X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Hi everyone!

I've been hard at work for the last month developing tools that primarily will import Lidar data into TGC 2019 Courses.

There have been a lot of ups and downs, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to accept feedback from the community.

A completed course file is available here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYW...ew?usp=sharing

Please don't publish this course in game, it's not completed and I call 'dibs' on publishing this course after I finish decorating it.

I've completed the proof-of-concept phases and have created playable, realistic courses. I'm still working on the User Interface and instructions to make this the easiest that it can be, but I wanted to open the tools up for developers to contribute fixes.

The source code is available free on Github and releases will be available there under the "Releases" link. I'm targeting the initial release in a week or two as a Windows download:

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	184974

I also am supporting import from OpenStreetMap golf courses ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...576/-115.28536 ) into TGC as splines if you don't want the lidar elevation or can't get lidar for your course.

Quick tips if you want to get started on your OpenStreetMap course: use the highest quality sat image available, map greens along the inside of THE FRINGE, map bunkers on the outside lip, map water on the outside lip.

For more information on the process or if you want to support future features of this tool, please read here: https://www.patreon.com/chadgolf

I hope this brings enjoyment to everyone. We all have courses that are personally meaningful to us, and I hope this software inspires you to create something for the community.
    - Chad

Special thanks to MTHunt, crazycanuck1985, friendBOMBER, and HTdumps for initial feedback and guidance.

Instructions and a tutorial linked from this page: https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChadGolf; 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM.

• Hello,

I'm new to this concept of LIDAR designing and I've been trying to design my favorite local courses on TGC for some time now but I'm never satisfied with how things turn out from an elevation standpoint doing it the "old fashioned way". In looking for more info on LIDAR courses I stumbled across this board and have been able to download Chad's tool. I've read all of the tutorials and listened to Chad's twitch to get a better understanding of how this all needs to work. I'm definitely not an IT pro or a software developer but I'm good at following instructions.

Anyways, I've been able to find and download the LIDAR data I need, I've also spent a considerable amount of time on open street maps plotting out the first course I'd like to attempt to create using this method. When I open Chad's tool and try to follow the steps as outlined I keep running into the same error message. I'm assuming it's because the server is currently down but I want to ensure that I'm not doing something wrong. Can someone let me know what the text below means? Again, my assumption is the server is down and I just have to keep trying until it comes back but if anyone sees anything that indicates otherwise please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm excited to get started on building some of my favorite local courses and adding to the community.

Processing: OH_South_2007_001948.las
    Using metadata: OH_South_2007_001948.xml
    Could not load OH_South_2007_001948.las
    We rely on a web service to get lidar information
    If you can't reach prj2epsg.org, lidar import won't work for now
    Failed to retrieve data from prj2epsg.org API:

Processing: OH_South_2007_001949.las
    Using metadata: OH_South_2007_001949.xml
    Could not load OH_South_2007_001949.las

Processing: OH_South_2007_001968.las
    Using metadata: OH_South_2007_001968.xml
    Could not load OH_South_2007_001968.las

Processing: OH_South_2007_001969.las
    Using metadata: OH_South_2007_001969.xml
    Could not load OH_South_2007_001969.las

Comment

• Rockin Robin
      Rockin Robin commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you please direct me to where I actually download Chad's tool from? I have been around and around different forums and pages trying to find an actual link to a download but I can't find it anywhere. I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks

• Easiest thing is just to open the xml file in Notepad or similar and see what the epsg number is. Do Ctrl+F for epsg, input that number into the Force Lidar EPSG Projection box

Example:

Click image for larger version  Name:	epsg.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	268046

I also have a question about importing lidar trees, I've been trying to use the feature on the designer tool. I've started with a completely empty course, set everything to 0 or none (including trees), when I generate the course there are no trees. When processing the lidar/generating the heightmap it detects trees and their heights in the text log that scrolls by, but the course is completely void of trees upon opening in the game. Do I need to have the tree value set to something other than none, or am I missing something else?

EDIT: ok I moved the tree slider up and it populated trees, but they appear to be completely random and don't line up with what should have been coming over from lidar. What have I missed to get it to import correctly?

