• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC 2019 Alpha Testing

Alpha testers please sign-up here: https://tgcsim.com/alphatesting/

This is a good idea.

Originally posted by FaultyClubs View Post
    Maybe (when final decisions are made) Protee should create a donation box for anyone who thinks they were treated more than fairly and would like to contribute something back....

Comment

That IS a good idea. I agree, too, that in my short time in the TGC community I've been impressed with the company's commitment to it's users/buyers/supporters. Did you notice that in the list of those who get the free upgrade, they include a chance for people who are active forum members and/or TGC tour players? How cool is THAT?!?!! A company that recognises not just the almighty $$, but also the value of regular supporters/contributors. Very cool. Very.

Comment

• keither5150
        keither5150 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is correct Sir! Even if you live in a van down by the river, you can afford a free upgrade..... Here's hoping.

• gnomike
        gnomike commented
        Editing a comment
        keither5150 You built a simulator in the back of your van? SO cool!! Shanks must be wicked exciting!

@Protee, will those that pre-order be granted alpha/beta access?

Comment

• ProTee United
        ProTee United commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes sir. Pre-orders will get beta access.

I applied for the free upgrade and really not sure if I qualify. I purchased - The Golf Club Game - Full Version One Time Purchase ($895.00) on 11/27/16. I thought I was purchasing a lifetime license with upgrades.

Am I covered for the free upgrade?

Comment

• Genghis
        Genghis commented
        Editing a comment
        I did the same thing at the same time. There was a discussion about update vs upgrade where the nuances were spelled out. The lifetime version of TGC included lifetime updates to the software. TGC 2019 is an upgraded version of the game, essentially a new product from the TGC that you and I bought at the end of 2016. While they have duty to support TGC purchasers with updates to that game, they don't "owe" us an upgrade to a new game, TGC 2019. What they have done in good faith is provide a path for certain individuals to obtain a free upgrade to TGC 2019, which is spelled out on the upgrade page.

Short answer is that we will have to wait and see since we don't know what their criteria is for those that actively participate on this site or in the tournaments. I'm sure that they will provide enough time so that those that aren't upgraded can purchase the discounted upgrade product prior to the release of TGC 2019.

I appreciate the response. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
        This is a good idea.

I’d be willing to donate a few bucks....

Comment

Yeah, me too

Comment

I really hope I qualify for the free upgrade as I can't really afford a new simulator package for another year or so. If not, I'll still have the original TGC. Maybe I can do better on the tour then! LOL

Comment

• penrose
              penrose commented
              Editing a comment
              perhaps I should keep my this to my self but 1000 bucks is working 2 days a week for about 2 months as a server a restaurant. Now 100,000 well different story

• Lgnir
              Lgnir commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, when you have a family, a mortgage, medical expenses, and other bills, you have to plan accordingly for a big "fun" purchase.

This is extremely exciting news. I have been waiting for this since I set up my sim in September 2016. I like many purchased a lifetime license under the understanding that I wouldn't have to pay for the upgrade (I also thought the upgrade was going to be TGC 2 but that is besides the point). I'm really in the same situation as @Griffinto and Genghis and I'm sure many others.

After reading all 98 comments posted in this thread so far I am surprised that no one asked what i think is an important question. If we apply for the free upgrade and don't get it (because we don't play enough tournaments or we aren't active posters even though we frequent the forums) then do we have to pay full price or can we then get at a minimum the pre-order discount?

@ProTee United Will decisions on the free upgrade be made prior to the closing of the pre-order discount?

Comment

• Griffinto
              Griffinto commented
              Editing a comment
              I was also thinking about the preorder discount closing before we are notified. My decision process for buying the lifetime license back in 2016 was very similar with the talks of TGC2 being released and we would be upgraded to the new version.

• riewerts
              riewerts commented
              Editing a comment
              Great question

• I purchased "The Golf Club Game" full version a one time purchase for $1,000.00 + a $200.00 license fee on 08/05/2016. I thought I was purchasing a lifetime license with free upgrades and updates included the reason for the high price, and was told that was the case when I asked about the new version being talked about at the time. I now have also applied for the free upgrade offered by ProTee and am not sure if I qualify or not, I am active on the form as much as I can be and do not play because due to circumstances beyond my control I have lost the use of my sims room which I do hope to have back up soon, I have it 95% cleared out. I know it wasn't ProTee that made the sales pitch that got me to buy TGC, nor did they know what I was told when I bought it, so I don't fault ProTee, I just hope that I can find out for sure if I do qualify or not so I can know whether I should at lest try to pre-order TGC 2019 or not.

