Camera options for Uneekor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera options for Uneekor

Fellow Uneekor users, looking for feedback on successful deployment of 3rd party cameras that work well with my QED. I know a number of users have tested various solutions with moderate success. Uneekor has announced the Swing Motion system but at $1400 it is expensive. We are fairly new to this level of analysis and envision occasional use of the cameras. Any advice not the following would be very helpful. We love our system and the support we have received from the Uneekor team.

1 What model, spec, costs and results
    2 Lighting requirements
    3. Capture and storage
    4 Software requirement
    5 The benefits of the Uneekor Swing Motion camera option; Unclear if this comes with a separate software package
    6. Overall benefit of a camera system

Thanks so much.

Brief update to everyone here, I finally got the Spinel camera installed in the 3D printed housing from stevnkrn and onto a tripod last night, and I'm completely satisfied with the quality. The image is very clear and motion blur is minimal. As others have said, yes, there is motion blur on the club, but for me the point of the camera is also to see what my body, hands, etc. were doing during the swing, and the motion blur really doesn't affect this (and overall I find it very minimal).

While I ultimately got it assembled I feel like I probably installed it incorrectly, so I wanted to post a couple of pictures here and ask what I did wrong to see if there is a better way to put this all together
    • To assemble the housing, I started by placing the nut inside the housing in the hole where it fits snugly.
    • I then put the board inside the housing, routed the wiring through the cable hole in the bottom, and attached the top piece that seals the camera board within the housing
    • I then put on the secondary cover piece (this one below) and aligned the hole in this piece with the hole in the main camera housing/body piece
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=306451.jpg
Views:	2282
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	310118
    • Lastly, I screwed the bolt through both the cover piece above and into the housing body, which secured it into the nut placed inside the body
    • This leaves a small piece of bolt sticking out as you see in the picture immediately below. In the design pictures, it looks like the knob should be screwed on here, which would work, but wouldn't have left me a way to attach it to my tripod.

Name:	ACtC-3eHKCcopJMG7my0B3qvHIS-7OIqIlJXTM3A3gZL-ZlKCVQIthkoKySL3wci8E4cpsacHE0D_k4d-P0yCvI_saW__Ycxiuv3Lx-Bhtc5wVHhKLt58APO8wa64r3h_bk2fv0rNpyl11hEn7Xv1rXV5ZkhdQ=w1690-h2252-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	2413
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	310116
    • At this point, I got kind of confused as I wanted to mount it to my tripod, but had a bolt protruding from the housing as well as one from the tripod. To solve the problem, I put one more nut on the tripod side and half screwed the nut into the camera, and half screwed it into the tripod and it worked. (below is a view from the back of the camera housing)
    • It works fine like this, but I'm not sure this was the intended design? stevnkrn has a picture in his links of a camera on a tripod that looks like it is attached differently than this, so I feel like I missed something obvious....
    • In the end, however, it works, and to help others trying to mount this in the future, I wanted to post a few pics to help with this if you are setting it up.

Name:	ACtC-3eopgiFfDUT6haZwrSdwbxYnfEaHbIQETIQ6PszvYVY67HDyHZ_fz9DdKIqZjmohRTFjS0cMpxEeec3ow2ukr41r3ZYHGLD0jSVZSUtSYD0aN4MxIf1MzcYiBKN5MNIaGsophGx5OR47chwN3N6qoYxwA=w1946-h2594-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	2310
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	310119

Overall, huge thanks for the 3D designs. I love this little camera and it's a big upgrade to have a swing cam working with the QED system.
    Attached Files

Comment

There are four 3D parts to print. Did you print the knob? You are supposed to use a 3/4" long hex head bolt in the knob and then screw the knob assembly into the mounting bracket. Screw it in all the way until you strip the threads. It will still stay in the bracket but it will rotate freely enough to screw into the housing nut, which installs in the recess built into the housing. That nut is where a tripod attaches. The nut and the bolt need be 1/4" - 20 threads. If you just want to tripod mount you don't need the knob or the mounting bracket.

Sorry for the confusion.

