Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LiDAR not available - pulling elevation data from Google Earth - anyone tried it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LiDAR not available - pulling elevation data from Google Earth - anyone tried it??

Hi All,

I have been creating a few Japanese courses from DEM (Digital Elevation Model) data sets that are readily available in Japan as LiDAR data here is not readily available. The resolution of these data sets are 5 mesh meaning that measurements are taken at 5-meter intervals. While the courses are not perfect, some actually turn out pretty well and are "better than nothing", and certainly a good starting point for additional sculpting and fine-tuning.

I am looking at trying to build some other courses in countries where there is no data readily available (at least I can't find it) such as China or Singapore. One thought that I had was to try to extract elevation data from Google Earth and see how that might work. Depending on the area, Google Earth seems to have mapped out somewhere between 15 meters and 15 cm so it might not be too bad. Before I spend too much time trying to figure this out, I wanted to check here to see if anyone has tried that already.

So far, I have found that I can draw data points all around the golf course in Google Earth (the denser the points the higher the resolution) and save that as a KMZ file. Then if I import that KMZ file into a free online conversion tool called GPS visualizer, you can save the data as a text file giving X, Y, and Z values (longitude, latitude, and altitude).

Using some software such as GlobalMapper, ArcGIS, or potentially some free software such as QGIS, you should be able to turn that data into DEM and potentially be able to convert that into a LAS file that can then be used by Chad's tool to create the course.

Has anyone tried this? Any ideas?
    Japan
    ZOZO Championships
    Olympic Country Club - Lake Tsuburada, Japan (L)
    Tama Hills Golf Course, Japan (LiDAR)
    Kasumigaseki Country Club East (LiDAR)
    Narashino CC - King (L)
    Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
    Taiheiyo Club Gotemba West - Japan (L)

US
    Torrey Pines North Course - L
    Torrey Pines South Course - L
    Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
    Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
    Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
    The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
    Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL

Others:
    Bali National Golf Club 3

Originally posted by Brettster View Post
    sirish19 - regarding this quote by 968Cab

How far have you gotten? Is it possible you can do this, where you generate LiDAR data for anyone, for a one-off fee for any course? Seems that would be valuable, even if course data is available online, for example, maybe your LiDAR data is better, or easier to get to, and you can grab it real fast with Longitude/Latitude coordinates, and send us a file?

Please keep us all in the loop...

Thanks,
    -Brett
    Hi Brett, thanks for the follow up. The Google Maps idea hasn't seemed to work out as I thought. I have been able to lay out the data points, and convert that into LAS format but it either shows up as a very flat course or I end up getting large spikes (most likely where it is picking up trees - since it is DEM, everything gets classified as ground). So, I have sort of given up on that idea.

If there are courses where there is no LiDAR available but only DEM data, then I can take that and turn it into a LAS file. But if there is LiDAR already available, I am not sure if my LiDAR would be any better or easy to find necessarily. So far, I haven't had any requests so not really sure. If you have any specific course requests, let me know.

Cheers,

Stephen
    Japan
    ZOZO Championships
    Narashino CC - King (L)
    Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba

US
    The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX

Others:

Comment

Originally posted by sirish19 View Post

Hi Brett, thanks for the follow up. The Google Maps idea hasn't seemed to work out as I thought. I have been able to lay out the data points, and convert that into LAS format but it either shows up as a very flat course or I end up getting large spikes (most likely where it is picking up trees - since it is DEM, everything gets classified as ground). So, I have sort of given up on that idea.

If there are courses where there is no LiDAR available but only DEM data, then I can take that and turn it into a LAS file. But if there is LiDAR already available, I am not sure if my LiDAR would be any better or easy to find necessarily. So far, I haven't had any requests so not really sure. If you have any specific course requests, let me know.

Cheers,

Stephen
      Hello,

I have tried to build my course from scratch using course designer in TGC2019, but the elevation thing from scratch is nearly impossible for me to figure out. I can do generic tree planting or smoothing as needed but to get real elevations at least close has been impossible and there is no Lidar data. What I would like to do is make my 9 hole home course in Wahoo NE (Hilltop Country Club) you can see it at the link below. I am hoping to copy it and have a back 9 that is identical where I can go in and add water features or other fun things so I have a fairly representative course and then a doctored up version on the back 9. Can you help? I know the course and every elevation change by hole extremely well even slopes of greens by hole as I have played it far too many times, but if you can help, it would be awesome.

Comment

[QUOTE=Casey Pflanz;n305886]

Hello,

I have tried to build my course from scratch using course designer in TGC2019, but the elevation thing from scratch is nearly impossible for me to figure out. I can do generic tree planting or smoothing as needed but to get real elevations at least close has been impossible and there is no Lidar data. What I would like to do is make my 9 hole home course in Wahoo NE (Hilltop Country Club) you can see it at the link below. I am hoping to copy it and have a back 9 that is identical where I can go in and add water features or other fun things so I have a fairly representative course and then a doctored up version on the back 9. Can you help? I know the course and every elevation change by hole extremely well even slopes of greens by hole as I have played it far too many times, but if you can help, it would be awesome.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/...Q2Nte3umFDAKAI[/QUOTE

It looks like there is Lidar based on the National Map website. Did you try there? You can see the coverage tiles in the pic below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WAHOO.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	305894

My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
        Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
        Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
        Boyne Moor Lidar
        BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
        CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
        Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
        Marco Island CC Lidar3
        Willow Metropark Lidar5
        Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
        Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
        Meadowbrook Northville (L)
        The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
        Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
        Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
        Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
        Ottumwa Country Club
        And Many More...

