Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any new info on additional cams for swing analysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any new info on additional cams for swing analysis?

Up to 120fps, what else?

Officially, the only thing I know is that they are still looking for a camera with higher speeds.....I think we are going to need at least 180 FPS. I'm told that the goal is to have a solution by end of October. I have a camera coming today (I hope) that should record at 240 FPS. I'm not sure if it will be recognized by the QED unit but I will see. I will post something if it works...

Comment

Originally posted by gene438 View Post
      Officially, the only thing I know is that they are still looking for a camera with higher speeds.....I think we are going to need at least 180 FPS. I'm told that the goal is to have a solution by end of October. I have a camera coming today (I hope) that should record at 240 FPS. I'm not sure if it will be recognized by the QED unit but I will see. I will post something if it works...
      Thanks. I was told by them Uneekor would only work with up to 120FPS. Which did you get?

Comment

Well fellas, my camera test was a bust. I bought this camera:

The camera plugged into my USB and was recognized by all my camera software except for the Uneekor. I loaded SwingAnalysis.exe program and the camera appeared in the dropdown but I could not get it to show ... only got a black screen....no video.

When hooked up to my other software, the camera worked as advertized. Video quality was good and I think it might have worked. You would have to have good lighting, the camera will only work in well lit room.

But, since Uneekor software would not pick it up....I returned it today.....back to the drawing board.

Comment

• cmckelvmi
          cmckelvmi commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you ask Austin to try and work his magic?

• BigJohn
          BigJohn commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi gene,

I ordered a couple of $20 refurbished HD webcams from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and they both work like a champ.

I had the same issue as you did with all 720p webcams I owned.

At that low price, I also ordered a third one as a backup, just in case.

The swing analysis feature in Uneekor Ignite is really helpful. It showed me things I had no idea were happening.

BigJohn

BigJohn Do you get blurred video when you try to slow down and watch swings. Looks like those cameras are only 30 FPS.

Comment

• BigJohn
          BigJohn commented
          Editing a comment
          I found no issues with watching my swings at full speed or analyzing my swing frame by frame.

• VenturaHacker
          VenturaHacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Based on this thread, I gave one a try, same camera, slow mo playback was extremely blurred. BigJohn, this is very interesting, I wonder if computer specs might make a difference?

I bought two of these cameras: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work very good in Ignite. One down the line and one from the front. Both cameras were detected in Ignite without any problems. You can watch your swing in slow motion with 120 fps picture for picture.

My only problem is, that they are not detected in Succeed. In Succeed I only get a black screen. I hope QED can solve it. If it works in Ignite, hopefully it should also run in Succeed.

Comment

• VenturaHacker
          VenturaHacker commented
          Editing a comment
          birdie, I tried a similar camera, 120 fps, very blurred playback, cant see club angle at ball strike, like gene438. What is your cpu and video card, thanks.

• chicub15
          chicub15 commented
          Editing a comment
          birdie did you get these cameras working with Succeed? My Uneekor arrives tomorrow and I'm looking for some cameras. I have the Succeed package as well.

• birdie
          birdie commented
          Editing a comment
          not yet, I use Succeed very seldom and in Ignite they are working well. They are developing a new swingmotion program, but I don't know when they are finished.

Blurred club is a shutter speed issue due to lack of light. It isn't an FPS problem.

Even 30 FPS can show a crystal clear club if set up properly (limited frames per swing though).

I wrote a video primer a while back explaining all that stuff, it's a sticky somewhere.

Little need to go higher than 120 FPS for swing camera which already allows 8-10x slow motion. For less blur shorten your exposure time. If too dark, increase the gain. If too grainy, increase amount of light. If still unhappy get a monochrome and blast it with IR (hoping it doesn't degrade your LM readings too much). Still unhappy buy a bigger sensor and repeat.

Comment

Here is a link to a video on my swing cameras,

I now have them setup properly and am looking at better lighting, I just need to find dimmable led light bulbs in the wattage I want, using 60 watt now want to try 100 watt see if that doesn't stop the blur of the club. I have seen crystal clear video at what was claimed to be 80 FPS global shutter, so I think it is the lighting.
        This link is to the cameras I got.

Comment

• FaultyClubs
          FaultyClubs commented
          Editing a comment
          Again, motion blur is due to shutter speed and not fps. Increasing fps has the side effect of increasing shutter speed but that is an very non-optimum approach. 120 fps can have zero motion blur as can 30 fps. One just needs to have the right camera and know how to use it. See my post above.

