This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum TGC computer requirements that runs great

I've commented randomly in various posts on this subject but thought it would be worthwhile to collect the main info in one thread. I'll cover the key pieces that often get spec'd and if anyone has more info please post as well.

1) CPU

Most people spec an i7, and a top of the line one at that. But IMO that is way overkill with no visible benefit.

I use the slowest Skylake i5 (2.7ghz) and it only consume about 50% when running at 60 fps. There is lots of excess capacity.

My bottom of the line i5 may not even be the lower limit. I don't think anyone has tested an i3 with the proper graphics card (970 or 1060 or above). That would be an interesting test. Personally I'd guess it will run but not with enough margin to be comfortable in real life...but I could easily be wrong. It may be suitable (or not) for people on an absolute shoestring budget but until the test is done we'll never know.

2) Memory

Most people spec 16gb or 32 gb and sometimes more. But that also is way overkill with no visible benefit.

TGC memory usage is around 1.3Gb. Add in Windows 7 usage and the total computer still never uses 4 Gb.

I use 8 Gb and only because 4 Gb wasn't available/cheaper. 8 Gb never all gets used.

3) Power Supply

Most people spec 600, 750 watt or higher power supplies. This again is vast overkill with no benefit.

My fully loaded system when running TGC flat out with a 970 draws less than 200 watts.

A 1060 draws even less power than the 970.

So a 500 watt supply is plenty. It already has more than 100% margin.

4) Cooling (Case and CPU)

A lot of people buy extra fans, some even have conductive cooling. But given a decent case this adds nil value.

I have the stock Intel CPU fan that came with the i5 and the stock fan that came with my case and all my temperatures are solidly in the golden zone for longevity.

I'll post the actual temps later as I don't recall them off the top of my head. Bottomline, just make sure you have a decent case.

5) Hard Drive

Most people spec an SSD in addition to the SATA drive. I have one but except for faster bootup and loading I'm not sure it has any value in TGC. It probably has value if also recording your rounds with Shadowplay but I'm not sure. If anyone has done the testing to determine if it has a visible benefit then that would be good info.

6) Graphics Card

This is the important part. Most people used to spec a 970 as running great and being the sweet spot.

I use a 970 and can say it runs great. Good detail and 60 fps. The equivalent card today is the 1060 which is cheaper and uses less power so it is probably the new sweet spot..

I've overclocked my 970 to 980 levels and cranked the detail to max compared to my stock setting of object 4. There was hardly any improvements at all so I went back to stock and my standard setting of detail 4. This suggests to me that a 1070 would add something (mostly in slightly smoother play on a few really demanding courses) but the value for money is low. Go for it if you have unlimited budget, otherwise the 1060 is almost the same and much cheaper.

7) Laptop versus desktop

A lot of people buy laptops for the convenience. Laptops are generally less reliable, harder to fix/upgrade and certainly more expensive. So personally I wouldn't do it unless I had a real need. You could probably buy a decent desktop that runs TGC great and a decent laptop for general use for the same money. Or better yet buy a TGC desktop as per above and, with the saving, get TGC software for free!!

8) What specs to up scale if you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket?

Assuming you have a modern i5 or better, then probably the only thing that provides a tangible return on your extra $$ would be the graphics card. Just keep up-spec'ing that until your money runs out! LOL

If you don't sleep well with a bottom of the line i5 then maybe up-spec that a little. It might speed up shot to show times for systems using the CPU to process the launch data but the improvement is probably small. Most of the benefit will be in your sleep, not in TGC but sleep is important too! LOL

Conclusion:

My general conclusion is that nowadays TGC only needs a mid-range computer (modern i5 and up) to run top notch with good margin. The key is a decent graphics card. And even that is becoming middle of the road since a 1060 runs great compared to the higher cost cards like a 1070/1080.

So...save your money and get TGC for free!

Ran TGC for the first time last night thanks to aeroburner, looked amazing and ran effortlessly. Was worried because I had an older graphics card, but it looks phenomenal. Needs a few tweaks, but overall I'm impressed with how smooth it ran.

Comment

• FaultyClubs
      FaultyClubs commented
      Editing a comment
      What fps and settings are you using/getting?

