the ball to get it to my screen, and unfortunatly have a little bump to cross just after my hitting strip, so I have more no-reads I think due to the opposite speed challenge you had and the lack of perfectly smooth surface.. I tried setting the stimp in E6 to help compensate, which did make a bit of difference, but while setting the stimp to 16 helped a bit with putting, it pretty much made holding a green impossible... I think finding the right speed putting surface/mat without any large bumps or deflections may be key here to getting more functional putting...

Which is the second point I agree with... don't expect stellar sim putting. Functional is a good way to put it.. I'd personally be ectatic with an 80-90% read rate on putts, and don't have any high expectations of accuracy at all.. regardless of device.

Comment

Ok, so got some more time on the mevo+. It works good (maybe great) for the first 15 minutes and then for some reason it stops working at all.

Couple other funny items:
      - Unit goes on standby and I can’t seem to get it off.
      - if I reset the unit it seems to work well for 15 minutes and then stops.
      - I find that Chip shots (10 - 50 yard’s) read better when the club selection is a 6 iron or 7 iron.

Comment

• Gresh12
        Gresh12 commented
        Editing a comment
        This does seem like faulty unit in some way if it's cycling in and out of standby and turning itself off. Have you run the unit while plugged in or just off the battery?

I've used mine 95% off battery personally but I'm wondering if your device would at least stay on while connected to power (clearly not a long term success but something to troubleshoot). Just make sure to plug in the device before you turn it on otherwise it still seems to run off the battery even after plugged in for me.

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        I will try this morning on battery power vs plugged in. Good suggestion.

JakeGeezy Tonybrown mentioned earlier to download E6 and test with it. I agree. I had both E6 and TGC19 and had completely different results with regards to chipping and putting. With E6 I could get the M+ to read chips of 2ft. It would read almost all short chips. Did find the accuracy of the short ones to be a little inconsistent sometimes. Putting was also very good in E6. I could get it to read 4 ft putts but I had to use a non marked ball. With the marked ball it struggled to read accurate.
      Switching to TGC19, I then could not get any chip under 8 yards (24 feet). I tried bump and runs and changing club selected, it did not matter. Tried all sorts of M+ angle settings. No go.
      I could switch back to E6 and it worked fine.
      I talked to FS and ProTee and did not get a fix or explanation as to why. ProTee explained that it just is waiting for the data from the launch monitor and does not restrict shot registration. FS had no explanation.
      I know this does not help you as I have no answer for this but if you try E6 and have the same experience as I had you could at least talk to FS and explain its happened to others and they need to look into it. I no longer have my Mevo+ so I don’t have an other information about it. I found TGC19 was unplayable with the issue.
      As for the unit freezing up, I only noticed it after the 09 update. I only used it once after the update and it froze up on the 3rd shot. It has to be related. I never saw it prior to that update.
      Flightscope support is very good. Approachable and helpful. Call them, they will help.

Comment

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        pwade3 on e6 I got no shots at all to read (chips, putts, full shots etc.). I still need to try it on e6 again. The reason I havent is because I got the unit to read pretty dang well this morning. I’ll post an update for what I did in a couple hours but in short, I moved the ball closer to the unit (like 4 feet from unit to ball).

tonybrown32 how do you know if your roll is incorrect?

• Gresh12
        Gresh12 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not in front of my setup today but is there a setting for sleep time in TGC and are your non armed shots because the radar goes to sleep?

I honestly don’t recall setting it for TGC or E6 so maybe there is no sleep timer but I know in FS Golf if I don’t increase the default I often run in to my radar sleeping between shots.

I honestly have no idea what the lights mean during play. My unit has blue, green and red going back there that I just ignore without issue. It’s possible a light may change before my occasional no read (and as I think on it I can’t recall my last no read in sim but they happen a couple times a session in FS Golf).

One thing I just thought of is do you play with one ball or a few? I’m just making sure no additional balls with metal stickers are sitting in radars view. I have no idea if that’s an issue but it can’t help.

