Need help with LiDAR course - editing mask.png and shifting course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with LiDAR course - editing mask.png and shifting course

I am working on a LiDAR course and having a couple of issues: 1) when I run the LiDAR data with Chad's tool and I go in to edit the mask.png, I use paint 3d, move the color all the way to the top right (255, 0,0) with matt finish and use the marker too to color over the unwanted areas and then save it. It all seems fine and if I just open up the mask.png file, it shows it all marked out.

However, when I run it with Chad's tool, it doesn't seem to be blacking it out. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mask.png
Views:	626
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	253743

Name:	maskpng.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	253742

The second issue that I am having is that my course seems to be off by 3-5 yards (I think to the north) as I see some of the greens falling off dramatically where a bunker should be or a bunker falling off into a water hazard.

I see that there is a "move" course or shift terrain function in the tool, is there a tutorial out somewhere that explains how to use that? I am not sure what those number values and I want to try to shift the course to the north about 3 yards.

Any ideas?

Attached Files
    Japan
    Tochigigaoka Golf Club
    Konosu Country Club (L)
    Olympic Country Club R&H
    Olympic Country Club F&R
    Olympic Country Club H&F
    Olympic National East (L)
    Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
    Shonan Seaside CC

US
    Torrey Pines North Course - L
    Torrey Pines South Course - L
    Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
    Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
    Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
    The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
    Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL
    RB GC & Resort v2 (L) - TX
    River Creek Park Golf Club (L) - TX

Others:
    Bali National Golf Club 3

Did you end up figuring it out? I’m having the same problem in that my course is a few yards shifted when it gets imported into TGC. Also, for some reason, Chad’s tool isn’t recognizing the holes around the perimeter of my course. Do you know why this may be?

Comment

Originally posted by brauny04 View Post
      Did you end up figuring it out? I’m having the same problem in that my course is a few yards shifted when it gets imported into TGC. Also, for some reason, Chad’s tool isn’t recognizing the holes around the perimeter of my course. Do you know why this may be?
      Different satellites are off a little in places. Some lidar is as well. The best thing to do is move the spline in OSM to a different satellite. You can move an entire spline.
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
      Weston G&CC by mthunt
      London Hunt Club L mthunt
      Park CC Lidar mthunt
      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
      The National GC L mthunt
      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
      Markland Woods CC mthunt
      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
      Magna GC L mthunt
      Barrie CC L mthunt
      mthunt Range

Comment

Would it be easier to just use the South->North and West->East shift built into Chad’s tool?

Comment

Would it be easier to just use the South->North and West->East shift built into Chad’s tool?
          Almost impossible. I tried many times.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

I was able to use the shift tools with some success with my course, The Tribute. Since there were big pot bunkers in the middle of the fairways, I could sort of work out how off things were and which direction it needed to be shifted (and what needed to be shifted, i.e., golf features or terrain). I used the measurement tool to figure out where the center of the bunker should be and then navigated around course to see what a shift would do to the rest of the course, especially greens, water, etc. There is also rotate function so I think it is a little trial and error and probably a lot of blind luck. I am not really sure if it is possible to get it to be perfect, but I guess you just need to try to get it close enough and then do a lot of the sculpting manually.

I have a few courses here in Japan that end up way off as I don't have terribly accurate data so I really try to work with courses where the data seems to be pretty good.
            Japan
            Tochigigaoka Golf Club
            Konosu Country Club (L)
            Olympic Country Club R&H
            Olympic Country Club F&R
            Olympic Country Club H&F
            Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
            Shonan Seaside CC

US
            The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX

Others:

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

Almost impossible. I tried many times.
              What would you recommend to try and fix this? Comparing the TGC bunker for example with the OSM bunker and try to shift the OSM to fit into the depression in TGC? Unless there is a shift feature in TGC that I don’t know about? That would make life much easier if you could just select an already shaped bunker and move it in the correct elevation. I believe that we are only able to move individual splines though?

