Just Getting Started - Gaming Laptop Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Getting Started - Gaming Laptop Help

First time poster so go easy on me I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and got the bug. I'm in the process of completing a build in a insulated metal barn so space isn't an issue. We're in Texas so it will get pretty hot but we have fans and are exploring a window unit to help with the heat. To date, we've ordered or acquired the following:
    • Skytrak (ebay)
    • TrueStrike Double Hitting Mat (ebay)
    • 16:9 7'7" x 13' Hitting Enclosure (Carl's Place)
    • BenQ TH671ST (existing purchase)
    I was pretty stoked to find a Skytrak and the hitting mat for $3,100 shipped from a guy in Austin. Now it's time to figure out my laptop solution. Given the heat, I don't really want to leave a PC outside so I'm in the market for a gaming laptop that will run TGC19 without any issues on my 1080p projector. I've seen a number of posts about this but it's a bit overwhelming when I get to the graphics cards. I'm looking for the best bang for your buck with a budget of $800-1,000. It seems that Intel is preferred to AMD but I see mixed feedback on this. Here are a few deals that I've found...There are laptop deals everyday but I'm looking for one that will run TGC19 seamlessly. We don't currently have plans to upgrade to a 4K projector but should we decide to, I know the Acer Predator could handle it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

The one I like the most is that Acer predator. If it actually comes with a 1080, thats a good place to be for a GPU.After that, I'd go with the Lenovo Legion. I'd say no to the Dell and the Samsung. Both do not have what I would consider acceptable GPUs.

Comment

You're precisely the guy I was hoping would comment. I was a little nervous about it being open box and missing a letter key but the discount off of retail is substantial.

Comment

• SkeetShooter
        SkeetShooter commented
        Editing a comment
        Its really hard to pass up a 1080... That is a great GPU there. The only other comparable newer gen (RTX) gpu is a 2060... If you found a laptop at that price with a 2060, i'd go the 2060 route (purely because of the processing power and newer gen architecture. The 1080 has almost 600 more CUDA cores over a 2060. My 2070 is pretty much comparable to a 1080, but yeah. I can't see a reason to not go with that Acer. You can always get a bluetooth keyboard.

Welcome.

Just remember that 2.8GHz is the minimum to run TGC2019. 3.2GHz is recommended. I agree on the Acer being the best from that list.

Are these all new laptops? There's a huge market for used and refurbished gaming laptops from reputable sellers that offer some more bang for your buck over a new one. Worth looking into if you haven't yet.

If you did go the desktop route, the only thing you'd have to carry in and out would be the tower. Keyboard and mouse could probably stay. So carrying a tower vs. carrying a laptop is only a minimal difference really. And if your keyboard and mouse were wireless, you would just be plugging in the projector (which you would be doing with the laptop anyway) and possibly the USB from the Skytrak and a power cord.

How's your WiFi service in the barn?

Comment

• ThatBisonDude
        ThatBisonDude commented
        Editing a comment
        Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Predator. I'll head over to MicroCenter this weekend and pick it up. Next steps, get the software all set up before the enclosure arrives.

• 3on3putt
        3on3putt commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I've never had so much fun blowing all of my money than I did on building my sim haha. Welcome to the club.

• ThatBisonDude
        ThatBisonDude commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an addictive personality so when I start something like this, it usually consumes me in a mostly healthy way Already picked up the laptop and it's in pristine condition. The listing said "missing letter T key" but it's there and works great. Hoping to get the enclosure assembled next week so we can start enjoying it. Appreciate all the good feedback!
    Working...
    X