2nd Edit: I figured out the trees, I just needed to select vegetation layers as well as ground layer when getting my lidar data. Hope that helps anyone else who may have the same issue.
    Last edited by JeffM; 05-07-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• When I read this I thought that this would be an easy way to always be able to find the correct EPSG codes, however it does not seem to work for all xml. files. The file pasted below is from the USGS Lidar map site for Southern Michigan and is EPSG code 2253. However I do not see it anywhere in the file as shown is the previous post. So it may not always work. Just wanted to post this as an FYI.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <!DOCTYPE metadata SYSTEM "http://thor-f5.er.usgs.gov/ngtoc/metadata/fgdc-std-001-1998.dtd">
      <metadata>
      <idinfo>
      <citation>
      <citeinfo>
      <origin>U.S. Geological Survey</origin>
      <pubdate>20180716</pubdate>
      <title>USGS Lidar Point Cloud MI WayneCo 2017 437200 LAS 2018</title>
      <geoform>map</geoform>
      <pubinfo>
      <pubplace>Reston, VA</pubplace>
      <publish>U.S. Geological Survey</publish>
      </pubinfo>
      <onlink>http://ned.usgs.gov/</onlink>
      <onlink>http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html</onlink>
      <lworkcit>
      <citeinfo>
      <origin>U.S. Geological Survey</origin>
      <pubdate>2018</pubdate>
      <title>Lidar Point Cloud (LPC)</title>
      <onlink>https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/item/4f70ab64e4b058caae3f8def</onlink>
      </citeinfo>
      </lworkcit>
      </citeinfo>
      </citation>
      <descript>
      <abstract>Lidar (Light detection and ranging) discrete-return point cloud data are available in the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) LAS format. The LAS format is a standardized binary format for storing 3-dimensional point cloud data and point attributes along with header information and variable length records specific to the data. Millions of data points are stored as a 3-dimensional data cloud as a series of x (longitude), y (latitude) and z (elevation) points. A few older projects in this collection are in ASCII format. Please refer to http://www.asprs.org/Committee-Gener...ctivities.html for additional information. This data set is a LAZ (compressed LAS) format file containing lidar point cloud data. Compression to an LAZ file was done with the LAStools 'laszip' program and can be unzipped with the same free program (laszip.org). </abstract>
      <purpose>High-resolution digital elevation maps generated by airborne and stationary LiDAR have led to significant advances in geomorphology, the branch of geoscience concerned with the origin and evolution of Earth's surface topography. LiDAR provides unique characteristics relative to other remotely sensed data sources by providing three-dimensional feature information that cannot be derived from traditional imaging sensors. </purpose>
      <supplinf>{"gdaId" : 11858650}</supplinf>
      </descript>
      <timeperd>
      <timeinfo>
      <rngdates>
      <begdate>20170415</begdate>
      <enddate>20170423</enddate>
      </rngdates>
      </timeinfo>
      <current>publication date</current>
      </timeperd>
      <status>
      <progress>Complete</progress>
      <update>None planned</update>
      </status>
      <spdom>
      <bounding>
      <westbc>-83.2100509828</westbc>
      <eastbc>-83.2009750176</eastbc>
      <northbc>42.049734369</northbc>
      <southbc>42.0427802496</southbc>
      </bounding>
      </spdom>
      <keywords>
      <theme>
      <themekt>ISO 19115 Topic Category</themekt>
      <themekey>elevation</themekey>
      </theme>
      <theme>
      <themekt>NGDA Portfolio Themes</themekt>
      <themekey>Elevation</themekey>
      </theme>
      <theme>
      <themekt>National Elevation Dataset (NED)</themekt>
      <themekey>National Elevation Dataset</themekey>
      <themekey>NED</themekey>
      <themekey>LIght Detection And Ranging</themekey>
      <themekey>LIDAR</themekey>
      <themekey>High Resolution</themekey>
      <themekey>Topographic Surface</themekey>
      <themekey>Topography</themekey>
      <themekey>Terrain Elevation</themekey>
      <themekey>Cartography</themekey>
      <themekey>DEM</themekey>
      <themekey>Digital Elevation Model</themekey>
      <themekey>Digital Mapping</themekey>
      <themekey>Digital Terrain Model</themekey>
      <themekey>Geodata</themekey>
      <themekey>GIS</themekey>
      <themekey>Mapping</themekey>
      <themekey>USGS</themekey>
      <themekey>U.S. Geological Survey</themekey>
      </theme>
      <theme>
      <themekt>The National Map Type Thesaurus</themekt>
      <themekey>Downloadable Data</themekey>
      </theme>
      <theme>
      <themekt>The National Map Theme Thesaurus</themekt>
      </theme>
      <theme>
      <themekt>The National Map Collection Thesaurus</themekt>
      <themekey>Lidar Point Cloud (LPC)</themekey>
      </theme>
      <theme>
      <themekt>The National Map Product Extent Thesaurus</themekt>
      <themekey>Varies</themekey>
      </theme>
      <theme>
      <themekt>The National Map Product Format Thesaurus</themekt>
      <themekey>LAZ</themekey>
      </theme>
      <place>
      <placekt>Geographic Names Information System</placekt>
      <placekey>US</placekey>
      <placekey>United States</placekey>
      </place>
      <place>
      <placekt>The National Map Place Thesaurus</placekt>
      <placekey>US</placekey>
      </place>
      </keywords>