Name:	20210108_094919_resized.jpg
Views:	2331
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	310128

Comment

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha. Now that you explain it it’s obvious. I was confused by adding in the extra backing part which you’d explained you were using to mount Velcro to it to attach it to your wall that way. Thanks for explaining. It is working with my Frankenstein method as well and I love it, but I’ll simplify the install next time I’m in the garage now that I understand it. Thanks again!

stevnkrn based on your experience replacing lenses in the Spinel cameras, do you think this would work in the cameras we bought?

Comment

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        Why did you replace the stock lens UpstateNYsim?

• stevnkrn
        stevnkrn commented
        Editing a comment
        I assume myrison that UpstateNYsim replaced the stock lens for the same reason I did. If you have at least 7 feet between the camera and the ball position the stock lens should work. In my case I have less than that for my rear camera and you can't get the entire swing in view of the camera with the stock lens. The 1.8mm and 1.7mm lenses mentioned in this thread are wider angle lenses which will hopefully enable getting the full swing in view with a closer camera to ball distance.

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha. In that case I’m very interested in seeing how the new lens works too. My rear camera has plenty of room but from the side I could use a wider lens. I’ll stay tuned to hear how it goes !

I just ordered the Spinal camera and found this mount, see if it works it looks like it will fit the specs of the camera board.

. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        From a quick look, I don't think so unless you're putting the camera board in some kind of a case first? The board itself is incredibly small.

The site is a bit flaky but I was able to submit an order through this Spinel site:

1MP USB 2.0 Cameras, 720p USB board camera, 720P USB camera module (spinelelectronics.com)

I bought 2 of the UC10MPC_ND_BH36 which appears to be the 95 degree with an enclosure and also a M12, 1/4", 1.7mm, F2.4, 5MP, 650nm IR filter lens (in accessories section) to swap in for the rear camera.

Hopefully these will work out ok.

Comment

• COgolfengineer
        COgolfengineer commented
        Editing a comment
        golfninja Did this work out for you? I ordered the same thing, although the case came with the 2mm lens, and then ordered the 1.7mm lens so I can swap it out. Spinel called me shortly after my order and said the 1.7mm ;lens won't fit in the case meant for the 2mm lens. Probably just have to make the hole a bit wider so probably an easy mod. Just wondering if you got both these and if you had to mod the case at all to fit the 1.7mm lens. Thanks.

• golfninja
        golfninja commented
        Editing a comment
        COgolfengineer I just got my cameras set up recently they are working ok with the 2mm lens. I am not sure that I will need to swap either of mine out for the 1.7 lens

• COgolfengineer
        COgolfengineer commented
        Editing a comment
        golfninja Ok gotcha, thanks. What distance do you have from the camera to the ball for both cameras?

myrison / stevnkrn I received my 1.7mm lens from Spinel (JSD5500-C1) and loaded it up into the camera (UC10MPC_ND). The lens is actually further recessed into the camera enclosure compared to the 2.1 mm lens that came with the camera, to the point where it impacts the field of view. You can see the difference in the rear camera between these two power swing cards:
      Before: https://myuneekor.com/power_swing_card/view/3006/XLcOGa
      After: https://myuneekor.com/power_swing_card/view/3007/yazUM8

Once the enclosure is adjusted this will be a great improvement. I'm thinking I may be able to modify the enclosure to push the camera more forward in the housing, instead of reprinting a new design.

Comment

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep that answered it thanks UpstateNYsim. I was just curious if you could buy the board with the right lens directly or if you had to do what you did (buy the lens you didn't actually want and swap it out). That answered the question, thanks.

• hpolack
        hpolack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the links and videos. You are saying your lens is compatible with this camera? It does not look like it is a screw in type. Also, does anyone know where to get a longer USB cord to plug into this camera, like 15-20 ft. Rather not by a USB extender if I can just by a cable with the right end. I suppose I could put it on myself, but would rather not if possible.

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought this extension cable. Works great.

INSTEN USB 2.0 Extension Cable -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HDAAC2...p_mob_ap_share

I can’t figure out how to get ignite to show videos. I just got spinels hooked up. PC can see them fine. I am sure I am missing a step or setting somewhere (hopefully).