Adding basic objective info like that helps make the thread useful to others. Especially when someone is exploring the boundaries of the minimum requirements that can be made to run half decent.

I have some gift cards from Best Buy so I am thinking about getting this machine (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertro...?skuId=5642114). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comment

• dvillicana
      dvillicana commented
      Editing a comment
      How did this machine work for you?

• Cubsmjy
      Cubsmjy commented
      Editing a comment
      I ordered it but its taking a while to arrive. I let you know when I get it up and running.

• Cubsmjy
      Cubsmjy commented
      Editing a comment
      So I ordered the Cybertron PC but when it arrived the video card was flopping around inside the tower. So I took it back to Best Buy and after a long conversation with Geek Squad and an inconvenience discount and came home with this computer and it is working great. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-g11...8exRoCQh7w_wcB

I ordered it but its taking a while to arrive. I let you know when I get it up and running.

Comment

Anybody on the forum have experience (or knowledge) if GeForce NOW (http://www.geforce.com/geforce-now) can be used to run TGC, JNPG and even latest TruGolf E6 demo using any laptop or computer (including Macs)? Or ProTee United might know the answer regarding use on TGC? Thanks.

Comment

Hi folks my laptop is MSI I7 processor SSD with graphics card GEFORCE GTX1060 running TGC which is impressive graphics ,not cheap but I have this only for my golf simulator
        I would recommended this laptop to anyone

Comment

Would it run on Surface Pro 4 with Iris 540 graphics card? It's obviously better than an integrated HD card (some games are actually playable so to say) but I am still wondering if I would need GTX cards.

I mean I have a desktop too (GTX680 which I think should be plenty for 1080p) but I wanted to run on my laptop too should I need to take it outside (i.e. indoor ranges, backyard etc.)

Comment

• ProTee United
            ProTee United commented
            Editing a comment
            We have it running on a Surface Pro 4. You will need to tweak the quality/performance a bit. Iris cards are no high performance gaming cards.

• LEO MODE
            LEO MODE commented
            Editing a comment
            That's good to hear. I am thinking of upgrading mine to the new 2017 Surface Pro with Iris Pro. I heard it's like twice as better than SP4's Iris, almost equivalent to Surface Book's 940M 2015 dedicated GPU model.

I've read throughout these threads and am close to pulling the trigger on TGC + new laptop. Does a 1060 3 GB suffice or is a 6 gb strongly recommended? I don't know much about computers, eyeing up this one. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

I’d get the 6GB. I can attest to it being great for TGC

Comment

My work has an account with ebuyer in the UK and was allowed to spend £650 on a new laptop so the best spec I could find was this: http://www.ebuyer.com/757793-acer-as...p-nx-gd6ek-009

Just wondering if in any of your opinion it will handle TGC ok?

My actual work doesn't require such a high spec of laptop and have no problem me using at home for personal use so hoping it can handle TGC when I get started, Will be using it with Skytrak when I get up and running.

Here is the spec:

Processor
              • Intel Core i5-7200U 2.50 GHz
              • Turbo boost up to 3.1GHz
              • 3MB Cache

Memory
              • 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
              • Expandable to 32GB
              • 2 x SODIMM slot

Storage
              • 1TB SATA 5400rpm
              • 256GB SSD Serial ATA/600

Optical drive
              • DVD-Writer

Software
              • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Display
              • 39.6 cm (15.6") Active Matrix TFT Colour LCD
              • LED Backlit
              • Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Graphics
              • NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 950M
              • Up to 4 GB

Audio
              • Integrated Speakers

Input Devices
              • Keyboard
              • Touchpad Multi-touch Gesture

Networking
              • Qualcomm Atheros NFA435A
              • IEEE 802.11ac
              • Gigabit Ethernet
              • Bluetooth

Power Supply
              • 6 Cell Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery
              • 90W Adapter
              • Capacity 2800 mAh

Dimensions
              • Height 23 - 28.45 mm
              • Width 381.6 mm
              • Depth 259 mm
              • Weight (Approximate) 2.23 kg

Interfaces
              • HDMI
              • 1 x USB 2.0
              • 2 x USB 3.0
              • 1 x USB 3.1 Type-C
              • SD Card Reader
              • RJ-45
              • Audio Line Out

Comment

• ProTee United
                ProTee United commented
                Editing a comment
                The graphics card is not good enough. Look for a GTX1060/6GB card or better. It will run on the GTX950M but not in high resolution.

