New R-motion user and have some concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New R-motion user and have some concerns

I got the R-Motion for Christmas and with the few rounds I've played, I have a some concerns. First, I've broken two of the holders on swings so far. I know that I swing hard and really compress into the ball, but my mat is a Country club elite strip and isn't a thin mat. I'm wonder if it's because of where I have the mount mounted. It doesn't seem to have many threads to catch. Both have broke about two threads on one side. At $100 for 13 mounts, this is very concerning. Secondly, every shot shows an in-to-out swing path. Even exaggerating an out-to-in, The best I can do is 2 degrees, which is far less than the exaggeration. I'm sure this has something to do with my strong grip, but the way it registers my shots are far different from my game. Third, the distances are much shorter than reality. I've edited the lofts and place the sensors at the point it shows on the edit screen. I've read that people are tricking it by adjusting the distances, and am wondering if lessening the distance on the shaft would help with the breaking and the distances. Lastly, is there a way to edit the clubs? I don't use a 4 iron, but I do use a gap wedge. I don't see a way to change the club names and don't want to use a decoder ring if I adjust my angles.

One additional thought. I've been using it in my garage which is probably 40 degrees. Perhaps that is why the months are breaking?

I'm playing about a month with the R-Motion and have some problems, too.
    It's almost impossible to get an out-to-in swing plane and a closed clubface. R-Motion shows an open clubface after nearly every swing with an in-to-out swing plane although I see the impact of the ball on the left side of the middle on my screen. I make sure i hold the clubface square about a second before i swing.
    Is this an issue of the sensor?

Comment

Joe_S Is this just in the APP or is it on TGC too? I have not had any issue with the swing path as it seems to pick mine up pretty good (APP or TGC) and as far as club face it is really hard for me to get my short irons with an open club face in the APP or on TGC as it always shows closed .. so I have just learned to aim more right than what I would in real play. I would suggest contacting them with your issue. Rapsodo has been AWESOME in helping out with any issue I have had so far!
      Last edited by Burtgolf; 01-07-2019, 02:43 AM. Reason: changed aim more left to more right

Comment

It's in TGC. I will try the APP to see how it works there..

Does anyone know why the distances between playing a course or playing on the range differ in some cases? I adjusted the distances of my clubs on the range, but when playing a course some of my shots go much too far. The distance in the recorded shots (ball carry - yards flat range) seems to be the adjusted distance. For example distance of my lob wedge on the course over 70 meters (over the green), ball carry (yards flat range) in the recorded shots about 60 YARDS (distances estimated).

Comment

Joe_S Make sure before you launch TGC you look at the clubs in the R-Motion software and modify the clubs under your username that you select when your using TGC. If you edited the default_ADULT and not your username then that could make the difference.

Comment

That's not the fault. I created a new clubset with my TGC-name.

Comment

No change: Almost every shot shows an open clubface with balls going to the right although i feel an closed clubface with ball going to the left side of my impact screen.
              Sensor can't be ok...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_S View Post
                No change: Almost every shot shows an open clubface with balls going to the right although i feel an closed clubface with ball going to the left side of my impact screen.
                Sensor can't be ok...
                Maybe we should swap sensors... mine is always closed with irons and gets worse with clubs with more loft. I ended up just rotating the sensor on the shaft slightly clockwise in small increments to see if this would change anything and got it all the way to the back of the shaft and the ball actually went backwards... now I am thinking of saying I am left handed and put it back on but on the back of the shaft to see what happens...lol - Honestly I can live with the ball starting left or right based on the face angle .. just cant live with a well hit driver that shows 40* loft with 9* outside in path with 70 yards distance like it was a lob wedge.

Have you tried enabling diagnostic mode and then trying? I doubt it helps much but when mine starts going crazy with the weird face angles and club path this sometimes helps. I had it on and played 9 holes last night and only had one of the weird face angles but still had the club-face closed through impact with irons... but I feel that is accurate ... the ball starting on that path not so much but as others have stated it has to do with the "new" ball flight rules which face angle determines starting path over club path.

