Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Chip Correction=ON or OFF...That is the question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Chip Correction=ON or OFF...That is the question?

First I am using a Skytrak and TGC. As I understand things, turning short chip correction "on" gives you less miss-reads but you lose realistic spin around the green.
    Last night I experimented by turning it off so I could see what chipping was like. Overall, I liked it. I did have more miss-reads (and by miss-reads I mean a few that seemed off target but mostly that Skytrak did not see my shot). I am wondering how many of you have this option "on" and how many of you have it "off". I know it has been discussed before, just wanted to rekindle the experiences of the players and developers. BSCampbell wbond shank12u dg_1983 mthunt what settings are you guys using? SkyTrak_Seth what do you recommend?

I use the default settings but have been experimenting with the 0HA for putting. I use a GC2 so there's no need for chip correction.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

I would not play without it being on. I miss a lot of greens where I would be less than 10 yards and without it being on, it would fail to read the soft chips and it would really annoy me. Then you would be left trying to hit it hard enough to register but not go too long. It's really a trade off on what you prefer. With it on, it would always read for me, but with the reduced spin, the place that it really hurts is the short sided shots, which i seem to do quite frequently. It is tough on those shots because of the rollout.

Comment

I liked the extra spin...but in tournaments it's to frustrating and inconsistent to have turned off. just my opinion

Comment

• rjd1975
          rjd1975 commented
          Editing a comment
          By inconsistent, do you mean in how often it would read a shot...or in how accurate it was reading the shot? Thanks

Backspin was much more acceptable and realistic compared to the basic 2000ish it would give ya with the correction ON....but the target line was very inconsistent because SkyTrak has a weakness reading Horizontal Angle. So chipping in with the Correction ON is more likely....but flop shots biting hard and sticking closer to the hole when you are short sides is more likely with the Correction OFF
        IF my memory serves me correctly.

Comment

I have it turned OFF currently but played the first year or so with it ON.

I have lately come to realize that 90% of my bogey holes are due to SkyTrak getting my chip shot spins incorrect when I am short side of the hole. I can hit 5 chips in a row all that feel exactly the same and SkyTrak/TGC is going to decide they were completely different. Some will have 4K spin and stop pretty quick and some will have <1K spin and roll 10 yards.

I wish I had the magic formula to tell you but in my opinion SkyTrak is garbage for chipping < 15 yards... it basically puts me out of contention in every single tournament. Once in a while it really makes me angry and I will rewind it but then I have to worry about folks getting mad I am rewinding shots. Chipping with SkyTrak is a lose/lose situation.

If this is ever resolved my handicap would probably drop 5-6 shots overnight.

Comment

I've only had TGC for a week but strongly prefer it being OFF. I only get no-reads under ~8 yards.

Comment

Where is the setting and I'll check? I don't think I was aware of it as an option so suspect I have the default.

Don't know if it is related but talking of spin rates etc on short chips I find that I play a bump and run shot way more often than I would irl. I get more consistent results.

Assuming my default setting would cause low spin? I've adjusted to alot more role out than I'd expect irl for SIM play

Comment

Hmmm... I used to have the skytrak and now I have the GC2 but I think I never changed the setting to off. I assume I should now, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Jwheels9876 View Post
                  Hmmm... I used to have the skytrak and now I have the GC2 but I think I never changed the setting to off. I assume I should now, correct?
                  Personal preference. As you can see, there's a mixed set of preferences.

Short Chip Correction = OFF
                  • Chips / wedge shots (under 20 yards?) will have closer to actual backspin
                  • Pros: Shots will bite from the spin on the ball (vs. just rolling out like a bump and run)
                  • Cons: More no-reads. You'll have to potentially take more swings and/or swing a bit harder than you normally would IRL to register the shot
                  Short Chip Correction = ON
                  • Chips / wedge shots will have low backspin
                  • Pros: Short chips will mostly / all register
                  • Cons: Spin will be lower than what you see IRL. You'll need to account for the bump and run / roll-out.
                  Choose whichever gives you a closer simulation of your game and/or is ultimately more enjoyable for you.

Comment

• caldiver
                    caldiver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah - sorry I totally read over that. In that case, I don't know if there even is an equivalent setting for GC2. The setting is part of the "SkyTrak TGC Settings" config file on your computer, not in one of the menus in the game.

• Jwheels9876
                    Jwheels9876 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, ok, thanks. I thought it was just in the general settings with the green speed and stuff. Guess I don't have to worry about it then.

• Rockstar1974
                    Rockstar1974 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One hundred percent agree with these Pros/Cons for skytrak.

With chip correction on chips and pitches roll a long ways, and with it off you get tons of no reads with chips that are 10 yds or less. It can be very frustrating when you have a 6 yd chip and you can get it to read, so you end up having to hit 12-14 yds.
                Working...
                X