Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTERTOUR - The Genesis Open playing 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green) - 6836y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-genesis-open
See more
See less

Best cameras for GC Quad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best cameras for GC Quad

    Can anyone recommend a quality camera with high fps for a gc quad? I prefer plug and play. I'd like.it to be in slow motion right away without having to change too many settings. Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Unfortunately cannot help you but would like to know deferent opinions

    Comment


    • #3
      I use the LiveView-Pro which is very good, if this is what you mean??

      https://liveviewsports.com

      Comment


      • fortysixandtwo
        fortysixandtwo commented
        Editing a comment
        This has been my goto camera the last few weeks...been really liking being able to draw lines and use the mirror practice. Fixed my initial rolling inside takeaway in a few sessions.

    • #4
      This comes up all the time and there is no perfect answer. You will have varying options from $30 ebay/amazon webcams to $1000 custom cameras. FSX does support Imaging Source cameras out of the box so you could contact them for a quote. A rough idea from them would be:

      DFK 33UX287 $345 (0.4MP 539FPS)
      or
      DFK 33UX273 $399 (1.6MP 238FPS)

      Then you would need a lens such as the TBL 2.5 C 5MP but this will vary depending on how far the camera is from the golfer. These are around $30 each.

      Then they will try to sell you cables for like $100+ each. Avoid this as you can get them on Amazon for $15. So all in you are looking at around $900 for a pair of solid industrial cameras that are supported directly by FSX if you wanted to go that route.

      You could also use your iPhone and the app iVCam which works pretty well but won't get you the higher FPS you probably want. I have also used a Logitech Brio but its hard to get over 30-60 fps depending on lighting etc and if FSX doesn't support the camera directly it will only load the default FPS set on the camera (at least in my experience).

      Comment


      • StanMI
        StanMI commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you offer a little more detail on these cameras please ??

        How much light will I need ? How to know which lens (what works better from 10 feet and what works from 5)? Are the cable just USB or do they need to be powered ? Anything special to use them or is it as simple as selecting them from the drip down menu same as the $30 cameras ?
        Last edited by StanMI; 01-09-2021, 07:54 PM.

      • nicu2001
        nicu2001 commented
        Editing a comment
        The camera is here: https://www.theimagingsource.com/pro...or/dfk33ux273/

        Light will depend on the sensor size. The larger the sensor the more expensive the camera will become and may require a different more expensive lens (generally speaking). The brighter the room the better FPS you will get. You can also go black and white instead of color to improve FPS if that is what is most important.

        Lens selection you would need to speak to an imaging source representative for the right recommendation. It is based on the camera you select and your distance.

        The cables are USB to Micro B: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7T9AJ4/

        The cameras are generally plug and play and FSX directly supports imaging source and offers their drivers as an install during FSX install. As others have noted, you can get a decent image with decent FPS for under $100, but if you want higher end FPS and imaging, especially in lower light, you are going to be forced to spend more.

    • #5
      thanks for the info everyone. The guy from foresight gave me these three options.

      1- Logitech web cam. Google Logitech ultra wide USB webcam and a few options pop up ranging from 125-269 in price. These work and have decent picture but low frame rates




      2 - if you go to swingcatalyst.com and look at cameras you will see the USB dragon cameras. This is a decent camera at up to 90 FPS on USB and these work with FSX as well. (We are also the Swing Catalyst distributor for Canada). Cost is around 325 Canadian




      3 - The imaging source FSX camera. This is the GigE POE camera and it will be the best option for quality image, focal distance and frame rate. This camera is about $700 Canadian with lens, base and cable and requires either a POE adaptor or a specialty POE network card installed in the PC.

      That was copied and pasted right from the response I got from Foresight.


      Comment


      • enigmamatt
        enigmamatt commented
        Editing a comment
        I use Swingcatalyst and pair it with two IDS3140 cameras. I've shared some details and sample vids on this thread: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...swing-analysis

        I will say, I do not find FSX20's video capture very impressive. I actually use two separate PCs -- one for FSX and one for SwingCatalyst for the videos. While I hate the monthly fee for SC, it is the best video software out there right now in my opinion.

      • enigmamatt
        enigmamatt commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's one other thread where I shared some details. I will say -- lighting is tremendously important. When we finished this space, I had my contractor specifically put in extra lighting above my hitting area.

        https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...imulator-space

      • nicu2001
        nicu2001 commented
        Editing a comment
        Regarding option 3 and imaging source cameras, I would avoid GigE POE if you are able to get the USB version instead as it should have more bandwidth via USB.

    • #6
      Is the setup for the Quad the same as GC2/HMT ????

      I was just going to post the same question. It's been a while since I've seen it posted and with how technology changes thought there might be something new.

