Titleist Pro V1 RCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titleist Pro V1 RCT

Titleist is releasing their RCT ProV1 and ProV1x for better radar tracking on November 3rd for $65/dozen.

I know it was developed with Trackman, but does it work with Flightscope radar too?

Kind of a steep price over the metallic dots

Here is the article for this long awaited ball. They note that it works down to 8 feet of ball flight.

Trackman and Titleist have partnered on a new (sorta) golf ball. The Titleist Pro V1 RCT is the first golf ball specifically designed for use with

Comment

• DS12
      DS12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dax. I didn't see that article, but I'm curious on the comment about the "low spin, toe strike" that was potentially misread by Trackman. I did see that it might (or might not) work with other radar devices, so that'll be something to keep an eye on.

• Dax
      Dax commented
      Editing a comment
      DS12 I saw that as well. This is something that TM noted as an issue back in 2014 (or around there) with their TM3e in an publication that they did at the time. I think TM was putting these publications out to counter some misinformation that was being floated around at that time. In the article, TM noted this as being something that was tricky for them to work around. I am not sure if this was resolved with OERT or not, but testing by @leomode with his TM4 against others led me to believe that they do get a fix. With all that said, now that we have this new ball and if TM can now read spin axis (as I believe they are stating), then I think more testing will be needed. I actually wonder if OERT is still needed? Or if it is still being used when the new ball is in use. Either way, if it is an issue, then hopefully TM can address the issue.

Article said that Trackman adjusted it's algorithm for the new ball, I wonder if the benefit won't be as big for Mevo+/X3 users.

Comment

I think that this could be used by other radar units, but those other companies would need to do a bit of R&D and software adjustments to get it to work for their systems. Also, TM may also have some new patents out that may need to be kept in mind for other companies.

Comment

If Flightscope has their own patent tracking ball flight with the metal dot, I think it'd be more software updates to get the stripe under the cover to read.

Also, if Titleist doesn't have a great design patent on this ball, I wouldn't be shocked to see some copycats show up if it comes out as a decent seller in colder climates in the winter months.

Comment

Agree and the marketing material from Titleist seems to indicate that the ball can be used with other radar based launch monitors. I just question if they merely need to do a firmware update. My thoughts are that this would be a firmware which would require testing and playing around with things.

Comment

The stickers are easy enough. Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbtubbs View Post
              The stickers are easy enough. Meh.
              While I agree that stickers are not the end of the world to have to adhere to a golf ball, the claim is that this Titleist ball is better and will read spin in short distances compared to a dot that may or may not read 100% correctly each time.

I just don't see how it's that much better than the dot. If it is, why don't they have a metal stripe or X or V you can attach to any ball to get 99% accurate reads? Does it eliminate lining up a ball a specific way? Yes. Does it perform significantly better? TBD
              Paying $1.40 more per ProV1 to eliminate a 3.5 cent metallic dot doesn't seem great if the performance isn't astronomically better

Comment

• bubbtubbs
                bubbtubbs commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. Show me statistical proof that it works significantly better with a Flightscope device. Until then, I'll use normal ProV or ZStars.

According to Flightscope founder Henri Johnson, when not set to short-indoor mode, the Mevo+ (and I assume X3) measures the phase modulation coming from the ball's seam (3:10) where the ball acts like a dialectric lens (9:30).

So there's a high possibility that Mevo+ could be set to short indoor mode and for it to detect the increased phase modulation from this new ball without a sticker. (or maybe it could be even set to just indoor instead of short indoor)

The only issue I see with the metal dot is that you end up hitting the same side of the ball all the time and I expect it to cause a weak spot in the ball resulting in less performance and prone to cracking quicker. (or maybe it doesn't make much difference, no idea)

​​​​​​
              Last edited by aussiebenny; 10-20-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
                bubbtubbs commented
                Editing a comment
                The cover usually gets wrecked enough that I retire it to the golf bag long before I'd expect the interior to suffer damage from repetitive strikes.

Even slight scuffing can cause wear on the screen at 9000+ RPM.

• DS12
                DS12 commented
                Editing a comment
                Did Titleist claim this RCT ball is more durable? I saw it said it would perform just like a normal ProV1, so I'd think it would last the same amount of shots as a normal one. Does the length of time used warrant $5+ golf ball over the dot and hitting exclusively on one side?

I'm not saying this golf ball isn't a great R&D feat, but until I see that it has better performance than the dot, I don't know if it was needed.

• aussiebenny
                aussiebenny commented
                Editing a comment
                bubbtubbs Yeah. I'm using an archery net atm so the screen is very durable. But my poly-sandwich impact screen is coming next week, so I'll have to check my balls more often for scuffs. In saying that, I'm currently using Callaway Diablo Tour 2020 balls (bought like 12 boxes as it was on sale) and found them to be superb. Spin rate is about 15% less than Pro V1, feels soft, and the cover is super resilient to groove scuffs. Two dozen balls lasted me about 2 months so far. and I've been averaging about 150-200 hits per day. (Only 2 cracked so far out of 24) So that equates to about 150-250 hits per ball so far and most are still going strong and some still look like it's been hit only about 10 times. I hIghly recommend it for indoor sim practice.

