Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @JudgeSmails and Rooster (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 SPRING TOUR - The Genesis Invitational !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SPRING TOUR - World Golf Championships-Mexico with 2 rounds at TPC @ Boston (Pro Tee) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...o-championship
See more
See less

PhiGolf WGT Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nbar
    commented on 's reply
    I may be one of the lucky ones; I have R Motion for 3 months now and never had a clip break. I also have Optishot for about a year. In my opinion R Motion is far better than Optishot in accurately. The Golf Club graphics are outstanding compared to Optishot. I haven’t used the Optishot once since I bought R Motion.

• Chuck
    replied
    Being a geek garage golfer there is a lot I can tell you about the Phi-golf device. Hardware-wise, it's the only 9-DOF club tracking device's I'm aware of. That is a full +/- (X/Y/Z, Rho/Theta/Phi, X/Y/Z) Gyroscope, Accelerometer, and Magnetometer. Strap it to a club and you have tracking that can rival any camera system, even exceed most of them. I don't like how it mounts to the top of the club through the grip hole because it makes moving the device from club to club a challenge. A challenge in that the on-off button is on top of the Phi devive, and pulling the device out of one club, and pushing it into another will almost always result in accidentally turning the device off, breaking the BT connection, and requiring the software to be reset (ARGHH!!). I've never made it through a WGT game using real clubs because of that design. If I stick with the swing stick, it's not bad but ... I like Phi's home-made sim software, it's cheesy but it works well on an Android (as limited as it is). But that makes it worth it. The whole WGT android experience, however, is slow as crap due to all of the pre-game downloads. Even with fiber and 802.11ac speeds, it takes a while to get started (and forget doing anything stand-alone). WGT is like I've said in other forums; it's just a delivery tool for in-app purchases. It's as frustrating as being dropped into hell with a hot cup of coffee on a hot summer day in a hot car. Still, some people like that kind of thing.

It's very different compared to R-motion (and TGC) or Tittle--X (and Trugolf/E6) that actually are full simulators. I would love to see Phigolf show up on E6, TGC or others on a PC/linux box or Apple/BSD thing. That would be awsome.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny
    replied
    I was considering getting this since its listed as a top 5 simulator according to this site. However one of the cons to this is that it's not suitable for left-hand people. Does anyone have any experience with that?
    Top 5 Best Indoor Golf Simulators For Home Or The Office. Golf simulators have become one of the biggest needs for golfers over the past few years.

Leave a comment:

• cueman8
    replied
    Hi need some help I have a phigolf system plays great until I get on the green after that it locks up an won’t let me putt. Phigolf replaced the sensor but it still stops on the green an no putting.
    wondering if anyone else is or has had this problem an how it was fixed.
    The system seems to be good as far as ball distance.
    Thx Tom

Leave a comment:

• JCauthen
    replied
    In response to Chuck's comment: "I agree 100% with you. I would love to see a Phigolf on TGC2019 or one of the other SIM packages. I'm not a fan of WGT either for the very reasons you mention; flat, static, and annoying. I like their home-brew android sim. Perhaps it's the game engine, but if the did the sim with a game engine like "Urho3d" then maybe able to get good realist landscapes"

I sort of get the feeling that Phigolf is taking a lower profile with this product, based on their limited participation in this thread, but then again, this thread doesn't seem to get much traffic so maybe they think it's not worth their effort. I don't know how common our thoughts are on the presentation style of WGT, but I can't help but think that anyone who would do an A/B comparison between the direct swing camera style of TGC 2019 and the up to 30 feet removed camera perspective of WGT would come away feeling more immersed in the perspective of TGC 2019. I really don't know why TGC 2019 couldn't have an option to remove the golfer entirely, and put the Phigolf equipped player right up to the ball, like Pro Tee and other launch simulators do with TGC 2019.

The bottom line though is that both Phigolf and HB Studios would have to be convinced they'd be getting a target return on investment to make this become a reality. It might be too late in the life cycle of TGC 2019 for either party to think there'd be enough demand for it. If TGC 2020 or 2021 is looming on the horizon, it would probably be more fruitful for them to wait on that.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    commented on 's reply
    I agree 100% with you. I would love to see a Phigolf on TGC2019 or one of the other SIM packages. I'm not a fan of WGT either for the very reasons you mention; flat, static, and annoying. I like their home-brew android sim. Perhaps it's the game engine, but if the did the sim with a game engine like "Urho3d" then maybe able to get good realist landscapes.
    Last edited by Chuck; 12-07-2019, 04:19 AM.

