Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good camera for Foresight FSX

Hi guys,

i know there a many posts, but im looking for something special.
    I'm playing with GC2+HMT and FSX for training mode.
    In FSX you can easy add a USB camera - tried it with a normal USB webcam.

I want a camera with the following specs:
    - min 120 fps
    - for front view
    - working with FSX
    - distance ball <-> camera 2.7 yards / 2.5 meters
    - pricy <500
    Would be nice if i dont have to start the camera and activate slow motion function.
    Will be great if i start the computer and the camera works immediately without pushing any button (-:

Thanks for help!!
    Philip

I'm currently using two of the gigE cameras from Imaging Source. My house is wired for Ethernet so this is a great solution for me.

DFK 33GP1300 at 1,280×960 and 90 fps ( https://youtu.be/k6xZ6ARzn9I <--- This is what that cam looks like )

DFK 33G618 at 640×480 and 120 fps ( Plenty of light but pixely due to resolution )

I personally like the higher resolution over the light but both would be ideal. These aren't cheap or perfect but they do the job I need.

Somebody above mentioned IDS cameras. Are these supported by Foresight? I thought it was only FLIR, Imaging Source and Webcams.

Comment

• Baller
      Baller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I have to use IDS because of Swinguru Pro. Yes, it works, but the picture is flipped so I have to load another profile with the video mirrored up/down and save that to try parameter set before loading FSX. Does the video work incredibly better with your cams? Is it worth buying a separate cam for each? What did you do when you had Swinguru? You still have it?

• StanMI
      StanMI commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the Dr. Lewis Leaky needs to meet his early demise !!! (I know him WWAAYY too well!!)

They do look like nice cameras. How do they work with FSX ?? Is it just a continuous thread or are the triggered in the system some how ??

• mmlincon
      mmlincon commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, didn't see these. These cameras work good in FSX. I just set the fps and the rest is auto. As long as nothing changes with the settings in FSX they come up fine when it's loaded. I have swinguru on a different computer and never tried the IDS in FSX. I have the 3250LE on swinguru which is actually a nice camera but a little too dark. The slowmo is very clear and crisp just too dark.

I use the FSX cam tools for quick and dirty analysis. If I want to analyize a swing frame by frame I'll open it in something else.

I just picked up a PTGrey cam and it'll be here next week so I"m interested in see how that one is. Lenses are a whole other issue to work out.

I am looking at some IDS 3240CP cameras. Are they compatible with FSX2018? I am seeing that this camera is not plug n play either...

Comment

• Baller
      Baller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they do work. I use them.

• LEO MODE
      LEO MODE commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot for ur info!

• LEO MODE
      LEO MODE commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh by the way, can you alter different fps's for the camera within FSX? As far as I know FSX only defaults it at whatever the camera's default is for the fps.

I use IDS WITH Swinguru and Brio with FSX, Both work very well.

Comment

• Baller
      Baller commented
      Editing a comment
      Aohare, Have you found any easier way with the picture rotation between Swinguru and fax? I have settings files saved where I load the file and save to the parameter set before starting each program. Is that what you doing or sis you find another way, or does the camera you use not have that issue?

Anyone knows if Ximea will work with FSX? Trying to compare Ximea vs IDS.

Comment

Been messing around with my new UI-3140CP and how's this for giggles? 279 fps and a pretty good picture. I wish Foresight would make it easier to use IDS cameras.

I ordered a new light that should be here tomorrow to mess with my lighting, as it does need a good amount of light for this speed but I recorded a swing and yes, it really is at that speed. I counted about 75 frames just from the top to impact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	279 fps FSX.JPG
Views:	3007
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	186414
      It was not a fast swing as I am not yet cleared to take a real swing, but enough to see it work. Click image for larger version

Name:	At Impact.JPG
Views:	2969
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	186415

Comment

• robpf
        robpf commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there anything you did to get the IDS camera to work with FSX? I have an older IDS camera that FSX sees but it will only give me 11 fps, the camera is easily capable of over 10 time that

I just purchased 3140 as well. Can you make the FPS even more by adjusting the resolution using IDS app? I'm sure IDS is far more than enough, heck even iPhone 240fps is good for swing analysis. 3140 can just capture even better impact frame by frame.

