Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTERTOUR - The Genesis Open playing 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green) - 6836y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-genesis-open
See more
See less

Rookie design questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie design questions

Open Street Map:
    1. If a course is already outlined, can't be found in TGC 2019 and doesn't appear to be done well for Chad's tool
      1. Can I determine who did the outlines?
      2. Reasons why it would be outlined, but not in TGC 2019?
      3. Any harm in jumping in and updating it?
    2. Fairway to green transitions: What is best solution to avoid bubbles where these meet when spline points aligned? I've tried mapping fairway under green and that seems to work, but they didn't all look good and now I'd welcome tips.
    3. Course already outlined has a perimeter line noting course outer boundaries. Does this have any effect/purpose when using Chad's tool? I think it is causing a Lateral Water Hazzard to not show up as the perimeter line doesn't include the full Lateral Water Hazzard.
    4. Residential course: How best to handle courses where most holes are lined by houses on both sides? Is the only option to Create/Add, Place Objects, Buildings, and pick from the options?
    5. Residential course: How do you mark the edge of holes as out of bounds (applicable on most holes)?
    Pin positions: If you add multiple pin positions, how does it work? Are they grouped (position 1, 2, 3) around the course? Does software pick which to use when playing?

Theme/Terrain: Most combo's of Environment Theme and Backdrop have mountains in the horizon. I tried adjusting Terrain Hills to zero. Didn't seem to help. I need a relatively flat setting for midwest U.S. course. Am I missing anything obvious? Alternatively, I see in Chad's tool Import Terrain tab, Course Options related to background terrain and remove all terrain. I'm currently not using this and don't know if it applies.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I had same question. Lower right hand corner of open street has who edited it.

I ended up just changing what was there.

Comment

Open Street Map:

1.) you can try to read the info about edits on OSM. I found a previous user and contacted him. He was using it for TGC as well in my case. My take is that I’m going to provide more detail on the map, so why not do it.
      2.) I do something close to Lidar King in his videos, but had to fix the splines in game anyway.
      3.) this probably does nothing in Chad’s too.
      4.) yes. You get what you’re dealt. Some people have done some amazing buildings by combining them. Just see what’s there and try to recreate as best you can.
      5.) Out of Bounds is in the menu.

the pins are numbered. The first you create is 1, second is 2, etc. I follow what’s some courses do on their maps front, middle, back - 1, 2, 3; 3, 1, 2; 2, 3, 1 and repeat. These correspond to the hole positions on course selection screen. Make sure to look at the slope near the holes so it isn’t too steep.

My Midwest courses ended up with mountains too.

good luck!!

Comment

• GullLakeMi
        GullLakeMi commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. This was helpful. When I checked a couple of the names editing OSM, they referenced Burger Kings, etc. Seems not relevant. I watched the Lidar King video on OSM splining everything - very useful.

Originally posted by GullLakeMi View Post
      Open Street Map:
      1. If a course is already outlined, can't be found in TGC 2019 and doesn't appear to be done well for Chad's tool
        1. Can I determine who did the outlines?
        2. Reasons why it would be outlined, but not in TGC 2019?
        3. Any harm in jumping in and updating it?
      2. Fairway to green transitions: What is best solution to avoid bubbles where these meet when spline points aligned? I've tried mapping fairway under green and that seems to work, but they didn't all look good and now I'd welcome tips.
      3. Course already outlined has a perimeter line noting course outer boundaries. Does this have any effect/purpose when using Chad's tool? I think it is causing a Lateral Water Hazzard to not show up as the perimeter line doesn't include the full Lateral Water Hazzard.
      4. Residential course: How best to handle courses where most holes are lined by houses on both sides? Is the only option to Create/Add, Place Objects, Buildings, and pick from the options?
      5. Residential course: How do you mark the edge of holes as out of bounds (applicable on most holes)?
      Pin positions: If you add multiple pin positions, how does it work? Are they grouped (position 1, 2, 3) around the course? Does software pick which to use when playing?

Theme/Terrain: Most combo's of Environment Theme and Backdrop have mountains in the horizon. I tried adjusting Terrain Hills to zero. Didn't seem to help. I need a relatively flat setting for midwest U.S. course. Am I missing anything obvious? Alternatively, I see in Chad's tool Import Terrain tab, Course Options related to background terrain and remove all terrain. I'm currently not using this and don't know if it applies.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
      Hi, let me try to answer some of your questions here.

1. If a course is already splined out in OSM, I would assume that someone is working on it, either for 2019 or 2k21.
      2. As bryonf mentioned, you can see who has edited but I haven't really been able to find out exactly what they edited and when (I think you can see it somehow if you open up the edits but there are usually a lot of people doing a lot of editing so it is not necessarily that course or the golf features for the purpose of building the course.
      3. Some people will work on courses for months to get them just right before publishing so it may be good to give them some time. If it is incomplete (i.e., holes aren't numbered, not all fairways are done, etc.) and it stays that way for some time, then you may assume that someone started it but gave up on it. If it stays untouched for several weeks then I wouldn't be too bothered about going in and finishing it. When I am splining out a course, there is always the risk that someone else goes in and deletes or changes anything that I did so I try to get it splined and imported to TGC as quickly as I can (within a day or two).