Also try chipping and putting with no metal sticker to see if that helps on the no reads. I chip with the dot but my kid always wants to play with her coloured golf balls which I don’t put dots on and her crazy duffs and shanks etc almost always read.

I hit 20 putts off my Fiberbuilt flight deck yesterday (with a putting carpet) and all read. I note this because it’s picking them up even with the 2” drop off the front. While I don’t putt much, since .09 The times I’ve tried it reads so it really seems something up with your unit based on combination of issues.

• tonybrown32
        tonybrown32 commented
        Editing a comment
        JakeGeezy when I put a small level on top of my unit, and get it level, my roll reads -1.2 degrees in the FS Golf app. I tested a little with -1.7 roll and again at +1.7 roll values and it seemed to make a difference in my spin axis reads... not a ton, but enough to notice.

Chipping:

Putting:

Course play including chipping and putting:

Comment

• pwade3
        pwade3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, thank you. I had watched all those vids when they first came out. I am positive it is not the software. I could use my Skytrak with the TGC19 and it worked perfectly. Short chips and putts were fine. Have used it for many years. The Mevo+ just would not register short shots.

Update:

So, after messing around with it more I've gotten much better reliability and more shots registering. Here's what I did to my setup:

Putting
      - Made all the surfaces completely flush for putting. Prior to doing this, there was, at most, 1/16 of an inch after the hitting mat and transitioning to the carpet. I'm not certain this made any difference as much as the next tweak mentioned below.
      - Moved the ball closer to the unit for putting and chipping. Putting was 3 feet from the unit and sometimes 2 feet when I wasn't having much luck. Eventually I settled on about 2.5 feet in front of the unit. I also aligned the putts in the dead center of the unit (I had been doing this prior to this, but I made sure of it every time I putted). When on the putting green I got 9/10 to read well enough to be accurate on a 10 foot putt.

Chipping
      - Moved the ball closer to the unit. I ended up settling on roughly 4 feet from the unit.
      - Aligned the ball slightly towards the camera of the unit
      - Didn't bother with changing the type of shot or iron in the gameplay (ie from flop shot to pitch, or sand wedge to 8 iron etc.)
      - On the chipping green I got 10/10 to read well enough to be accurate at about a 15 yard chip and even picked short bump and runs well.

Both of these changes are somewhat bizarre I've never seen anyone recommend hitting so close to the unit but it seems to be working nicely.....

However, still having some issues:
      - Alignment still is off. I get several pulls when the shots are not pulls.
      - After 4 hours of really good readings, I got the dreaded 'double green' lights, which indicates the unit is on standby and I couldn't get it off of standby. I shut it down and restarted several times and even disconnected from FS interface and wifi.

Current rating: 7.5 and trending up

Any thoughts on the alignment or standby (freezing) issues?

Comment

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve turned off my unit several times and now left it off for nearly 2 hours and it is still frozen.

Wow very surprising results in terms of being so close, I have not seen this before either and was very surprised to read what you wrote. The only issue that I felt on my wedges was that my body would get in the way (resolved by chipping on the left edge of the hitting window for my TM) or that my club would travel at the same speed as the ball on short chips (again resolved by moving the ball to the left edge of where the hitting zone).

glad to hear you have made such good progress playing around with things.

not sure I got this in some of your comments, but are these issues experienced only when using TGC or for e6 as well?

Comment

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        These are all experiences in TGC2019. I haven’t dabbled in E6 yet.

