Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wavy cart path

Hi all,
    I'm about to publish a Lidar course and are cleaning up some odd looking cart paths. However, some of them remain wavy regardless what I'm trying. I can round, strech corners, add or delete wayponts. Some paths are perfectly straight, others, as in the picture remain wavy. I beleive, I have tried pretty much everything, so any hint is appreciated!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cart path.png
Views:	501
Size:	656.4 KB
ID:	321833
    Attached Files

Try the following to see if it helps: shortening the spline handles, and also removing any spline points that are not completely necessary

I had a case where some sections of my cart path look like sausages, with the cart path "strangled" in places. If I remember correctly, it was caused because I put too many spline points in OSM when doing the cart path, which translated into too many spline points in the tgc19 designer path. I removed spline points that were not completely necessary, and modified the length of the spline handles as needed. For example, in a straight line you don't need more spline points other than at the beginning and the end, and even in a gentle curve you can reproduce the curve with the length and angle of the spine handles.

Comment

This is your cart path being effected by things such as fairways and slopes
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
      Weston G&CC by mthunt
      London Hunt Club L mthunt
      Park CC Lidar mthunt
      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
      The National GC L mthunt
      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
      Markland Woods CC mthunt
      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
      Magna GC L mthunt
      Barrie CC L mthunt
      mthunt Range

Comment

Thanks for the hints!
        So far I had best results with deleting splines, however, some paths still remain wavy, even when they are perfectly flat, far from any bunkers, fairways, roughs etc. and with no unnecessary splines. I still have not found out a logic behind why some are perfectly straight, while others are not.

I would prefer to provide a nice looking course, including cartpaths, unless those flaws will anyway be ignored when playing the game as long as the course itself is nice to play? Thanks for your opinion!

Comment

What I have found out now is, that with a with of 1.7 yard that I'm working with, for some reason, some of the paths get wavy, others not. I tested this with a simple point to point line next to a wavy cart path on a flat area, far from any objects. Both paths are wavy with 1.7 yard. With increasing width, the waves disapear. With 2.5 yard, barely noticeable anymore.

Comment

• s0707
            s0707 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for this tip!!

If you've ever watched the Crazy Canuck videos, that's one of the things he would complain: wavy fairway edges in tgc2019. I think HB Studios listened to some of that, and they fixed it in TGC2k21, but of course, we don't have that version available for simulators...

But in reality, when you're playing in the simulator you don't really see cart paths; or I least, I don't; I just focus on how bad I'm hitting my shots... :-)

Your best bet is to mark the entire path with the measuring tool, delete all the original, and lay the path down again. That will normally clean it up.

Comment

.... mark and delete entire path . Thanks for the tip! Not really what I was looking for, but worth to try!

Is it somehow possible to break up a path in the designer, like in OSM? Otherwise, in the next project, I will spline shorter path segments in OSM, so deleting a path would have a smaller impact. Until now, I have splined as far as I could go ..........

Comment

Do you have to delete the old one? Couldn't you just lay down the wider one on top of the old. This would be easy.
              My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
              Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
              Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
              Boyne Moor Lidar
              BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
              CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
              Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
              Marco Island CC Lidar3
              Willow Metropark Lidar5
              Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
              Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
              Meadowbrook Northville (L)
              The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
              Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
              Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
              Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
              Ottumwa Country Club
              And Many More...

Comment

Widening the path and then laying it on top of the old path could be an alternative, however, in my layout, the wider path would interfere with bunkers, fairways trees etc., all done already :-(

I will probably flatten the wavy paths as good as possible and then publish as beta. Hoping you ignore the waves when playing :-)

Comment

• jpotas
                  jpotas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Odds are that the course is going to play great and people won't care if they are a little wavy. If the course elevations are true, and trees and hazards are placed correctly the course is perfect as far as I am concerned. Personally, once I start playing and concentrating on shot placement I don't even pay attention to all the little detail things that some designers put in their courses such as park benches and steps up to the tee boxes because they have no affect on the game. I don't bother with adding these types of details unless I am helping someone with a course. I play on my sim as a way to practice my ball striking.

After designing more than a hundred courses, I found out that any walking path that is wider than 1.7, looks ridiculous. It gives the impression that you can drive a tank down the "walking" path. Just my two sense

Comment

@ jpotas: Thank you for your help! I will pull the trigger later on, hope to find you having fun playing KGC
                  @ Lidar King: I have followed your advice to use walking path instead of cart path. It's definitely less bulkier.

I will publish the course in the "course discovery" directory, hoping for some feedback, what to improve.

Comment

@ jpotas: I did it .................

Comment

• jpotas
                      jpotas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can you post a before and after pic? Or an after pic of the area that you posted with the wavy path. I would like to see how it turned out.

Originally posted by kgcrob View Post
                    @ jpotas: I did it .................
                    jpotas, unfortunately, I was not able to improve that path at all, so I left it, sad but true. If you play Tee 14, from blue, it's the cart path to left. You will notice it best with the fly over. The waves dissapear at the first bend of the fairway. As you mentioned, it might not be noticable in the sim, but still kind of frustrating..........

Comment

Originally posted by kgcrob View Post

jpotas, unfortunately, I was not able to improve that path at all, so I left it, sad but true. If you play Tee 14, from blue, it's the cart path to left. You will notice it best with the fly over. The waves dissapear at the first bend of the fairway. As you mentioned, it might not be noticable in the sim, but still kind of frustrating..........
                      I’ve never had that happen but I have to think things like elevations and fairways are causing it. Splines don’t like each other. It could also be too many spline points or another spline causing it. Like maybe another path below it or another spline below it. If you want send me a copy and I’ll look at it. You can DM me a Dropbox link.
                      My Courses:
                      World Par 3's by mthunt
                      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                      Weston G&CC by mthunt
                      London Hunt Club L mthunt
                      Park CC Lidar mthunt
                      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                      The National GC L mthunt
                      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                      Markland Woods CC mthunt
                      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                      Magna GC L mthunt
                      Barrie CC L mthunt
                      mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

I’ve never had that happen but I have to think things like elevations and fairways are causing it. Splines don’t like each other. It could also be too many spline points or another spline causing it. Like maybe another path below it or another spline below it. If you want send me a copy and I’ll look at it. You can DM me a Dropbox link.
                        mthunt, I really appreciate your offer to look over it! I'm currently away from home and have no access to the files, but would be able to send it over next week. I think the file size would allow to send it via email?

Comment

Working...
                        X