TGC Remote pedestal with buttons for sim control - HID hardware version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC Remote pedestal with buttons for sim control - HID hardware version

I've been a big fan of Mike80 'ssoft-solution for TGC remote keyboard control on the iPad. While I've never implemented it, its really cool and obviously now a must-have for the folks that have implemented the thing. I've been daydreaming of a hardware based solution that will emulate an HID device (KB/Mouse) - plug-and-play for windows with no additional drivers. It would be convenient to the stance area save the user from going to the keyboard so frequently. (most of the time to hit "enter") Many use wireless or wired keyboards, but you still have to search for the correct keys, in the dark, with single-vision lenses, because I can't golf with the progressives....etc,etc. a PITA for me, at least.

Since my 12-year-old has has gotten his shark-tank energy up with the FMJ skytrak case and he's an arduino/coding/3dprinting kid, this could be a fun project and addition to his "Full Metal Golf" line

There are a number of HID options out there -- chips, dev. boards, etc out there, schemes with wires, BLE or even WiFi. We're thinking that if we make the box with a dozen or so buttons, maybe some illumination and put it on a pedestal near the swing area, it would be something that people might like. Some other ideas are adding an integrated club rack, or beverage holder.

Buttons might be limited to ten or less, with large tactile surfaces. Or there could be foot pedals? A joystick? An "enter" pull string hanging from the ceiling? Lots of ideas.

We've ordered some electronics and buttons to start playing.

www.adafruit.com/products/1535
    http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/ap...ex.mvp/id/3637

We'll be sharing all the details for community DIYing and maybe making something out of steel for purchase if it's of interest.

Any thoughts here - what should this be able to do for TGC and other apps?
    Last edited by awisnia; 01-08-2017, 01:08 AM.

Awesome, I'm really liking how this family is helping this community out! Good work!

Comment

Found this freeware that will re-map USB joystick buttons/movements to any key stroke. Combined with a $3 retro NES controller and you could get a lot done. Obviously missing the single-touch macro ability of the iPad controller, but would save footsteps.

There's also KEYSTICKS that can work with any common game controller..looks like it may be able to give a macro-like functionality too. Going to play with this and an old Xbox controller.

Neither is plug-and-play hardware, but both could be used with a controller that's hanging around to pretty quickly add remote control to TGC or any PC simulator.

Comment

Floor buttons / pedals have been discussed before. Maybe do a search to avoid reinventing the wheel. The standard solution is using the zero delay usb encoders and freeare keyboard mapping programs. I use a ten arcade button with joystick setup which works great. Macro capability is no problem. The whole thing is trivial. Still might be a fun project for your boy especially the packaging. Hardware buttons have never really caught on though so I'm not sure what is needed for it to sell.

Comment

FaultyClubs Yup - trivial. After a bit more looking and finding the arcade world, there are a ton of options. I suppose a solution that has the key maps in eeprom for true HID plug and play and offers some sort of hardware to locate the buttons in the hitting area might have some traction. But, assuming that you have enough understanding to map keys, any button/joystick box will work pretty well. There are some perfect ones built for fighting games.

Actually forgot that my son bought one of these last year - maybe we can do something fun with it and TGC.

Comment

• awisnia
          awisnia commented
          Editing a comment
          Just learned that it's actually an arduino Leonardo so it's pretty simple to alter the key map. Found our project, maybe not product.

Some cool alternatives to generic zero delay usb - eeprom maping

Comment

Just stumbled upon this. I built something siilar for my optishot which i'm going to modify now for use with my GC2
          Build a wooden box with some buttons, a joystick and a Arduino board. I've gotten a lot of help from here so figured i'd share back. Not sure if this was the

Comment

BTW, I'd be willing to code for this project.

Comment

I know this thread is old, but curious how did you ever get this completed/set up? Im looking to build one of these on my own and have searched through the forum and trying to piece things together to do the build and programming. Just not sure exactly what software/hardware is needed.

Comment

Hi Mark - I still have all the bits and pieces that I bought in a cardboard box!

https://www.roxorgolf.com developed and sells this type of device that, unless you are looking for the project, seems to be the way to go.

if you want to play with it - there are kits for $10 to $30 with buttons, joy sticks, etc you just need to map the buttons to keystrokes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-16 Amazon com Avisiri 1 Player Arcade Buttons Joystick DIY Kit Parts Include 1x Ellipse Balltop Handle S[...].png
Views:	1455
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	304334Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-16 Amazon com Reyann Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder Pc to Joystick for Mame Jamma Other Pc Fighting Games[...].png
Views:	1065
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	304335

There are also pre-made $40 generic boxes that just require the key mapping

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-16 Amazon com MAYFLASH Arcade Stick F101 for Nintendo Switch PC PS3 Android Neogeo Mini SEGA MEGA Drive [...].png
Views:	1047
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	304336

Comment

Working...
                X