Just used TGC2019 for the first time - 5 to 7 putts on almost every holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just used TGC2019 for the first time - 5 to 7 putts on almost every holes

I hope this is not the norms and can someone explains to me what happened? My golf simulator is missing a roof so I just want to take it easy and played an 18 hole par 3 course calls "Par 3 Kids..." with distances ranging from 35 yards to 90 yards. The pitching and chipping distances were very accurate. However, the putting was atrocious and I needed 5 to 7 putts on almost every hole. The pin placement is usually at a severely sloped part of the greens and the speed of the greens was like putting on glass. There were three holes that I putted closed to the hole within inches but because I missed it rolled back 20 feet. After a lot of frustration I just concede the holes after hitting the greens.

I have a few questions:
    1) Can I set up a gimme distance?
    2) Can I reduce the speed of the greens?
    3) Can I skip putting altogether in the game?

1) yes
    2) yes
    3) yes......

Once you open the game " Settings" " Gameplay" scroll down until you see Gimme.....

Hover over Gimme to see what each setting does.

When you first open up TGC 2019.... instead of clicking on start game, click on settings. You can edit that file to decrease the speed of the greens.... Also, you can change the speeds on the course before you begin your round.... in "change course conditions"

What sim are you running?

Comment

You will see 2 icons on your desktop. One loads the game. The other is labeled "tgc settings" or something like that. Open that one and turn down the green speed and stimp numbers. The lower the number the slower they will be. If you're using a skytrak, turn on the straight putting patch.

Then in the game itself, go to settings (before starting the round) and change the green speed. Tournaments are generally played on moderate speed but you can go slower than that until you get the hang of it.

It sounds like you were also playing a course with some goofy greens. Try some other courses. Choose courses with good star ratings and a lot of plays and you shouldn't encounter silly stuff like that.

Comment

• BostonGolfer
        BostonGolfer commented
        Editing a comment
        I am using the Mevo + and set the straight putting to "ON" per the TGC 2019 setup instructions. Should I not have that on? Thanks!

• 3on3putt
        3on3putt commented
        Editing a comment
        BostonGolfer -- if you're using Mevo I don't think it matters because I think the straight putting patch only applies to Skytrak (and perhaps other camera units). It sounds like you just picked a bad course to play. Because the game allows anyone to design and upload a course, it has a large number of poorly designed ones with silly greens and pin positions. Have you since tried playing a more legit course? And did it get any better?

I think I tried that same course. The greens were extremely sloped around the hole. If you miss the put it rolls 20ft away. Try a real course, most are not like that

Comment

As others have said, bad courses that were not made with simulator in mind can have impossible to make putts. Sounds like you found one of those courses and you'll learn to avoid them. Nothing you can do, no worries.

That being said, there is definitely a learning curve to reading the greens in the game and it doesn't really translate from actual golf. But give it a shot on some real courses before you give up on it.

Comment

I have a league at my house using QED Uneekor and TGC 2019. The thing it takes most to get used to is definitely the putting. We set it to slow green speed, that way you don't get big roll outs. We also set the green firmness to very soft. That seems to be the most realistic to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent628 View Post
            I have a league at my house using QED Uneekor and TGC 2019. The thing it takes most to get used to is definitely the putting. We set it to slow green speed, that way you don't get big roll outs. We also set the green firmness to very soft. That seems to be the most realistic to us.
            Just wondering about the league you have at your house...Are the other players all local users? Do they have their own accounts that tracks their stats, if so how did you do that? Or do they just use a guest account that doesn't keep track of their stats?
            Thanks!

Comment

• fortner28
              fortner28 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a some friends in the neighborhood and if we all wanted to play league play is it possible that they can setup profiles and save them and they can track their stats as well or can they only play as guess and not be counted in league play?

• Brent628
              Brent628 commented
              Editing a comment
              All local guys. I have tee times about 4 days a week. We have 20 playing and it goes pretty smooth. I handle all the handicaps off line just as you would in real life. We vote on courses each week to play. 9 holes a week.. everyone puts $5 a week in.. $2.50 of it goes to the weekly winner and $2.50 goes to the end of year skins game in which the top 4 scorers are playing. It’s been a lot of fun.

