Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues with Uneekor QED in Garage year round? (Minnesota cold winters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Uneekor QED in Garage year round? (Minnesota cold winters)

I was originally looking at the SkyTrak or Mevo+ but I think if I can talk my wife into it I would rather go with a more high end system. My biggest question with the Uneekor QED is if there are any issues being in the garage year round with cold Minnesota winters. We are talking -40f outside on occasion. This is the only area with high enough ceilings so can't install indoors. If my northern climate friends can give me some feedback that would be awesome!

how cold will it be in the garage?

Comment

Cold won't ever hurt electronics unless they rely on batteries which the Uneekor doesn't use. In fact cold is preferred and heat is what fries electronics. The issue with temperature extremes and temp differences is that it can create condensation. We all know water is bad for electrical circuits and that is the issue you would be most prone to in a garage.

​​​​​​If you can keep the moisture under control then it won't be a problem but generally the way we control moisture levels is through air conditioning via sealing and HVAC.

Comment

Summers can get humid but not terrible. I have had stereos and computers in the garage during the summer so I think I should be safe with what you said.

Comment

Yeah it's ultimately what you decide you can tolerate. The money is coming out of your wallet after all.

Comment

I think u are making good decision to go for Uneekor. I have Skytrak and have a garage setup and I am seriously considering making a switch to Uneekor. I think improved sim performance is worth the increased investment

Comment

I had mine in the shed outdoors all winter.. only used heat on days I was playing for a few hours. I'd go in the morning out there and it would read in the low 30's for the most part before I fired up the heat

Comment

Yeah salt/humidity and heat(while powered) are the enemies of electronics.

Cold should be no problem, just as long as you aren't heating it up really really fast(thermal shocks) after its been cold. Realistically, unless you have heat blowing DIRECTLY on it, you should be fine. Thermal shocks can cause damage to solder joints. But, again, its highely unlikely you will be able to achieve a temperature delta needed to do any damage.

Comment

Working...
                X