Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin R10 getting seriously good

Hi

Currently using skytrak, was about to purchase a mevo plus but then i watched David Maxfield Golf video on you tube where he compares mevo plus to garmin r10.

Both units tracked the shots similtaneously and the 3d shot rendering on both the units were identical with every hit, it was actually amazing to see, because he didn't even notice how identical the shots were, he was focused on the carry distances.

It seems garmin have sorted the spin axis issue they had, i know mevo plus had the same issue when it was first launched as well.

Garmin now measures the spin rate and seems it does a better job than mevo plus on estimated spin rates when used indoors.

Garmin now compatiable with awesome golf (the coaching section really gives very good club visuals of the numbers) again amazing and cheap.

Mevo plus cheap at the moment, but Garmin is just such a steal i don't think anyone will be unhappy with 1.

R10 is cheap, portable, easy to setup compared to mevo plus and WATERPROOF (UK guys who have planning issues getting sheds potential solution).

So I ordered one and will use it till rapsodo launch something special.

My skytrak is fine but after 5 years the subscription thing is starting to p*ss me off, i dont know why cause its small money, but i have been looking at alternatives rather than renewing my subs.

This is so great to hear and watch some of the new videos. I don't think I will be updating my home sim until next summer/fall, but was planning for Mevo+ but hoping Garmin R10 would get there! I wonder if there is any chance that they will be able to include a putting model ever? I don't mind not having it, but it would be icing on the cake.

Comment

• HappyGilmore102
      HappyGilmore102 commented
      Editing a comment
      With radar no putting is good under 6ft.

10ft + gimmes sucks when playing sim, so it is what it is.

The setup required for radar putting is also a pain, I just won't bother, i think rapsodo will launch something new pretty soon.

I have a skytrak, but i think i'll be using R10 more.

• slikk66
      slikk66 commented
      Editing a comment
      My buddy has a mevo+ we have tried to use the putting several times, it just doesn't work out. first off, it doesnt read it very often, we have followed their setup guide and tried many different options. when it does read, the power measured doesn't seem to match reality. Also, you are often putting straight ahead and letting the e6 do the path for you, which means there's not much to do than hit it straight. Overall we've always gone back to "let computer decide". One thing we thought about doing (haven't yet) is to put the game into "player decides" and once we get on the green, we would walk over to the putting mat (12x4 i think) and do some putts, maybe like within 10 ft, make the putt on mat to get 1 stroke. 20 ft, make 2, something like that. Seems like a better balance.

• HappyGilmore102
      Editing a comment
      Hi slikk66

I guess if you want to putt you need a camera based system, skytrak putts well on TGC2019.

Maybe flightscope upgrade will sort putting.

I want to buy a mevo + but right now its too tricky to setup, lineup, set the right angles etc....

I just want to put it down and start hitting balls like a skytrak, the battery life also needs to be upgraded to at least 5 hours, who wants to carry around a power brick.

I have the R10 and like it just wish I had a better simulator space

Comment

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      @Riefig - what are you lacking - distance/length as you need 14' minimum? Other than that, I recessed mine into the wall, so I end up with just over 15' total.

Worth noting the measured spin metrics are only for >20m of ball flight and >90mph ball speed - any less and it estimates, so it's unclear if indoor performance has significantly improved in the calculation updates.

Nice to see they figured out spin axis, though.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
      bubbtubbs commented
      Editing a comment
      Accurate or not, it's still not measured.

Glad it's working well now. It was hot garbage on release.

• HappyGilmore102
      Editing a comment
      Yeah

and I remember Mevo Plus being all over the place when it was released, just watch HYBRID ME video on youtube, he never went back to mevo plus.

Skytrak was terrible back in 2016 as well.

I'll probably buy a Mevo Plus in 2023 after the upgrade kinks have been worked out, just to compare the 3 units for myself.

I think I already know what the results will be.

• bubbtubbs
      bubbtubbs commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely. Any first-adopters of a technology are going to go through headaches and growing pains as the device comes into its own. I'm just not one of those people willing to gamble how much the device improves and would rather know what I'm getting into.

As I said before, it's really promising the strides the company has made in the last four months. Skytrak took forever to fix some of its issues.

I hope TGC will become compatible with Garmin soon, fingers crossed.

Comment

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too - I keep asking, and there is an API for ProTee, so not sure when/if they will make an integration that works? If they did, I'm sure they could sell quite a few more TGC2019 software packages... to go along with the R10 integration?

Happy where are you getting the info that the R10 measures spin? Is that total spin and spin axis? Do you have a link to that video? All good stuff.

Comment

• Bubba22
      Bubba22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. So there may be some spin measurement outdoors but not indoors. It doesn't mention spin axis which I assume is calculated indoors and outdoors. Total spin is important but spin axis is the holy grail of indoor golf. I would be very interested to know how they calculate spin axis indoor and outdoors.

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      Bubba22 - I'm not really sure how they are calculating spin axis, but I did see a recent post from someone who owns a Trackman saying that all the numbers matched up between the Trackman and the R10 EXCEPT for the Driver... Spin, distance and everything else matched. That's good news and almost proves the accuracy for me - short of me buying a Trackman to test it out side-by-side with R10, if you have both, give it a shot...

Just noticed - that guy rastam4n - just posted about it below... 2 posts down...

• HappyGilmore102
      Editing a comment
      HI Bubba22

here is the link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sWAVnTiIg0

Yeah, the more options for Garmin the better. It seems like it's getting to be a better product all the time.