DS12 Seems they claim that it performs identically to a standard Pro V1/V1x. No mention of extra durability. But Titleist claims that the reflective layer creates 99 percent spin accuracy for TrackMan. I don't know what the percentage was for the dot with TM, but surely can't be better than 99%. So sounds like the ball does result more accurate and consistent spin readings. If so, that is worth the money alone for many I'm sure.

I think it's just convenience now more than anything. Those who can afford the new ball will certainly use it over the stickers simply because it's one less thing (orientation & alignment of the sticker) to worry about.

Also, from what I've read about this new RCT ball is that it is even more accurate and more consistently measured than a stickered ball. (they say it's measured 99% of the time with TM) So that's huge for the professionals and trainers.

If it can make my longer club shots more accurate or consistently measured with my Mevo+, I'll use it also for sure. (e.g. for my 3 wood and driver shots at least)
              Last edited by aussiebenny; 10-20-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
                bubbtubbs commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe.

I can definitely afford it but my balls do both course and sim duty so I'd rather buy one giant batch of V1s and sticker them than pay for a radar line I might not use on some of them.

With an automated sprinkler system, robot lawnmower and robot vacuum, I think I can spare the couple seconds to apply the dot.

If this “fixes” Mevo+ spin issues with short ball flight the cost is a no brainer to me. I hit in to a net so a scuff won’t stop me from using them until they break effectively.

If this works for Mevo+ and their new fusion tracking helps on short shots (or adds club path and face angle) the Mevo+ value for money may increase dramatically.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
                bubbtubbs commented
                Editing a comment
                Gresh12 seems the obvious course of action is to borrow a ball and test it against a dotted V1 at home.

• aussiebenny
                aussiebenny commented
                Editing a comment
                Gresh12 Many here will be very interested in the results of you using that ball with the Mevo+ in his setup and in yours.

• Gresh12
                Gresh12 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I can borrow a ball but I won’t have a control launch monitor. I can see if I get less italics and crazy high driver spin goes away at home but I still won’t know if I’m getting good axis without a secondary machine. But I’m sure someone here will have access to a Mevo+ and a quad or GC3 as I bet some make that upgrade) before too long. I don’t know anyone local that has a Foresight monitor unfortunately.

This is great news! I'm hoping it will also increase read capabilities of my Garmin R10, but as the article says it may require software updates, or firmware updates to pickup, but maybe not.

According to the article it was a 'huge' increase in side-spin reads and 20%-30% reduction in distance needed to read ball-flight.

I will gladly pay $65/dozen if it increases accuracy, as I can't see myself ever using 'marked balls' - they drive me nuts and part of the reason I purchased R10 in the first place is it does not require ball-marking. I can't stand something being added to my game 'in simulator only' that is not there when playing IRL. Really looking forward to November 3rd to give them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiebenny View Post
                The only issue I see with the metal dot is that you end up hitting the same side of the ball all the time and I expect it to cause a weak spot in the ball resulting in less performance and prone to cracking quicker. (or maybe it doesn't make much difference, no idea)
                ​​​​​​
                Since it's only important that the metal dot is on the target-line axis of the ball, we recommend positioning the ball with the dot straight up, which distributes your impacts randomly around the entire circumference of the ball. That's how we use the dots with both TrackMan 4 and Mevo+ in our studio, and get very good spin and spin axis reads from both units with 10-11 ft of ball flight.

That said, we'll be testing the RCT balls as soon as we get our hands on them.

- Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• aussiebenny
                  aussiebenny commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ahhh. I did initially point it up, but that was when I didn't realize you had to point it forward. Also, as I only have 9 feet flight, my ball should rotate a little less than yours I guess. But yeah, I will definitely try and compare front and top today and see if top is as good or same as front.

• fortner28
                  fortner28 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is your store planning to be a seller of these balls?

For proper operation, it will probably be necessary to update FW and adapt the pattern for radar tracking.

Comment

aussiebenny i believe you should get the same result with the sticker posted up rather than towards the screen. The difference will be that with the sticker pointed up there should be more even wear around the ball and this increase it’s longevity.

if I recall a release video of the Mevo+, the inventor commented that FS reads the sticker when it is pointed to the radar as well as when it is pointed away (he noted that the radar could “see through the ball”).

Comment

• aussiebenny
                    aussiebenny commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I tried this couple of days ago.

Hit about 10 balls with sticker facing forward, and hit about 10 balls facing straight up. Both with my 6 iron with 9.5 feet of ball flight. and I have found that facing it forward captures the ball spin more often than when facing it upwards. e.g. with facing it upwards, I was getting a measured reading (non-italics) once about 50-60% of the time. With it facing forward, I was getting a measured reading about 80-90% of the time.

I haven't tried it with my 3 wood (155-160mph ball speed) but I'm sure it'll be even worse when faced upwards. I'll test it more today when I can.
                    Last edited by aussiebenny; 10-29-2021, 11:06 PM.
                Working...
                X