Caves Valley GC (Members) - Home of the 2021 BMW Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caves Valley GC (Members) - Home of the 2021 BMW Championship

Designed by nationally acclaimed golf course architect Tom Fazio as "a golfer's club," Caves Valley is one of the few clubs in America focused solely on golf and golfer's needs. The course features 18 holes, each uniquely fashioned to suit the natural environment, as well as a comprehensive state-of-the-art practice facility which includes multiple practice ranges with sand bunkers, chipping greens and putting greens. https://www.cavesvalley.net/

--------------

I'm going to publish 2 versions of this. A members version and a tournament version. There are a couple reasons that I want to do 2. The first is because the PGA is flipping the front and back nine for the BMW and its not how the course normally plays. The second is because the resource meter is full and I want to get the tournament objects in there. I'll have to carefully remove objects to make room for the tournament objects, but it can be done.

The members version is published as 'Caves Valley GC (Members)'. I'll publish the tournament version after the real tournament so I can use all of that material as a reference. The course is private and there isn't a ton a pictures out there but I used everything I could find.

I played it last night with a friend and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't wait to play it again!

I'm looking forward to watching the tournament as well. Its the week before the tour championship so the field will be crazy good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	994
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	312383

Name:	02.png
Views:	1005
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	312371

Name:	03.png
Views:	988
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	312378

Name:	04.png
Views:	992
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	312379

Name:	06.png
Views:	990
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	312374

Name:	08.png
Views:	992
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	312375

Name:	09.png
Views:	1268
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	312370
    #12 Tee

Name:	12.1.png
Views:	1017
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	312377
    #12 Behind Green

Name:	12.2.png
Views:	1010
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	312376
    #14 Foreground, #15 Background

Name:	14&15.png
Views:	998
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	312380

Name:	17.png
Views:	1003
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	312382

Name:	18.png
Views:	995
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	312373

Attached Files
    My published courses:
    Musket Ridge Golf Club
    TPC Potomac (Avenel Farm)
    Worthington Manor G.C.
    Baltimore CC (East)
    Caves Valley Golf Club
    TPC Sawgrass - Stadium
    Lodestone Golf Club
    Pebble Beach Golf Links
    Myrtle Beach National - King's North

I know what I'm doing tonight. Thanks (as always!) EG$
    TGC2019 Courses:

A No Go Club Par 3 v4
    Blue Mash GC v3
    Columbia CC MD v3
    Hampshire Greens GC v3
    Hayfields CC v1
    Maryland National v2
    Needwood GC v2
    Newport National GC v3
    Norbeck CC MD v2
    Northwest GC v3
    PB Dye GC v4
    Raspberry Falls v1
    Rose Hill Golf Club v1
    Sligo Creek GC v2
    The Bad Little Nine v2
    Turf Valley Hialeah v2
    U of Maryland UMD v4
    Whiskey Creek MD v2

Comment

Played the (members) version. Very nice!

Comment

My league buddies and I played the front yesterday and back today. We really like the course design. Also, your TGC version is attractive to the eye. I was 2 under on the front until I got to the par 3 over the water. What a tough but fun hole. We also like the feel of the trees along all of the fairways--attractive and plenty wide enough so that good and marginal shots are safe--but penalizing for really bad shots. The 4 of us unanimously agreed to save Caves Valley as a favorite.
        Take a look at the tee box for # 12 from the 6300 yard tees. Something seems wrong with the graphics.
        Thanks for the great course. We'll be back to play it again soon.

Comment

I'm glad everyone is enjoying it! Its close to 50% favorited after playing it, and that's the best compliment to a designer.

I'm obviously biased but this course is awesome! It translates perfectly to the sim. No ultra slopey greens, perfect tee distance mix, a good mix of pin locations, and its a beautiful property. You have to hit good shots to score well. I've played it 3 times so far and every time I finish a round I immediately want to try and improve on the last score. I'm coming for that course record!

Paoil I'm glad you and your group enjoyed it enough to want to play it again. You also perfectly described my intentions with the trees and I'm very happy to hear that its playing out that way. I finally found a good tree border technique that I'll use with these types of courses from now on. I went back to look at 12 from the white tees which are the 6360 yard length but couldn't find anything. Maybe your GPU had a little artifacting hiccup? Not sure. See below. If you see it again on your next play through, let me know. I was hoping it wasn't something I missed blending a retaining wall and the landscaping. That can be a challenge to get to look right sometimes but doesn't seem to be the case here .

Name:	12_WT.png
Views:	722
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	313742
          Attached Files
          My published courses:
          Musket Ridge Golf Club
          Worthington Manor G.C.
          Baltimore CC (East)
          Caves Valley Golf Club
          TPC Sawgrass - Stadium
          Lodestone Golf Club
          Pebble Beach Golf Links

Comment

Played it yesterday and absolutely enjoyed it! Great work!

Comment

Looking forward to playing it with my son today!

