Es16 and TGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Es16 and TGC

Quick review on the ES16 and TGC? Club and ball data available on ES16 http://ernestsports.com/es16-tour.html
    TGC works great with ES16

Quick summary of ES16 hardware for newbies:
    The unit has 4 dopplers and multiple cameras triggered by microphone and utilizing flash and Infrared to allow for high speed imaging. Yep, they are directly measuring a bunch of stuff. The Doppler will measure ball and club speed and aid in angle of attack and horizontal azimuth. The cameras will measure launch angle, spin, spin axis and horizontal azimuth as we as angle of attack. Smash factor will be determined obviously from this data. It's the best of both worlds. In fact they claim the horizontal azimuth will be more accurate than the traditional side mounted launch monitors because the Doppler will aid in its accuracy. Distance from the screen needed is only 6-8 feet. Data is calculated instantly so small delay.

Club selection is not needed but suggested in the range software for club grouping and gapping and also to allow for better camera timing. Club selection has nothing to do with spin measurement.

Now with TGC integration:

It connects via Bluetooth through simple integration program. Connects instantly and flawless. Same bluetooth connection method with the ES16 range app. Once connected you need the appropriate liscence from TGC folks and off you go.

Once connected through integration program and TGC then data is sent from ES16 to TGC. The time from shot to show is 1-2 seconds. The unit recognizes a logo on the golf ball for spin recognition. Ball is placed logo facing the unit in line with the back edge about 10 inches from the unit. Mthunt suggested this in the othe thread and it works 100% of the time. It takes about 2 seconds for the unit to recognize the ball. Now the area is small but from what I can tell you have around 2 inches in any durection from that spot. This FOV will be expanded in future update. Like most units yo need to be parallel to the target line. They recommend 10 feet from the screen but I have tested at 8, 7 an even as low as 6 feet with great results.

I am getting about 95% shots recognized. Occasional a shot is not recognized but most shots are good. You need to select the club at this point. TGC has automatic club selection so no big deal. If 6 iron is suggested and you hit any iron the results are no different. Club selection really not an issue but it better helps camera timing. Game play with TGC is great and one plays from driver to putter. Short putts and chips work great. Really soft 2 foot putts may not register all the time but no biggie. Hooks, draws, fades and slices work well. Oh, as well, straight shots work too. Occasionally a registered shot looks off but overall it's very accurate.

Club and ball data are both shown on the TGC analysis screen. Club data from ES16 is great and accurate. I have tested it with the ProTee sensor pad and the results are close. Getting club data is awesome. The only thing not shown on the TGC analysis at this point is Angle of Attack (AOA) but ProTee will be adding this in a future update.

In summary this thing works great with TGC and the added accurate club data puts it at an advantage over units without club data. Is it more accurate than others? No but it's accuracy competes with the GC2.
    Things to discuss:
    1. Spin with logo - at the present time you need a logo to recognize spin which means bending down to place the ball. No biggie and I must say after playing a round I am already used to it. I suppose we get spoiled with the ProTee, ST or GC2. They will be coming out with a spin recognition from imperfections/dimples on the ball for those that don't want to bend down due to a bad back etc.

2. Ball hitting area - around 12 inches from unit with a 2 inch radius. Doesn't feel too close to unit. Its not bad but could be bigger. Recognition time is <2 seconds for unit to shw a green light and be ready for hitting.

3. Protective case - no case at this time but something will come

4. Club selection - club selection needed so camera timing can occur. Selecting driver and hitting iron will work but more non reads can occur. Selecting 7 iron and hitting 5,6,8,9 etc irons are a complete non issue. A future update will completely eliminate need club selection as they will use the Doppler club speed to adjust camera timing for the ball. Remember club selection has nothing to do with ball data other than adjusting camera timing. In simulation round , it was an absolute nonissue and I completely ignore its selection other than selecting putter on the fringe.

5. Shot to show - approximately 1-2 seconds.

ES16 has great potential. It Works great with TGC. Nex week I will be testiing with E6 so will write up a review.

Last edited by Bubba22; 11-13-2016, 02:17 AM.

Great review! Was very curious how this was coming along. Doesnt quite feel like its totally polished enough yet for my liking. But sounds very close and getting better and better every day. The kicker is still the ball recognition and having to place it for me. Its not a huge deal, but when it still doesnt read 100% of the time even while doing so the price is still a bit high for me to jump on it just yet. Plus I would be nervous when others use it without a protective case (the homemade one for the skytrak just does wonders for easing your mind). Im sure they will work this out and get it going well with the dimple recognition, protective case all and ill take another look then.

Thanks again for the review though! Great to hear that it sounds like its starting to become an actual contender after how awful it sounded when it first came out. Ill be watching haha

Comment

Hi Bubba, great review thanks. A couple of quick questions, how does it do on high soft lob wedges, say over 50 degree LA? And I'm assuming no center of contact reading as there is in Protee?

Comment

High flop shots over 50 do read but you get some no reads when yanking it way high. I will test a bunch of left and right flops for you today to see if the horizontal direction makes a difference. As of now no face contact( heel/toe or High/Low) info but they say that they may be able to get this info from the dopplers.

