X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Hi everyone!

I've been hard at work for the last month developing tools that primarily will import Lidar data into TGC 2019 Courses.

There have been a lot of ups and downs, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to accept feedback from the community.

A completed course file is available here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYW...ew?usp=sharing

Please don't publish this course in game, it's not completed and I call 'dibs' on publishing this course after I finish decorating it.

I've completed the proof-of-concept phases and have created playable, realistic courses. I'm still working on the User Interface and instructions to make this the easiest that it can be, but I wanted to open the tools up for developers to contribute fixes.

The source code is available free on Github and releases will be available there under the "Releases" link. I'm targeting the initial release in a week or two as a Windows download:

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	184974

I also am supporting import from OpenStreetMap golf courses ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...576/-115.28536 ) into TGC as splines if you don't want the lidar elevation or can't get lidar for your course.

Quick tips if you want to get started on your OpenStreetMap course: use the highest quality sat image available, map greens along the inside of THE FRINGE, map bunkers on the outside lip, map water on the outside lip.

For more information on the process or if you want to support future features of this tool, please read here: https://www.patreon.com/chadgolf

I hope this brings enjoyment to everyone. We all have courses that are personally meaningful to us, and I hope this software inspires you to create something for the community.
    - Chad

Special thanks to MTHunt, crazycanuck1985, friendBOMBER, and HTdumps for initial feedback and guidance.

Instructions and a tutorial linked from this page: https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChadGolf; 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM.

• Thanks, I've added this to the course tracking file.
    Originally posted by TFLeonard View Post
    In case anyone is interested, i’ve posted my first Lidar course, a RCR of the Green Pearl, in Moorea French Polynesia. I picked this one due to my interest in French courses and to see if I could make use of the Lidar I found on a government website. The Lidar files also had a rare separate data file for Above ground objects which I classified as trees. Chad’s program did pick these up which helped a lot in the realism of the course.. The course name is “TL Green Pearl Moorea v1.1”. The first version has some impossible pin locations on 13 which I rectified in v1.1.

Comment

• Posted two more French Lidar courses "TL Golf de Toulouse v1.1" and "TL BassinBleuReunion v1.0". The last one is on Reunion Island east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. Lot's of great topography and elevated tees.

Comment

• I've posted two more exotic French Lidar courses, "TL Colorado, Reunion v1.0" and "TL LesYlangs,Mayotte v1.0". The first is another on the island of Reunion, and the latter on Mayotte in the Comores islands, both in the Indian ocean on opposite sides of Madagascar. I'm pretty sure this is the first time any of these have been simulated. Beats the twenty hour plane ride to get there.

Thanks again to Chad very producing such a great utility! I can turn around RCR in a few days now.
        Last edited by TFLeonard; 08-14-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• This tool is awesome. Used it to quickly make the front 9 at my home course. It amazing how my ball ends up in the same place in real life as it does on this haha.

One question, whats the best way to get rid of the cliffs around the masked areas?

Comment

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            Use the red brush and sculpt it.

• I posted two more French Lidar courses but this time they're both on the mainland: "TL Golf de Carantec v1.0" which is on the north coast of Brittany and "Tl GolfClubdeStTropez 1.0" which is on the French Riviera.

Comment

• whats the OSM for cart path?

Comment

• Now, I have Lidar data here in Finland, but it is only "Hight accuracy 0,15 m and point accuracy 0.41 points per sqm. I have spent the best part of 50 hours designing my home course (looks great), but I am very disappointed to say that this accuracy is simply not enough. The greens have huge breaks that are not there in real life and the fairways have wavy bounces on them here and there. I could request (pay) for better data. How accurate would I need it to be? Metric system would be much appreciated.

Comment

• So I started making my first course. Can you import your map and add marked areas without it undoing the editing you already did? I want to map a few areas I missed on the first round but I added water, houses, and rocks etc to my map in game. I want to mark some precise tree areas and plantings. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supraracer View Post
                  So I started making my first course. Can you import your map and add marked areas without it undoing the editing you already did? I want to map a few areas I missed on the first round but I added water, houses, and rocks etc to my map in game. I want to mark some precise tree areas and plantings. Thanks.

