Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Todd Morgan (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - The RSM Classic !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - Mayakoba Golf Classic. We are playing 2 rounds at Quarry Ridge Protee Pin 1: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...a-golf-classic
See more
See less

Does Club Selection Affect Anything When Using TGC 2019 with a Golf Simulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Club Selection Affect Anything When Using TGC 2019 with a Golf Simulator?

I've played a lot of golf video games on consoles, so the club selection function is very familiar.

My question is... when you use TGC with a simulator like Uneekor EYE XO (which I just setup) do you actually have to select what club you're hitting or does it 100% use the ball flight data?

If I hit driver with the club selected as PW, will it screw something up?

club selection is meaningless

Comment

Club selection has no impact on the result of the shot. The launch monitor simply captures what the ball is doing in flight and transmits the data. Same goes for shot selection -- normal, pitch, chip, putt (although I think putt has to be on when putting from off the green?)

The area where it does make a difference though is with club recommendations. The game learns your distances based on the shots that you hit with certain clubs selected. It then uses those shots to make club recommendations for you. If you change the club each time to the one that you're actually using, the game's club recommendations will get more dialed in for you. I don't do it, so the club recommendations they give me are not always the clubs I choose to hit (because I don't let the game know what club I'm hitting).

Also, changing the club is important if you care about stat tracking. Every shot you hit is archived and you can go back and see the data for a particular 7-iron that you hit or a particular 3-wood from any round. So if you really care about getting really granular about data then you may want to do the club selection thing. My guess is that most people don't bother with the club selection but I'm sure there are some that do for these reasons.

Comment

For club selection the only thing that effects anything (unless settings are adjusted in GSX or another interface) is putter. It reduces spins and stuff for putting
        My Courses:
        Weston G&CC by mthunt RCR
        London Hunt Club L mthunt RCR
        Park CC Lidar mthunt RCR
        Sunningdale GC Robinson L RCR
        Sunningdale GC Thompson L RCR
        Twin Peaks Desert Fictional
        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR) RCR
        The Sanctuary GC ProTee L RCR
        National GC of Canada RCR
        Mississaugua G&CC mthunt RCR
        Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range Fictional
        The Meadows 5047 mthunt Fictional

Comment

When did this become a feature in the sim version? I have never heard or seen this mentioned before. As i understood, they are preset distances that cannot be changed and don't change.
          Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post

The area where it does make a difference though is with club recommendations. The game learns your distances based on the shots that you hit with certain clubs selected. It then uses those shots to make club recommendations for you. If you change the club each time to the one that you're actually using, the game's club recommendations will get more dialed in for you. I don't do it, so the club recommendations they give me are not always the clubs I choose to hit (because I don't let the game know what club I'm hitting).

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
            When did this become a feature in the sim version? I have never heard or seen this mentioned before. As i understood, they are preset distances that cannot be changed and don't change.

Hmmm .... perhaps I was wrong. I thought I had read somewhere (here or elsewhere) that this was how it worked. So if you had it set on 8-iron and hit a shot, the game archived the data from that shot and applied it to your 8-iron distance. So then each time you hit a shot with 8-iron selected it would calculate that into your 8-iron average and then use those to make the club recommendations.

I could be totally wrong. I thought I recalled reading somewhere about it working that way. So what you are saying is that every single player gets the exact same club recommendations for each distance?

Comment

• wbond
              wbond commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, from what I’ve seen thus far, the yardages are the same for everyone. Probably need protee to confirm this. It would be a neat feature if that was the case.

• mthunt
              mthunt commented
              Editing a comment
              I've never heard of this.

• 3on3putt
              3on3putt commented
              Editing a comment
              I am likely wrong. Could have sworn I read about that when I was first getting TGC2019 and was reading up on it. Considering they already archive all of the shot data, it seems like it would be pretty easy to incorporate this. (That being said, I wasn't even using it when I thought that it worked that way anyway, so I'm not complaining).

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I’ll move on to obsessing over another nuance of the sim now 😂

Comment

Hi Guys,

on the other hand, from the tests I have done I am convinced that instead they affect how the selections between normal, chip punch etc. also affect.
              In any case, how can I do if I want to reset these memorized measurements?

Bye
              Speed Master

Comment

So I'll add one monkey wrench into this. Where it actually does matter what club you select is if you use any boost settings. If for example you boost your Driver and Woods 5% and you end up having an iron selected for a tee shot with a wood or iron, you will not get that 5% boost.

This actually did impact me in sim play so I decided to turn off boost completely. Whether or not the performance change was entirely in my head is not known, but not having to worry about selecting clubs (unless putting from the fringe) is much better for my game.

Comment

Working...
                X