ES 16 Tour Plus VS Mevo+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES 16 Tour Plus VS Mevo+

The new and improved ES 16 Tour Plus was announced at the show for $2750 including Sim software (could be wrong).

Isn't it a direct competitor to Mevo+???

Is this the one they call B1?

Comment

• golfun2
      golfun2 commented
      Editing a comment
      No it’s new.

• Brutaly
      Brutaly commented
      Editing a comment
      On their site B1 seems new, only available for preorder, and it seems to be able to handle clubdata

• Brutaly
      Brutaly commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok found a clip.
      Might be a competitor even though not reading fat shots and limited when used outdoors is a no go for me personally. The fat shot thingy disqualifies it for simulation and outdoors restrictions for summertime practice/fitting

It's kind of hard to take Ernest Sports seriously after the old and un-improved ES16...

Comment

• Brutaly
      Brutaly commented
      Editing a comment
      In their defence they at least admit to their mistakes in the clip I posted above.

May be a new setup but still has the same fault the old one had, I wear a 2" buildup and brace and in my golf swing the brace will sometimes make a popping noise which sounds like a club hitting a ball and the ES-16 would pick that up. First time it happened to me I was picking out a club standing six foot from the unit and it recorded a shot. I reported that but was told that it was not the problem, they finally admitted it was a problem due to the mic pickup but told me to wait that they had a fix. From what they are saying in the new video you pretty much have to hit the ball perfect every time to get a good reading and it still is not an outside unit. Way better things on the market IMO, I still get a headache remembering all I went through trying to get my ES-16 to work. I would recommend you spend the extra and get a Uneekor QED IGNITE, works great very few missed shots great readings and the best service of any company out there I have ever dealt with.

Comment

I've had several different launch golf simulators. That is a P3proswing, Skytrak, ES16 and now a Protee. When I had the ES 16 I thought it worked fairly well for me personally. The main issue I had with it was not reading or inaccurate reading even slightly fat shots and horizontal launch angle accuracy. Still, it worked fairly well for me as a low single digit handicap and reasonable ball striker. Distances and swing data were accurate for the most part. My guess is they did most of the testing with good ball strikers and missed the fat strike issues. When I had buddies over, that are higher handicap golfers, it was really bad. They often had to hit shots several times to get one to read. We could hardly finish a round, not fun.

Every one of the simulators I've had had issues. I had a Skytrak early on and it had a lot of misread and no read issues, although now it seems folks are finding it works far better. Even with the Protee I don't play on the tour due to misreads. I typically have 3 to 4 a round and it just makes it frustrating because they cost so many strokes. Having said that, I have friends over and we have a great time with the Protee setup and TGC 2019. It's reasonably accurate and when we have a misread we just rewind it, so Protee is not perfect, but it works well enough.

The Ernest Sports video noted above seemed honest to me and It looks like Ernest Sport has addressed the issues involving fat shots and horizontal launch angle. Is it enough, we don't know yet? I would like to see them succeed. It would be better for all of us if they do.

Comment

No one finds it odd that they didn't even talk about the ES 2020? Just sitting there in the background.

Short of them putting it up against a proven LM, hitting all types of shots not a single person should consider purchasing anything from them.

Comment

Stone you are exactly right. The ES16 short comings were related to the microphone trigger mechanism and horizontal launch angle measurements. Let's face it any side mounted unit will measure ball speed, launch angle and spin accurately but have more difficulty with horizontal azumuth. Likewise, a ceiling mounted unit will have more challanges with vertical launch angle. For sure, horizontal azumuth inaccuracies will be more noticable and appreciated than any vertical launch inaccuracies. ES16 Tour looks like they have hardware and software improvements that will hopefully allow for improved horizontal azumuth and better reads on fat shots.
          Last edited by Bubba22; 01-26-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• golfun2
            golfun2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you view this as a legitimate contender to the Mevo+???

• Bubba22
            Bubba22 commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't put it as a contender in that sense. First of all we need to verify the Meavo+, but by all accounts it appears to be legit. I haven't tested the new ES 16 Tour nor the Meavo+, so really can't speculate. All we can say at this point is that they are in the same price range. Time will tell.

Just search for negative reviews of each one to make your comparison. And I say that for ALL launch monitors. DO NOT go with one unless you can handle feeling like one of the posters that owns either one and complains. Don't go with anything brand new unless the company has a proven track record.

Don't ask how or why I feel that way...

Cheers.

Comment

• Brettster
            Brettster commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting... I was impressed with an interview from Henri on the Mevo+ (at the PGA Show 2020), and the unit looks impressive as well, but when you look up both Apps on Apple the Mevo App (for the Mevo unit) gets great readings, and he Mevo+ App shows awful reviews. I don't know if that's because it was a Beta unit at the time, and that's why I would look for current reviews coming from a few testers.... If it works and is as accurate as Henri makes it out to be, seems it would do everything I want, and be portable enough to take to the course as well - something I understand that SkyTrak has a heck of a problem with, and the Mevo+ unit can record video at the same time (via your phone) - can't beat that for analysis.

• Baller
            Baller commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, my comments were not intended for the iOS apps made for units, but just for the units themselves. Most people hate the iOS Foresight Sports apps, but show me someone who hates their GCQuad.

Shwagg33:
          Ernest Sports sent me an ES 20/20, I found it to be very accurate. Due to some personal issues, I could not keep it and if it were not for the unbelievable honestly and integrity of BGCurtis, I would not have anything to hit on. By the way, I am not going to discuss those issues.

Bubba:
          Your observations on the side and ceiling mount units are very interesting. I had not thought of it that way, but it make a lot of sense. I wish I could have helped Ernest Sport more then I did, but it was not in the cards at that time. That product could have been and still could be a great one.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
            BGCurtis2nd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the kind words.