Comment

I can easily get flops in the 40s and 50. Anything above that it struggles to read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flop.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	84636

Name:	flop1.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	84637

Comment

• Cklguy2013
            Cklguy2013 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bubba, if you can get up to 55 degrees that's all you'd really need, not sure one needs the super flop shot for sim play, and I notice on the golf channel their system won't even read those extremely high launch wedges.

What about trying the chromesoft balls with Truvis? Wonder if that might alleviate the need to worry about the logo being positioned just right.

Comment

Welcome teamacacia! Great stuff. This is the ball team is referring to try. I will pick up a dozen today and try it out for you. Anyone try this ball with Skytrak? Will test both and let you know.

Name:	Chromesoft.png
Views:	880
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	84642

Comment

• Baller
              Baller commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a great idea! Let us know how it works out with these. It had some bad luck with some balls getting nicks from my wedges and then cutting up my screen, so I've been using Titleist DT Solo balls that have a harder coating and no isssue. Using logo overrun balls that have a logo all over and they work well, but there could be improvement if these work.

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              i got an email from Clay at ernest sports saying that the truvis balls are not a good fit for the es16. here is part of the email

"Occasionally the unit may show no spin axis, and that is generally because there was a problem detecting the logo on the ball. These problems are exacerbated with certain logos like Callaway or Nike. Our image processing locates the logo, finds the beginning and end of the logo, and then draws a straight line through it. Curved logos tend to confuse our image processing. We are trying to expand the logo shapes, but it is not in the firmware at this time. Generally bold logos are the best to use (i.e. Srixon, Top Flight, Ultra, Bridgestone, Taylor Made, Titleist, etc.). If the logo is not detecting well, you can always take a permanent marker and draw a line through the logo to help. Try not to draw a line longer than 1 in. In addition, the soccer ball looking balls are just not a good fit with our launch monitor, and I’m not sure if it will ever work with the ES16, and honestly, I think it is a pretty strange golf ball design in general."

Yes I use them all the time and they work great
            My Courses:

DGWCBETA1 (L)
            Shack's Window Co. Beta1 (L)
            Quarry Golf Club V2 (L)
            Metamora Fields V1 (L)
            Metamora Fields Par 3 (L)
            University Ridge V1 (L)
            Stonewall_North_gCool/B33 (L)
            Stonewall_Old_gCool/B33 (L)
            Green Hill G.C. V2(L)
            The Bear Forest CC V2 (L)
            Perkins & Friends V1 (L)
            Bellewood CC V1(L)
            Stonewall North Par 3 (L)
            Stonewall Old Par 3 (L)
            The Ranch V1 (L)
            Shenandoah BlueRed V1 (L)

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba22
              Welcome teamacacia! Great stuff. This is the ball team is referring to try. I will pick up a dozen today and try it out for you. Anyone try this ball with Skytrak? Will test both and let you know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n84642[/ATTACH]
              I'd be interested to hear how they work for you with the SkyTrak as well.

Comment

So could you use the system at it is right now to play a full round on TGC?

Comment

Originally posted by Misike

I'd be interested to hear how they work for you with the SkyTrak as well.
                  On Tuesday I will do a round with only Crome Soft golf balls and post the video. I will also do a test with several different types of golf balls so we can all see if there is any difference.
                  My Courses:

DGWCBETA1 (L)
                  Shack's Window Co. Beta1 (L)
                  Quarry Golf Club V2 (L)
                  Metamora Fields V1 (L)
                  Metamora Fields Par 3 (L)
                  University Ridge V1 (L)
                  Stonewall_North_gCool/B33 (L)
                  Stonewall_Old_gCool/B33 (L)
                  Green Hill G.C. V2(L)
                  The Bear Forest CC V2 (L)
                  Perkins & Friends V1 (L)
                  Bellewood CC V1(L)
                  Stonewall North Par 3 (L)
                  Stonewall Old Par 3 (L)
                  The Ranch V1 (L)
                  Shenandoah BlueRed V1 (L)

Comment

Originally posted by Brace33

On Tuesday I will do a round with only Crome Soft golf balls and post the video. I will also do a test with several different types of golf balls so we can all see if there is any difference.
                    Awesome! I use the chrome soft Truvis version in real life, really interested to see how they compare with other models on the sim. Would even be interesting to see how the Truvis compares to the regular white same model Chromesoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Cklguy2013 View Post
                      So could you use the system at it is right now to play a full round on TGC?
                      Yes you can play a full round.

Comment

I also played a full round.
                        My Courses:
                        World Par 3's by mthunt
                        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                        Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                        Weston G&CC by mthunt
                        London Hunt Club L mthunt
                        Park CC Lidar mthunt
                        Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                        Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                        The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                        The National GC L mthunt
                        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                        Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                        Markland Woods CC mthunt
                        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                        Magna GC L mthunt
                        Barrie CC L mthunt
                        mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba22 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n84642[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks! I'm more of a PV1x kinda guy, but picked up a dozen of the yellow with black pentagon golf balls the other day. They are a bit interesting to look at, but its nice to mix it up a bit. I will plan on using them with ST should I pick one up in the next few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                          X