Comment

Today I had a golf fitting session with a local pro at his indoor hitting studio using Trackman. I brought my R10 just to see how close or far off it was.
      I am happy to report, the R10 is pretty much spot on using irons, everything was within 5 yards of track man and even the spin rates were close. Driver on the other hand was off, I was hitting 240 - 260 on the Trackman and the Garmin was reporting 220 - 230. Pretty significant difference, and I am happy to have this info. I have been struggling at home to get my driver where I feel I normally hit it, and this proves to me the Garmin is underreporting. I can relax on the driver now.

Comment

• HappyGilmore102
        Editing a comment
        Hi rastam4n

I don't know what to say,

I'm about 105 to 110mph swing speed and get 230 to 240m carry which is about right for me.

David Maxfield videos he seems to get the same numbers as well.

Do you think these range pros boost the driver settings on trackman to help sell clubs maybe?

I wish i could offer some help, maybe hit into a darker net, black or green instead of white, that might affect driver readings.

Good luck

• rastam4n
        rastam4n commented
        Editing a comment
        The numbers are total distance not carry, that would be the difference in club speed vs distance. Either way, the R10 is still reading short, regardless if I look at carry or total. Same difference

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        rastam4n - if you're on E6 you can raise your elevation to 4K-10K above sea level to get greater distance... but I think that affects all your numbers. Not sure there's a good solution to just boosting driver.

Originally posted by HappyGilmore102 View Post
      I hope TGC will become compatible with Garmin soon, fingers crossed.
      Do we really want to spend $1000 for TGC to use on a $600 Garmin?

Comment

• nbar
        nbar commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely if the R10 s that good TGC would be great to play sim golf. If I at anytime I moved up just pay the transfer fee. E6 is too expensive and doesn't have anywhere near the number of golf courses as TGC.

• rastam4n
        rastam4n commented
        Editing a comment
        It's really up to TGC to do the integration, a few companies have already found workarounds to connect the Garmin to their software.
        FYI, I only paid $200 for E6 PC standard subscription. TGC sounds amazing, but I doubt I would pay much more than that unless there was significant value add.

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        rastam4n - I heard it's the other way around and that ProTee United is ready to do the integration now, but that they have not been approached by Garmin? I'm not sure which is correct, but either way - I wish someone would sort this out soon. Would really like to play TGC2019 on my Garmin Approach R10.

The Skytrak took a good few months to sort out its problems and I have no doubt with further updates in the future the Garmin R10 will be fabulous. The distances sometimes are a bit off at the moment but the shot shape is spot on. I got rid of the Skytrak about 4+ years ago because I hated the subscriptions. It was cheaper to play golf

Comment

• bubbtubbs
        bubbtubbs commented
        Editing a comment
        Took them 5 years to sort out the high ball speed problem though.

I desperately want to purchase a Garmin R10 but they are sold out everywhere and on back order right now. I'm on the waitlist, or whatever, but I've heard there's nothing coming out until March at the earliest. So disappointing

Comment

• bubbtubbs
        bubbtubbs commented
        Editing a comment
        In early 2020, it was something like a 16-20wk lead time to get a Skytrak so pre-owned units were selling for more than the price of a new one.

8-10wks isn't that bad.

Originally posted by trigs View Post
      I desperately want to purchase a Garmin R10 but they are sold out everywhere and on back order right now. I'm on the waitlist, or whatever, but I've heard there's nothing coming out until March at the earliest. So disappointing
      I went to my local golf store and asked them about purchasing the R10. The guy at the store told me that they would be getting a very limited amount of R10s in February that would be only available online. I wasn't given a specific date, but figured I'd just check daily. Luckily, they were available Feb. 1st so I just purchased one! Can't wait until I can set it up and start playing!

I really like how the Home Tee Hero mode lets you play courses in your area. It is cool that I can play Augusta and other pro courses, but let's be honest - I'm going to do terrible on them Being able to play all the regular courses that I normally play in my area is pretty cool and helps me practice for the real thing. Not to mention, there are other courses around me that I've never played mostly because of the green fees being a little too much. However, now I can virtually give them a try. So excited!

Comment

Originally posted by trigs View Post
        I ordered mine on Jan 2 from Top shelf golf. They just sent me an email that it's arriving today. A week ago I sent an email on the status of the order, and this is what they sent me back.

"Unfortunately, we have not gotten the exact shipping dates from Garmin. We are getting notified only when they allocate the units to us and those allocations don’t correspond with our order sizes. The supply of R10’s is extremely low at this time and we are not able to know exactly when we will ship your Garmin order. We get them out sequentially. We will send you a tracking number as soon as your unit ships.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!"

Comment

I have been testing the R10 the past week. It's just as I suspected. Decent unit but they need to adjust the spin especially in higher clubs. Registers way too low. Spin axis is off at least 50% of the time. This is all indoors. Club speed and basic ball data ( speed, horizontal and vertical launch) are good. Great for the price.

Comment

• HappyGilmore102
            Editing a comment
            Hi

Bubba i dont agree with you at all. The only high spin i get is with driver and that goes for all radar units.

bry Robards long drive champ just did a comparison with GCquad on you tube spin with irons very close.

GCQUAD vs GARMIN R10 | Bry Roberts Long DriveIn this video, I compare my own GCQuad (£20,000) brand new, against the GARMIN R10 (£500) brand new.How will thi...

• Bubba22
            Bubba22 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I am finding indoors. That video is outdoors. In my setup the driver spin is high and iron spin low. Spin axis is less consistent. All compared to my GC2 indoors.

I also have the Mevo plus with pro package and the findings are similar but Mevo is definitely more consistent and numbers closer to my GC2.

Not knocking the Garmin, it’s a good unit for the price but it is what it is in my hands indoors. Will take it to the range once the snow melts.
        Working...
        X