Comment

Originally posted by sirish19 View Post

I was able to use the shift tools with some success with my course, The Tribute. Since there were big pot bunkers in the middle of the fairways, I could sort of work out how off things were and which direction it needed to be shifted (and what needed to be shifted, i.e., golf features or terrain). I used the measurement tool to figure out where the center of the bunker should be and then navigated around course to see what a shift would do to the rest of the course, especially greens, water, etc. There is also rotate function so I think it is a little trial and error and probably a lot of blind luck. I am not really sure if it is possible to get it to be perfect, but I guess you just need to try to get it close enough and then do a lot of the sculpting manually.

I have a few courses here in Japan that end up way off as I don't have terribly accurate data so I really try to work with courses where the data seems to be pretty good.
                Thank you, I will try my luck with the shift function and see where that gets me. I also posted on Chad’s 34 page thread, but haven’t gotten any responses. As someone who has made many courses, have you ever had OSM fail to import some holes that are labeled correctly? Below is two images of what I’m missing, they seem to all be on the outside perimeter of the course.
                Attached Files

Comment

What would you recommend to try and fix this? Comparing the TGC bunker for example with the OSM bunker and try to shift the OSM to fit into the depression in TGC? Unless there is a shift feature in TGC that I don’t know about? That would make life much easier if you could just select an already shaped bunker and move it in the correct elevation. I believe that we are only able to move individual splines though?
                  Go into OSM and change the satellite. See if that satellite lines up better. If it does redo OSM. If none of the satellites line up try to shift. It's tricky. You need to know what is dead north.
                  My Courses:
                  World Par 3's by mthunt
                  Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt
                  The National GC L mthunt
                  Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                  Markland Woods CC mthunt
                  Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                  Magna GC L mthunt
                  Barrie CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range

Comment

Thank you, I will try my luck with the shift function and see where that gets me. I also posted on Chad’s 34 page thread, but haven’t gotten any responses. As someone who has made many courses, have you ever had OSM fail to import some holes that are labeled correctly? Below is two images of what I’m missing, they seem to all be on the outside perimeter of the course.
                    This is caused by OSM errors. It's usually from not labelling a fairway or labelling it wrong.
                    My Courses:
                    World Par 3's by mthunt
                    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                    Weston G&CC by mthunt
                    Park CC Lidar mthunt
                    The National GC L mthunt
                    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                    Markland Woods CC mthunt
                    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                    Magna GC L mthunt
                    Barrie CC L mthunt
                    mthunt Range

Comment

In OSM, when you're editing, click on the Background Settings icon (looks like stack of papers, shortcut=B), then scroll that docked dialog all the way down -- you'll find Imagery Offset. You can adjust the offset there with click+dragging on the rectangle.

In Chad's twitch session he mentions that usually Bing's images line up well with the Lidar data, and recommended to add offsets to other satellite images. This happens to be my case with the Lidar data available here in Central Texas; I like Mapbox images which are clearer so I set Mapbox's offset to match Bing as a baseline.

To set the offset I outline a building in Bing, and then go to Mapbox to set its offset to match the building. Sometimes, though, the golf course might be covered by two or more satellite images, so you might need to repeat the procedure.

To pick the best satellite image baseline (Bing vs Mapbox, etc), I would do a deep bunker (a pot bunker?) in OSM, run Chad's tool, and in the tgc designer see if the sand spline matches the terrain.

Edit: BTW, if you do the satellite image offset in OSM, write down the two numbers you arrive at. OSM does not preserve that offset after you end you session; the next time you go to edit it'll have "0, 0" for the offset, and you can just type the numbers to use the same offset as your previous session.
                      Last edited by s0707; 10-28-2020, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by s0707 View Post
                        In OSM, when you're editing, click on the Background Settings icon (looks like stack of papers, shortcut=B), then scroll that docked dialog all the way down -- you'll find Imagery Offset. You can adjust the offset there with click+dragging on the rectangle.