As for BG's particular camera, I have one. It is fully automatic designed for maximum light performance so will have more blur than a manual camera for the same light. Not recommended for someone looking for minimum shaft blur. That said it is capable of significantly less shaft blur than shown in the video. But does require a lot more than a 60w or 100w equivalent led.

• BGCurtis2nd
          BGCurtis2nd commented
          Editing a comment
          FaultyClubs I knew I needed more lighting just didn't know how much, I was hoping to get the blur eliminated, but even having what I have now has helped me work and improve my swing. Was wanting dimmable lighting so I could use the light setup I have now without adding more fixtures and wiring. I went to buy the cameras Uneekor says to use for now and at the time I did, they were out of stock. I was tired of waiting so I went with a camera that appeared to have the same specification. Any recommendations on lighting for the camera will be appreciated, and I can always add more fixtures and wiring if needed I was just trying to avoid the extra work.

• FaultyClubs
          FaultyClubs commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, won't eliminate blur with cheap cameras they just need too much light. Your video looks good considering YouTube. Maybe benefit from more light, 1000 lux in the hitting area is a good ballpark. Spotlights to direct the light help. If you really want to eliminate blur need a boatload of light and much better cameras.

Hi All!

My understanding is that Uneekor is coming out with an upgrade to existing Swing Motion Cameras (SMC) at the end of next month (November, 2019). That includes software and cameras. Of course, the new units shipping, at that time, will have the software upgrade installed and the SMC's can be added to the purchase. No pricings for the upgrade or software upgraded sensor November, 2019 purchase that I am aware of, but a rumored price increase for the CURRENT kit has been in play for a while now...

Interesting times for this...

Thank you very much

FURY

Comment

BG (and others), here's some crude examples that might be useful to this discussion.

Attached are crops from my FO camera running at 120 FPS in a well lit room (similar to a bright commercial office). (Apologize for the poor quality but I set the crop resolution wrong and it was too much work to redo.)

#1 is just regular settings, you can see the normal amount of blur at 120 fps.
          #2 is the same but only the shutter speed changed to reduce blur (this is my normal setting).
          #3a is the same but shutter speed reduced even further to "freeze" the club. Since 3a is too dark to see the club I brightened the picture in post processing for 3b

This shows (I hope) two major things:

1) The amount of extra light you would need for no blur, probably 10x a room that is already quite bright
          2) Blur is not tied to the FPS rate, in a good camera it is independently settable.

For this test I turned the room lights on. A bit much for regular 120 fps camera but about right for the limited blur image. LED spotlights with barn doors attached are a good option for controlling light spillage.

I don't follow the Uneekor at all, but hopefully they source some good options for you guys. I can see options like:

1) A cheap ELP/Kayeton type camera with independent exposure and gain control running at 120 fps.
          2) A medium priced option needing less light and giving clearer pictures (I've used IDS, PTR and Basler around $350-$500 that are decent)
          3) A good option needing even less light and giving higher resolution such as the IDS 3160 ($1k or so).

Most of these come in color or monochrome. The monochrome versions need half the amount of light or less if you can put up with that 1950's black and white TV look. Most monochrome will also work with IR lighting so a nice option for keeping the room dark (if the Uneekor can handle massive IR lighting without interference).

Anyway, hope this helps.

I Click image for larger version

Name:	fo_blur_composite.jpg
Views:	1961
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	223051

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
            BGCurtis2nd commented
            Editing a comment
            Uneekor uses IR light, not sure if adding more into the mix would be a good idea.

Well I just bought three of these off of ebay @ $43.19 each, Pro Photo Studio 500 LED Video Light Panel 5500K Dimmer Portrait Lighting Kit (equivalent output of 500 watt).
          Should be in by the middle of next week, will see how much they help and post a video.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
            BGCurtis2nd commented
            Editing a comment
            I know they are going to be bright, but for me when I am working on my swing I just have the IGNITE running on the monitor and that shouldn't be a problem for the lighting hopefully it will not mess with the Uneekor, just have to try and see.

• Seanheenan
            Seanheenan commented
            Editing a comment
            Any update how do the lights work?

• BGCurtis2nd
            BGCurtis2nd commented
            Editing a comment
            Seanheenan not any help on the cameras I have now, I hope to see how well they work with the new cameras Uneekor has coming out.
        Working...
        X