Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @ArborMan (NET) and @Marc Andre (GROSS) winning the TGC 1 2020 SPRING TOUR - Sony Open in Hawaii!

Join this weeks TGC 1 2020 SPRING TOUR - The American Express with 2 rounds at PGA West (Palmer) Saturday : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...erican-express
See more
See less

Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Hi everyone!

I've been hard at work for the last month developing tools that primarily will import Lidar data into TGC 2019 Courses.

There have been a lot of ups and downs, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to accept feedback from the community.

A completed course file is available here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYW...ew?usp=sharing

Please don't publish this course in game, it's not completed and I call 'dibs' on publishing this course after I finish decorating it.

I've completed the proof-of-concept phases and have created playable, realistic courses. I'm still working on the User Interface and instructions to make this the easiest that it can be, but I wanted to open the tools up for developers to contribute fixes.

The source code is available free on Github and releases will be available there under the "Releases" link. I'm targeting the initial release in a week or two as a Windows download:
    https://github.com/chadrockey/TGC-Designer-Tools

https://i.imgur.com/4GnzENd.png

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	184974

I also am supporting import from OpenStreetMap golf courses ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...576/-115.28536 ) into TGC as splines if you don't want the lidar elevation or can't get lidar for your course.

https://i.imgur.com/Nza71FG.png

Quick tips if you want to get started on your OpenStreetMap course: use the highest quality sat image available, map greens along the inside of THE FRINGE, map bunkers on the outside lip, map water on the outside lip.

For more information on the process or if you want to support future features of this tool, please read here: https://www.patreon.com/chadgolf

I hope this brings enjoyment to everyone. We all have courses that are personally meaningful to us, and I hope this software inspires you to create something for the community.
    - Chad

Special thanks to MTHunt, crazycanuck1985, friendBOMBER, and HTdumps for initial feedback and guidance.

Instructions and a tutorial linked from this page: https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChadGolf; 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM.

• Thank you ChadGolf! Many times I've started trying to recreate a real course and failed. Your tool and tutorial get me past all the difficult stuff. I'm well on my way having something recognizable and playable.

Comment

• It would be great if we could get the ortho imagery to import. It would make the street map step unnecessary and the entire process more accurate and easier to create

Comment

• It would be great if I could just click a button and do nothing else but, as it turns out, some things need to be done. )-:

Comment

• I'm running into errors with the tool trying to import course lidar data. Has anyone seen an error "module 'overpy' has no attribute 'OverpassGatewayTimeout'"? I attached screen shots. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Perhaps I have too much lidar data? Following the directions results in 23 lidar files for the area I am hoping to import.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dos-box.png
Views:	259
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	235013 Click image for larger version

Name:	tool-output.png
Views:	260
Size:	661.6 KB
ID:	235014
          Attached Files

Comment

• ChadGolf
            ChadGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            OpenStreetMap is too busy, try again in 5 minutes.

• ChadGolf Chad, first off loving the tool Thanks a bunch. After much trial and error I have nailed down quite a few courses to build.

I am running into an issue on a couple courses in our area we badly want to build. The data is great and high quality from 2017, it is in US survey feet and after much ado finally learned how to scale that properly the problem is the OSM data will not come in no matter what EPSG projecting I choose. I have chosen local codes, processed older data of the same area and used that EPSG code and nothing works though a random EPSG code actually did way off in nowhere land. This is the 2nd course we have tried in the area and it has the same EPSG issues. Anyway to find a patch to fix that as it seems the scaling I have to do for the data is causing the OSM issue? Maybe its just the way the point cloud data is assembled and no way around it but thought I check. Thanks

Comment

• Nwextension
            Nwextension commented
            Editing a comment
            Thought I would also mention if I just do noting and let it run its own EPSG I get a black screen on the right and no OSM data comes in. Trying other codes usually ended in that overpass timeout thing and wouldn't show a map or lock things up all together. Did get one random code to show somewhere off in the water.

• Nwextension
            Nwextension commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually I figured out the EPSG code Chad, false alarm. Thanks a million!

• Hi all,

Just started working with this tool yesterday and I keep running into issues I'm hoping I can get some help with. I keep getting the error: "Alert: Your course has exceeded it's object limit. Remove some excess objects if you want to add more".

I think this probably is an issue with masking, right? I masked the file in photoshop to remove as much of the outside the course stuff as possible, but when I look under the 'Course Tools' tab in the TGC Golf Tools, I see almost everything.

My Mask Image:

Name:	mask.png
Views:	190
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	236911

What my TGC Course Tools tab looks like after mask & re-import terrain & features:
          (you can see how different this looks than Chad's in the first post above)

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	173
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	236912

Any advice or tips on why I'm getting this error or how to solve it?

Thanks!

Comment

• Supraracer
            Supraracer commented
            Editing a comment
            Make sure you didn't change the extension of the mask file to jpg or something. It should be a png file. You could try using a darker shade of red (your's looks like it should work though) After looking closely your map might be too big. You might need to break into front 9 and back nine.
            Last edited by Supraracer; 01-08-2020, 06:16 PM.

• ChadGolf
            ChadGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            No one ever needs to split front 9 and back 9. The mask just isn't applying, he's done something wrong in that process.

• jhkaplan
            jhkaplan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks guys. The mask was a PNG. I redid the mask in a different program and it seems to have worked!