In Chad's twitch session he mentions that usually Bing's images line up well with the Lidar data, and recommended to add offsets to other satellite images. This happens to be my case with the Lidar data available here in Central Texas; I like Mapbox images which are clearer so I set Mapbox's offset to match Bing as a baseline.

To set the offset I outline a building in Bing, and then go to Mapbox to set its offset to match the building. Sometimes, though, the golf course might be covered by two or more satellite images, so you might need to repeat the procedure.

To pick the best satellite image baseline (Bing vs Mapbox, etc), I would do a deep bunker (a pot bunker?) in OSM, run Chad's tool, and in the tgc designer see if the sand spline matches the terrain.

Edit: BTW, if you do the satellite image offset in OSM, write down the two numbers you arrive at. OSM does not preserve that offset after you end you session; the next time you go to edit it'll have "0, 0" for the offset, and you can just type the numbers to use the same offset as your previous session.
                        Thank you, I have completed my entire course and am going to start importing it into TGC. I triple checked and believe my OSM is correct, but it is not recognizing this area with two or three holes. Does anyone know why?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, I have completed my entire course and am going to start importing it into TGC. I triple checked and believe my OSM is correct, but it is not recognizing this area with two or three holes. Does anyone know why?
                          Hi brauny04, I took a look at your splines of this course and it seems like something screwy is going on with your splines around hole 16. I have never seen this before but I would try to go in and redo those splines.

I don't think this is the reason that those holes aren't being recognized though. My guess is that it is more of an issue with the LiDAR data that you are using. Are you sure that you have the entire course covered in the LiDAR? I have had this happen with a course that I tried to design as well. This was with Dallas Cowboys Golf Club near Dallas. I believe that what happened was that half of the course was covered under LiDAR put out by Dallas County and the other half was covered under LiDAR put out by Tarrant County and the resolution of those two data sets was different so Chad's tool wasn't recognizing half the course.

You might try to investigate that.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	295998
                          Japan
                          Tochigigaoka Golf Club
                          Konosu Country Club (L)
                          Olympic Country Club R&H
                          Olympic Country Club F&R
                          Olympic Country Club H&F
                          Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
                          Shonan Seaside CC

US
                          The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX

Others:

Comment

I went in and corrected all the splining for those holes. It looked like somebody went in and grabbed one point from all of those features and pulled them to the East. Very strange! I also labeled the holes correctly.

Try rerunning the course now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	updated course.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.5 KB ID:	297024
                            Last edited by jpotas; 11-14-2020, 12:24 AM.
                            My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
                            Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
                            Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
                            Boyne Moor Lidar
                            BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
                            CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
                            Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
                            Marco Island CC Lidar3
                            Willow Metropark Lidar5
                            Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
                            Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
                            Meadowbrook Northville (L)
                            The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
                            Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
                            Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
                            Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
                            Ottumwa Country Club
                            And Many More...

Comment

Originally posted by jpotas View Post
                              I went in and corrected all the splining for those holes. It looked like somebody went in and grabbed one point from all of those features and pulled them to the East. Very strange! I also labeled the holes correctly.

Try rerunning the course now.

Click image for larger version Name:	updated course.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.5 KB ID:	297024
                              I haven’t been on the forums in a while so I’m just seeing this. I actually dragged all of those points to the East when I realized that there was a seemingly invisible line through the course where anything to the west of that line wasn’t being picked up by the tool. However, I noticed that splines starting from the East and going past this line to the west (a cart path) did show up. So I moved one spline point for each feature not showing up to the right of that line to see if the tool would recognize them and it did! I just had to go in and delete that one spline for each in TGC and I was able to create my course.

What did you do to label my holes correctly? I already imported my course by the time you fixed my hole labels, so is there anything I need to do in the game to fix this before publishing?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X