Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uneekor QED with True Strike Gel Insert in either hitting mat or putting surface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneekor QED with True Strike Gel Insert in either hitting mat or putting surface?

Hi all - I’m in the building stage of a new golf simulator shed. I am using a skytrak with TGC 2019 now, but I am upgrading to Uneekor QED. My main hitting surface will be a true strike gel insert, which is roughly 14” wide by 32” long. I understand that the sensor area (calibration zone) will be wide enough to span across the true strike insert, and I’m wondering if anyone has two different hitting or putting areas within their QED sensor area. My idea is to insert the true strike into a thicker hitting mat (5x5 Mirage Tee Line hitting mat) to add a second hitting area within the QED sensor area that could simulate rough. Or I could insert the true strike right into my putting surface (Mirage Tour Putt Ultimate), in which case the sensor area would cover some of the putting surface, adding very realistic sim putting. I’m not sure which would be better, or if this is even possible. Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

My Uneekor arrives next Wednesday and I've been reading up on it. I'm pretty sure if you check out Garagegolf on youtube, you will see that Roland is using two locations on his truestrike mat (the gel insert for irons and woods, and the platform section for putting). Doug from Uneekor tells me the width of the impact zone is about 18" so should be plenty for your putting idea (though that depends on how high you mount the QED). Good luck! Let us know how the upgrade to Uneekor goes. Curious if you are swapping subscriptions from SkyTrak to Uneekor and what that process is like. I have TGC2019 and E6 1.6 and hoping to swap at least TGC to the Uneekor.
    --
    What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Comment

I wanted to set up different areas, however the 'tee' area is very small and didn't want to be limited for iron shots. To be fair I haven't tested it so maybe it still would work well if you're on a par 3.

Comment

The you can putt, chip, tee off, etc. anywhere within the Uneekor hitting area which is about 18" x 24" area. I'm not sure of the exact range. I use a permanent tee in one area, then in the middle I hit my irons, and then on the left side I putt. I did a short video on the hitting area so time ago, maybe that will give you a better sense of what you can do.

Comment

• Putt-For-Doe
          Putt-For-Doe commented
          Editing a comment
          Gene impact zone of uneekor is it 18in length and 24in width or vice versa

I do not recall just who it was, but someone had told me that QED Uneekor was working on a multi surface hitting area and that the unit that detects the ball was setup to be adjustable to accommodate it. Again I do not recall just who it was that said it but I did note that it would put a whole new element into the game and one of the reasons I went with the system I know there is a lot more they are looking at to add to the system in the future than what they have now.

Comment

Thanks so much, all! This is really helpful info. From Gene’s video (and from the Garage Golf video) it seems like the sensor area will definitely span across the true strike gel insert. Any opinions on if it would be more practical to have a rough section next to the true strike or a putting section? I’m installing the Tour Putt Ultimate throughout the rest of the shed floor for non-sim putting practice, but I could build a tee box out of an old hitting mat and wrap the putting surface around that, also. I’m leaning towards just inserting the true strike right into the green, but I’m wondering if it will feel weird standing directly on the putting surface while hitting. I can see an argument for both, so please let me know what you think. Thanks, again!

Comment

You bring up an interesting point. I actually have made a "rough" insert to go on top of my gel insert and I hit on it occasionally. However, I started thinking that for simulator play either online or in tournaments, you really don't want to hit off an actual "rough" mat when you are in simulated rough. The software is adjusting your swing data to "penalize" you from being in the rough, so, if you actually switched and hit out of a rough mat, you would be penalizing yourself twice..... I don't know why I didn't think about that before building the "Rough" mat, but once I did, I put the "rough" mat in the closet....

Comment

• Wonko
              Wonko commented
              Editing a comment
              Really good point, Gene! I hadn’t considered that the system adjusts the swing data to adjust for the rough automatically, so I think a removable rough insert for strictly rough practice is a great idea. I will insert the true strike directly into the putting green turf.

One more question, if I may, sir!

You mentioned your gel insert above. Is the hitting area in your video your gel insert, and if so, how did you get the tee to go into the insert w/out puncturing the gel? I’m hearing that I’ll have to use a Birtee for my true strike gel insert. Please let me know if you know something different.

Also, do you have a gym mat or other rubber underlay under your standing/hitting/putting area?

Thanks again!

Hey Wonko, I inserted a permanent tee holder into my hitting mat and that way I can use real tees. I did a video of the gel insert a while back but I think it will answer your questions.

Comment

Working...
            X