• JCauthen
    replied
    I'm impressed with what I'm reading of the Phigolf Simulator and its ultimate potential. However, I've got to be honest and admit that I'm not that much of a fan of WGT's photo mosaic method of presenting golf courses. It looks good in still screen shots, but it feels a bit static in action. I also have a problem relating to the oft distant positioning of the golfer within the closest course picture to the player's actual lie on the course. It feels more like I'm controlling a remote control golfer than being able to visualize my perspective as the golfer being from a fixed swing camera perspective, directly behind and at close proximity to the golfer.

I'd love to see Phigolf hook up with The Golf Club 2019 and be an integrated control device in that game. TGC 2019 seems to be quite popular with Pro Tee, GC2, and SkyTrak users. I think it would be a great fit with PhiGolf... I know it would compell me to buy a Phigolf simulator if it were to come about.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    You know what Phi_team, you really have a winner with just a little additional physics modeled. If there was some AI in the software, there really isn't anything you can't measure with the Phi. You should have some physical parameters set, like club length, shaft-flex (?), etc, and you can probably determine Real-vs-Foam-vs-Air based on the swing data from the Phi. What I want to do is take the Phi to the driving range and use your app as the swing recorder system. I have the Phi attached to my Android-TV and with the stick, I enjoy the App you-all developed. I've yet to get through 18 on WGT though. In the deep stretches of winter to come, maybe. Have you all at Phi looked at driver creations for other software like E6?

Leave a comment:

• Phigolf_team
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Chuck, we are impressed! I've shared this with the team and they are thankful as well. We appreciate your comments and we are working on software improvements for our customers.
    Last edited by Phigolf_team; 11-29-2019, 02:31 AM.

• Phigolf_team
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Thomas View Post
    Mine arrives this Thursday, looking forward to online play. I'm not expecting gc2 accuracies, but more fun and all The WGT phi tournaments. Hopefully they're handicap tournaments🤪
    Hi Jeff! Thank you for your purchase, and we'd love to see you in our monthly tournaments both on the Phigolf and WGT app!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Nice. The Phi-golf has a great sensor. It's a full 9-degree sensor; with a dX-dY-dZ accelerometer, Rho-Theta-Phi gyroscope, and X-Y-Z magnetometer, and high-speed Bluetooth. It's like the sensor found in the Samsung Android phones, or the Apple iPhones. It's a heck of a sophisticated device. There are so many things you could measure with it on a golf club. For all of the math to work out, you really do need club length since it can only measure the motion of the very tip of the handle and it won't really know clubface speed without club length. Their standard estimates for length and club-head-mass seem to fit the average. By comparison, the Tittle-X is just 6-DOF, and R-motion is also just 6-DOF. With the addition of a magnetometer, you get an orientation value (if nothing interferes with it, like fluorescent lamps ballast for example). Phi should be able to make a device driver (motion capture) that would compete with the best of them.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Thomas
    replied
    Mine arrives this Thursday, looking forward to online play. I'm not expecting gc2 accuracies, but more fun and all The WGT phi tournaments. Hopefully they're handicap tournaments🤪

Leave a comment:

• Phigolf_team
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Anansi! Good idea - it would be awesome to design your own course. I have sent this to the dev team and we hope to see it in the future!

• Phigolf_team
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    I took the Phigolf stick over to my Brother's house this weekend for a BBQ party that he was hosting and we had a blast with it. Okay given it's not a full-blown simulator, the fact it worked on the Android and I could *cast* that screen over to the TV made it a very nice and quick system to set up. I have to say that casting your phone screen over to the television with just a few commands is pretty slick. Anyway, it was the hit of the party.! The kids loved it as well as the adults when taking shots in our longest drive contest. So that's one thing I will say about the PHI golf system is that if you know what you're paying for and you know what you're getting it's definitely worth the investment. Fact is it's pretty fun in a group. If you're gonzo over golf and have a party that you want to entertain, this is the device for you. As far as real ball strikes and a real simulator experience, you're not going to get that with​​​​​ this device, but it is great for parties.

While the hardware is there for real ball impacts and real club mounting, its not easy to move club to club like the clip of R-motion or TittleX, nor the real ball placement of Optishot or Skytrack. The tracking is excellent though. But the real issue IMHO is software. It's not an E6 or Optishot or TGC. It's an Android thing making it unique in this market. Bottom line though it's a thumbs up in spite of the full-sim deficiencies.
    Hi Chuck! Glad to hear you and your family had a blast using Phigolf. We also appreciate your feedback as well, and I have forwarded them to our team. Happy golfing!

Leave a comment:

• Anansi
    replied
    Phigolf_team Phi Kim Phigolf
    Have you considered releasing a course creator for Phi Golf? The PhiGolf sim app is a fun app for casual sim play, and I’d love to have the ability to create my local course. Given that the sim runs in mobile devices, a basic PC-based course creator would be a game-changer. (And it would make for some awesome additions to the PhiGolf tournaments that you run.)@PhiKim or
    Last edited by Anansi; 09-15-2019, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X