2. Fairway to Green Transitions - I made a comment on this in an earlier post here. https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...ub-lidar-issue. I had gotten this feedback from another designer on another forum and it makes a world of difference. It just looks so much better. Now, I always pay attention to the fairway to green transitions in every course. CrazyCannuck also has a video on how to do this. Basically, you want to add a spline point for the fairway for every point on the green. It is much easier to do this in OSM while you are splining. If you have already imported the course with Chad's tool and already started on it (so don't want to start all over), it is a hassle but the results are well worth it. I went back with a couple of my courses that were in-progress and corrected them all. You basically mark the green spline point with the measure tool, then add a fairway spline point on exactly the same point. This was a real hassle and I ended up just marking all green splines, deleting the green, adding fairway spline points to each point, and then adding the green surface again along the same points. Then sharpen and smooth both surfaces and it should look much nicer. One other suggestion that I got was to change the path width of the green and fairway to 2.0 yards and change the secondary path width to 3.5 yards. This makes the fairway a little more narrow and greens a little larger, but it makes them both look a lot neater.

3. Couse outline - do you mean that the course is outlined, labeled as a "golf course" and named as a golf course? I don't believe that this has any effect in Chad's Tool. This won't have any effect of the lateral water hazard not showing up in the tool and if it is not showing up, it is likely because it was either cut out when you masked it or it wasn't included in the LiDAR that you had. I am actually not quite sure about lateral water hazards, I always mark everything as a water hazard. I assume that lateral water hazards are brought in through Chad's Tool but I don't think it makes a difference in terms of penalty or location of drop so I just mark everything as a water hazard.

4. For residential courses, I would recommend splining out each of the houses that you want to put in the designer (usually those lining the fairway) and mark those as buildings. This will put a concrete slab where you want the house to go and then you can just place object - building - townhouses, and choose whichever one you want. You won't really want to spline out ALL of the houses in the area because if you run out of objects, then you will be left with just a concrete slab there and you may have to go back in to delete each one by one. I did a course where there were hundreds of houses already splined out all around the course and I had to go through and delete each one of them....a real pain.

5. Out of Bounds - I would normally mark OOB along the true OB line or where it may be impossible to hit from IRL (such as in someone's back yard) or in the game (if it is off a cliff, in between large rock formations, etc. Generally people can declare unplayable and re-hit with penalty so it is not too bad but I have played a few courses where I got stuck somewhere that I couldn't get out of and ended up having to quit playing. That is no fun and ruins the enjoyment of the game. Be very careful and thoughtful when placing OB though.

6. Pin positions. Yes, when you create a hole, it places pin #1 for you where you set the green waypoint (usually that should be in the center of the green). When you are ready to add pin positions, start by hovering over the pin and then select to move pin, then you can move it to wherever you want to place it. Then hover over it again and choose "add pin position" and then another pin will pop up and you can move that one wherever you want. Without doing anything else, you can just move around the green to add pin #3 and #4. One thing to be careful about is accidentally moving one of those pins to another hole or somewhere off the green as that will mess things up and it can be sometimes hard to find and correct. You will know that you have added 4 pins when it won't let you add any more. If you only count 3 pins on the green, you have probably accidentally moved it to another green. Before publishing, make sure you playtest every tee box and every pin position. If a pin position is missing, you will be aiming off in a completely different direction and it will be unplayable. Also, for pin placement, set your green speed to the fastest setting 8.5 and then find a location for each pin that is "legal" and not sitting right on a slope. If you have them in legal positions at the fastest setting, then you know they will be playable in slower speeds. When someone starts a round, they will choose which pin position to play from. If you know the course well and know the pin positions, I would normally try to match up as much as possible.

7. For terrain, in settings menu, there is an Environment setting where you can change Theme, Backdrop, Lighting and Weather. You can change the backdrop there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	backdrop.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	320512

Hope this helps.

Japan
      Tochigigaoka Golf Club
      Konosu Country Club (L)
      Olympic Country Club R&H
      Olympic Country Club F&R
      Olympic Country Club H&F
      Olympic National East (L)
      Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
      Shonan Seaside CC

US
      Torrey Pines North Course - L
      Torrey Pines South Course - L
      Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
      Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
      Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
      The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
      Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL
      RB GC & Resort v2 (L) - TX
      River Creek Park Golf Club (L) - TX

Others:
      Bali National Golf Club 3

Comment

• GullLakeMi
        GullLakeMi commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the detailed advice. In regards to OSM 1&2, it was all splined although a couple holes #'d wrong and just a bit sloppy. I'm going to go ahead and update it. Mostly just moving spline points, not changing anything drastic.

For fairway to green, I'm going to go with Lidar King's approach of taking fairway points into green area. Good enough and quick.

In regards to the course outline and water hazzard, after your comments I went back and realized my Lidar area didn't include the complete body of water. Maybe that is my problem.

OB - OK. I deal with that once I get all the OSM work done appropriately.

Very helpful. Thanks again.

1.1. In OSM
      1.2. What is in TGC2019 is up to the designer
      1.3. No harm
      2. Use the soft fuzzy brush (Landscape Flatten)
      3. No effect. Course boundaries are not in the tool
      4. Yes. You have to add the objoects
      5. Create Add, Out of bounds
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt RCR
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt RCR
      Burlington G&CC by mthunt RCR
      Weston G&CC by mthunt RCR
      London Hunt Club L mthunt RCR
      Park CC Lidar mthunt RCR
      Sunningdale GC Robinson L RCR
      Sunningdale GC Thompson L RCR