NEW - Flightscope Mevo+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW - Flightscope Mevo+

It looks like Flightscope is bringing an updated Mevo to the January PGA Merchandise Show. According to the brief blurb, this version will have skills combines and golf course simulation. Another exhibitor, Awesome Golf, is listed as a new simulation partner for Flightscope, and I assume that this is the software that might work with this new Mevo. Looks like something to keep an eye on!

You don’t need to put the ball on a laser spot or raise the unit for driver like Skytrak. That is going to be huge for simple play!

Comment

Is there a shot delay with a Mevo?

Comment

• games
        games commented
        Editing a comment
        Not significant. But, MEVO doesn't measure lateral spin or detect spin axis to determine calculations for simulation, either... Will be interesting to see if MEVO+ has a delay...

• Aapo
        Aapo commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean this new mevo+ or the old mevo?

Been giving this some more thought as a SkyTrak replacement but I use it probably 80% inside so radar has me a bit concerned.

If anyone happens to be at PGA show I’d love to know what this unit does when it doesn’t measure spin. I know Trackman will estimate it when it doesn’t measure but I think that’s based on club data. If Mevo+ isn’t capturing face and path I’m unclear how it can estimate spin and azimuth.

If the backspin is really the only dodgy thing indoors with radar I still may consider this as I feel my mat causes more oddness with backspin than anything else but if the short flight has big impacts on other ball parameters this may not be a SkyTrak upgrade for me.

Comment

I would not be worried. When i bought my xi+ we had the same concerns. After a while it was clear that club data was just hidden by the software.

there is no reason why the memo+ would not measure club data or spin. And no, the lower radar frequency do not lower resolution in that aspect. Just the ability to measure range to multiple objects within the given wave length.

Comment

To be clear, the radar based units will not measure club face angle. They will measure swing plane and AoA and estimate club face from this and measured/calculated spin. Mevo + will not measure club face.

Comment

Correct bubba, sorry if I was unclear.

my point was that FS previously hidden club data in the cheaper models but they were still able to present club data when hacked. I see no reason why FS isn’t doing the exact same thing with the Mevo.

Comment

• Bubba22
              Bubba22 commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. Most likely they will not show the club data in MEVO+.

Current MEVO flight is minimum of 8 feet but I understand it tracks up to 80 yards of flight. I do believe where MEVO gets wonky is higher speed players and limited flight. My driver SS is 90 mph and at 9-10 feet of flight, MEVO is good for me, but it's only tracking ball speed and total spin. I have to believe the more flight you have, the better lateral spin can be reliably measured and estimated for spin purposes.

Comment

I suspect that spin axis in the Mevo+ will not be directly measured but calculated from club path and ball direction. Total spin will be measured using the metal stickers. Calculated data is still accurate. If the measured values are good then it should be very acceptable. Obviously it won't take into account gear effect however it should be acceptable.

Comment

How much is one of these things?
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                London Hunt Club L mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

• Bubba22
                  Bubba22 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think it will be around $2000 with 5 E6 courses and a range app.

• mthunt
                  mthunt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Worth it Bubba or is it a toy?

• Bubba22
                  Bubba22 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think there is a place for it given the price point. We will see if that's the true price. I just worry that indoors the unit will have a lot of no reads or calculated reads given its reliance on space.
                  Last edited by Bubba22; 01-19-2020, 08:22 PM.

You guys have amazing knowledge on the tech.

Even though this isn’t outputting path/face like I’d hope I’m still getting closer to seeing this as an upgrade from my SkyTrak for my purposes.

Most of my usage is indoors but due to ceiling height I’m only hitting 5 iron down. So “worst” ball speed and spin combination is 140/4000 roughly. I have 17 ft from net to back wall so with dots it seems like spin measurement actually should be “ok”.

I can take a Mevo+ to the range for when I hit longer clubs which I don’t bother with my SkyTrak. I also setup in my back yard during better weather and SkyTrak struggles with the light.

In theory a “Mevo Tour” if they wanted to bring that level down in price could be a software unlock for a fee as opposed to having to replace the whole thing if path is already being measured and face isn’t measured on high end models.

I’m gaining AoA (which I need to work on), I suspect better HLA and measured club speed without also having to setup my SC200.

I’ll have to look at software for practice as I do like the SkyTrak App but hopefully FS has comparable features. I’m not sure if Mevo+ will feed data to MyFS.com or how that compares to MyTM.com but if that works it would be a massive upgrade on SkyTrak (I love the MyTM.com data I get at my lessons).

Comment

I don't disagree Gresh. The unit has potential. It needs to be tested and verified. Radar based units are great but are challenged indoors. Outdoors will be a non issue. Your points are well stated and if delivered as advertised then this could be a good upgrade.

Comment

Regarding use of dots: A year or two ago, a poster on another golf forum posted a link to a Flightscope patent for a golf ball radar unit that measured spin by the ball seam. No dots! To work, the seam is placed perpendicular to the target line...

Comment

• JackedUpSwing
                      JackedUpSwing commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How do you know where the seem is?

Originally posted by games View Post
                    Regarding use of dots: A year or two ago, a poster on another golf forum posted a link to a Flightscope patent for a golf ball radar unit that measured spin by the ball seam. No dots! To work, the seam is placed perpendicular to the target line...
                    Radar based units can measure spin (not spin axis) without a metal dot. The dot improves the ability to confidently measure total spin. I suspect it’s needed for the Meavo+ to get accurate indoor spin.

Comment

Someone who is attending the show please run to their booth and post a ton of videos so we can see it in action!

Comment

I used my Xi+ indoors exclusively and after a while i skipped the metal sticker. I just didnt see any difference in general. What i saw was that it failed horribly on about one out of fifty but it was easily detected and could be disregarded. Outside it did not miss a shot, simple as that.

A poster above had concerns about the skytrack app compared to FS and in my opinion FS is superior and the entire system i had was much more reliable. No glitches or bugs and it just delivered.

I swapped to skytrak due to lack of room and i am seriosly considering buying the Mevo+ and extend my current work shop.

One thing that i also found out was that the Xi+ was more then able to work with less then recommended distance LM-ball-wall, or at least my Xi+ was.

Comment

• games
                          games commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My experience is same as yours. I used mevo alongside Trackman and Flightscope without stickers and found spin to generally be within a reasonable variance from the pro line units.
                      Working...
                      X