Streaming TCG from PC to golf simulator room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaming TCG from PC to golf simulator room

Seeing if anyone has done this or knows of a way to do it....

My main computer is in the study and acts as my main gaming rig with 290x in CF. I golf in the garage using skytrak with an older gaming laptop/projector which runs TCG okay in low settings. Seeing how there are streaming gaming devices out there such as Steam Link or Nvidia Shield that allow you to stream games on your PC to a television, has anyone successfully done this with their golf sim?

While I love playing tcg a lot, I can't see myself buying a whole new computer just to sit in the garage. Since I have AMD and a Freesync monitor on my main computer, I am not eager to switch to a Nvidia card. Can TCG run on Steam Link without being in a steam library?
    My courses:
    Aldeen
    Butler National
    Cantigny
    Canyata
    Cog Hill #4
    Harbor Shores
    Harborside
    Naperville Country Club
    Prairie Landing
    Rich Harvest Farms
    Ruffled Feathers
    Shoreacres

Have a stream link, but didn't trust it enough after spending this much money on my set up already, so I'm using HDMI Ethernet adapters with a 150 ft Ethernet cable to go from my inside PC out to my garage thru the basement/attic. I then control my computer with Mike80 's iPad app, which is a sticky on here.

People have talked about steam link on here, so maybe they'll chime in... I know that route would have been a hell of a lot easier IF TGC runs as a non-steam game fine... I would try that first before getting the steam link. Good luck.

Comment

Yes I use Steam to stream the game from my gaming PC in the house, to my macbook pro laptop in the garage. I also did try using the Steam Link hardware, but found that things work better for some reason using steam in-home streaming between 2 computers. I could not figure out how to get steam-link to output in 1600x1200 which is what I use on my projector to fill my 4:3 screen. But when using in-home streaming to my laptop, I can easily set the laptop to output at any resolution to the projector.

Since you already have a laptop in your garage, just install steam on both devices, enable in-home streaming, and play around with the options. The "Advanced Host Options" need to be setup on the computer that is actually running the game (the pc in your house). And the "Advanced Client Options" should be set on the laptop you are streaming to. I use "Balanced" quality, and find it 99% identical to actually running the game locally on my laptop.

I had previously used a wireless HDMI transmitter, but found it would drop signal too often. The Steam streaming is more stable.

You need to install the TGC interface as a non-steam game, after doing that it will show up in your steam library.

Comment

That is great to hear! Will play with the settings and see if going computer to computer versus plugging the steam link directly into the projector makes a difference for me.

My courses:
        Aldeen
        Butler National
        Cantigny
        Canyata
        Cog Hill #4
        Harbor Shores
        Harborside
        Naperville Country Club
        Prairie Landing
        Rich Harvest Farms
        Ruffled Feathers
        Shoreacres

Comment

Install my steam link and reinstalled The Golf Club on my main PC. Can't seem to get crossfire to work with steam link, but not a big deal since FPS at 60 already on high settings with just 1 R9 290 running. To get Steam link to work having a wired connection is key.

I pretty much did it via powerline adapters and got a little lucky too. My first attempt at setting everything up yesterday was a disaster. My initial LAN speed with the powerline adapter was awful. Powerline adapters are highly dependent on how your house is wired. Powerlines will generally play nice with electric plugs on the same column of the circuit breaker. For me I thought I was SOL since my study is on the left side and the garage is on the right side. I decided to individually try all the plugs via speedtest.net before waiving the white flag and there was 1 plug that gave me great speeds which ended up sharing a wall with my laundry room. I'm guessing that electric socket is actually on the laundry circuit breaker since my study and laundry room are both on the left side.

Such a huge difference in picture quality and frame rate from my older laptop. Definitely worth the $40 upgrade.

I ended up plugging my steam link directly into my projector since I didn't run into any resolution issues.

My courses:
          Aldeen
          Butler National
          Cantigny
          Canyata
          Cog Hill #4
          Harbor Shores
          Harborside
          Naperville Country Club
          Prairie Landing
          Rich Harvest Farms
          Ruffled Feathers
          Shoreacres

Comment

Thanks for all the information...I'm new to both TGC and Steam and had no idea you could stream games from one computer to another...Unfortunately, I was unable to get it work and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction...I've got a desktop in my basement with TGC and a laptop (or ideally a Surface Pro) I'd like to stream it through to use in my garage. I've installed Steam on both computers, enabled Home Streaming and installed the GSX, Protee and TGC as non-steam games on my Steam account. When I open steam on the laptop I'm trying to stream too,click on "play" for the GSX interface, it opens and appears to work fine. When I click on both the ProTee Golf Interface and The Golf Club Simulator, all I get is a blank screen on the laptop. Both programs open on the desktop down in the basement.

While I haven't gotten this far and this is probably an obvious question, but how do you get the data from the GC2 to TGC? Do you connect it to the client computer or the host computer (assuming the blue tooth has that kind of range?)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comment

Working...
            X