I don't have the budget for a laptop with a GTX1060 GC. Is it possible somewhere down the line to have it upgraded? I'm not techy myself so would probably take to someone to do.

I take it the rest of the spec could handle this GC?

Comment

• ProTee United
                ProTee United commented
                Editing a comment
                Laptops can not be upgraded. The GTX950M card with run TGC, but at a very low resolution. Not really recommended.

• turkish
                turkish commented
                Editing a comment
                OK thanks. Might be something I just need to put up with until I can afford to get a more expensive laptop

how about this one?
              https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS...=3LRIKWIIBBU39
              • Amazon's Choice for a gaming laptop
              • 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (Up to 3.8GHz)
              • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
              • 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen IPS display
              • 16GB DDR4 Memory & 256GB SSD
              • Up to 7-hours of battery life

Comment

• Hughesy
                Hughesy commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks pretty sexy!

Hi all, new here and looking for some advice.

I currently own an Optishot2 (purchased about 18 months ago) but I've never been happy with it as it just doesn't reflect my own swing patterns out on the real course at all, no matter hwat adjustments I make and I'm not really prepared to put any more effort into it.

However, I've been looking closely at the R-Motion and I like what I see. Ideally, I would like a Skytrak but that's beyond my budget at present and I really want something I can practice in the garage with over the winter months that is fairly close to accurate with the data it provides and R-Motion seems a good fit, particularly as I think The Gold Club is a pretty neat game.

Now, I have a PC with an i5-2500k processor, 8GB RAM and a Geforce GTX 960 GPU which is more than adequate to run the sim version of The Golf Club. I would rather avoid lugging it backwards and forwards from my office to the garage though so I would like to use my laptop for the R-Motion/Golf Club.

Now here's where I need some advice. Laptop specs are below:
              - Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz)
              - 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY
              - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

So, by my reckoning, that GPU is either close to minimum or quite possibly below spec. It runs the Steam version of The Golf Club 1 absolutely no problem at all and at good frame rates but I'm really not sure how it'll fare with the version bundled with R-Motion. Like I said, I could use my main PC if needed so I could just try the laptop and see what happens, it's not as if the product would be wasted but it makes me hesitate to buy right now.

Any thoughts or experience with a setup like that folks?

Great forum btw, thanks for having me!

Comment

thegreatradish welcome to the forum!

The GTX760M is a lot slower then the minimum recommended card (GTX670). Comparison here:

You can of course give it a try and see how it works. For the "better" experience you might have to buy a trolly to move your "better" PC to and from the garage

Comment

Originally posted by ProTee United View Post
                  thegreatradish welcome to the forum!

The GTX760M is a lot slower then the minimum recommended card (GTX670). Comparison here:

You can of course give it a try and see how it works. For the "better" experience you might have to buy a trolly to move your "better" PC to and from the garage
                  Yeah, pretty stark numbers there. I think it [might] run it but not to a decent level and would probably burn the damn thing out very quickly in any case. I'll have to go away and do some thinking. Such a pity my office ceilings are so low otherwise I could keep it all in the same room and just get my main PC to do the donkey work (btw, the 4GB GTX 960 might seem a bit meh but it handles everything I can throw at it with ease including TGC2 @ 1920x1080 >50 FPS consistently at high settings so I know I can rely on it).

The garage is only 15-20 yards away, but I'm so lazy

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Tons of good information here, but most of it is "Greek" to me. I know enough to really be dangerous.

The last post here was August 11, 2017. I'm sure that all the newer hardware is out by now.

I'm wondering is you some of you Geek Guys could do a little research and recommend some more contemporary laptops/desktops that would be adequate to run ST and TGC for us guys who are in the dark on the lingo/pricing? I'm sure the top of the line units have caused the prices to fall on machines that would be adequate.

Thanks in advance...!

Mekongmike

Comment

Working...
                    X