Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Chris Stevens (GROSS) and @Joe_S (NET) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Travelers Championship!

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Rocket Mortgage Classic with 2 rounds at Royal Melbourne West (Pro Tee): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...rtgage-classic
See more
See less

Braeside - Lidar - Rockford, Michigan (Permanantly Closed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braeside - Lidar - Rockford, Michigan (Permanantly Closed)

This may be turning into a habit but I've preserved a bit of nostalgia (for me and a few buddies anyway) a middle of the road golf course in Rockford, Mi.(i've also resurrected Michigan courses Yarrow and Grand Rapids Golf White 9. Pilgrim's Run is my one course that's still opened!)

Braeside opened in 1981 and was closed in 2015. Never a great course but a good one...fun layout and greens were always decent. Was always a good value and a place we'd go pretty often because of that. $25 all you could play on Mondays...can't beat that.

The lidar data should be good except for holes 16-18. Construction had already started on a subdivision so some earth was moved. I reproduced the elevations from memory but think it's close enough. Should play pretty well on the simulator. Let me know if you give it a go. As always input is appreciated. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	braeside 12.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	225019

I always love seeing Michigan courses added. Especially Yarrow, i never got a chance to play that one IRL before it closed. Another member at TGC posted a few more MI courses recently as well.

Comment

Awesome. Thornapple creek golf course was a beautiful piece of property just north of kalamazoo. It closed too.

I miss yarrow but thanks to you it's still alive and well.

Comment

Nice!! Michigan courses are awesome. Can’t wait to try out some of the “resurrected” courses.
        -KillaCale8

Comment

I grew up playing this course. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. Thanks!

Comment

• Topcat
            Topcat commented
            Editing a comment
            You’re welcome! Let me know how it compares to your memories of the course.

Topcat - you're saying Pilgrim's Run is on TGC???? I'm about to start building my indoor sim setup and will buy Skytrak and TGC19. I live down on the south side of GR.

Comment

Yes it’s on TGC2019. Here’s a link to my previous post along with a few screen shots. It’s a Lidar version and elevations seem spot on.
            I've just published Pilgrim's Run, a personal favorite, about 30 minutes north of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm happy with the result and the accuracy of the elevations but would appreciate your feedback. This course is in the middle of nowhere with every hole islolated...no houses at all. It is a unique and fun layout. Enjoy!

Comment

Old thread but I'm new here. Love finding out about more Michigan courses, specifically West MI courses, and have been looking for more! Would really love to find the two "Thornapples"....the now defunct Thornapple Creek near Kalamazoo as mentioned above...And Thornapple Pointe located next to the Grand Rapids Airport, a fun local track that always plays well. If anyone knows where to find em, please let me know!

Cedar Chase in Cedar Springs and the Falls of Barber Creek in Kent City would be fun sim courses as well!

Comment

I’ve played most all of those including Thornapple Pointe last week. Haven’t played Thornapple Creek but know it’s closed. I’m not sure any of them are on TGC currently but maybe I’ll try and tackle them at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
                  I always love seeing Michigan courses added. Especially Yarrow, i never got a chance to play that one IRL before it closed. Another member at TGC posted a few more MI courses recently as well.
                  I have done several Michigan courses in Lidar. Willow and Lake Erie metroparks, as well as Boyne Athur Hills, and Wyandotte Shores (9 hole couse). I have multiple versions, as I improve I just increase the number so if you play one of them use the latest version. FYI, I don't worry about the parking lots, buildings, etc.....like some course designers I just concentrated on getting the playing areas correct.

I frequently play Willow and Lake Erie in real life and I think the Lidar RCR's are spot on, I know these two courses like the back of my hand.

Arhur Hills is a great course, lots of sand traps and elevation changes, if you have ever played the course for real you will appeciate number 13. It has the high elevated tee hitting out to a raised plataue that if you miss left the ball will roll into the number 12 fairway.
                  Last edited by jpotas; 04-22-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Played willow and lake erie a few times as well as wyandotte. It would have been great if Wyandotte could have got more land from riverview to make 18 holes. I heard Riverview didn't want them taking away play from their courses.

So what are the actual names in TGC of these? I want to get them added to my list.

Originally posted by jpotas View Post

I have done several Michigan courses in Lidar. Willow and Lake Erie metroparks, as well as Boyne Athur Hills, and Wyandotte Shores (9 hole couse). I have multiple versions, as I improve I just increase the number so if you play one of them use the latest version. FYI, I don't worry about the parking lots, buildings, etc.....like some course designers I just concentrated on getting the playing areas correct.

I frequently play Willow and Lake Erie in real life and I think the Lidar RCR's are spot on, I know these two courses like the back of my hand.

Arhur Hills is a great course, lots of sand traps and elevation changes, if you have ever played the course for real you will appeciate number 12. It has the high elevated tee hitting out to a raised plataue that if you miss left the ball will roll into the number 13 fairway.

Comment

I’m on a similar mission restoring Ann Arbor Country Club where I worked in high school and played hundreds of times many years ago. Found enough old lidar files and was able to mark it up in OSM, so now it’s just about planting (based on satellite photos and 20year old memories). Front nine is just about done.

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
                        Played willow and lake erie a few times as well as wyandotte. It would have been great if Wyandotte could have got more land from riverview to make 18 holes. I heard Riverview didn't want them taking away play from their courses.

So what are the actual names in TGC of these? I want to get them added to my list.

Their names are pretty straight forward in TGC. Willow Metropark Lidar5, Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2, Lake Erie Metropark Lidar3, and Wyandotte Shore Lidar2. Wyandotte shores is actually a very solid 9 holes, the greens and fairways were in oustanding condition the one and only time I played it which was last year. If they had 18 I would be there every week, that is the only reason why I did not go in the past and will probably go there on a limited basis in the future.

If you like a course with a ton of water check out Marco Island CC Lidar2.I played this course this last winter and loved it so I decided to recreate it. The real course name is Island Country Club, check out the website and take the course tour and you will appreciate what I mean by lots of water!!

Comment

Love the Hills course at Boyne...will have to check it out as well as the others. My current project is almost done....another defunct Grand Rapids Course, Centennial Country Club (LIDAR). Quirky and tight it was a converted exec course lengthened to a par 70. I was a member for several years and played it many, many times. It's where my son learned to play so it holds good memories for me. Definitely the most detail I've put in a course as there are many homes and condos. Sadly where the clubhouse and surrounding holes were is now a gigantic apartment complex. I'm about 90% done....you can always keep adding! Hard to know when to say done.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            Love the Hills course at Boyne...will have to check it out as well as the others. My current project is almost done....another defunct Grand Rapids Course, Centennial Country Club (LIDAR). Quirky and tight it was a converted exec course lengthened to a par 70. I was a member for several years and played it many, many times. It's where my son learned to play so it holds good memories for me. Definitely the most detail I've put in a course as there are many homes and condos. Sadly where the clubhouse and surrounding holes were is now a gigantic apartment complex. I'm about 90% done....you can always keep adding! Hard to know when to say done.
                            Looks great, nice detail. I did not bother with the parking lots or club houses, really just recreated the courses in order to play them. It is a really nice visual though, probably makes the view coming up those fairways closer to reality.
                            One thing that I don't like about making courses lined with homes is that I can never find similar homes in the game so I have to use the generic ones. Struggled with this on the Marco Island course because none of the game choices were even close to matching the real life homes.
                            Let me know when you publish it, I like trying the Michigan courses, we have some great ones.

Comment

Working...
                            X