Comment

• UpstateNYsim
        UpstateNYsim commented
        Editing a comment
        Swarm99 have you gone into Ignite's settings and selected the cameras?

• Swarm99
        Swarm99 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did figure it out. I went to settings before, but didn’t see anything about cameras. The UI for this portion isn’t intuitive, as I didn’t realize I needed to click on the Right and Left options to select a camera. No mention of the word camera anywhere in settings UI or in Uneekor manuals. Maybe this will help somebody else in the future.

Originally posted by golfninja View Post
      The site is a bit flaky but I was able to submit an order through this Spinel site:

1MP USB 2.0 Cameras, 720p USB board camera, 720P USB camera module (spinelelectronics.com)

I bought 2 of the UC10MPC_ND_BH36 which appears to be the 95 degree with an enclosure and also a M12, 1/4", 1.7mm, F2.4, 5MP, 650nm IR filter lens (in accessories section) to swap in for the rear camera.

Hopefully these will work out ok.
      I bought 2 of these but there was an error in the website and not sure order went through even though paypal was charged. will see...has anyone got them yet to test out?

Comment

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, 2 posts above this is a post from someone who bought them.

• bs531
        bs531 commented
        Editing a comment
        I got the same error when ordering the other day. Shipped right away and had it a day later

• golfninja
        golfninja commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same error when I ordered, mine has not yet shipped... I got an email that they have to restock one of the items

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere. I have one of the Spinel cameras hooked up (and ordered a second) and I can't seem to get the video orientation to match between the two different ways you can view your swing replay within Ignite. One view seems to show me swinging as a lefty and the other is correct. Anyone else experience this?

Comment

• stevnkrn
        stevnkrn commented
        Editing a comment
        On the Ignite settings screen you can flip the views.

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        Confirmed this is a bug. One view is always backwards of the other. If you flip it in the software. It only seems to flip one so the other is still backwards. Also a bug is that the frame by frame advance button completely ends the video (like a fast forward button instead of frame advance), but this only happens in one view, not both.

Thanks guys. Another question that I’m sure has been asked somewhere but is there a difference between the different numbers in parentheses after the resolution in the camera drop down?

Comment

• myrison
        myrison commented
        Editing a comment
        Going from memory, that number is frames per second. You want the highest option available to capture frame by frame review of your swing.

I have been able to get a product called EpocCam up and running which allows me to use an older iPhone as a camera for applications like Zoom or Google Hangouts on my sim PC. This app makes my PC believe that the iPhone is a simple webcam and can even work wirelessly if needed. There is a similar product called iVCam.

While I can see the iphone camera available in Zoom/Google, I have not been able to get this camera to appear in the Ignite software as an option in the dropdown for available cameras. Only my USB webcam shows up. I have tried both wirelessly and with the iPhone connected via USB.

My question: Has anyone gotten an app based webcam to work in Ignite?

Comment

Has anyone tried these ELP cameras?

Comment

• stevnkrn
          stevnkrn commented
          Editing a comment
          bombri, I looked at those when I was researching cameras. The title is a little misleading on Amazon because the 260 fps they mention is only only a 640 x360 pixel image. It does say it has 120fps at 1280 x 720, which is equivalent to the Spinel cameras, but the lens it comes with would only be appropriate for a really large, bright room and the specs state nothing about the lens having and IR filter. I ended up choosing the Spinel camera because it had the right size IR filtered lens and it was less expensive than this one.

stevnkrn what triggers the camera to record the video? Or is it synced with QED somehow so when sim is ready, the cameras start recording?

I’m just wondering how you could record and only store relevant clips of your swing over time without having to edit recorded material to remove the dead time when you are not swinging...any advice from your experiences or can you and others share how you make use of the recordings?

My goal is game improvement so I’d want to review video clips over time to know my swing is improving. I wasn’t sure if the recordings are a short-term thing that you record only a few swings or something you do more regularly every time you’re using the sim!

Comment

• IowaCat89
          IowaCat89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually I was commenting on the swing camera operation. I just mentioned that the camera recording the ball strike seems to drop out over time, whereas the swing cameras seem to keep working fine. I think exporting the power swing card is supposed to do what you want, but I have not personally experimented with it yet. It should create a small file with the different videos synchronized in time.

