Uneekor - QED System - My Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneekor - QED System - My Review

My system arrived on Friday and I have now had a full day exploring and playing on the system. My short review is that I am blown away by this system. For those interested, I have written down some of my thoughts below because I know there are a lot of guys looking at this system. I will try not to ramble, but here goes.

Purchase Process From the very beginning, Doug Bybee has been a 1st class guy to deal with. Everything he has promised...price...product availability....features, etc has been met as promised. I paid what he said would be the price as stated at the PGA show. My unit shipped as promise and Doug even upgraded to FedEX overnight (at his expense) just to make sure I got the unit for the long 3 day weekend. He has brought on board Austin as the main technical support guy and I can tell you he too is 1st class all the way. These guys are excited about their product and it shows.

Installation. Physically installing the system took about 45 minutes and software about 30 minutes. The only hiccup I had was a bad IP address that was preventing the unit from communicating with the PC. One call to Austin fixed that and Austin said," hey, while I'm online with your computer do you want me to install everything?" Naturally I said yes, and within 1.5 hours of arriving home I had a fully functioning system. Here is a video of my sim room with the new Uneekor.

Hardware. As far as the system itself, I can find no fault. My buddy and I have played over 36 holes of golf and have had 0 "no reads " and 0 "mis-reads". I am still amazed at the technology that allows the 2 cameras to render the the ball in 3D. How they can get the shot of the club going through the ball with cameras that are 3.5 feet behind the golfer is mystifying to me. I agree with others who have tested the system side by side with trackman and GC2 that the Uneekor is on par with them if not better. I say better because in addition to the data, you get recorded, visual verification. Now the truly exceptional area that I like the most is in the putting and chipping. The system reads putts perfectly and when chipping will easily pick up flop shots, knock down shots,etc. I did a short video on putting to try and demonstrate.

Software. My take on the software is broken down into 2 areas. As far as practice, the Uneekor software is far and away the best I have played. The driving range includes a putting green and chipping area where you can move the ball around and setup any shot you like. In addition, there is a module called Short Game Complex which is super. It has 2 areas, a practice area where again, you can setup any shot you like and a game based drill that you play and try to get the highest scrore.....really fun and keeps you interested. Finally, in addition, there is a "practice mode" where you can go to any of your courses, any hole you want, and setup any shot you want....complete flexibility.

Also, another thing I like about the way they have built the system is the redundancy of data. By that I mean that you can get all the shot data, the camera through impact view, and the swing analysis in all of the above areas I have talked about....putting green, driving range, short game complex, and even the club fitting software which I did not get into very much. Here is a video I did of the Short Game Complex.

There is still much about the software that I have not gotten into.....but I have not seen any red flags or problems.

Now the 2nd area regarding software is the simulation or game playing. Specifically, let's compare to TGC2019. Honestly, there are some things the Uneekor home courses have that I wish would be brought into TGC 2019 like rough and sand play (penalties are stated on screen and are real), However, there are some things missing like hole flyover, multiple view angles, etc. As far as online tournaments and playing with others, they are not present in Uneekor system.

The good news is that within a couple of weeks, Uneekor will be integrated with TGC 2019. Here is another reason I like Doug and his group. Instead of just joining the other mfgs. and taking the easy road by using the ProTee interface, Uneekor has built their own interface directly with the HB Studies SDK which I believe will allow almost 0 shot delay. I have not been told this but it is only my opinion at this point.

Future Technology The last thing I want to point out is what will be happening over the next year or two. Doug has told me that there are many future enhancements in the works. Remember, this is not a beta product, it is a new translated product, but there are hundreds if not thousands of units out there. The Korean units already have auto-tees, moveable floor mats, rough/sand hitting mats, and much more. In fact, I believe the QED mobile app will be available soon so that you can access your data anywhere. Here is a link from the European Distributor.

Finally, one of the first things you notice when you start the system is a box that lists any updates that were ran or need to be ran. Again, they have built into the system a way to push out firmware updates, etc. automatically. Austin told me that as long as I leave my unit connected to the internet, he will push out updates, etc as they happen. Again, these people do things right......

Sorry for rambling guys...but just so much stuff to report on. Let me know what you want to see and I will try to answer all requests as soon as I can.

Nice reviews Gene, got to say I was really excited when this popped up at the PGA show and was definitely on my radar as a replacement for my Skytrak. However looking at the European prices it's well out of my price range now, works out about £7,500 for the base package and not far off £9000 for the top package(without delivery) so dollar wise around $9,500 and $11,300. I blame Brexit

Comment

Yeah, I see a lot of complaints from you guys over there and Australia about the higher cost of these systems.

Comment

• frankiepap39
        frankiepap39 commented
        Editing a comment
        we get punished big time living in australia for almost everything, but especially electronics... look at best buy website for a TV than compare it to a price here in australia... it puts almost every simulator out of price range for the average guy.

gene438 In the ingnite software, does it list carry anywhere or is it only total?

