Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will TGC be sunset for tournament play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will TGC be sunset for tournament play?

My hope is that all of the forum members / tournament players using TGC qualify for the upgrade to TGC 2019 (myself included). I realize you are just now in alpha testing so this may be premature but will you be sunsetting TGC for tournament play? It seems like a lot of effort to have two separate tournaments. Will TGC users be able to compete against TGC 2019 users or will there be some hard cutoff where you have to switch over?

I'd also be interested in knowing how they are going to handle the multiple tee boxes...

One of the features that I had asked for way back has prevented my father from playing in the tour (now 77 years young) is that he couldn't keep up on the longer courses when having to hit from the back tees...

Comment

Originally posted by Sledge0001 View Post
      I'd also be interested in knowing how they are going to handle the multiple tee boxes...

One of the features that I had asked for way back has prevented my father from playing in the tour (now 77 years young) is that he couldn't keep up on the longer courses when having to hit from the back tees...
      Are you asking for TGC 2019 or the current version of TGC? TGC 2019 has multiple tee boxes. This is confirmed multiple times. I'm in the alpha test group and have seen it.

Or are you asking if multiple tee boxes will also be supported within Tournaments in TGC 2019?

I don't expect any changes to happen for the current version of TGC.

Comment

Originally posted by caldiver View Post

Are you asking for TGC 2019 or the current version of TGC? TGC 2019 has multiple tee boxes. This is confirmed multiple times. I'm in the alpha test group and have seen it.

Or are you asking if multiple tee boxes will also be supported within Tournaments in TGC 2019?

I don't expect any changes to happen for the current version of TGC.

I too would assume that the original TGC is no longer going to be developed.

In TGC2019 I would like to see the tour be more inclusive to seniors and allow them to hit from their appropriate tee boxes on the tour.

Being the incredible son that I am.... I bought the old man a SkyTrak, Projector, mat, screen, pc and Original TGC so that we could play together online. He tried the tour but the courses were just too long for him so he backed out.

But if the upcoming TGC2019 tour is all about fairness and fun I feel that including the senior tees for those senior members is only fair and may broaden the amount of tour members that can participate.

I am doing the TGC2019 download now and can't wait to play against my old man on the same course but allow him the senior tee advantage.

Comment

• Jwheels9876
          Jwheels9876 commented
          Editing a comment
          When you get the new version just set up a Senior tour in a society. You'll probably get some members to join. I'm pretty sure the regular tour is not going to allow people to play from different tee boxes in one event.

• Sledge0001
          Sledge0001 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jwheels9876 The idea would be to allow him to play in the tour but then just grant him the advantage of the senior tees... We played MTHunts Missi course yesterday and he did just fine playing from the white tees and me playing with the blacks... I don't see why they wouldn't allow this if they can confirm the age of a player.

I know the feeling will be 77 the first of April, can still play 6000 yds if have big fairways. I have JNPL golf would have to play from same tees as the young limber backs, so don’t try to play tour. I’am sure not that many old senior players to have a senior tour.

Comment

I think that the tour is large enough that we can start to discuss this. Maybe different divisions or a separate tour. Maybe just flights. Most players would be ok with a senior playing from the whites...… Now Mthunt will have to start checking id's

Comment

• Sledge0001
            Sledge0001 commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the main reasons for me getting TGC was to play rounds with my old man... I'm in Los Angeles while he's in Florida. Nothing better that firing up Skype chatting with him and having a match.

He was interested and did attempt to play in a tour in the past on TGC1 but he simply ran out of oomph as it was an insanely long course… After that I stopped on the tour since we really couldn't play the matches together. I still played head to head matches with him though....

Playing today on TGC2019 in a head to head match was great he played the white tees on a Protee course and was quite happy while I played the back tees.

