Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Wes B45 (NET) and @Chris Knoop (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - Genesis Open with 2 rounds at Riviera Country Club White Tees : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...r-genesis-open
See more
See less

Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussWest44 View Post
    This is awesome. Small problem, not sure how to use it. Idk if I’m missing something. I’ve messed around with python before but this confuses me haha
    Yea, I thought it would be a good experiment being that I just started teaching myself python. Is it entirely GUI-less right now? I was able to run the "tgc_tools" in IDLE. From reading a lot of the code it looks like you have to manually edit the scripts to work with your course. But I'm lost after that.

Comment

• ChadGolf
      ChadGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      You're probably missing a lot of the pip dependencies. I just finished the first attempt at the user interface late last night. When did you do a Git checkout?

To get the dependencies, if you're on Python 3.7 (I'm on 3.7.2):
      run pythom -m pip install -r requirements.txt

Then things should be able to run. I don't use IDLE but you can also start the user interface by running python tgc_gui.py

I'll probably have the first Windows executable out later today if everything goes well.

Yea, that sounds right. I'll wait. Thanks though this is so cool!

Comment

I may not be able to edit the original post, but there's a new Homepage with links to the WINDOWS DOWNLOAD and the first tutorial available here:
      https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/

I've done my best to get things working and stable, but I'll respond to any issues that come up as soon as I can. Let's see what the first brave souls experience.

Comment

I believe now I have pretty much everything except trees being taken care of automagically with the tool. The cartpath was a nice addition with the latest checkin.

Fairways still give me a bit of trouble. I haven't figured out the magic # and distance of splines so I don't get the short sin wave looking fairways. I like like gentle waves in my fairway.

Comment

• ChadGolf
          ChadGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          You’re amazing! Thank you for being the canary for this project. One day I hope we can do trees, they are easy to find in the lidar data, but they are very hard to add to the game efficiently.

Check out the spline handles and tight splines options in the code to see if you can get the fairway look you like: https://github.com/chadrockey/TGC-De...ster/OSMTGC.py

If you can design one by hand, take a screenshot of the splines and spline handles and add it as a Github issue, I’ll look into duplicating that technique.

• frodaddy00
          frodaddy00 commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem! I have made a few local changes to my liking by switching the defaults for secondary grass and width. I'm thinking long term these could be config items as well.

Time to play with fairways a bit more.

One question.. do you know what the TGC software is actually doing when you select a spline pathway such as afairway and do the "smooth pathway" or whatever it is called? Most of the time this has a net positive result on the layouts so I"m also wondering if the tool can do that ahead of time if selected.

• ChadGolf
          ChadGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          The spline handles are still slight black magic, but essentially they have distances and angles. When you smooth the spline, the handles get longer. I did something similar for cartpaths, look at the handles for those.

The main problems are bunkers, they just don't do tight shapes and correct shapes without weird tricks on the splines and a lot of points right now. At some point when more examples come in, I am hoping to do a "verification pass" and make sure that shapes, secondary surfaces, and sizes of splines are what we want.

I like the sound of this music! This will change the game literally.. Months instead of years for good 2019 courses.

Comment

• RussWest44
          RussWest44 commented
          Editing a comment
          not even months, I already had the country club brookline outlined entirely. Wont take more than a few days for me to finish.

So I rushed through the process to see if it works, indeed it does. I have to combine 2 lidar sets becuase its split on my course but the results are actually much more impressive than I thought!

Comment

• frodaddy00
          frodaddy00 commented
          Editing a comment
          You can almost certainly expect to need multiple lidar files. My course spanned across 6 lidar files. The good news is you just dump them all in a single directory and the tool processes all of them without a problem.

• ChadGolf
          ChadGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          @RussWest, you have lidar data that hasn’t been classified for Ground Plane. The spikes should not be there. In this case, I need to write up rules or add the ability in the tool to run the industry programs that classify points as ground vs trees. Could you post or PM me your source for lidar data?

Here are a few screen shots from my home course in progress. I edited the course info on OpenStreetMaps and imported the lidar data using this tool. This is what it looks like now.. basically everything but trees and touching up. I have yet to make a single change in the game editor with these screenshots.

Comment

• ChadGolf
          ChadGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! It's very cool to see courses come together without me doing anything for them.

The TGC 2019 requirement is that figuring out the quirks of one TGC game is difficult, but I can't try to do two at once, especially one that I am not likely to use much into the future.

Lidar data usually comes from your government, I'm sure we will piece together resources on where to find it over time.

And this is one of the most elevation changing courses I've ever seen! I especially like the stair-stepped teeboxes on that one par 3, they really translate well.

• RussWest44
          RussWest44 commented
          Editing a comment
          what course is that? cant wait to play! This tool does an amazing job on green sculpting I was worried about it.

• frodaddy00
          frodaddy00 commented
          Editing a comment
          The course is Smoke Rise Country Club in Atlanta, GA.

You mentioned green sculpting. Yes it recreates the greens beautifully with nearly all of the bumps etc. My only concern with a few quick playtests are that TGC is more picky on sloped greens than real life.. meaning that a few holes had the red slope lines on the green and the ball reacted more harshly than I'm used to.