Comment

• gene438
        gene438 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, you get carry, run out, and total.....

gene438 Nevermind, I found another video of yours where you state that you can select what you want to show from the physics panel. Very close to joining you in owning one of these. At this point, it's just waiting for the official TGC integration.

Comment

• gene438
        gene438 commented
        Editing a comment
        Your wait is over

I can't wait for the intergration as well. Will be awesome to put a beating on Foresight, with their obstinacy re: using other software. Forget the GC Hawk and Quad.

Comment

Did they provide you a pattern to mark the balls with?

Comment

• gene438
          gene438 commented
          Editing a comment
          No.... you get 2 dozen balls with unit

Gene, can you customize the gameplay elements like turning off that cursor and make the ball have a trail like in the fitting software in your above video?
        I like how the courses look but it looks a bit video game ish with the little cursor and stuff going on. Would be awesome to have that fitting.video layout while on course with the apex and distance showing the same way as above ...

Comment

• gene438
          gene438 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not yet but I am told that a manual is coming with all the short cuts and settings explained.... but I have not found features such as hole flyover, green flyover, etc.

• Jwheels9876
          Jwheels9876 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the reply. Seems like they are very open to ideas also from customers. If they are, it may be the monitor to beat in the next year or so for people who don't need portability

I had to read every comment bc this is very exciting. I only saw 1 comment about price, which looks promising to someone wanting to get a GC2 (comparable), but I didn't see anything about release dates in the US. Is there any word on that?
        -KillaCale8

Comment

• Jwheels9876
          Jwheels9876 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's already available in limited quantities I believe

• Brettster
          Brettster commented
          Editing a comment
          Caleb, I think it’s $6,000, $7,000 or $8,000 depending on software package. I’ll post what I have from Doug. The only problem I see is you cannot use a credit card, it has to be cash. You are right though, this looks like the most promising of ALL the other sims - for me the short game aspects of it make it better, it looks to me like it is the only one that will give you a way to gauge putting/chipping distance so accurately that it is nearly identical to real golf, the only limitation for me is having a big enough depth of space 20’, instead of 16’ will allow for very accurate 15’ or shorter putts.

Brettster Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that having more space between the ball and screen will have any effect at all on putting accuracy.

Comment

• Brettster
          Brettster commented
          Editing a comment
          You’re right Joe, not on the accuracy, but it would have an effect on practicing getting the speed right on longer putts. It may lead to an overcompensation, if you putted with only 8’ of putting distance on every putt, as you would have no way of knowing how much your speed was off... see my comment on Gene’s latest video about it.

• jrz
          jrz commented
          Editing a comment
          It get you now, Brett! I've always coached people to not try and match their sim area putting to IRL conditions since real greens are no where near as fast as a carpet is. If I was able to practice 20-30' putts inside on a carpet I bet my putts on a real course would be super short until I compensated for the increased friction of real grass.

Gene, Firstly, your putting green is awesome. It's not clear if you are putting over a material change. I find it much better if you are putting over 1 material all the way. With this large FOV, you should be able to accomplish this. I putt 18 inches ahead of my tee. The stereo cameras inside Uneekor should be very accurate for LA and HA. You can test this by measuring your ball mark on the screen and doing some math with the help of a right angle calculator. http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html. This won't work for slow chips as the ball will be descending before it hits the screen. The only downside that I can see with Uneekor is OK,OK, Ok..... you have a great idea with the green light / red light. You could also showcase putting accuracy on the "Flat putting alignment- Protee" course. Again with stereo, it should be fantastic.
        Last edited by keither5150; 05-29-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• gene438
          gene438 commented
          Editing a comment
          You are right, my next video will be on putting

I don’t think I’ve been more excited about a product. Now if I can only have $6000 magically appear in my hand!

Comment

• Brettster
          Brettster commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, exactly! I really wish there was a credit card option, or some way to make payments toward the $6,000 over time, that's a lot of dough to spend at once. Especially when I have all the other essentials to buy to get setup (mat, screen, projector, etc).

Hopefully as Uneekor sees how successful the product is, it will be able to start offering credit purchases, or payment plans.

Originally posted by cberglof View Post
        I don’t think I’ve been more excited about a product. Now if I can only have $6000 magically appear in my hand!
        Amen to that, brother. I'm with you!

Comment

Gene - Can you "boost" in TGC 2019 like you can on the GC2/Skytrak? Like say you want to boost driver by 5%, etc...

Comment

• gene438
            gene438 commented
            Editing a comment
            I cannot find a way to boost

gene438 Is the uneekor window with the video showing the club coming into the ball still open while playing tgc?

Comment

• gene438
            gene438 commented
            Editing a comment
            No, the video of ball contact and the swing analysis can only be viewed when using QED software. I believe the way to look at it is that TGC plays like it always has, the QED is just supplying ball data...ie spin, spend, launch angle, etc. Everything else remains TGC

No, that is only available when playing the QED software..,. When playing TGC, the QED is only supplying the hitting data

Comment

Working...
          X