Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correcting yardage from lidar

Hi everyone

i have almost completed my local course, but I have an issue with the yardages. Our 1st hole is 340 yards, but it shows at 309. I’m using lidar data and the features seem right on the greens so I am happy it’s rendered correctly. But is there a way to scale the course to get to the right yardages?

Also, the ball seems to be going further when I test hit. Is there a way to make sure the sea level and humidity are correctly set? I know this makes a difference using SkyTrak.

Thanks
    Phil

If it is Lidar then the yardages are correct. 31 yards can be the difference in pin and tee placements. Plus the fact that most scorecards are off!
    My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
    Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
    Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
    Boyne Moor Lidar
    BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
    CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
    Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
    Marco Island CC Lidar3
    Willow Metropark Lidar5
    Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
    Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
    Meadowbrook Northville (L)
    The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
    Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
    Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
    Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
    Ottumwa Country Club
    And Many More...

Comment

Ok, thanks a lot for your answer. Makes sense.

Comment

jpotas is correct. Trust the lidar, not the splining or scorecard. It is not unusual at all that your yardages will be off from the scorecard. Keep in mind that the scorecard is measuring to the center of the green so your pins are going to be all over the green and the actual yardages are always going to be variable anyway. The key thing to keep in mind is your course yardage is a measurement of three way points, the tee, the center way point and the green. You can manipulate the yardages by moving any of those way points around. Generally, you want the green waypoint to be close to the center of the green and you want the tee box to be roughly in the right place. I will generally try to put the center waypoint at around 300 yards from the tips and keeping it on the fairway. That way, the club selection is generally recommending a driver from the tee. Par 5's will almost always be off because you can only put one waypoint in the game where they normally measure par 5's with two waypoints. That is why you sometimes see the game recommending a 6 iron from the tee on a par 5 rather than driver (because the waypoint for is set at a location that is more suited to a 5 iron. When designing, a lot of people only spline the tee box from the tips as really a placeholder knowing that they are going to have to move tee boxes around anyway to match the yardages of the scorecard.
        Japan
        Tochigigaoka Golf Club
        Konosu Country Club (L)
        Olympic Country Club R&H
        Olympic Country Club F&R
        Olympic Country Club H&F
        Olympic National East (L)
        Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
        Shonan Seaside CC

US
        Torrey Pines North Course - L
        Torrey Pines South Course - L
        Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
        Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
        Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
        The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
        Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL
        RB GC & Resort v2 (L) - TX
        River Creek Park Golf Club (L) - TX

Others:
        Bali National Golf Club 3

Comment

I thought the lidar had to be right. All the lumps and bumps are in the right places. Thanks for you full answer.

Comment

• sirish19
            sirish19 commented
            Editing a comment
            yep, it usually is. If you see consistently that your bunkers seem to be a bit off, you might need to adjust things a bit by a few yards in Chad's tool but generally, you won't need to do anything.

Originally posted by Duxbury2002 View Post
          Hi everyone

i have almost completed my local course, but I have an issue with the yardages. Our 1st hole is 340 yards, but it shows at 309. I’m using lidar data and the features seem right on the greens so I am happy it’s rendered correctly. But is there a way to scale the course to get to the right yardages?

Also, the ball seems to be going further when I test hit. Is there a way to make sure the sea level and humidity are correctly set? I know this makes a difference using SkyTrak.

Thanks
          Phil
          You can mess with scorecard yardages by adjusting waypoints but I wouldn't bother. It's not worth the trouble.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          London Hunt Club L mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L