I keep sending updates to Rapsodo but no response recently. Still waiting as they were reviewing the data in my last update. I agree though I think something is going on with the sensor. Hopefully they find out what is up soon as many others that are using it are not having the issues we are!

Comment

I did a lot of testing and now the game is playable... :-)
                  I turned the clip very slightly to the left with the result that still the clubface is a bit open, but now the clubpath is more in to out (i.e. greater number than the open clubface). According to the new ball flight laws the ball starts slightly to the right (according to the clubface). But as the clubpath now is greater than the clubface the balls curves to the left (and no more further to the right).

And the ball now flight matches to the swing and clubface i'm feeling...

Comment

Joe_S I think you found the trick!!! I was going to the right previously and tried going left after reading your post and now my club face on the short irons is no longer closed at impact! It is still closed slightly on the mid to long irons but I think that is pretty accurate. I can now chip and hit short irons without having to aim 30 yards to the right!!! Much more accurate of my real ball flight and starting path now!

Thanks for your update!

Comment

Interesting observations/results by Joe. When he first reported his issues, I also began testing various scenarios that may correct the problem. I tested with the sensor aligned in multiple ways: with the clubface, slight left, slight right, etc. I saw no difference in my the ball flight results. The results made complete sense to me. Seems it should be easy enough (from a software perspective) to take the baseline information when the clubface is being held motionless before the swing (with the face straight with the intended aimpoint) and then compare that to the results during the swing and at impact. This should give you all the information you need to calculate the results (assuming a perfect strike).

Makes me wonder if some of the sensor have a "flaw".

Comment

• Burtgolf
                        Burtgolf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Chuck are you saying your not using the left and/or right arrows to move your starting line/aiming line?

• Chuck
                        Chuck commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No. I usually don't need to use the arrows if it's a semi-flat putt. If it's on a hill and the line bends too much, then I'll reach over and use the keyboard. You can use the same technique on a real green and with practice get reasonably good (to the horror of your putting coach :-).

• Chuck
                        Chuck commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just to add to this; you can think of it as forcing a fade or a draw but with your putter (after you have zeroed out and homed the coordinate system of the R-motion).

Hi, I'm using the phone app ( driving range ) the distance is way off. It doesn't work if I change the distance Sensor to the floor. It's about 50 yards off. I used it on the driving range so I could compare the real distance to the app distance. Any idea what I can do?
                      ( the motion sensor died also, but they will send me a replacement ).

Comment

• Burtgolf
                        Burtgolf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have never used it to verify distance as the R-Motion does not measure distance. Distance is only predicted based off of what your swing did. It does not know how well or how horrible your ball contact was (I don't know if it can take the amount of vibration during impact to determine the quality of impact but I know I have hit some bad shots and it seems to know something went wrong and will show in some of the results.. I am pretty sure it knows when you have hit it fat due to the sudden reduction in club head speed then contact). R-Motion measures your club path, face angle, angle of attack and club head speed. I found that these things it is measuring is pretty accurate when comparing it to others that measure this things. For example I use an era 2005 SwingMate radar based swing speed monitor and they are pretty much always within +/- 2 mph of each other with most times measuring the same numbers. The SwingMate also guesses the ball distance so again I do not take that into account.

Originally posted by Hxxs61 View Post
                      Hi, I'm using the phone app ( driving range ) the distance is way off. It doesn't work if I change the distance Sensor to the floor. It's about 50 yards off. I used it on the driving range so I could compare the real distance to the app distance. Any idea what I can do?
                      ( the motion sensor died also, but they will send me a replacement ).
                      More then a little concerned by the amount of people with broken sensors. I'm still waiting for my replacement to come.

In regards to the initial distance variance, have you adjusted the club settings in regards to the height of the sensor and the loft of the club?

If those are both entered correctly then I might look at what kind of contact you're making with the ball using impact tape or foot spray? The r-motion can't account for the quality of the face contact, so if you're catching it a little thinner, it may be off?

What kind of club is the 50-yard difference on? Are you at elevation as well?

Comment

Working...
                      X