Jake I just looked through the thread again and did not see you mention how the unit worked while using the flightscope app. Have you given that a try? I have been going through my own issues as well which I am trying to work through. I seem to make a little progress at a time to correct issues but then something else seems to pop up. I have been trying to remain positive about things but I now have almost no confidence in the information my mevo+ is giving me. This might help you, one suggestion FS support gave me over the phone was to raise the mevo+ up 1/2” to 3/4” when playing E-6. Putting was more accurate when I did that. Chipping for me is a a real problem in both FS app and E-6. The chips get read but the launch angles are all over the place. As for the locking up I get that too but not to the extent that turning off my unit and turning it back has not worked. It can be very frustrating to have to stop turn the unit on and of and restart E-6. No reads and misreads seem to happen quite frequently. At times it seems like I have no issues then the mevo+ seems to get a mind of its own. I am hoping to get this all sorted out. I really want the mevo+ to work. I have put a lot of time, effort, and money into this whole endeavor. I realize my outdoor set up is part of the challenge in all of this but it may come down to sending my unit back to FS. Hope you get your issues figured out.

Comment

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good suggestion. I will try that tomorrow. And yes you're totally right. Confidence is lost, launch angles are all over the place with chips some times (and with driver too). If I can play sim golf reliably but data is not accurate, I'm still OK with that but just barely. Its' on shaky grounds right now after freezing up now for at least 5 hours and no solution in sight.

I was just watching a video where a guy was playing with a GC2 and it looked so nice -- good launch angles, no mis-reads and able to get delicate on chips. Felt like watching him play real golf.

• JakeGeezy
        JakeGeezy commented
        Editing a comment
        So the unit turned on with no issues this morning. It had been turned off for 18 hours. I did close out three applications of the same TGC interface so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Anyways, I played around with moving the distance to unit and noticed that a bit further away resulted in more realistic launch angles. Still configuring but getting better.

For what it’s worth, I believe FS states that the distance from monitor for chipping and putting should be around 5feet. That’s for the short game app. For e6 that distance changes to 7ft. For tgc2019 I can’t say. I have an X3 and what happens when u change from long shots to chips or putts is that the unit changes it’s level, roll and tilt. In short it lowers its camera for the closer shots.

Comment

Hi, I have the same kind of issues reading chipping and putting strokes but i struggle to find the right spot to strike because I am left handed and there is no information available to say if the zone is inverted or not (usually the putting zone is at the right of the alignment). Actually I use the right side but it is on my hitting mat which is too short and too high to have a good read for short game.

thanks to Lefties for sharing their experience
        Last edited by Targuy; 06-29-2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• tonybrown32
          tonybrown32 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll provide my advice on alignment that have helped me.. as I play with both lefties and righties, although I rarely use the putting feature.. at first I thought my unit was off, but better alignment, and paying better attention to my game on course, has provided much more confidence that my Mevo is pretty accurate, although I don't always like the results.. lol.

When aligning, don't be too concerned if the ball is lined up with the camera or the middle of the unit... go into the FS Golf app, and into the alignment screen, and make sure the vertical red line crosses through both your ball and your aiming point on your screen... it can take a little moving or turning of the Mevo, but get it line up well... for me it really helped to put some alignment sticks, or my WellPutt putting mat in front of the ball and draw a perfectly straight line from ball to screen, then put a ball on my hitting mat, and another ball up at the screen at my impact point, and line up the red line in the app alignment screen through all of them.. taking the time to really align the red line through the hitting area/ball to the impact point on your screen was one of the more significant things to make a difference in my setup, as well as making sure the "roll" value on my unit in the setup screen is within 0.3 degrees of zero... when the roll values get high, I start to see some slight spin axis biases, even if the value is still "green" in the app... try to get the roll close to zero by shimming up a corner of the Mevo if needed.

Then somehow mark where the center/impact spot on your screen is for a while by hanging a string there, or put an alignment stick on the floor in front of the screen so you know where that spot is... it's easy for the center of your screen/alignment to seem different when addressing the ball than standing behind it, especially indoors with less depth perception. Then while hitting, pay attention to where your ball impacts the screen/net and compare to your Horizontal Launch Angle value Mevo+ gives you... the further your ball is from impacting center line, greater your HLA value should be.. will give you an idea of if the start line is accurate/correlating with what you expect.