It looks like Chad worked on a "flatten/smooth green" feature that may have to be used to cut out some of the break.. Just my initial thought but won't know until I'm ready to do much more testing.

Followup on my last comment. You essentially switch the course layout work from TGC course designer itself and instead use the editor in OpenStreetMaps (OSM). I believe you will find OSM editing much easier and faster than the in-game editor. The more detail you add to OSM the more finished your course will look when you open it in game.

Here is a screenshot showing a lot of details I put into the course in OSM. Hope that helps.

Comment

• ChadGolf
          ChadGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Genghis TGC itself controls the overwriting order. Draw what you need on OpenStreetMap and trust that it'll render okay in the game. I tried to get them to render this better online, but their project moves slowly and I couldn't push it through quickly.

Roughly the order I believe is:
          Rough (rough is least important)
          Fairway
          Teebox/Green
          Cartpath
          Bunker (bunker should overwrite everything)

Trees are not currently imported from any source. I don't know of an efficient way to add that many trees. Might work on in the future.

• Genghis
          Genghis commented
          Editing a comment
          ChadGolf Thanks! After we are done in OSM, do we just export what we did?

Great stuff here... one of the best things brought to this community! BZ!

• ChadGolf
          ChadGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          For better or worse I use the geospatial metadata in the lidar files and automatically find, import, and project the OpenStreetMap data for you. OpenStreetMap export is on the feature list, but it's pretty far down and should really only be used for courses where lidar doesn't exist.

https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/...b00f54eb371b92

Here is one of the lidar samples

Comment

I actually plan on using the points to create the correct heights for some trees btw!

Comment

• ChadGolf
            ChadGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            That's in the plans for the longer term. The two easiest things to determine from lidar are tree heights/coverage and ground coverage. The laser shoots through the trees and sees the trees and what's below them. There's no spline for trees though.

The designer community can't thank you enough! Will happily make a nice donation to you this summer when I'm not in classes and working

Comment

How accurate is the greens data for slopes. I am creating a greens book for local course from google maps/earth. But then will individually physically have to grid the greens and use break master to determine slopes, will Lidar give me anything near the slopes of greens to work with.

Comment

• RussWest44
              RussWest44 commented
              Editing a comment
              In my experience, yes.

Thought this was an interesting side-by-side to share. When I first started creating my home course manually I decided I'd go and take a bunch of photos because I knew getting the elevation was going to be tedious.

Here is hole 14 in game using the spiffy new tool vs. a photo from a month or so ago.

Comment

• StanMI
              StanMI commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats a darn nice looking course ! What mountain is that in the background and do all puts break away from it ?

• frodaddy00
              frodaddy00 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is Stone Mountain. Most putts break towards it! (gravity??)
              Last edited by frodaddy00; 02-11-2019, 10:41 PM.

• BGCurtis2nd
              BGCurtis2nd commented
              Editing a comment
              Only programming I was every any good at was Q basic, needless to say now a dead language. But looking at what you are doing here has me wanting to play around with it and see what I can come up with. So far I haven't been able to find any Lidar data on any of the courses I play but I did come up with it for a course next to my brother-in-law's place in Virginia. Figured I could try starting with it and see how well it turns out, so I went ahead and got the TGC 2019 off steam to try and play with while waiting on it to come out for the sims. From the pictures you posted it looks like this program can do a pretty good job.

I'm having to re-spline everything but it looks great! I wonder why it the lidar shows only some trees, and the maintenance shed?

Comment

• ChadGolf
              ChadGolf commented
              Editing a comment
              Is there any specific reason the splines are failing you? Did your course already exist in OpenStreetMap? Personal preference?

• RussWest44
              RussWest44 commented
              Editing a comment
              http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/inde...html#msg334360

I probably should have mentioned, I had started out tracing everything by making the game window transparent and lining everything in the game up to google earth. And it is an imperfect process to align all splines 100% perfectly so there were a lot that were like 5-10 yards away from where they really should be. Luckily I didn't use splines for the bunkers because I can just select them one by one and move them in to their intended spots!

The level of detail I use for bunker shapes is only possible with brushes, or I'd go back and do the OSM method.

RussWest44 I found the issue. It's a bug on my end and it's new to me but is a pretty easy fix.

I've never seen lidar data use 0 = unclassified and also use 1 = unclassified. Yours does do both, so I think whatever they used to classify, they didn't run it over points where there was overlap in scans. This creates some weird banding and there are vertical "strips" of data that isn't ground. I'll patch this out and you have the option of regenerating your this weekend or so when I do a new Windows release.

Look at the weird "grey stripes" in the raw visualization. Thanks for finding this bug for me. The Last photo is "clean ground" and what I consider a good starting point.

Comment

• RussWest44
              RussWest44 commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad I could help!

• Genghis
              Genghis commented
              Editing a comment
              ChadGolf Will your next patch address the lidar "bumps" that RussWest originally posted? I just rendered my first course and it had many bumps where trees would be. I'm not sure if my lidar data is behaving like RussWest's. If that is the case, I'll wait until the patch comes out to try it again. Thanks!

• ChadGolf
              ChadGolf commented
              Editing a comment
              Genghis yes, it will address this. If you want to be sure, please post one of your lidar sources and I’ll confirm before release.
          Working...
          X