• Bubba22
            Bubba22 commented
            Editing a comment
            It makes sense and that’s something that needs to be understood. Overhead units have a bit of advantage because inaccuracies in vertical launch angle by say 4 degrees will not be as appreciated as a ball struck 2 degrees to the left but read as 2 degrees to the right.

The ES16 Tour Plus will be $2700. It is in another class though (if it works right!). It reads full club data as well. I believe 16 Parameters.
          The Golf Club 2019 will be $1200. When hitting outside the ball will only be read for Club head Speed, Ball Speed, Launch Angle, Spin Rate and Smash Factor.
          If using indoors it seems like a much better machine for $2700 that includes full club data. Only thing is outside the Mevo+ has it beat!
          So if primarily using indoors for $700 more it looks good. But if planning to use outside a lot too then Mevo+ is king.

Comment

I can't believe people would even consider buying something from these guys. Just do some reading through this section, that should be enough to make you never spend your money on anything they make for home simulation.

buy yourself a used GC2 for a little more $$$

although who wouldn't love a machine that can't read fat shots lol

Comment

So has anyone heard any updates on the performance of the new ES16 Tour Plus lately? Did anyone get a clear answer on what updates, firmware or hardware address past issues? I bought an ES16 for our fire station, so I sent it in recently in hopes Ernest Sports would evaluate update needs and hopefully upgrade for free as mentioned in the forum. They updated to the latest firmware but my hardware is one of the first generations. They told me it would be $500 to update the light board and cameras which it sounds like use to get done for free? Question is if I send the extra $500 do you think it will fix the shortcomings of this unit or should I leave the unit as is? Thanks

Comment

Well I updated the unit for $500. It included a new lightboard, light, camera lens and firmware updates. First of all the horizontal measurements are now very good. That was the main shortcoming for the unit. The tech in the ES16 is quite impressive as it uses both doppler and camera for measurements. The difficulty they have has been related to camera timing to determine the speed of ball as well as the microphone trigger to activate the camera. I do think they are on the right track with the new changes. Putting is actually great on the unit whereas chipping has some no reads. Hopefully a new software update is in order. I will test more and keep you updated. At this point its definitely worth the upgrade.

Comment

• jvh42
                  jvh42 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Bubba, any new testing or info on this one?

I recently bought an es tour plus and frankly, I’ve been really disappointed with the unit. I was much happier with my trusty old SkyTrak. It was far from Perfect but I could trust the ball flight results for the most part.
                The biggest flaws as I see them:
                1. Can’t take a practice swing without triggering a flight. Not one where your club makes an impact with the ground anyway. No quicker way to screw up your game than to swing differently in a practice swing than the real thing.
                2. Launch angles read lower than than they actually are. Effectively giving you a ball flight with a wedge that is substantially longer than it actually is. And long irons, driver show such a low launch, that distances are much shorter than they should be. And that is despite ball speeds that are slightly juiced.
                -how do I know this?
                1. Tested against gc2
                2. Marked my net at 10,15,20,25,30 degrees so I can tell when it tells me I launched a 4 iron at 6 degrees that it is really more like 14
                3. Ball speeds juiced. Not a ton, but def juiced. On average 2 or 3 mph juiced
                4. Spin rate often inaccurate. I’ll hit a wedge, probably 10,500 and it will read 2500. This doesn’t happen all the time but often enough to piss you off
                5. I really don’t think the Doppler does anything at all. I covered mine with cardboard and got the same readings as before.
                6. The simulation graphics are horrendous, which would be fine if the unit worked well with e6 connect, but it doesn’t. The ball is ay more juiced in e6. 20+ yards on every shot. What a waste of $300 for that subscription.
                You live and you learn. Never trust a company without verifying their claims.

Comment

• Jon
                  Jon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Update on ES tour plus functionality
                  - driver through 9 iron rely on doppler for ball flight readings
                  -pw, gw, sw, lw rely on camera for ball data

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                I recently bought an es tour plus and frankly, I’ve been really disappointed with the unit. I was much happier with my trusty old SkyTrak. It was far from Perfect but I could trust the ball flight results for the most part.
                The biggest flaws as I see them:
                1. Can’t take a practice swing without triggering a flight. Not one where your club makes an impact with the ground anyway. No quicker way to screw up your game than to swing differently in a practice swing than the real thing.
                2. Launch angles read lower than than they actually are. Effectively giving you a ball flight with a wedge that is substantially longer than it actually is. And long irons, driver show such a low launch, that distances are much shorter than they should be. And that is despite ball speeds that are slightly juiced.
                -how do I know this?
                1. Tested against gc2
                2. Marked my net at 10,15,20,25,30 degrees so I can tell when it tells me I launched a 4 iron at 6 degrees that it is really more like 14
                3. Ball speeds juiced. Not a ton, but def juiced. On average 2 or 3 mph juiced
                4. Spin rate often inaccurate. I’ll hit a wedge, probably 10,500 and it will read 2500. This doesn’t happen all the time but often enough to piss you off
                5. I really don’t think the Doppler does anything at all. I covered mine with cardboard and got the same readings as before.
                6. The simulation graphics are horrendous, which would be fine if the unit worked well with e6 connect, but it doesn’t. The ball is ay more juiced in e6. 20+ yards on every shot. What a waste of $300 for that subscription.
                You live and you learn. Never trust a company without verifying their claims.
                Are you using the same type of unit that received a rave review from someone else earlier today in another thread? If this is the same unit then I would say people still need to be careful and understand the good and the bad of what they are buying.

Comment

Working...
                X