      <accconst>None. Any downloading and use of these data signifies a user's agreement to comprehension and compliance of the USGS Standard Disclaimer. Insure all portions of metadata are read and clearly understood before using these data in order to protect both user and USGS interests.</accconst>
      <useconst>There is no guarantee or warranty concerning the accuracy of these data. Users should be aware that temporal changes may have occurred since these data were collected and that some parts of these data may no longer represent actual surface conditions. Users should not use these data for critical applications without a full awareness of its limitations. Acknowledgement of the originating agencies would be appreciated in products derived from these data. Any user who modifies the data is obligated to describe the types of modifications they perform. User specifically agrees not to misrepresent the data, nor to imply that changes made were approved or endorsed by the USGS. Please refer to http://www.usgs.gov/privacy.html for the USGS disclaimer.</useconst>
      <browse>
      <browsen>https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/Sta...2018_thumb.tif </browsen>
      <browsed>Thumbnail JPG image</browsed>
      <browset>JPEG</browset>
      </browse>
      <datacred>Acknowledgement of the originating agencies would be appreciated in products derived from these data.</datacred>
      </idinfo>
      <dataqual>
      <attracc>
      <attraccr>Data are provided in las format version LAS 1.4. Header attributes and point attribute for LAS files can be found on ASPRS website listed below. USGS not making any promises on the accuracy or completeness of the attribute information.</attraccr>
      </attracc>
      <logic>Please refer to the Metadata Section at the end of this document for a live link to a copy of the original data source's metadata file if one was provided.</logic>
      <complete>The lidar collection has been acquired by the USGS through contracts, partnerships with other Federal, state, tribal, or regional agencies, from direct purchases from private industry vendors, and through volunteer contributions from the science community. While USGS makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information, USGS provides no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of furnished lidar point clouds. Please note that USGS does not control and cannot guarantee the relevance, timeliness, or accuracy of these outside materials.</complete>
      <lineage>
      <procstep>
      <procdesc>unknown</procdesc>
      <procdate>2018</procdate>
      <proccont>
      <cntinfo>
      <cntorgp>
      <cntorg>U.S. Geological Survey</cntorg>
      </cntorgp>
      <cntaddr>
      <addrtype>mailing and physical</addrtype>
      <address>USGS National Geospatial Program Office</address>
      <address>12201 Sunrise Valley Drive</address>
      <city>Reston</city>
      <state>VA</state>
      <postal>20192</postal>
      <country>USA</country>
      </cntaddr>
      <cntvoice>1-888-ASK-USGS (1-888-275-8747)</cntvoice>
      <hours>0800 - 1600 CT, M - F (-6h CST/-5h CDT GMT)</hours>
      <cntinst>Please visit http://www.usgs.gov/ask/ to contact us.</cntinst>
      </cntinfo>
      </proccont>
      </procstep>
      </lineage>
      </dataqual>
      <spdoinfo>
      <direct>Point</direct>
      </spdoinfo>
      <spref>
      <horizsys>
      <planar>
      <mapproj>
      <mapprojn>N/A</mapprojn>
      <lambertc>
      <stdparll>43.6666666667</stdparll>
      <stdparll>42.1</stdparll>
      <longcm>0.0</longcm>
      <latprjo>41.5</latprjo>
      <feast>13123359.58</feast>
      <fnorth>0.0</fnorth>
      </lambertc>
      </mapproj>
      <planci>
      <plance>coordinate pair</plance>
      <coordrep/>
      <plandu>N/A</plandu>
      </planci>
      </planar>
      </horizsys>
      </spref>
      <eainfo>
      <overview>
      <eaover>The attributes for LAS is described in LAS specifications.</eaover>
      <eadetcit>A link to the LAS specifications describing information that is included for the LAS file and each point record it contains is provided at the end of the Metadata Section of this document.</eadetcit>
      </overview>
      </eainfo>
      <distinfo>
      <distrib>
      <cntinfo>
      <cntorgp>
      <cntorg>U.S. Geological Survey</cntorg>
      </cntorgp>
      <cntaddr>
      <addrtype>mailing and physical</addrtype>
      <address>USGS National Geospatial Program Office</address>
      <address>12201 Sunrise Valley Drive</address>
      <city>Reston</city>
      <state>VA</state>
      <postal>20192</postal>
      <country>USA</country>
      </cntaddr>
      <cntvoice>1-888-ASK-USGS (1-888-275-8747)</cntvoice>
      <hours>Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Eastern Time Zone USA</hours>
      <cntinst>Please visit http://www.usgs.gov/ask/ to contact us.</cntinst>
      </cntinfo>
      </distrib>
      <resdesc>Downloadable Data</resdesc>
      <distliab>Although these data have been processed successfully on a computer system at the U.S. Geological Survey, no warranty, expressed or implied, is made by either regarding the utility of the data on any system, nor shall the act of distribution constitute any such warranty. The USGS will warranty the delivery of this product in computer-readable format and will offer appropriate adjustment of credit when the product is determined unreadable by correctly adjusted computer peripherals, or when the physical medium is delivered in damaged condition. Requests for adjustments of credit must be made within 90 days from the date of this shipment from the ordering site.</distliab>
      >