Tomorrow we will go for a full 18 now that we have both systems fairly dialed in. I will say head to head online matches seem much smoother with TGC2019 and I really hopeful they allow something like on the tour so I can stop playing just head to head with just the old man and also attempt to compete with you other sim players. (I say attempt since I shot a 98 today on that Protee Bear course.......)

• SZ
            SZ commented
            Editing a comment
            Sledge0001 are you and your dad Both alpha testers? Just wondering how you both got advanced copies of tgc2019.

• Sledge0001
            Sledge0001 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. We are both Alpha testers and have been playing head to head. I should also mention that I have tested patches for TGC with SkyTrak in the past and work as an IT Director. I play frequently head to head but with my old man. I used to play on the tour but stopped since I didn't really have time to play 2-3 head to head games and the tour. I have actively reported a few issues / concerns along the way in the TGC Alpha thread.
            Last edited by Sledge0001; 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM.

Fair point about seniors. You then start to get into the who has room to hit driver and woods etc. At present I can just about hit hybrids but use my 2 iron on most tee shots. Whatever really just fun and I understand about seniors. I'm sure that tour events will have to be played from the same tee. Thats what handicaps are for imo. Ps more role on fairways now so that that should help.

Comment

• Sledge0001
            Sledge0001 commented
            Editing a comment
            But handicaps should also account for age and tee box advantage.

Someone set up a senior tour society in TGC 2019 and then you guys can have weekly senior tourneys from the right tees that match your age. If they get the online working correctly, it should work out great.

Comment

• Sledge0001
            Sledge0001 commented
            Editing a comment
            But that defeats the idea of allowing him to compete in the tour against others on the tour. I am not a senior

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah, i undertstand but unless they implement another tour, I think that is the only option. They are not going to let people tee off from different tee sets in the same tournament.

• Sledge0001
            Sledge0001 commented
            Editing a comment
            One can hope

IRL, my course has monthly tournaments. All ages participate. We all get flighted by handicap. We may have players that play the the tips, men’s tees and senior tees in the same flight because of their handicap. In the tourney they play their normal tee boxes. We have several elite players that are in their own flight. These guys are scratch or plus handicap. If we can flight the tournament then all can participate.

Comment

It's probably easier to have flights on the regular tour than create and run a separate senior tour.

Also looking it up online, having seniors compete for the same prize is legal in real golf. The USGA has a description of how to do a two tee tournament properly. Both course and slope rating for the tees in question is needed to calculate the tournament handicap adjustment.

Comment

I can appreciate the logistics for the tournament organizers get harder with multiple tees but I do think it would be awesome if something could be worked out. I'm a ceiling height capped individual that would love to be able to participate in the tour but frankly I'm not interested in playing 400y par 4s all day when I can only hit 5 iron off the tee. I appreciate my handicap will reflect the fact I have a long iron in or can't reach some par 4s but I'm just not going to enjoy it playing that way (currently I have a boosted driver so my 5 iron goes driver distance but this won't fly on tour).

Golf is a game of honesty and integrity so I suspect if there was guidelines for each tournament such as if you drive it x yards on a good day play white, if you drive y yards play blues, etc people would abide by it (I may be reaching on how handicaps will work in game but if different ratings exist by tee the handicap system will then clean up some of the noise as well). I also saw a prior post suggesting organizers do spot checks on data to see how many rewinds people take so it wouldn't be super hard if someone ranks highly in the tournament to see what their longest drive was relative to the tees they chose and DQ them if there is a clear violation.

I haven't played on the tour so I may be underestimating how serious people take the competition but I'd like to get involved to connect with the community and don't care all that much about winning (I do want to play a proper round of golf though not playing par 4s as 5s). I'm sure if people want to cheat in the current setup there must be ways to do so. Right now I'm limited to trying to play tour in summer months if I can fit it in (I live in a rainy climate with an indoor setup of 8 foot ceilings) when I can occasionally move my entire setup outside in the back yard (in which case I'll probably be on the real course).

Comment

Working...
              X