Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ES16 Suggestions (Padded Carry/Tote Bag, Anti-Theft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES16 Suggestions (Padded Carry/Tote Bag, Anti-Theft)

Bubba22's thread with regard to pricing on a protective case, etc. got me thinking off on a tangent pretty quickly. I didn't want to derail his thread, so I made my own here.

As crazy as it seems to be making a thread with suggestions for improving a device that has yet to be released, there are two things that I can think of right now that should be on the radar.

Padded Carry/Tote Bag

In addition to a protective stand/shield, Ernest Sports should also consider selling a small padded tote bag designed to hold the unit, shield and perhaps a tablet for easy transport back and forth to the range. A lot of us are going to be using the unit at home for simulation purposes, but also taking it to outdoor ranges from time to time.

Right now, the average recreational golfer knows very little about launch monitors. As they proliferate, this is going to change. And one of the big shocks for Joe Sixpack who hangs at the driving range/batting cage combo or the local muni is going to be the price (as you can see from the other thread, even serious players are starting to balk a bit at $4K).

So, it goes without saying that theft of launch monitors is going to be a BIG issue.

Leave the device for a minute to run to the bathroom while hitting balls and there is a good chance it will disappear. Snatching a whole set of clubs is one thing (and believe me, it happens). Video surveillance coverage at driving ranges and even high end courses is notoriously poor. Something far smaller/easier to grab and 3-4x more valuable? These things are going to be targeted a LOT.

Having a small bag with a strap that would allow you to bring it with you for snack and bathroom breaks would be ideal.

When I had my Skytrak, I went out and bought a small Turkish bath towel to pad it and protect the lens covers from scratching. After wrapping it, I stuffed in a small backpack. A specifically designed pack with padding and anti-scratch interior would have been a lot nicer.

On a related note, if you hit balls using before a round, and take the device to your car after your range time, you are asking for it to get stolen. You can bet that there will be degenerates watching to see what you do with it after you finish hitting. It has to come with you. In the back of the cart at the very least, better yet, buried in your golf bag.

As I mentioned briefly in his thread, the tote bag needs to be nondescript. No logo, no company name. Nobody understands the importance of branding more than I do. Still, this is one place where respect for the customer has to come first.

If you have a logo on the carry bag, you might as well make the carry bag a handcuff briefcase. Because if you leave it unattended, it's going to walk.

Anti-Theft Features

Speaking of theft...

As much as I detest subscription based models and other situations where a consumer pays a substantial amount for an item but doesn't really seem to own much, there is one situation where I have no problem with the company retaining control...

While is may be very late in the design process to implement this for the ES16, it would be nice to see a way for Ernest Sports to blacklist serial numbers of stolen units. Obviously, we don't want to see a situation where you need internet access at all times.

But if there were a way to perhaps do this and check the serial number of the unit for a blacklist every time a new device (PC, phone or tablet) is added, it would go a long way toward preventing theft. Making it impossible for people to sell *HOT* LMs would be a huge start.

The mobile phone industry in the US has been WAY behind the times on this for years. The manufacturers sell replacement phones when units are stolen, so they have been in no rush to fix the problems.
    Last edited by Ookie; 01-10-2016, 09:25 AM.

I'd change Country Clubs. JK.....

Comment

• Gamble Gamble
      Gamble Gamble commented
      Editing a comment
      + 1000

well played

Haha I definitely hear him though, only has to happen once in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think those are some great ideas and hopefully someone at ES is watching

Comment

I spent time as a street cop and police detective before retiring young to start my own business. My comments are driven by that experience.

Mark my words, as these units get more popular, they are going to start growing legs, especially at a lot of public facilities.

Comment

• Mazenblue
        Mazenblue commented
        Editing a comment
        I decided to remove the comment
        Last edited by Mazenblue; 01-16-2016, 01:28 AM. Reason: Just wanted to remove the comment

>>So, it goes without saying that theft of launch monitors is going to be a BIG issue.

Well I'll say it...this is not going to be a big issue

Golf clubs are way more popular than launch monitors...I dont see a huge problem of theft of clubs from local driving ranges.

Certainly any number of bags can be used to store this thing, no need for a custom built one.

And the effort to blacklist a device is not going to provide any value. The thief isnt going to return it if it doesn't work....so the rightful owner is still out of luck.

Just be smart with your valuables. Dont leave them unattended. Problems solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Shardak View Post
        >>So, it goes without saying that theft of launch monitors is going to be a BIG issue.

Well I'll say it...this is not going to be a big issue

Golf clubs are way more popular than launch monitors...I dont see a huge problem of theft of clubs from local driving ranges.
        Next time take a few minutes to do a Google search before you provide further uninformed speculation.

As per a USA Today article from 2005, golf club thefts exceeded 200 million dollars that year. Moreover, nearly all of the thefts described in the article occurred from golfing facilities.

The problem is so serious that according to the insurance industry expert quoted in the article, 10% of the total dollar value spent annual on new clubs goes toward replacing stolen ones.

While participation in the game has declined, clubs have gotten a bunch more expensive. I'd be willing to bet that today's number is at least that high.

If large, unweildy items like golf bags are getting heisted at that rate, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's going to be even worse with something much easier to conceal and get away with.

Certainly any number of bags can be used to store this thing, no need for a custom built one.
        Put an optically based unit in a bag without a soft interior lining and let me know how that works out for you. Leave keys or something else in the bag by mistake? Get ready to send it in for service.

Perhaps you should read the Skytrak forum and see the posts from people who report numerous scratches on the plastic over the lenses despite substantial effort to protect their investment. We don't know at what point the scratches become severe enough to degrade accuracy. But I choose to keep mine without any scratches.

At the very least, a soft felt bag with a drawstring (think Crown Royal whiskey bottle) is necessary.

And the effort to blacklist a device is not going to provide any value. The thief isn't going to return it if it doesn't work....so the rightful owner is still out of luck.
        Correct. But if it becomes known that a particular item cannot be made to function after being stolen, a thief is much less likely to take the risk to boost it.

In some jurisdictions, smartphone theft amounts to nearly 40% of all property crime. And there are plenty of industry experts who feel that a kill switch could put a huge dent is what is going on. Way harder to part stuff out and sell it that way.

Comment

Working...
        X