My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
      Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
      Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
      Boyne Moor Lidar
      BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
      CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
      Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
      Marco Island CC Lidar3
      Willow Metropark Lidar5
      Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
      Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
      Meadowbrook Northville (L)
      The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
      Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
      Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
      Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
      Ottumwa Country Club
      And Many More...

Comment

• I put one tile in a folder and run all the codes i can find. It's always worked.
        My Courses:
        World Par 3's by mthunt
        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
        Burlington G&CC by mthunt
        Weston G&CC by mthunt
        London Hunt Club L mthunt
        Park CC Lidar mthunt
        Sunningdale GC Robinson L
        Sunningdale GC Thompson L
        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
        The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
        The National GC L mthunt
        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
        Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
        Markland Woods CC mthunt
        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
        Magna GC L mthunt
        Barrie CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffM View Post
          Easiest thing is just to open the xml file in Notepad or similar and see what the epsg number is. Do Ctrl+F for epsg, input that number into the Force Lidar EPSG Projection box

Example:

Click image for larger version Name:	epsg.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	268046

I also have a question about importing lidar trees, I've been trying to use the feature on the designer tool. I've started with a completely empty course, set everything to 0 or none (including trees), when I generate the course there are no trees. When processing the lidar/generating the heightmap it detects trees and their heights in the text log that scrolls by, but the course is completely void of trees upon opening in the game. Do I need to have the tree value set to something other than none, or am I missing something else?

EDIT: ok I moved the tree slider up and it populated trees, but they appear to be completely random and don't line up with what should have been coming over from lidar. What have I missed to get it to import correctly?

2nd Edit: I figured out the trees, I just needed to select vegetation layers as well as ground layer when getting my lidar data. Hope that helps anyone else who may have the same issue.
          This worked perfectly for me, thanks so much for the guidance here. I have another question, the LIDAR data seems to be slightly off in syncing up with the open street map plotlines. I am seeking to build courses using LIDAR data from Southern OH and I remember Chad specifically called that out in his Twitch stream. Something to do with having to manually input an offset, does anyone have any guidance on that? Hopefully I'm explaining this right.
          Last edited by okey82; 05-11-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Mhartley93
            Mhartley93 commented
            Editing a comment
            My zip file only has a .laz file in it. No XML.

How can I source the EPSG file in this instance. And once located, how do I then use this to force the tool to work?

• This worked perfectly for me, thanks so much for the guidance here. I have another question, the LIDAR data seems to be slightly off in syncing up with the open street map plotlines. I am seeking to build courses using LIDAR data from Southern OH and I remember Chad specifically called that out in his Twitch stream. Something to do with having to manually input an offset, does anyone have any guidance on that? Hopefully I'm explaining this right.
          That unfortunately I am not sure about. Sounds like the OSM satellite imagery is a bit off, I got lucky with mine and the auto elevation and auto position and rotate from the TGC Designer Tool lined everything up. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on how to manually adjust it.