Comment

Great courses. How did you take the pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Duxbury2002 View Post
                  Great courses. How did you take the pictures?
                  As a new designer I'm interested in learning how folks here generate screenshots of their courses for sharing online. I think it would be easiest in the game's designer (best options of angles, zoom, etc.) but then course details like way points, hole lines, and the editor UI are included. I ended up using my Print Screen
                  TGC2019 Courses:

A No Go Club Par 3 v4
                  Blue Mash GC v3
                  Columbia CC MD v3
                  Hampshire Greens GC v3
                  Hayfields CC v1
                  Maryland National v2
                  Needwood GC v2
                  Newport National GC v3
                  Norbeck CC MD v2
                  Northwest GC v3
                  PB Dye GC v4
                  Raspberry Falls v1
                  Rose Hill Golf Club v1
                  Sligo Creek GC v2
                  The Bad Little Nine v2
                  Turf Valley Hialeah v2
                  U of Maryland UMD v4
                  Whiskey Creek MD v2

Comment

Just played it. Really great job!
                    My courses:
                    Aldeen
                    Butler National
                    Cantigny
                    Canyata
                    Cog Hill #4
                    Harbor Shores
                    Harborside
                    Naperville Country Club
                    Prairie Landing
                    Rich Harvest Farms
                    Ruffled Feathers
                    Shoreacres

Comment

Great job, on musket as well.

Comment

The post BMW rework is complete. It took a lot longer than I thought it would because they changed so much of the course for the tournament.

The list of their changes are below:
                        * Added tee boxes to extend the overall course length by 500 yards (Tips now play closer to 7500)
                        * Redid every bunker on the course
                        * Swapped the front and back 9
                        * Rerouted the creek and added several waterfalls on 9 (tournament hole 18)
                        * Reduced the width of all fairways
                        * Removed some of the fairway areas leading up to and around the greens (best example of this is on 14 (tournament hole 5)
                        * Removed the front greenside retaining wall on 4 (tournament hole 13)
                        * Removed various trees that were in play throughout the course

The list of refinements that I did to make the course better are below:
                        * I used the yardage book to ensure all of the greens matched the real life slopes
                        * I removed the stone wall on 8 (tournament hole 17) and rebuilt the wall by placing individual rocks which looks A LOT better
                        * Moved the pin locations to spots they used in the tournament (I guessed on the majority of the pins for the first iteration because they wasn't a lot of pictures to use for reference)

Published name is: Caves Valley - Stadium

The course was already good, but after the changes and refinements I'd put it up there with the work I did on Sawgrass.

The revised version without the tournament objects will also be published soon. I just need to make a few changes.

Updated screenshots of the closing holes with all of the crowd seating are below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)13.png Views:	10 Size:	392.0 KB ID:	345206
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)14.png Views:	9 Size:	421.4 KB ID:	345207
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)15.png Views:	10 Size:	439.6 KB ID:	345204
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)16.png Views:	9 Size:	381.9 KB ID:	345199
                        17 Tee
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)17_Tee.png Views:	10 Size:	432.9 KB ID:	345205
                        17 Green
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)17_Green.png Views:	10 Size:	516.4 KB ID:	345201
                        18 Tee
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)18_Tee.png Views:	10 Size:	519.7 KB ID:	345202
                        18 Green
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	(Revised)18_Green.png Views:	9 Size:	462.9 KB ID:	345200

Enjoy!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by EG$; 10-12-2021, 08:50 PM.
                        My published courses:
                        Musket Ridge Golf Club
                        Worthington Manor G.C.
                        Baltimore CC (East)
                        Caves Valley Golf Club
                        TPC Sawgrass - Stadium
                        Lodestone Golf Club
                        Pebble Beach Golf Links

Comment

• chrisward3
                          chrisward3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          played it 2 nights ago from the tips...what a workout! Really enjoyed this version (and the original version as well)

• EG$
                          EG$ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          chrisward3 - You are a braver than I am. I'd be hitting a lot of mid irons into the greens from the tips.

• chrisward3
                          chrisward3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It was 18 holes of hitting bombs (not always straight). Lots of long irons into the greens. A lot of "reaching". Was a fun challenge!

This is really cool to see. As someone that lives north of Baltimore, I’ll be playing this one soon and hopefully in real life at some point.

Comment

• Brettster
                          Brettster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cool Godfather - let us know how it compares to IRL, the design looks great EG$

• EG$
                          EG$ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If you get the opportunity to get on the course, absolutely take it and invite me! The club sounds pretty exclusive, 600 members total, and all of them loaded with prominent positions in corporate America. I might book a lesson with Najar just to look at it!

• Brettster
                          Brettster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          EG$ - exactly what I love about TGC2019 Course Designer and having so many great designers putting up exclusive courses like this - that I know I will never get to play IRL. Just makes it so much more incredible! Can't wait to finish my Sim setup and give Caves Valley a try. Thanks again.

The new regular version (no tournament objects) has been published. Published name is 'Caves Valley Golf Club'. The correct version is a picture of the signature hole (par 3 12th) looking down on the green from the tee boxes.
                        My published courses:
                        Musket Ridge Golf Club
                        Worthington Manor G.C.
                        Baltimore CC (East)
                        Caves Valley Golf Club
                        TPC Sawgrass - Stadium
                        Lodestone Golf Club
                        Pebble Beach Golf Links

Comment

FANTASTIC - Played this this weekend and absolutely loved the course. GREAT JOB!

Comment

Working...
                          X