Comment

• sherrow70
        sherrow70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where is the best place to buy this camera?

• StanMI
        StanMI commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd also like to know.

Is there a lens option that might take away a little of the "fish eye" look?

• LEO MODE
        LEO MODE commented
        Editing a comment
        It sells online at their homepage:

The UI-3140CP with 1/2" global shutter CMOS sensor PYTHON 1300 by onsemi provides maximum flexibility for your application. The sensor delivers even images with 169 fps at full resolution (1280 x 1024 px) in freerun or trigger mode, for standard machine

Getting it to work with FSX, is easier than you may think. First off, you need to go into the camera manager and make the settings all work for you. Make sure you click the mirror image to mirror up/down.. Then, save the settings to a FILE so yo7 have them and call it FSX something so you know. And save another file without the mirrored image for regular applications.

Save me the settings to the parameter set and ignore the warning that comes up as it is irrelevant. Once in FSX, you may have to play around to make it work how yo want. Each resolution in FSX seems to pull up a different profile/par set set in FSX. It seems that the 640x480 works best. That’s what I used and I had that in my camera’s parameter set as well. Hope that makes sense and helps. I’m happy to share my settings file with anyone who wants it. Let me know and I’ll try to post or pm it later.

I bought the camera on ebay from out of the country here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/-NEW-iDS-uE...edirect=mobile

might be worth paying for expedited shipping as it took about 3 weeks to get. The lens it comes with is worthless unless you want a picture of your ball spin.

You could also get this from 1st vision, but every time I try to give those guys business, they fail miserably at responding to emails and this price is much lower anyway.

The lens I got is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-Fu...72.m2749.l2649 (was only $25)

You could loose the fisheye, I believe by not using a zoom lens or maybe just a better one. I think my Tamron lens may be better but this one seems to let more light in. I will try to compare them later today.

I also bought a nice 3130 that isn’t as fast and a little less expensive, but haven’t played around with it much yet. Not sure if I’m keeping it or selling it since I got this working well.The only difficulty with this one is the cable length.... may need fiber to make it longer than 15 feet, while the 3130 works with an inexpensive repeater cable.
      Last edited by Baller; 02-14-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Baller
        Baller commented
        Editing a comment
        Just tested my Tamron zoom lens and it doesn't look any different. I like the zoom lenses because I'm still toying around with where I'm putting my cameras. If you know exactly where you want yours, you could try a fixed one and there's a calculator on the IDS site.

I've decided to sell my two Imaging Source cameras. Both work well with FSX but they are PoE Cameras. I thought I'd mention it here before I put them on ebay. If you are interested at all send me a PM. For forum members I'll let them go for $300 ea with lens.

DFK 33GP1300 w/ OptiTrack low distortion 3.5mm F2.4 lens and adapter
      DFK 33G618 w/ OptiTrack low distortion 3.5mm F1.6 Lens and adapter

Comment

I had instant success using cameras(2) from The Imaging Source, Charlotte.
        I bought USB 3.0 cameras (check your free USB ports before choosing) and these are faster than GigE cameras to my analysis.

DFX 33UX273 1440x1080 and >200 frames per second with correct software, maybe 120fps on FSX in my use.
        T2Z1816CS Varifocal Industrial Lens, 1.8-3.6mm focal length. This is about 12'wx10'h (full swing) at 5-9 ft away.

Unless you know what you are doing, buy the 5m USB/USB cable too, as they are not you're usually USB cable.
        I used one face on, one down the line a bit further away; both on $30 plastic tripods available at Best Buy locally.

After Windows recognizes the hardware (reboot after plugging) FSX picked them both up right away. FXS has options to choose different resolutions which will enhance swing speed but at 120fps that's fine for me. download some The Imaging Source software tools to check the camera setups without FSX running.

No lighting issues under 2 LED Floods.
        Last edited by dawms; 02-25-2019, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• orangeman
          orangeman commented
          Editing a comment
          Can you post a couple of stills?

• dawms
          dawms commented
          Editing a comment
          Can do. On travel now. Monday.

Comment

• StanMI
          StanMI commented
          Editing a comment
          dawms.....can you please post up a link to the camera and lenses combo your using. I did a search but all I get is some nice hair extensions. They could also prove useful but just not for this.........