Note to anyone just starting out using the TGC Designer Tool or the course creator, mask off as much as you can with the Designer when importing the lidar. I found out the hard way the lidar map really takes up a lot of the object/plant count, so depending on the size of the plot you could find yourself near the limit before even manually planting anything.
          Last edited by JeffM; 05-11-2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by okey82 View Post

This worked perfectly for me, thanks so much for the guidance here. I have another question, the LIDAR data seems to be slightly off in syncing up with the open street map plotlines. I am seeking to build courses using LIDAR data from Southern OH and I remember Chad specifically called that out in his Twitch stream. Something to do with having to manually input an offset, does anyone have any guidance on that? Hopefully I'm explaining this right.
            There's like 4 satellites on OSM. They don't line up. You can easily move your splines in OSM and redo the tool
            My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Burlington G&CC by mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            London Hunt Club L mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt
            Sunningdale GC Robinson L
            Sunningdale GC Thompson L
            Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
            Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
            The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
            The National GC L mthunt
            Mississaugua GC L mthunt
            Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
            Markland Woods CC mthunt
            Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
            Magna GC L mthunt
            Barrie CC L mthunt
            mthunt Range

Comment

• Running into a new interesting error, output from the terminal and GUI below, not sure if my EPSG number is correct, though changing doesn't seem to affect the output. Working on Taconic GC in Williamstown MA

Exception in Tkinter callback
              Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "urllib\request.py", line 1317, in do_open
              File "http\client.py", line 1229, in request
              File "http\client.py", line 1275, in _send_request
              File "http\client.py", line 1224, in endheaders
              File "http\client.py", line 1016, in _send_output
              File "http\client.py", line 956, in send
              File "http\client.py", line 1392, in connect
              File "ssl.py", line 412, in wrap_socket
              File "ssl.py", line 853, in _create
              File "ssl.py", line 1117, in do_handshake
              ssl.SSLCertVerificationError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1056)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1705, in __call__
              File "tgc_gui.py", line 521, in runLidar
              File "lidar_map_api.py", line 336, in generate_lidar_previews
              File "urllib\request.py", line 222, in urlopen
              File "urllib\request.py", line 525, in open
              File "urllib\request.py", line 543, in _open
              File "urllib\request.py", line 503, in _call_chain
              File "urllib\request.py", line 1360, in https_open
              File "urllib\request.py", line 1319, in do_open
              urllib.error.URLError: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1056)>

GUI:

Processing: USGS_LPC_MA_ME_MA_QL2_UTM18_L1_2015_18TXN645728_LA S_2018 (2).laz
              Problem looking up epsg with prj2epsg.org and/or spatialreference.org, try running the tool later.
              prj2epsg.org may be down, using backup for force_epsg
              Overwriting projection with EPSG:2805
              Unit in use is 1.0000000000000047
              Proj4 : pyproj.Proj('+units=m +init=epsg:2805 ', preserve_units=True)
              Processing: USGS_LPC_MA_ME_MA_QL2_UTM18_L1_2015_18TXN645729_LA S_2018 (2).laz
              Problem looking up epsg with prj2epsg.org and/or spatialreference.org, try running the tool later.
              Processing: USGS_LPC_MA_ME_MA_QL2_UTM18_L1_2015_18TXN646728_LA S_2018 (3).laz
              Processing: USGS_LPC_MA_ME_MA_QL2_UTM18_L1_2015_18TXN646729_LA S_2018 (4).laz
              Generating lidar intensity image
              29.02% visualizing lidar
              58.27% visualizing lidar
              87.35% visualizing lidar
              Adding golf features to lidar data
              OpenStreetMap Overpass query: (node(74.21906160889401,-59.70210243610392,74.24337863525743,-59.634578934355304);way(74.21906160889401,-59.70210243610392,74.24337863525743,-59.634578934355304);out;
              Mapquest Image URL Request: https://open.mapquestapi.com/staticm...ue&format=png& center=74.23122332460817,-59.66832298488716&type=hyb&zoom=16&size=1500,1500

Comment

• Hi all, has anyone successfully manged to get LIDAR data from Scotland to work?

I've managed to source .laz files from https://www.spatialdata.gov.scot/geo...og.search#/map for my local course, Kinross, but when I try to use them in the tool I'm getting this error :-

"Could not determine lidar projection, please report an issue and send this lidar and metadata
                Alternatively, look for something called EPSG Value in Metadata and provide EPSG."

Apologies if this has been covered, I have tried using the search function on the forum with no success.

