Driving Range vs Course Distances Different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Range vs Course Distances Different

Hi all. I've gone through all of the threads to back before the beginning of the year and did some searches, but couldn't find an answer to my issue. I spent half a day statting all my club distances to record an average carry and total distance for each club using the TGC2019 driving range. I then searched and played a few different par 3 courses and some club distances were off by 35+ yards and we're talking AW/PW/9i, so 35+ yards is a huge difference.

Anyone experience this? Is this a setting thing or possibly something with the course creation? I played multiple courses to try and eliminate course creation settings. BTW, I'm using a SkyTrak, if that matters at all. I haven't gotten around to using the ST driving range to contrast and compare, but I wouldn't think that would matter if I'm using the TGC2019 driving range and then play a few par 3 courses on TGC2019.

Quick example: 1st hole is 122 yds to pin, flat hole, no wind. Perfect 9 iron shot for me, as it carries 119. I swing, make solid contact and the shot carries 85 yards. I rewind and try again a few more times and all go about the same. So I go up two clubs and land it right on the green pin high, even though my 7i carries 139. Sometimes it only varies by 10 yards, but very frustrating to spend so much time figuring out and recording yardages for each club on the driving range and then to go out and play and have those references mean absolutely nothing. I will say that all of my short game shots were dead on to what I recorded on the chipping range, so I was very happy about that.

Thoughts?

Yes, I have this problem with my 6 iron and hybrid clubs (but, curiously, not 5 iron). 6 iron goes about 25 yards farther in the game than on the range. The range is the accurate distance. The SkyTrak range is extremely accurate BTW and exactly matches my real life distances.

Comment

Possible culprit: if only some of your clubs are boosted via settings file then perhaps during game play the default chosen club is causing the issue.

Example: Driver 10% boost, Irons 10% boost, Wedges 0% boost. That 121 in-game shot is probably a PW so no boost is applied. On most driving ranges Driver is default club, so when you hit PW on the range you get a 10% boost
      TGC2019 Courses:

A No Go Club Par 3 v4
      Blue Mash GC v3
      Columbia CC MD v3
      Hampshire Greens GC v3
      Hayfields CC v1
      Maryland National v2
      Needwood GC v2
      Newport National GC v3
      Norbeck CC MD v2
      Northwest GC v3
      PB Dye GC v4
      Raspberry Falls v1
      Rose Hill Golf Club v1
      Sligo Creek GC v2
      The Bad Little Nine v2
      Turf Valley Hialeah v2
      U of Maryland UMD v4
      Whiskey Creek MD v2

Comment

The only time I've had anything like that happen I was in an online tournament and in the middle of the round my 3 wood and drive seemed to be going 25 - 30 yds shorter than normal, I thought maybe I had cracked the golf ball but couldn't see anything wrong with it, so got frustrated, exited the game and started the TGC driving range - sure enough the distance was shorter there as well, I made some practice swings freeing up my swing and the distance came back. I went back to the tournament and finished my round with no more issues. not saying that's what's going on, just my experience. In general I have found the skytrak range and TGC to be very accurate for the most part. Hope you get it figured out.

Comment

35 yards is way too much, but the TGC2019 range is slightly downhill. So it should be slightly longer in there.

What's missing from this post is what your LM (SkyTrak, right?) is saying. Any difference in the game is chalked up to conditions and the algorithm.. but you haven't even confirmed that your LM is giving the same numbers in both the range and the course. That is honestly the only thing that matters and you shouldn't even be looking at TGC numbers until you confirm that. If your LM says 120 in both the range and the course, and THEN TGC is saying 80 ONLY on the course.... then we can circle back and try to figure that out for you.

The second reply regarding boost seems like the only explanation for this large of a difference. What is your account name in TGC so we can look at the shot history?
          Last edited by Celeras; 08-27-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your input, as I certainly appreciate it. Just a quick update, as I haven't had the time to go through all of my clubs in the ST range to verify, but I did run through all four of my wedges and nothing was off more than 10 yards, so hoping that is in indicator that the rest of my clubs will fall into that range as well. I did play a couple of MTHunt's courses and didn't experience the huge difference in yardages as previously experienced on other courses, so that's something to note.

When I get some more free time, I run through the rest of my clubs on the ST range to check the yardages against the TGC2019 range. I also try out a few other courses and see what I find as well. I'll post an update when I do. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X