      Comment


      • #7
        After some reading I settled on the USB cameras that seem to be the same as sold by Swing Cat:
        https://shop-world.swingcatalyst.com...cts/dragon-usb
        BUT for a fraction of the cost , they are plug and play and Ive made no changes to setup.
        https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32917...03.32917794111
        I ordered one to see if it was any good and have been very pleased given the price. The better the light, the better the image. If you just want to enjoy using the cameras without dropping a large chunk of cash, then this is worth considering.

        Comment


        • #8
          Originally posted by 400driver View Post
          After some reading I settled on the USB cameras that seem to be the same as sold by Swing Cat:
          https://shop-world.swingcatalyst.com...cts/dragon-usb
          BUT for a fraction of the cost , they are plug and play and Ive made no changes to setup.
          https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32917...03.32917794111
          I ordered one to see if it was any good and have been very pleased given the price. The better the light, the better the image. If you just want to enjoy using the cameras without dropping a large chunk of cash, then this is worth considering.
          Do you have the link for the English version?

          Comment


        • #9
          Originally posted by Matt L View Post
          I use the LiveView-Pro which is very good, if this is what you mean??

          https://liveviewsports.com
          Only replying to say: please do not spend $350 for a 60FPS, 640x480 camera...

          Comment


          • #10
            I'm using Go Pros. You can get up to 240 FPS but it could be dark indoors.

            Comment


            • StanMI
              StanMI commented
              Editing a comment
              Do the GoPro cameras work with FSX ? If not, what are you using them with ?

            • westbeach
              westbeach commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, it works with FSX. You need the GoPro Webcam app.

          • #11
            The Dragon Camera from Swing Catalyst is actually a Kayeton camera - about $85 on DHGate, Aliexpress, or Amazon. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...5c817bafzndhWt

            It works well with FSX2020 - plug and play. But, do not expect super things out of a $85 camera, you get what you pay for, but for $85 it is pretty good! I since upgraded to Swing Catalyst software and 2 x IDS3140's - similar to Enigmamatt (FSX2020 video capture is very basic). Note: the more expensive the camera(s) you buy, the more lighting you will need. That also opens up the flickering issue - above 140fps you will notice flicker from your lighting (depending on your lighting), then you have to frequency match your fps to the lighting (60 cycles in USA and 50 cycles elsewhere). The sub-$100 cameras - no concern with flicker. If you want some decent video playback and plug and play, a Kayeton camera works well with FSX2020. Plus, lighting is not as instrumental - you will get a decent picture from just a few extra lights around the hitting area with a sub-$100 camera. For 2x IDS cameras - I have over 15,000 lumens above the hitting area (15 LED lights at near 1,000 lumens each). While very bright - the IDS cameras could take even more light! Hope this helps!

            Comment


            • #12
              westbeach - what kind of frame rates do you get with the GoPro cameras? Which version / model of camera are you using?

              Comment


              • #13
                I have been using a GoPro Hero 3+. I can only get 120 FPS. These are cool little cameras and all that but for viewing in super slow motion you need higher FPS. All I care about it is seeing frame-by-frame for my golf swing and I don't care about lighting, black and white would be fine, but really the 120 FPS is a deal breaker. I know the newer ones are way higher frame rates. But I am strongly considering the LiveView setup. That looks pretty sweet. Anybody using in their simulators? Slow motion is good?

                Comment


                • #14
                  I read only hero 7 and up worked? But several of you have posted using hero 3 or lower. How did you get this to work?

                  Comment


                  • preludesam
                    preludesam commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would like to know as well. I have a hero 6 I would like to give a shot before dropping cash.

                • #15
                  Originally posted by Carl Johnson View Post
                  The Dragon Camera from Swing Catalyst is actually a Kayeton camera - about $85 on DHGate, Aliexpress, or Amazon. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...5c817bafzndhWt

                  It works well with FSX2020 - plug and play. But, do not expect super things out of a $85 camera, you get what you pay for, but for $85 it is pretty good! I since upgraded to Swing Catalyst software and 2 x IDS3140's - similar to Enigmamatt (FSX2020 video capture is very basic). Note: the more expensive the camera(s) you buy, the more lighting you will need. That also opens up the flickering issue - above 140fps you will notice flicker from your lighting (depending on your lighting), then you have to frequency match your fps to the lighting (60 cycles in USA and 50 cycles elsewhere). The sub-$100 cameras - no concern with flicker. If you want some decent video playback and plug and play, a Kayeton camera works well with FSX2020. Plus, lighting is not as instrumental - you will get a decent picture from just a few extra lights around the hitting area with a sub-$100 camera. For 2x IDS cameras - I have over 15,000 lumens above the hitting area (15 LED lights at near 1,000 lumens each). While very bright - the IDS cameras could take even more light! Hope this helps!
                  I bought one if these cameras. Works great. I was surprised. Paid 100 bucks!

                  Comment


                  • Carl Johnson
                    Carl Johnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, for the money - it is pretty darn good!!!
                Working...
                X