If I understand what you're saying you've done some work and want to run the software again. You can't. It only takes the data and creates something new.
                  My Courses:
                  World Par 3's by mthunt
                  Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                  Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt
                  London Hunt Club L mthunt
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt
                  Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                  Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                  Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                  Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                  The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                  The National GC L mthunt
                  Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                  Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                  Markland Woods CC mthunt
                  Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                  Magna GC L mthunt
                  Barrie CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range

Comment

• I keep getting this error while importing OSM data.

Comment

• proheikki
                      proheikki commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have same problem too with one course. This course locates pretty near city, but i don't know if it relates to issue.

• Supraracer
                      Supraracer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just kept trying and eventually, it worked.

• This might be a very stupid question: How do you "Force EPSG code & Unit"? I am trying to create a golf course in Columbus Indiana. The lidar .las file I downloaded has the wrong EPSG code or Unit for sure. I don't know how to fix it. Thank you.

Comment

• Phoenix01
                      Phoenix01 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Never mind, I found the place to enter the code : After click "Process Lidar" , you will have the option to force the code & unit. Hope it works.

• I’ll add a dumb question (I’m a Mac guy, so be gentle!)....

The tutorial is fantastic, and I’m able to follow it right up to “will download a zip file” that is supposed to contain both meta and a LAS file (I think) once its unzipped.

I just get a simple LAS, not zipped anything. And the Metadata seems a separate file?

Can anybody lay down basic step by step of what I might be doing wrong relative to the tutorial? It works exactly as ChadGolf says it should up to this point, then I can’t move forward

Thanks!

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                      BGCurtis2nd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Laz is the compressed file, Las is the uncompressed file, either will work. And yes Metadata is a separate file which you do not need to download.

• Will TGC2019 take 27 hole course Lidar data? When I try to load a 27 hole course in TGC2019, I get a HB- RS[1702] error message. I have no issue to load a 9 hole & 18 hole golf course. Have anyone created a 27 or more hole golf course using TGC2019? Thank you.

Comment

• wbond
                      wbond commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How does this course usually play? If they play all three options, it may be better to create all 3. For example 1&2, 1&3 and 2&3.

• Originally posted by 968Cab View Post
                    I’ll add a dumb question (I’m a Mac guy, so be gentle!)....

The tutorial is fantastic, and I’m able to follow it right up to “will download a zip file” that is supposed to contain both meta and a LAS file (I think) once its unzipped.

I just get a simple LAS, not zipped anything. And the Metadata seems a separate file?

Can anybody lay down basic step by step of what I might be doing wrong relative to the tutorial? It works exactly as ChadGolf says it should up to this point, then I can’t move forward

Thanks!
                    You've not done anything wrong. Copy the las file into the folder with your blank course file and then carry on as per the tutorial and it should all work out just fine.

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Phoenix01 View Post
                      Will TGC2019 take 27 hole course Lidar data? When I try to load a 27 hole course in TGC2019, I get a HB- RS[1702] error message. I have no issue to load a 9 hole & 18 hole golf course. Have anyone created a 27 or more hole golf course using TGC2019? Thank you.
                      As far as I'm aware the limit is 18 holes which is why you're getting the error. The easiest option I guess is to map it out in OSM but not label them up as holes therefore the game won't try to lay flags and routings etc.

If you're using the latest version of the app then I'm pretty sure it doesn't put the holes down anyway so you can just import the terrain and the OSM features so that all the holes will show and then you can number them 1-18 in the designer.

Andy

Comment

• Phoenix01
                        Phoenix01 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Andy, thank you very much for your confirmation. I will try your suggestion.

• Phoenix01
                        Phoenix01 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Deleted the golf hole labels for the hole 19 ~ 27, but got the same error message when trying to load the course in TGC2019. Will try to change the putting green to fairway and see if works tonight.

• AndyF
                        AndyF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just delete all of the hole tags and then tag them in the designer when you load it up. I've done that with my LIDAR courses and have had putting greens and practice greens import all perfectly OK
                    Working...
                    X