New firm ware update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New firm ware update

I updated to FW 156 yesterday. So far I cannot see much difference between this one and FW 155. Also, I tried boost in TGC and it looks like that has not yet been implemented.
    I was wondering what others are finding?

Yes, the first shot was hit well right and the simulation shows that. The second shot hits about in the center and the numbers suggest it went 4 degrees right. Still, that does not seem that bad to me.

Now the last shot hits dead center of the screen and the display shows 12 degrees right. That one is certainly a misread and not all that uncommon for the ES 16 with a shot hit that fat.
    The thing is, I normally don't hit a lot of fat shots, so I would say my results may be better than most.

Comment

My problem was I was getting way to many shots both with the driver and irons that would show way different than what the impact would show. Hard to work on your swing when you are getting data that is not accurate. I dismissed those I hit fat as my fault, but I had a lot that were good hits that showed ball going far left or far right when impact told a different story.

Comment

Great videos Stone. Definitely the horizontal is the weak point. It's better for sure. How do you find it for draws and fades?

Comment

I’m finding it pretty accurate lately but having a whole lot of trouble with wedges. Mostly my Lob wedge. Sometimes it flies correctly, but more often not and almost all the time it says I m swinging anywhere from 25-35° in to out, even when I purposely put an out to in swing with an open stance on it.

Anyone else, or am I experience into something diffent. Most of my other shots seem pretty accurate lately.

Also, been playing more with TGC lately and have noticed that putting is strange on it. How do you know how far you really are from the flag when putting? The numbers don’t seem right a lot of the time.

Comment

Baller is your lwedge set for chp mode? Check on the unit to see if it's set to change to chp mode. I personally leave it as such but use swedge when I'm hitting full s or l wedges. I leave it ad l wedge chp for short chips.

Putting on TGC is pretty good. The distances are shown when putter selected. You can adjust the stimp and green speeds if the roll is too slow or fast.

Comment

Bubba:
              Thanks for the thumbs up on the videos. I was going to do more, but lack of interest has changed my mind. I find that hooks and fades seem reasonable for the most part. Once in a while I get some that have way to much side spin, but not often. I have thought about doing a critical analysis of that issue with high speed cameras, but that seems bit over the top.

Baller:
              I also think it is better. That tendency for the unit to read a bit right, which I also had in FW 151, may be my sensor and not systems in general. I find high launching shots harder for the sensor to read accurately. When I hit a fat shot, I find I get readings similar to what you describe above.

The use of boost is great. I now have my wedges set at -2 , 3 for my irons, 0 for metals and 5 for my driver in TGC. I have an inside swing issue with my driver ( I still don't get why that is) and this makes the numbers come out very close to my real distances. Lately I am playing less, but enjoying it more.

Comment

Well we certainly all appreciate your videos and input Stone. I am certain that many viewers have watched and value your efforts. I would encourage more if you have the time. The unit is certainly improving. They are working on a new ball marking code that will even add more accuracy.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                  BGCurtis2nd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was told they were working on a new ball marking code back in 2016 and would be sending them out soon, and since was told all kinds of reasons as to why it didn't happen. Seems to me if the unit needed a specially marked balls to preform, that should have been addressed before the unit was sold as being fully functional.

• Bubba22
                  Bubba22 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree BG. They are almost done the code. Its gonna be similair to the About golf 3 Trak in that the ball marking really help with ball measurements but it can still work great with a regular ball marking.It will help with the regular balls as well.

• RangeRunner
                  RangeRunner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last I talked to Mr. Moore (as of last month), he said they were abandoning the specially marked ball that they promised middle of last year due to cost overruns and imperfect printings.

Originally posted by Bubba22 View Post
                Well we certainly all appreciate your videos and input Stone. I am certain that many viewers have watched and value your efforts. I would encourage more if you have the time. The unit is certainly improving. They are working on a new ball marking code that will even add more accuracy.
                I agree with Bubba, your efforts are definitely appreciated. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with the ES16 yet, so I have been withholding any commentary until I can form an opinion on the results I'm seeing.

Comment

Bubba, any more info on the ES20? I thought they said January? Just curious

Comment

• Bubba22
                    Bubba22 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Continued development from what I hear. I don't think it will be ready for the show.