Comment

• I think this is the best way to explain it that may be helpful from what I understand of the licensing. When they say lifetime license, it means they will upgrade that current version and support it as long as you own it. The confusion comes in with what is considered an “upgrade”. For example, if you purchased Windows 95 and Microsoft says you have a lifetime license and upgrades, they mean they will fix bugs and push those fixes to you forever. It means if you call in because you are having problems, they will help you. They won’t say “sorry we don’t support that version anymore”. They may say that to the individual who DID NOT pay the lifetime fee. Also, buying a lifetime license for Windows 95, doesn’t mean that Microsoft is going to give you a free upgrade to Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc.

So let’s fast forward to the caveat they put in place. What they did say was anyone who bought TGC in the SAME YEAR that they release TGC 2019, that they would upgrade them to the new version free of cost. The reason for that was the same as how Microsoft has done it in the past. You ever order a new computer and they tell you “free upgrade to the next version of Microsoft”? That’s because they don’t want people who are ready to buy a new computer today, to delay buying it because they know Microsoft is releasing a new operating system any day now.

In summary, just because I bought a lifetime license of Microsoft Windows 7 three years ago does not make Microsoft feel they need to let me download Windows 10 for free today. It means that as long as I own Windows 7, they will push out bug fixes, patches and upgrades to Windows 7 and if I ever call in with a problem they will help me.

I hope this helps explain their thought process a little better. I am not saying that I agree or disagree. They may make exceptions to the rule but I think this is how they are looking at it. Bottomline is if you paid a lifetime license in 2018, I think they will upgrade you for free because they said they would and that was the year TGC2019 was expected to come out. That is how I understand it.

Comment

• keither5150
                keither5150 commented
                Editing a comment
                ProTee has also mentioned that active tour players and forum contributors will also be considered for a free upgrade to TGC2019.

This from the site.

If you purchased TGC before January 1, 2018 you can request a free upgrade if you are:
                - an active 2018 Golf Simulator Forum contributor.
                - an active 2018 TGC Simulator Tour player.
                The free upgrade for active 2018 Golf Simulator Forum contributors and 2018 TGC for Simulators Tour Players will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and at our sole discretion.

So hopefully this means that everyone on this thread will be considered. Maybe try to play a round on the Tour.

Oh....and well said Lamar.

• Awesome News! Just signed up for the Alpha and Free Upgrade. Looking forward to TGC2019!

Comment

• I am so excited about this. Should be a lot of fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamar Young View Post
                  I think this is the best way to explain it that may be helpful from what I understand of the licensing. When they say lifetime license, it means they will upgrade that current version and support it as long as you own it. The confusion comes in with what is considered an “upgrade”. For example, if you purchased Windows 95 and Microsoft says you have a lifetime license and upgrades, they mean they will fix bugs and push those fixes to you forever. It means if you call in because you are having problems, they will help you. They won’t say “sorry we don’t support that version anymore”. They may say that to the individual who DID NOT pay the lifetime fee. Also, buying a lifetime license for Windows 95, doesn’t mean that Microsoft is going to give you a free upgrade to Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc.

So let’s fast forward to the caveat they put in place. What they did say was anyone who bought TGC in the SAME YEAR that they release TGC 2019, that they would upgrade them to the new version free of cost. The reason for that was the same as how Microsoft has done it in the past. You ever order a new computer and they tell you “free upgrade to the next version of Microsoft”? That’s because they don’t want people who are ready to buy a new computer today, to delay buying it because they know Microsoft is releasing a new operating system any day now.

In summary, just because I bought a lifetime license of Microsoft Windows 7 three years ago does not make Microsoft feel they need to let me download Windows 10 for free today. It means that as long as I own Windows 7, they will push out bug fixes, patches and upgrades to Windows 7 and if I ever call in with a problem they will help me.

I hope this helps explain their thought process a little better. I am not saying that I agree or disagree. They may make exceptions to the rule but I think this is how they are looking at it. Bottomline is if you paid a lifetime license in 2018, I think they will upgrade you for free because they said they would and that was the year TGC2019 was expected to come out. That is how I understand it.
                  then why did i have Microsoft windows 7 and they pushed a windows 10 upgrade for free? just saying.

Comment

• mikeingp
                    mikeingp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Because Microsoft wanted early beta testers for Win 10. Can’t upgrade from 7 to 10 today for free (legally).

• I also uprgraded from win7 to win10 free of charge

Comment

Working...
                  X