TGC2019 vs real golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC2019 vs real golf

The more I play sim golf, the less I want to play real golf. Sim golf just faster pace I am done with a round in 45 minutes solo 1hour 15 with 2 some. Real golf 8 am tee time is a 6 hour ordeal and i am drained when I get home so essentially it is a all day event. Lately sim golf is just more enjoyable. Anyone else feel this way?

Unfortunately yes. I did play outdoors today with 3 others. The indoor golf travels nicely outdoors. We named it Bob Chung disease awhile back.

Comment

I hardly play golf outdoors anymore...I love the speed and flexibility of sim golf.

Comment

After spending 5K on my set up I also find it hard to pay premium summer prices. Garage golf baby
        -KillaCale8

Comment

I agree, too. I hated slow play on the course before I got my simulator setup. Now I like it even less. And I also tend to play better indoors than outdoors, so unfortunately the experience hasn't translated well for me. Either way, I'm glad to have my SkyTrak, and will continue to play outdoors, even if the experience has been dampened a bit for me.

Comment

Trickle......agree 100% ....word for word...

Comment

There's no substitute for the real thing. lol
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Burlington G&CC by mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              London Hunt Club L mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              Sunningdale GC Robinson L
              Sunningdale GC Thompson L
              Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
              Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
              The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                Wizard of Coz commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes im finding it as a better substitute. Im miffed did i just say that?
                Last year i played 87 rounds of golf outdoors.
                This year ive played 11 and im a member of the muni here 36 holes and 2 separate 9s.

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear ya. I love the sim too. Love grass more.

I'm definitely the same way with indoor golf. Buddies give me a lot of s**t, but it's just so much more convenient and the tournaments keep the competitive spirit going. I'm at that in between age that it's tough to hang with the younger long ball guys anymore, but hope to get back more into competitive outdoor golf in a couple years when I hit 50 and I'm the young guy again

Comment

• trhuke
                trhuke commented
                Editing a comment
                "when I hit 50 and I'm the young guy again

What does turning 50 get you?? Senior tees or something? Does 65 get something else (said the old guy) Or mthunt's Canadian 55?

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                At 49 you compete against 20 year olds. At 50 you compete against 60 year olds.

• BSCampbell
                BSCampbell commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly mthunt. The 20yr olds or even the 25yr olds in the mid-am divisions are out of my league these days. 50 gets you up a set of tees and changes your competition to 50 and older in a lot of local and state events.

I still prefer outdoor golf to sim golf. I enjoy sim golf and I don't have the time to play as many rounds during the week with work and family responsibilities. Sim golf lets me play more often but if given the choice will always choose outdoor golf. Something about walking the course just makes it better. Real golf is also a lot harder and I like the challenge. I play much better sim golf than real golf. It's nice having a perfect flat lie with every shot.

Comment

• trhuke
                trhuke commented
                Editing a comment
                " It's nice having a perfect flat lie with every shot."

Ain't that the truth! I got my SkyTrak late last fall, played it all winter, and when I hit the real course this spring I kept thinking, "What's with all these lumps and stuff under my feet dammit?"
                I do plan on installing an escape, down arrow and enter key on my golf bag though, for those pesky bad hits... ;-)

NO bugs, no rain, no sunburn, no watching a foursome of codgers take 20 minutes to putt then go to the next tee and stand around gossiping for 5 minutes before ONE of them tees off. Beers or other beverages are a few steps away and don't cost $4 per can. OH, and TEMPERATURE controlled, I gotta say I don't miss playing in 90 degree temps with 90% humidity and feel like a wrung out dish rag for the rest of the day. You don't have to drive through traffic. And so on....

Oh, and for hay fever sufferers.....

And you don't have to pay $50 for the privilege of of doing all that....

I do miss real life chipping and putting though, SkyTrak/TGC is really terrific but the putting and chipping don't quite measure up and probably never will compared to the rest of the game.

note: I wonder if the ability to do a choosable height, 360 circle view/orbit of the green would make getting a feel the contours for putting/chipping closer to the real thing?
              Last edited by trhuke; 07-08-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I love my simulator and it has given me so much more confidence with my golf swing. The only problem is that I can hit rounds in the 70s on my simulator and I have yet to do that in real life. It teases/toys with me and gives me a false sense of hope. The rough is really penal in real life, but on the simulator it's just a math problem. Uneven lies are another issue that the simulator doesn't reproduce. I think it would be so cool to produce a platform on hydraulics that reads the slope of the terrain and shifts the platform to the exact same angle as the turf in the game. I'm sure it could be done, but that would be high tech. I will say that it has helped me immensely to understand my exact carry distances which helps with club selection on the real course so all in all I think it has been great. Lastly, it's hard to substitute real putting and chipping in a simulator. There is nothing like the real feeling of being on and around a real life green.

Comment

• Trickle007
                  Trickle007 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sims made me a better putter and chipper

• bk1106
                  bk1106 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The 10+ stroke disparity is real and only widens further as you get better at sim. I carry a range finder as well as a GPS map to facilitate better linkage with sim. As far as IRL plays, I would be in haven if I can chip like sim 50% of the time or putt like sim 20% of the time.

• Gresh12
                  Gresh12 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I’m in the minority as I score better outdoors than on my sim. I really can’t putt at all on sim but I putt quite well outdoors.

There is nothing worse then getting in a groove out in the real course only to catch the 4 some in front of you and have to wait 5plus minutes each shot. At that point your 4 some becomes very irritated and complaining and the rest of the round is no longer about golf but complaining about the 4 some in front of you. Takes me right out of my game.

Comment

• BSCampbell
                  BSCampbell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  chriscwhite I believe putting/putting strokes can be improved with skytrak. I feel like I've just focused on hitting the putts solid more consistently which helps your speed on the game and on the course. Obviously green reading is a different ball game but if you can improve your strike and speed it can benefit you.

• calebm1001
                  calebm1001 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hitting more putts, whether at a cup or a hole, will always benefit you over hitting no putts at all.

• Trickle007
                  Trickle007 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It just repetition chriscwhite, like the others had said I just have a better feel for my putter which increases my confidence.

Hitting more putts with a purpose can help. I spot putt so it definitely helps with me being able get it rolling on the proper line and I have noticed that outside.

Comment

My simulator has helped me a lot with distance control inside 100 yards. My buddies joke that I golf outside like an instrument pilot: by the number. I actually get out my laser range finder inside 30 yards from the pin. 😛

Comment

I'm with you, Trickle007 ! I haven't played IRL since Labor Day! No, I don't mean Memorial Day two months ago, I played at Fort Jackson last Labor Day.

Comment

Working...
                    X