In my setup, I have a 20 inch wide CCE hitting strip. I align everything to the center of that strip, to the center of my screen/impact point. Players (lefty or righty) can put the ball down anywhere within 6" on either side of that center line without any meaningful/noticable effects to the numbers we get...

My Mevo+ is currently 7ft 8in behind the ball which seems to work well enough for me in both E6 and FS Golf/Skills apps.. I can move the ball a good 6" further or closer to the Mevo, again without any noticable differences in numbers..

When I first got my Mevo, I had some weird vertical launch angles... would show exactly 20.0 for 90% of my shots through all the mid irons.. had to send it in and the recalibrated it... Vertical launch has been good since. I've also noticed the mat you use can have an impact on VLA as well.. my fiberbuilt is kinda fluffy, so tended to give me higher launch since I hit the ball a tad higher on the face with irons on fiberbuilt.. my CCE has been more like what I see on course... but to each their own on mats... they are swing dependant for sure... many don't like CCE for it's harsh feel on fat shots... i've hit hundreds of balls on it now, and no issues for me at all even with my tennis elbow issues.. which I had concerns about..

Good luck!

• JakeGeezy
          JakeGeezy commented
          Editing a comment
          tonybrown32 this is a great write-up. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Will def be giving this a try when I get back to my unit this coming Sunday. I called flightscope today and they recommended the same thing regarding the red line in the FS app.

Other nuggets of knowledge gleamed from FS support:
          1) Launch Angles can be impacted by the radar not appropriately recognizing the floor. If the floor isn't flat, it will think the floor is higher/lower than it is and give lower/higher than expected launch angles.
          2) All FS units have thresholds for interference and are made to offset those interference up to a certain point.
          3) Freezing units have been known to be caused by having too many applications that are trying to connect to the same mevo+ unit. This includes TGC interface apps, FS apps, E6, etc.
          4) The cone of radar starts at the unit and spreads out until it sees a sharp drop off in ball speed (when the ball hits the screen).
          5) Engineers are still recommending 8 feet ball to unit for hitting and 7 feet for putting.
          6) If seeing strange reads in any other application, try to recreate it in FS App. This will eliminate the variable of the software being the issue and so that the app can gather the data and send it in to FS to be analyzed for future firmware upgrades.

• tonybrown32
          tonybrown32 commented
          Editing a comment
          JakeGeezy a few comments on what you heard from FS...

1. VLA - agree floor environment can make a difference... it's another thing that I forgot to mention showed significant improvements in my consistency and numbers... having a flat surface from Mevo+ to ball, all the same level, no "dip" at all... Mine works best putting a number of foam squares that are 2'x2' built up to the same height of my hitting surface from mat back to the Mevo+. I put my Mevo on the mats at the same surface. That was my ideal configuration... worked ok with the Mevo+ on the floor as well, and setting the FS Golf App tee height to 2 inches... having the Mevo on a couple tiles, with a 2" deep gap between Mevo and hitting mat was the worst.

3. Can confirm the Mevo does not like more than 1 app at a time trying to connect.... ALWAYS make sure all other apps are closed fully before opening another. It also doesn't do well if my iPad tries to autoconnect back to my home WiFi. I make sure to set my iPad to NOT auto connect to my home WiFi.. it's dedicated to the Mevo+ only to avoid issues.

5. 8 feet is ideal for sure for full swings, 7' is better for putting. I split the difference and use it around 7' 8", and it seems to work fine, but your mileage may vary... I do that so I don't have to mess much with it switching between E6 for sim range and the FS apps. May not work for all environments.

6. Agree with using the FS Golf app to troubleshoot. It's a great app, has all the settings for alignment and environmental adjustments like distance to Mevo and tee height, and the best part is if you have some odd things occurring in a session, submit feedback through the app, refer to the session and explain your issue, and support will get back to you via email... the engineers have all your app and hardware data then to troubleshoot... works well. I've emailed FS in the past with issues, and they always suggest giving feedback through the app so they can see the data in the session to troubleshoot..

