ES-16 Information Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES-16 Information Update

Just finished talking with Joe Ernest and he tell me they have had some good luck in identifying the problems and causes with the ES-16 and are addressing some fixes for it, it looks as though we should see something in the next few weeks for a software update and a mechanical fix as soon as it is dialed in for the ES-16.

Thanks BGC. Keep us posted.

Comment

Glad to hear that the head honcho himself is finally being responsive to you. Tough for any of us to be optimistic at this point with that product. As we've heard "we've finally gotten it figured out" more than a few times over the past 18 months.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
        BGCurtis2nd commented
        Editing a comment
        I know the way you feel, and believe me I am watching close to see what happens, and you should know by now I say what I think. That being said I was given enough information on what is going on that I do look forward to seeing some real improvement this time on the ES-16, only time will tell but I do feel it is the real deal.

Did they discuss why the output changes based on what club is selected in the software? That is a huge red flag for a device that is supposed to measure all the ball parameters.

Comment

• Baller
        Baller commented
        Editing a comment
        They have different algorithms for each club, that is the reason. I think originally they planned on having one and it didn’t work. Hopefully they are able to make one single one work and get accurate data like the ones they are “supposed” to be as good as or better...

Originally posted by wbond View Post
      Did they discuss why the output changes based on what club is selected in the software? That is a huge red flag for a device that is supposed to measure all the ball parameters.
      We didn't go into that directly, but we did cover why the ES-16 is not getting the readings it needs to be getting and the faults behind it. We talked about the fixes and implementation of them, what it will take and how they are going about doing it, and there are some very good reasons for not getting into details on the hows and whys of it on the forum, so I will not be doing that. I will be like everyone else and have to wait and see how it works out for the ES-16 but I do believe that the plan is to make it the best it can be, but just how close to 100% can be achieved is yet to be seen. I am wanting to see them get it right this time and would much rather be out in my shop hitting some balls and playing a few rounds on TGC than being in the house on the computer. For now all I can do is wait for the next update and will give out what information I can about the work on the ES-16 as I get it.

Comment

I turned on the ES16 for the first time since coming back from San Diego today just to get it updated to the latest firmware and see if there were any improvements over last time. I have to say that I was able to finish the most number of holes in TGC than I ever have before. Most of the time the delay from shot hit to output on the screen was so painfully long that I couldn't bear it. I thought it was going to be the same this time as the first two shots both took over 30 seconds to output on the screen. Then I had a couple of holes where tee/approach shots read and displayed as you would think they should. Soft pitches are still very troublesome. Took six pitch shots on one and three on another to finally get them to read. Putting was MUCH improved over last time. The only no read I had was a 10fter. So I'm thinking anything 10ft and in is still troublesome.

Only real shot that I had issues with was a two iron that I hit so fat on a divot action style mat that I about ripped up the turf and the shot still read as "normal" distance. In reality that would have been roughly 40-50 yards short of normal.

VERY excited to keep hearing the positive feedback you are coming away with on a solution to the ES16.

Comment

• MainStGolf
          MainStGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          I will try moving it closer to the computer, but I've always had issues with delay. May be a bluetooth thing as the computer was not made with bluetooth built in, so I had to use a USB bluetooth connector. But I don't get the delay on the ES16 range. No delay issues. And TGC takes FOREVER to load, which never happened with SkyTrak/TGC which I played before using the ES16. If short shots and shorter putts don't register that is a huge problem for sim play.

• Baller
          Baller commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that’s strange. It should, be across the board. TGC will always take longer Han the ES16 range, but only a few seconds longer. The reason is that it has to go to the ES16-TGC Interface and then sent to TGC.

If I were you, I would remove all TGC components, remove all other software you don’t use, restart and then reinstall TGC and the interface. Something may be off with your installation. ***BUT***, I would do it when you are prepared to be without it for a day or so because you’ll need a new license key more than likely.

• MainStGolf
          MainStGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Already went through all that once, so that didn't fix the issue.

Any update BGCurtis2nd?

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
          BGCurtis2nd commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't heard anything since my last post, I was expecting to hear something last week but all has been quite. Haven't heard or seen anything on the ES-16 or ES 20/20 either one, nor have I had any calls to polish up the brass for any parades. Was really wanting to see something happen but not looking to good right now.

I was hoping for something by now. From my standpoint they have gone dark as well.
        Last edited by Stonebattle; 04-10-2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I was covering no less!

Comment

Meant to say I was expecting no less.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Joe Ernest, he told me he wasn't able to use the software fix as planned as it does not function properly due to the way the ES-16 activates using sound. But he assures me he will do right by those who have the ES-16 and is headed to a meeting to see what can be done to fix the problems. He will be calling me again next Thursday with an update as to what is going on and hopefully will have some information I can pass along as to what will be done.

Comment

To bad the software fix does not work. That would have been the fastest and lowest cost option, although it does not surprise me it did not work.
                It seems to me that activation with sound is the least of their problems. Did Joe say what that was a main issue?

I think I have mine working similar to what it did in the past since upgrading with FW 158, although I had to recalibrate about a dozen times to get those results. Not sure what the deal is there.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                  BGCurtis2nd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Stonebattle It seems that the activation with sound is the main problem with the software fix, the one conversion found so far to use for activation instead of sound is covered by a patent from another company from what I recall. If you hit fat the ES-16 triggers early and you do not get as good reading on the ball as with a good quality hit. Joe is looking at several other options to fix the problem and will be calling me next Thursday with an update as to what is going on. Not sure what is going on with the calibration for your unit but if I recall correctly on that you should no longer need to calibrate after each update once the ES-16 is fixed. From what I am being told there is a lot of work going into fixing the ES-16, and as I said earlier trying to get into a discussion on what all is being tried or looked at is kind of a mute point until something has shown to be what needs to be done and put into action as a fix.

Thanks for the update!

Comment

Talked with Joe today, and things are moving forward on the ES-16 situation. For right now I do not want to say just what is being done until things are finalized, but I do want to say that I do believe the ES-16 owners will be happy with what is being done and will be very pleased with the final outcome from what I am being told.

Comment

Have you been given any kind of general time frame?

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                      BGCurtis2nd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A time line is one of the things we are trying to get nailed down, I was really hoping to have something on that today but have yet to get anything concrete to go on for a time line. I know Joe wants it to be done as soon as possible and is pushing to get it done as fast as he can.

• MainStGolf
                      MainStGolf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! Soon would be nice, but I just want them to make the unit do what the unit is supposed to do.
                  Working...
                  X