Comment

• Yes, I have managed to get Lidar working in Scotland. I did a trial on a local course and built one hole to test if it worked and it did. It sounds like you may have not input a EPSG code or the wrong one for the course. You will probably find it in the meta data files. Try watching some of the videos online that show you how and where to find and input the number.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kmurray View Post
                    Yes, I have managed to get Lidar working in Scotland. I did a trial on a local course and built one hole to test if it worked and it did. It sounds like you may have not input a EPSG code or the wrong one for the course. You will probably find it in the meta data files. Try watching some of the videos online that show you how and where to find and input the number.
                    Thanks I’ll have a look.

Comment

• Hi,
                      My wife and I are trying to recreate our local course with this tool (we are noobs btw). We are using LIDAR data from NOAA. After running through the tutorial and running the process, the end result was that only 4 of the 18 holes were automatically recognized. Is that normal? Do I have to then use the TGC course designer tools to fill in the rest? We were hoping it would have recognized more fairways than just 4 of the 18. Apologies in advance if this comes across the wrong way.

Comment

• Originally posted by What4 View Post
                        Hi,
                        My wife and I are trying to recreate our local course with this tool (we are noobs btw). We are using LIDAR data from NOAA. After running through the tutorial and running the process, the end result was that only 4 of the 18 holes were automatically recognized. Is that normal? Do I have to then use the TGC course designer tools to fill in the rest? We were hoping it would have recognized more fairways than just 4 of the 18. Apologies in advance if this comes across the wrong way.
                        It could be an issue with Openstreetmaps (OSM), perhaps how the golf features are tagged, or the OSM servers were too busy when you ran the OSM portion of the tool (the 3rd tab, "Select and Import Heightmap..." button).

What's the name of the course?

Comment

• What4
                          What4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi s0707, we used LIDAR data from NOAA only. We thought there were two paths you could go down - the LIDAR data route or OSM. We were under the impression that the OSM route did not yield a course with elevation data (again we're noobs and just guessing at this). The course I'm trying to recreate is located in northern Virginia - 1757 Golf Club (45120 Waxpool Rd, Dulles, VA 20166).

• s0707
                          s0707 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi What4. Yes, definitely, if you don't have Lidar data, OSM is one way to get a flat course where you can sculpt the terrain yourself in the TGC19 designer. But the OSM golf course tags are also needed (very useful) when you do Lidar. The lidar by itself provides the elevation changes of the terrain, but it doesn't have any info about the location of fairways, greens, bunkers, tee boxes, etc. That's where the info from OSM comes into play. You define your golf features in OSM and Chad's Tool uses the coordinates of the golf-associated tags to create those features in the output course.

Looking at the 1757 golf course in OSM I see there's only one hole that's been defined with a golf:hole tag; other holes are defined as paths, or foot paths; which won't be imported/used by Chad's tool. Water hazards have also been defined, but they are tagged as plain water, which will not import; they need to be defined as golf:wather hazard, or gold:lateral water hazard. Looks like somebody did some work on hole#1 but didn't continue after that.

What you need to do is go to OSM and define all your tee boxes, putting greens, bunkers, fairways, golf holes, and water hazards (lateral or plain), but they all need to have the 'golf' type tag so that Chad's tool will use them. Just type "golf" in the search feature after you finish defining your area or line, and it'll show all the different golf-associated tags you can use. The other tags that are useful are "golf:cart path", or "golf:walking path" (the latter results in a narrower cart path once imported by Chad's tool, which some prefer). One other tag that Chad's tool imports is "stream", which shows up as mulch surface which you can then sculpt in the designer before placing your water "panes". Also, when you run the OSM tab in Chad's tool, play with the "fill holes under blue mask" option -- Normally the tool creates water hazards that are pretty deep (50+ feet), and it may impact greens, bunkers, or cart paths if they are too close to the hazard (the TGC19 designer uses some kind of terrain smoothing algorithm that sometimes produces unintended results). If you use the option to fill holes under blue mask, the water hazard doesn't start out so deep, and then you sculpt down the terrain to give it some depth before placing the water body... I like it better that way. I get very jagged water body edges otherwise.

Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions. Will be glad to help. I find this RCR activity is quite enthralling!!

• Thanks s0707! That is super helpful. We will try again tonight to map out those features then. We just automatically assumed the software mapped out that first hole. Had no idea someone else did it. lol This tool Chad created is awesome.

Comment

• I was just thinking that a couple of worthwhile things to do for familiarizing yourself with OSM tagging are:

a) do the short tutorial in OSM
                          b) watch the video of lidarking where he gives great pointers for OSM tagging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYa4ODgo-Bc

Comment

Working...
                          X