Comment

[QUOTE=jpotas;n305893]
          Originally posted by Casey Pflanz View Post

Hello,

https://earth.google.com/web/search/...Q2Nte3umFDAKAI[/QUOTE

It looks like there is Lidar based on the National Map website. Did you try there? You can see the coverage tiles in the pic below.

Name:	WAHOO.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	305894

I thought so, but maybe I don't really know how to do that either. Is that a paid thing or can you get it for free?

Comment

It is free. You also need to spline the course in OSM in order to use Chad's tool to create a Lidar course. Many online videos.

My Early Courses:
            Boyne Moor Lidar
            BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
            Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
            Marco Island CC Lidar3
            Willow Metropark Lidar5
            Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
            Ottumwa Country Club
            And Many More...

Comment

Originally posted by jpotas View Post
              It is free. You also need to spline the course in OSM in order to use Chad's tool to create a Lidar course. Many online videos.
              I am sorry, I tried to watch the videos and did find the LIDAR data, but when I went to checkout or download the files, I couldn't download zip files like the videos showed as it wasn't an option. I am sorry to be a big pain, but hoping you can help.

Comment

• jpotas
                jpotas commented
                Editing a comment
                You should be able to click on the LAZ file and download. If it brings you to a screen with an error message just try again later because the site is down. Lately it seems to be down more than it is up!

Casey Pflanz . Sent you a PM.

These are the 8 files that you need. Click on each one to download.

Name:	Hilltop.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	306147

My Early Courses:
              Boyne Moor Lidar
              BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
              Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
              Marco Island CC Lidar3
              Willow Metropark Lidar5
              Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
              Ottumwa Country Club
              And Many More...

Comment

I'll give that a go thank you.

Comment

• jpotas
                  jpotas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just a heads up, when you click on the metadata link, it will open up a page that you then have to down load the metadata from. You will see what I mean the first time you try it, pretty simple. The LAZ files should simply download as soon as you click on them.

I'll give that a go thank you.
                Man I swear I am pretty decent with technology, not considering myself a whiz by any stretch but more than get by yet I can't get this done at all. I go to the site then click the download laz file link and it opens a new blank window but doesn't do anything else. would you be willing to send me the LAZ Files or help? I was able to download the other files.

Comment

Man I swear I am pretty decent with technology, not considering myself a whiz by any stretch but more than get by yet I can't get this done at all. I go to the site then click the download laz file link and it opens a new blank window but doesn't do anything else. would you be willing to send me the LAZ Files or help? I was able to download the other files.
                  Before you ask, I did check my download folder to make sure it didn't download and not notify me.

Comment

• jpotas
                    jpotas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Casey, it's not you. I wanted to help so I just tried myself and I get the blank screen as well. The national map website is probably down 4 times as much as it is up. Actually pretty pathetic!. Just keep trying, eventually it will be up and working.

• jpotas
                    jpotas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Casey, it's not you. I wanted to help so I just tried myself and I get the blank screen as well. The national map website is probably down 4 times as much as it is up. Actually pretty pathetic!. Just keep trying, eventually it will be up and working.

• jpotas
                    jpotas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Casey, I just saw a message that says the National Map website no longer supports Chrome. I tried Microsoft edge and it is downloading. I will download all the files that you need. if you can't get them let me know and I will email them to you.

Before you ask, I did check my download folder to make sure it didn't download and not notify me.
                  jpotas thanks for the tip that the National Map website doesn't support Chrome. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I was able to download the files on my mac (using Safari) but not on my PC (using Chrome).
                  Japan
                  ZOZO Championships
                  Narashino CC - King (L)
                  Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba

US
                  The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX

Others:

Comment

• jpotas
                    jpotas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was stumped for a while as well, I think it has been a couple weeks. I just figured it out yesterday. Microsoft Edge worked perfect. I do wonder why they would do this since Chrome is so popular.

• Casey Pflanz
                    Casey Pflanz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jpotas, thank you for the all of the help and I am glad I am not completely dumb. I have to admit I haven't kept up great and used to be very good on computer and software programs and even did a little networking back in the day but its been a long time since I have kept up and so much changes all the time.

I figured this out; Google Earth to Chadstool. I built a course in Baja, MX where no LIDAR or ARC data was available. Perfecting and writing an instruction guide but happy to share if needed sooner!

Comment

Yes if you could post an instruction guide that be amazing. I mainly design Canadian courses and Lidar is scarce so if I could use Google Earth that would help massively.
                    thanks,

My courses.
                    Canada:
                    Big Sky Golf Club.
                    Radium Hot Springs, Springs course.
                    Victoria golf club
                    Meadow Gardens golf course.
                    Stuart Lake Golf Club
                    Coldstream golf course
                    108 golf resort.

Other:
                    Hay Harbor golf course

Comment

Originally posted by Nico Lawson View Post
                      I figured this out; Google Earth to Chadstool. I built a course in Baja, MX where no LIDAR or ARC data was available. Perfecting and writing an instruction guide but happy to share if needed sooner!
                      Hi Nico,

That would be awesome. I have a few courses that have no accessible LiDAR for and have been since closed and I would love to get elevation data for those before Google updates their maps.
                      Japan
                      ZOZO Championships
                      Narashino CC - King (L)
                      Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba

US
                      The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX

Others:

Comment

Originally posted by Nico Lawson View Post
                        Did you complete the instruction guide?

Comment

Working...
                        X