Thank you for your responses. I will pick better courses and try to adjust the putting conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by khalespace View Post
              I hope this is not the norms and can someone explains to me what happened? My golf simulator is missing a roof so I just want to take it easy and played an 18 hole par 3 course calls "Par 3 Kids..." with distances ranging from 35 yards to 90 yards. The pitching and chipping distances were very accurate. However, the putting was atrocious and I needed 5 to 7 putts on almost every hole. The pin placement is usually at a severely sloped part of the greens and the speed of the greens was like putting on glass. There were three holes that I putted closed to the hole within inches but because I missed it rolled back 20 feet. After a lot of frustration I just concede the holes after hitting the greens.
              As others have mentioned, sounds like you got a bad one...Generally gimme's in sim golf are set between 4-6 feet (6 feet in TGC 2019). Also, it will help to look for courses that were built with Lidar (often in the name of the course as "Lidar" or "L"). You will soon accumulate a list of "Favorites" (You can tag them as favorites after your round).

Good luck!
              --
              What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Comment

I had the same problem. Can someone explain the gimme options? Ideally I’d love to set it up where it’s an auto two stroke 10 yards from the hole on the green, and 1 stroke within 5 yards.

I thought I would set gimme to distance and then adjust gimme 2 and gimme 1 but not sure that worked. and how can I make that change so that it’s the default for now?

Also not sure what happens if you are 4 yards away but just off the green. Thx!

Comment

• Celeras
                  Celeras commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have it right, set gimme to distance like you said

Originally posted by Sp913 View Post
                I had the same problem. Can someone explain the gimme options? Ideally I’d love to set it up where it’s an auto two stroke 10 yards from the hole on the green, and 1 stroke within 5 yards.

I thought I would set gimme to distance and then adjust gimme 2 and gimme 1 but not sure that worked. and how can I make that change so that it’s the default for now?

Also not sure what happens if you are 4 yards away but just off the green. Thx!
                GIMMIE - Anything inside 6 feet is good and outside you have to putt
                ON GREEN - Anything inside 6 feet is good and anything on green outside of 6 is 2 putt auto
                DISTANCE - distance 1 is for auto 1 putt and distance 2 is auto 2 putt. Outside you have to puttt
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                London Hunt Club L mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

• GullLakeMi
                  GullLakeMi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And when using “gimme” it automatically applies 6 foot range and ignores the distance meters. The distance meters are applicable when “distance” is selected.

• mthunt
                  mthunt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Isn’t that what I said?

• Milhaus5050
                  Milhaus5050 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  is there a way to increase that 6ft distance of the putt being 1 stroke, up to 9 or 10 feet? just looking to speed up the game.

My mevo putting seems to be too slow. I'm about 10 feet away from my screen but feel like I need to hit a 30 foot putt to make it. I've heard and seen on other user's TGC 2019 setups where the greens are "like glass" as indicated above. Is this a Mevo+ thing or a TGC 2019 most likely? I seem to be able to hold greens ok on approach and chips, etc, but putting seems too slow. Clearly the stimp of my mats is more than either the Mevo is able to interpret or the TGC 2019 software is able to translate.

What I don't want is to increase the stimp of the greens in TGC 2019 only to not be able to hold the greens on approaches. Any thoughts?

(Maybe I should be starting a new thread...?)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowproblem View Post
                  My mevo putting seems to be too slow. I'm about 10 feet away from my screen but feel like I need to hit a 30 foot putt to make it. I've heard and seen on other user's TGC 2019 setups where the greens are "like glass" as indicated above. Is this a Mevo+ thing or a TGC 2019 most likely? I seem to be able to hold greens ok on approach and chips, etc, but putting seems too slow. Clearly the stimp of my mats is more than either the Mevo is able to interpret or the TGC 2019 software is able to translate.

What I don't want is to increase the stimp of the greens in TGC 2019 only to not be able to hold the greens on approaches. Any thoughts?

(Maybe I should be starting a new thread...?)
                  What are your settings for stimp and green speed?

Comment

• Snowproblem
                    Snowproblem commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stimp is 4 and green speed 3

• 3on3putt
                    3on3putt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Snowproblem -- You might be a bit low on those. The stimp setting of 7 is equal to a real life stimp of about 10. Also, what are you setting the green speeds to for the courses you play? (very slow, slow, moderate, fast or very fast). Check to see that your settings are not on slow.

Lastly, you're not the first person to report having to hit the ball very hard when putting with a Mevo. Mevo has a number of issues with putting.

• Snowproblem
                    Snowproblem commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the tips. They did help!
                Working...
                X