BG:
                  I am not sure I am even in favor of an improved ball marking code in that I think that is a step back. Best case for me would be the ability to throw any normal ball down in any configuration and it produces reasonable results.

I had my brother in law down last weekend. He is not a bad golfer. He normally shoots between 85 and 95. The different results we got on the ES 16 was an eye opener. He tends to hit more fat shots than he should. I would say 1 in perhaps 4 to 5 shots.

During a round, I would perhaps get one shot that could be called a misread. He on the other hand got a misread on almost every other hole. The unit would either not read or show the shot way right of actual. He took many more swings than he normally would.

We still had a good time, but he commented that my simulator did not like him.

For me, I am over all satisfied with the results I am getting with the ES 16. My brother in law was actually not unhappy with the unit, but said he would not buy it until the misread and no read issues were improved.

Anyway, interesting food for thought

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                    BGCurtis2nd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't think the ball marking code is the way to go either, but my point is that I was told well over a year ago that it would be available very soon.
                    Now I haven't had a ES-16 since I sent mine back in so have no way of knowing what the new FW updates do or do not do. But my wife and youngest grandson were only getting 1 read out of 5 to 8 swings with it on TGC, so needless to say they got to where they didn't want to play on it at all. Best we ever did as a family was 9 holes with four players and that took over five hours, we can play 18 holes on the real course in almost half that time. The wife said she took enough swings to play 36 holes or better.
                    I got the ES-16 so the family and I could improve our game and have some fun, seems to me the way the unit works they should have put a handicap rating on it. Seems the better golfers get better readings, I turn sixty seven next month and have only been playing golf for 3 years, so maybe I am just not good enough a player to have the unit read properly, but that is not what I was told when I first got the unit. Even with the problem reads I had fun with the family, problem was they all got to where they wouldn't play on it anymore due to all the missed reads they got which left me by myself which in it's self took a lot of fun out of what it was suppose to be. I still go out to the shop now and then, put up a picture of a hole off a course and just hit balls at it, I may not be getting any data other than where the ball impacts the screen, but at lest I am not upset with getting bad data or missed reads, so for me for now, a picture on a impact screen is working just as well or better for me than the ES-16 did.

• Bubba22
                    Bubba22 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The ball code will still read things exactly as is, ie. no need of specials pattern. The reason they are doing it is to make it such that one doesn't have to specifically place the ball down just like About golf does. It won't change how you currently play Stone. They said that new code will have improved horizontal measurement so we'll see.
                    Last edited by Bubba22; 01-14-2018, 03:53 AM.

• Stonebattle
                    Stonebattle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear you BG, I can see why you and yours have an issue with it, but it works reasonably well for me and the new updates are a big improvement. The numbers you see in the first video I put out are what I get on a normal basis. Don't get me wrong I get misreads and no reads sometimes, but for a unit that comes in at the cost they have it at, nothing else on the market touches it.
                    Last edited by Stonebattle; 01-14-2018, 04:19 PM.

Bubba:
                  I was a bit surprised when About Golf started marking golf balls. I think that was almost 10 years ago. With GC2 and others out there, it still seems like a step back to me. It also seems that markings will ware off, maybe on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonebattle View Post
                    Bubba:
                    I was a bit surprised when About Golf started marking golf balls. I think that was almost 10 years ago. With GC2 and others out there, it still seems like a step back to me. It also seems that markings will ware off, maybe on the screen.
                    I don't disagree. The new code will still work as now and will hopefully add more accuracy. I think the concept of the marked balls is to allow for a drop and go without aligning the logo as we currently do. Not sure the camera pics are good enough for dimple measurement so logo will be needed. Interested to see if this new code improves measurement much more.

Comment

Bubba:
                      I hope you are wrong about the pics not being good enough for dimple measurements, but I would say you are likely right. I am not looking forward to either choice is that is the case.

Comment

I shouldn't say the pics aren't good enough for dimple measurements, but no doubt that reading the logo makes it more accurate.

Comment

Well here is what the ES-16 captures on a ball pictures, there is no way that they are good enough for dimple measurements and I don't know that the logo will help all that much. I was told you could read the logo on the pictures, but I wouldn't say you can read them, more like identify maybe if you know what ball it is to start with.

Comment

Working...
                          X