• stevnkrn
          stevnkrn commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't really add much to what myrison said. I don't actually know what triggers the cameras to record but it works. I have not tried to save any of the swings via a Power Swing Card but based on what I have read here in the forum that may not be possible unless you have the official Swing Optix cameras. I don't know of a file location where the videos are stored, if there is such a place. The swing video reviews work well in Ignite, but I also use them in the Refine driving range. Whenever I've wanted to record a swing I just recorded the video playback on my monitor using my cellphone.

• myrison
          myrison commented
          Editing a comment
          To answer stevnkrn 's question re: third party cameras and Swing Cards, yes, you can export from 3rd party cameras like the Spinel to the Power Swing card. From what I can tell, unless you export to a swing card, the video file in the software must be overwritten after each swing as I haven't found it anywhere on the hard drive. The pictures of the club impact are saved on the hard drive for some amount of time, but these are of pretty limited use after the fact.

Name:	IMG_0540.jpeg
Views:	1781
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	315795Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0543.jpeg
Views:	1784
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	315796 thanks to @stevnkm for the camera recs. and 3D models.

120$ from amazon for two. I took the 3D printing .stl files online to treatstock.com and picked a local printer (20$). I actually only needed the 2 housing pieces and attached to wall with velcro. I didn't appreciate how tiny these are. Printed one in white and one is black to blend in. Hardest part was hiding the USB cables for clean look. So far work great, and quality is everything I would need for improvement. Had to play in the settings menu in Ignite a little to get correct orientation and cameras to be recognized. Also, I could not split one connection with adapter for both cameras. Both need there own USB in back of tower - no biggie.

For less than $200 all in, a awesome value added to sim. I attached photos for those looking for ideas.

Name:	IMG_0541.jpeg
Views:	1824
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	315794

Comment

• myrison
          myrison commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks awesome. Nice work!

As a reminder to all of you going for the Spinel cameras there is an app called AMCap in the Support/Downloads area of the Spinel website that can be used to improve the image from the Spinel cameras. With the app you can adjust things like gamma, brightness and contrast to fit the lighting in your sim space. If you have the Spinel cameras I highly recommend that you download it and try it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much you can improve upon an already good Spinel image with a few tweaks. Also, don't forget you can focus the lenses by twisting them. Both of my cameras were a smidgeon out of focus when I got them.

Nice to see the camera housings I designed being used in such a nice sim room wolverine41. I never 3D printed one in white, but after seeing yours I just might have to make one. The way you have your black one set up looks just like mine.

Comment

• stevnkrn
          stevnkrn commented
          Editing a comment
          The Spinel camera just act like any other webcam once they are connected to the PC. I haven't tried it on any of those apps but I have looked at the cameras in the generic Windows camera app and the changes made with AMcap carry over to it. Based on that I assume AMcap app makes adjustments that carry over to other apps that use these cameras, so I assume that would apply to Zoom, MS Teams or other apps if you use them as webcams.

• FastDave
          FastDave commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Steven. I have read every comment and blog written about Swing Cameras, and now are more confused as when I started. One thing that I did figure out is you seem to know what you are talking about. I have a Uneekor QED with Ignite and TGC 2019. Love IT. Want to install Down the Line and Face On swing cameras but don't want to pay $2000 to Uneekor (Canadian)
          Can you guide me on what the latest information and your choice for these cameras and set up. Every time I think I got it, I read another blog and back to square one. Is it still the SPINA Cameras? Amazon Link?
          I have 72" ( 6') to the front on view and 96" (8') to the behind view. Lighting I not a problem as I have LED pot lights on a dimmer, so i can just adjust the amount of light. I really like the 3D Printed boxes that Wolverine41 had made up and will ask him to make me some or buy the printer file from him.

Here is my set up:
          I don't know how to add photos. but if you send me a email I will show you.

• timsiegle
          timsiegle commented
          Editing a comment
          See current post
          Last edited by timsiegle; 03-23-2022, 05:28 PM. Reason: moved to answer latest post
      Working...
      X