• JeffW
          JeffW commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Are you using the latest update ($750) to the foresight software? Currently I only have one camera hooked up and it works well, however I dont seem to have the option for it to show my swing automatically after I hit. I can choose Flight, Club and Table screens to show after the shot but none of those will show my actual swing. To see that after each shot I have to go and click on the analysis tab and then I can watch the swing full, half or quarter speed over and over. Thoughts?

• Todd Bondy
          Todd Bondy commented
          Editing a comment
          What is interesting to me is that the imaging source DFK 33UX273 camera you are using is capable of much higher FPS(226 I believe) and much higher resolution(1440 x 1080) yet the screen shot that dawms shared shows only a 120 FPS and a 1040/720 resolution which begs the question, why? I own two Kaeyton cameras and am frustrated by the blur of the shaft at the bottom of the swing and was hoping that with a more powerful camera, I could get a better quality image. The Kaeyton cameras on FSX provide equal performance. I have added a ton of light to my room to improve things but am still stumped as to how to solve this image quality issue.

37U Series Color Industrial Camera, USB 3.1 Interface, 1/2.9 inch Sony CMOS Pregius IMX273 Sensor, 1,440×1,080 (1.6 MP), up to 238 fps, Pixel Size: H: 3.45 µm, V: 3.45 µm, Global Shutter, Trigger and I/O Inputs, Only 36×36×25 mm, Windows Software and Linux Software Included.

they sold me the lens as well. Be very sure of the distance from golfer to camera as it influences the lense choice dramatically.

Comment

• GoldenSim
          GoldenSim commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi dawms - can you give us a rough idea of what pricing was for each camera and lens combo from these guys?

All paid at list price. For the cameras, I don't believe there is a discount opportunity. For the lenses their certainly is. $400 for the camera I listed and $210 for the lens. Given that is easy to be wrong about lens choices, especially when consider camera sensor size variability, I would recommend providing the dimensions (distance to golfer), and probably about 10' height to see the whole swing easily to The Imaging Source people via email (RFQ process) and get your quote and recommendations back. If they figure it wrong, you can return to correct the mistake. I'm an engineer, so I had a good time revisiting old optics courses, ray diagrams and adjusting for different sensor sizes, global or rolling shutter,etc. ; you ---- might not have so much fun. I hate to pay list price, but I also want everything to work right. As others have mentioned, more light in the space allows for faster frame rates. Or going for lower resolution sensors makes for faster frame rates. I bought the DFK 33UX273 (color) with the Sony Pregius sensor; however the same (almost) sensor can be bought as DK33UX287. The Sony sensor in this case bundles 4 pixels together which collects more light (higher frame rate in lower light conditions) at the expense of resolution - 720x540. This resolution, in my examination, is still more than FSX '18 displays anyway so I'm not sure you'll notice the difference? I bought my camera with higher resolution for other engineering pursuits when not used for golf; also, if you use another swing analysis tool (I don't) you might want a high-res full screen video for which the DFK33UX273 would be better suited, as I have purchased for $400.
        Last edited by dawms; 04-04-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Did you get a camera sorted
          if so can you send me details i would be most grateful

Comment

Interesting, I requested a quote from Imaging Source for the DFK33UX273 camera and they asked what it was going to be used for. I said FSX2018. They said they couldn't provide me with a quote and to contact Foresight Sports. WTF?

Comment

• Baller
              Baller commented
              Editing a comment
              imaging source is a pain in the rear. they are so unprofessional I can't stand it. They wouldn't bother replying to one of my emails because all I needed was an IDS mount for my cam and that's a waste of their time.

Much better sales and service from Allsportsystems.

Originally posted by mmlincon View Post
            Interesting, I requested a quote from Imaging Source for the DFK33UX273 camera and they asked what it was going to be used for. I said FSX2018. They said they couldn't provide me with a quote and to contact Foresight Sports. WTF?

That model camera seems to be available from other vendors. $395. Is that accurate?

Do they make a professional type camera with great quality, high FPS that has a wide angle view? Like a fisheye or something along those lines? I only have a 10' wide garage and i like to place a camera in front of me so it catches a side view (vs. a camera behind). Need a wide angle lens for this as the camera is only about 6' away from where I am standing.

Comment

Working...
            X