This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Sports ES16 - New Camera Based LM

• @inorkuo, What problems did you encounter with your previous ES16?

Comment

• inorkuo
      inorkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      i have 11.5 ft from ball to screen so to figure out 5 degrees at 11.5 ft, do the following:

tan(5) = x / 11.5
      0.0875 = x / 11.5
      1.006 = x

so in my setup, 1 ft from center equals 5 degrees.

• Joko
      Joko commented
      Editing a comment
      Excuse my math ignorance (been awhile) - What would 8 ft be if put in that equation?

Nevermind, I got it (I think): 0.7ft
      Last edited by Joko; 11-29-2016, 10:17 PM.

• inorkuo
      inorkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      8 3/8 inches

if you are going to do what i did and use painters tape on your screen do small pieces. if you do long vertical strips, they'll keep falling off every time a ball hits the screen close to the tape. let us know how it goes with your es16. bubba and mthunt both had good things to say. i'm reserving judgement until i get a few more hours on it.

• 8 3/8 inches

if you are going to do what i did and use painters tape on your screen do small pieces. if you do long vertical strips, they'll keep falling off every time a ball hits the screen close to the tape. let us know how it goes with your es16. bubba and mthunt both had good things to say. i'm reserving judgement until i get a few more hours on it.
    This is very interesting information. Since I'm so close to the screen it does make sense though. I'm going to push back my mat for a bit and do some testing further away.

Comment

• So, are you trying to verify the ball flight by doing this compared to what the ES16 says?

Joko, please let me know what you find from moving back. I was only 8 feet. I did move back to compare at one point, but didn't notice any difference.

As as an update for me, I'm told that they made changes to the hardware of the ES16 immediately after shipping my unit and that's why I've had some issues, including my putting not working. I think bubba and mthunt got the new version as I think they were shipped after I was.

I have had some mis-reads with launch direction for sure. I sent them videos where the ball started right on an in-out swing, and the unit says I went out-in and the ball started left. But I am still hopeful. I'm hoping the new unit they are sending reads it more accurately.

One thing I noticed is that in some shots, I had a severe delay in reading, and in discussions once they said if that happens it may be that the cameras aren't reading the ball and it's only info from the Doppler.

We we will see ow the new unit goes once it comes.

Comment

• Let us know when you get the new unit. I do think the club and ball data is dependent on the box placement. If its off a bit from square the results are off.

Comment

• Baller
          Baller commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I do agree and it is difficult to make it perfectly straight and stay there. My ways are not perfect and I haven't made it easier because I was in the process of getting a new mat... BUT, my order for my Truestrike with 20% off from Golfsmith just sat there and sat because of the Dick's buyout. I eventually had to cancel it and waiting for them to give me my credit back.

I'm back to undecided on a mat and just using low quality on I have for now, so don't want to make anything to hold the unit better yet. I'll eventually build something that holds it in place where I want it to be sure it's straight, but for now I check it often.

• I hit some more balls last night. I had decent results, although battling a cold and also working through some swing adjustments. The one thing I noticed was that if the ball wasn't hit cleanly it wouldn't read, and occasionally severely misread to the left. Specifically if I hit it fat it wouldn't read.

I'm going to leave work early and go home and do some testing this afternoon. I did email the guys at ernest about these questions and got an email back very quickly, so that is nice to see.

Also, one thing I seem to be missing as far as the numbers that it spits out is how far the ball landed from the center point. In SkyTrak it would tell you how many yards you missed the center from, which is nice. Maybe I'm just not understanding how that value is displayed in the ES16 app.

Comment

• Bubba22
          Bubba22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Apparently a new update will adress the non reads. I see them as well.

• Quick update. I'm a bit worried my unit might be bad or needs recalibrated. I had 35% no reads, even on well struck shots. That right there is enough to discourage me.

I went back and forth between it and my skytrak using only an 8 iron since I can usually hit that fairly straight with decent consistency. On the es16 I couldn't really get anything to go straight, I had maybe 30% read the way it felt the shot was hit and also comparing it to my center target on the impact screen. When flipping back to skytrak I had much more centered shots, with mostly small draws and fades. Of course I had some bad shots on the skytrak as well but they felt bad when I hit them and compared to where they hit on the impact screen.

I still have hope it can be corrected. But so far not too happy.

Comment

• Baller
          Baller commented
          Editing a comment
          Make sure you are putting the ball in the right area as that sounds abnormal. Did your unit come with the calibration sheet? If so, it shows the range of area in green, but I found that the ideal area is level with the back leg and 12" closer to you. If you don't have that sheet, maybe I can scan it or make you one and post it here.

I found that over time I would change where I was putting the ball. I'll post a pic of my solution in a bit when I'm home.

• Here is a pic of the calibration sheet along with an alignment stick on each end and a tape measure so you can see how far. I've been putting a piece of tape to the right to show the extremes of the area.

Comment

• Baller, I do have the calibration sheet that came in the tube. I never had any problem getting the green light, would this still apply? I know sometimes with the skytrak it helps to put the ball behind the laser and closer to the unit.

Comment

• Baller
            Baller commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, it does matter. I have found in some spots on the extremities I can get a green light, but it doesn't read the shot. You should try taking a video also. I've done this a couple times and watched that as I took the club back, the light would turn red. I had one day that was particularly bad and I emailed the guys and they told me this happens when the ball is in the wrong place or if the battery is low and not plugged in.

I have found the most consistency is when the ball is in line with the back frame and the far side of the ball is 12" or slightly less.

Also, the red/green could be trouble reading the ball, they said. So maybe try a different ball to be sure.

• Joko
            Joko commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool. I'll pull out the calibration sheet this weekend. Looks like it might be good for alignment also. I did see on a few occasions that I would place a ball - it would go green - and then red before I hit.

If I can get this figured out is one piece of the puzzle. I hit a ball earlier and it definitely went left of center but instead showed it went right with a fairly hard slice, and that was with an 8i.

If I can get more shots to register it should help to clear up any side alignment problems.

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            The machine would greatly benefit from a laser pointer.

• The ES needs you to be extremely precise where you put the ball thus the laser pointer comment.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          London Hunt Club L mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

• Hey mthunt would you say the es16 is better than the gc2 or even has the potential to be in the near future?

Comment

• Originally posted by inorkuo View Post
              Hey mthunt would you say the es16 is better than the gc2 or even has the potential to be in the near future?
              No. No chance but it's not the same money either.
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

• Isnt it starting to creep close though? Is it within 1k now of the gc2 price?
                Originally posted by mthunt View Post

No. No chance but it's not the same money either.

Comment

• A GC2 is 7k and an HMT is another 7. ES is 5 I think.
                  My Courses:
                  World Par 3's by mthunt
                  Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt
                  The National GC L mthunt
                  Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                  Markland Woods CC mthunt
                  Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                  Magna GC L mthunt
                  Barrie CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range

Comment

• Joko
                    Joko commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm currently more concerned with es16 value vs skytrak.

• I disagree. While the GC2 might be amazingly dependable at giving you ball data, I think the ES16 has the potential to be better. It has more capability than the GC2 having both cameras as well as Doppler, but the software clearly has a ways to go.

Perhaps it will never be better than a GC2 WITH an HMT, but who knows. Time will tell. I'm hoping it will get at least close.

Comment

• Something I just found interesting, I went to the website of my local course and saw that their indoor driving range lessons are now utilizing the ES16:

"The ES16 Tour Golf Simulator provides the most precise club and ball data available, with ability to “play” different courses on a TV screen. Along with the new device, we will still be using the Flightscope Launch Monitor and V1 Golf Video Analysis"

Comment

Working...
                    X