Keep at it.. there are some quirks for sure.. and many have already been ironed out in the firmware updates that were released. I do wish there was less "fiddling" with it or less of a learning curve... I think quite a bit of many new user issues are setup related... with their X3, it sets tilt/roll/height all automatically... we save about $10k by having to do all that ourselves... kind of the trade off.

Update
        After some more configuration, I'm getting better results but still having issues with pushes/pulls and putting.

Alignment
        Getting the proper alignment seemed to help the most. Before playing on TGC2019 I set up my unit in the FS App so that I can get the tilt to 12 degrees exactly and roll to 0 degrees (roll is a bit of a misnomer; it should read "level" as this measurement is reading whether your unit is level to the ground). Once I set this up, I disconnect from the FS App by 'forgetting' the wifi in my iphone. This ensures the unit is not sending signal to the iphone and the PC, which can result in a frozen mevo.

Chipping
        Distance is pretty accurate. But VLA is still suffering (sometimes a low bump and run will read as a high lob shot). I think the VLA is impacted by how close you are to the unit and I can't find a spot that is consistently the best, although I have settled for around 4 ft from the unit which works probably 80% of the time.

Putting
        Similar to chipping, I can't find the best spot to hit from, the long putts read worse, and the HLA is off. On TGC2019 I get about 5 out 10 reads. The longer ones, somewhat counterintuitively, struggle the most. Anything over 15 feet and it takes more attempts to read and the open/close degrees are way off. On E6, putting is much better although the open/closed issue still pops up, albeit less.

3-wood and Driver
        HLA and VLA are an issue about 3 out of 10 shots. VLA is far too high for driver (18 to 21 degrees) and HLA reads too far left or right.

Summary: 7.5 still as lack of putting makes a round of sim golf frustrating.

If I could get putting to be more accurate (ie read the direction and speed mostly correct) this would help immensely as I could play a round of golf without frustration. Anybody have any tips on putting and fixing HLA with 3-wood and driver?

Comment

Putting has been pretty reliable since i set up a 4' x 16' level platform (mevo at back, full shot strike zone 8 ft ahead, putting 7 ft ahead, screen 11ft from strike zone. Getting some crazy high launch, mostly from soft chips (<30 ft); maybe 1 out of 20 shots, but setup isn't 100% finished. haven't tried varying chipping distance. have a 12' x 24" piece of plexiglass for full shot, so hope can chip from 8 ft as well. i was wondering about club/ball confusion in these cases weird putt/chip reads.

In my limited experience, putting and chipping are borderline realistic in lots of simulators, so, i've kinda just accepted these limitations. once everything is finalized in my set up, my plan is to use E6 practice as a way to fine tune alignment so that don't have to go into (an out of) FS golf every single time. Mark a spot where M+ sits, use the red plastic tool for angle. Use 20 ft flat putt and aim at ball on screen. Putt left of ball on screen should go left of pin, right should go right, and direct hit should go to pin. Same with driving range - there is a white disc to aim at. Ball strike left of that disc should go left, right should go right, etc.

Comment

• zuhdi
            zuhdi commented
            Editing a comment
            for putting and chipping i would agree, but for full shots it would depend on face angle i would think. your path could be left, but face open, the ball should move left on contact but after a short distance the ball would veer right. the distance to the impact zone is too short to see that movement and the distance traveled left would be so short for the recorded shot that it won't be noticed on the playback. but it's all dependent on path and face angle

• tinker812
            tinker812 commented
            Editing a comment
            agree - was just talking about set up and alignment. Spin axis seems to be where radar struggles - i'm guessing b/c of the limited time to few read side revolutions, particularly with longer clubs. i can totally accept it because it has been so good at direction, distance, and quality of strike. can live with suboptimal readings on push draw and pull fade (pull draws and push slices seem accurate indoors) - can figure that sophisticated shot shaping stuff outside at range (with help of mevo!) if necessary...
        Working...
        X