• Now for a different course issue: the course i keep trying to import keeps comign in with 19 holes. I have tried cleaning it up as much as possible in OSM, deleted the hole lines and started over, yet I keep getting 19. What else can I try to do to troubleshoot or fix this?

Name:	19holes.PNG
Views:	176
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	236980

This is the mask as shown under the Course Tools tab, it doenst seem to match up with the actual mask file that I have in the folder. There's that par 3 course in the bottom right corner i masked out, but it's stil showing up. I wonder if that's causing an issue?

Name:	maskGC.PNG
Views:	161
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	236981

The mask I have in the folder (also looks like this mask image is missing 3-4 fairways, but not sure that matters at this point?):

Name:	mask.png
Views:	159
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	236982

Comment

• jhkaplan
            jhkaplan commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok got it down to the correct 18 by doing some cleanup and deletion of the par 3 in OSM. But the next mole to pop up I cant seem to whack: when I load in TGC to test, it crashes. Any way to check logs or see why it might be crashing when loading? I'm assuming there's some weird stuff in the course map from OSM (someone else did a lot of it before me and tagged a lot of weird shit), but not sure how to find out exactly.

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            Without digging too much into this, the max is 18 holes and the problems are likely errors in OSM.

• Ok I'm at my wits end here with trying to get this new course to load. When I get into TGC designer, it's there under 'Unpublished Courses', however when I try to edit it, TGC crashes. I've spend tons of time re-mapping everything in OSM, removing excess par 3 course holes, updating out of date tags (someone else did most of the course mapping in OSM previously, I was using that but having to make some updates). Does anyone have any tips on how to troubleshoot from here? Any way to tell what might be causing the crash, or how to further clean it up?

For reference, the course I'm using is CommonGround in Aurora, CO

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...457/-104.87447

Here's the popup that comes right as it crashes when loading the course in designer mode.

Name:	d3a26b252e47cf8a81ac3adb339c86fca69c2a01_2_1033x586.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	237082
          Last edited by jhkaplan; 01-09-2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• You keep saying TGC, do you mean TGC 2019? Chad's lidar tool uses splines so only works in TGC 2019...

Comment

• jhkaplan
              jhkaplan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, TGC2019 through steam

• Id guess it’s a problem with the osmaps work. Originally, looks like it’s found way more than 18 holes - and as mt says check the props in osmaps for the regions which are missing. Q. what’s it finding now you have cleaned it up? Can you post those screens again?

Comment

• Yeah that’s unfortunate.

You’ll have to label the holes in OSM by course and add one of the words to the hole filter box in the tool.

So if it’s the north course, filter by north. Mountain enter mountain, etc.

Comment

• Oh good to know, I didnt know this was an option. I'm still working my way through my first few courses with the tool, on my first few days. Thanks for the tool you've built and the work you've done here.

Another random question/issue I'm having: I was able to successfully publish one course built with the tool, but when I go to publish a 2nd course I was building with it, the publish fails. It says I lose connection while publishing, and I have to exit out, go back to online mode in TGC2019, and try again (it fails). I just re-published the 1st course without issue, so it seems like it's a problem with that one specific course that's causing it to go offline. Any thoughts on what might be the issue here or where I can start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Comment

• ChadGolf
                  ChadGolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HB is rejecting the course for whatever reason. I can't answer further.

• having a bit of a problem. when I open chads tool nothing is there. The screen is totally blank. I started a course a month ago and it worked fine, but now nothing. I even deleted it and redownloaded it and still get the same black screen. Its probably something stupid I'm forgetting to do. thanks

Comment

• ChadGolf I am hoping you can shed some light on an issue I am having. I've been working with a couple of other users but have yet to nail down what is going on.

I followed the tutorial you made but seem to be having a couple of issues. The first issue is when I get the LIDAR box to pop up, I do not get anything in the right box and the left box is very hard to see. Then when it comes to bringing in the edited mask and heightmap it looks to me like there is a scaling issue. It is as if the course gets magnified after this step and I see just a small portion of the course in the preview window. If I do a flat OSM import it looks correct.

I'm not sure if my default settings could be different than what they should be or if my hardware could be an issue, but in both cases I am using computers that I do 3D design work on (SolidWorks) as well as 4K video edits, so I'm thinking it is something else. I will follow up with some screen shots of my settings and the results as I go along. I am probably missing something small that is having a bid effect. I appreciate any help you or others can provide to help me fix whatever it is I am doing incorrectly.

Comment

• Here are the first few steps I am taking.

Name:	Course Directory.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	238341

Name:	LIDAR start.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	238342

Name:	Boundaries Box.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	238343

Name:	Box Drawn.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	238344

Comment

• Jtangm04
                      Jtangm04 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The last thumbnail shows the grainy pic on the left but nothing on the right. The EPSG coordinates are not matching up.

I had this issue with a lot of west suburban Chicago areas course I created. It's been awhile since I've done this but if you start googling epsg coordinates on the region you are working on you might find a hit on a website. Then enter that number in the "force lidar epsg projection" box.

• mthunt
                      mthunt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You need the right code. There’s some guys on TGC Tours that may know.

• Jtangm04
                      Jtangm04 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What is the location of the golf course?
                      Epsg 32129 is south Pennsylvania.
                  Working...
                  X