Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour 2021-2022

Join the most exciting Golf Simulator Tour!

Tournaments are open to golfers of all ages and skill levels. Get in on the excitement of Golf Simulator Tours, Challenges and Tournaments: https://golfsimulatortours.com
See more
See less

Right ball flight bias on QED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right ball flight bias on QED

I've owned my QED for over a year now and still have issues with the ball flight not matching what I see outdoors. Outdoors on well hit drives I have a slight pull draw. On my QED nearly every shot I hit is a fade. Its not a big fade but the fact doesn't match my real ball flight concerns me. On my QED I have an extremely difficult time hitting anything that curves left, while outdoors I can do it on command. I have a single digit handicap so I make decent contact both indoors and out most of time. This is not a wind issue or an alignment issue. I have recalibrated several times and it never seems to eliminate the issue. Has anyone else experienced something like this and found a solution?

One thing I haven't tried but I've been tempted to is to reinstall my QED on the ceiling. I used lasers and a plumb bob to position it initially so I know it is positioned exactly inline with my hitting mat and the specified 3.5 feet behind it. When I place the checkerboard for calibration it is not in the center of the camera image for some reason but it and my hitting area is well within calibration grid zone. I have never had a calibration attempt fail. In other words the QED software thinks I've done things correctly enough for the automated calibration process to succeed. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that my QED is centered correctly but rotated a little left or right that is causing this? Could a slight error in leveling of the checkerboard during the calibration cause this? I've always assumed the calibration process accounted for minor imperfections in the installation, but maybe not.

Hmm interesting. I have the EyeXO and it seems to match my outdoor ball flight pretty well. Your calibration sounds fine. Could it be a ball issue? Meaning the Bridgestones that come with the QED maybe spin less than the balls you use outside? That shouldn't change left vs right spin though, so that's probably not it. Do you potentially hit the mat before the ball as that could change the spin relative to hitting from grass? Maybe try hitting some thin shots with intentional draw or fade and see if it reads those correctly. Have you emailed Uneekor? It's tough to solve unless you had a GCQuad measuring the same shot.

Comment

Thanks for your comments COgolfengineer. Your thoughts on ball differences match mine. The ball type could affect the magnitude of the spin but I would not think it would affect the direction of spin in the first couple of feet of the falls flight. If it does that would mean the marked Bridgestone balls are completely worthless. I'm not crazy about them but I think they spin the direction the club face and path direct them to spin. Your comments about hitting the mat first make sense. I'm a senior player so my legs in my swing don't work as well as they once did so I do sometimes hit a smidgen behind the ball. However, most times my club impacts in front of the ball as is should. Like most people I do hit thin shots from time to time and haven't noticed a spin direction difference in the ball flight but I'll give that a try and see if I can produce a predictable draw.

Comment

Have you tried shooting video of your swing indoors vs out? When I first got my sim I was amazed at the ball flight difference and questioned my launch monitor until I saw the video and how drastically I was subconsciously changing my swing indoors. It did get better over time, but there were some growing pains.

Comment

• myrison
          myrison commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Video proved I was changing my swing inside even though I swore I was not. (Not saying that is the OP’s problem, but it was an issue for me)

Thanks for the comments chicub15 and myrison. I have Spinel swing cameras hooked up to my QED so inside video is no problem. I will have to see what I can do to get outside video. I like the ball flight outdoors way better. It is difficult for me to believe I would swing that different inside with essentially perfect lie and alignment conditions, but I'll look into it.

Comment

My ball flight on my QED seems to match my outdoor spot on. I'm a 6 handicap and use my QED as a practice tool. I also have a league at my house with about 20 guys of all handicaps. Everyone plays about the same outside as they do in. The only issue I've had is that my scratch golfer buddy hits all his irons about 5 yards short, and sometimes even 10 yards short... but is able to shape his shots on command. Only thing I can think of on the shorter iron distances is he is having bad feedback from hitting off the mat. I recently ordered a Holy Grail mat to see if that helps with those that have steeper downswings. Be good to keep this conversation going to see what you figure out on your end. I will give some feedback after I get my new mat in.

Comment

It sounds like the unit is probably just shifted a few degrees. Re mounting will most likely fix it. Of course make sure the calibration is done properly as well. It is also never a bad idea to just reinstall everything if it gets buggy.

Comment

With respect to the unit itself being mounted perfectly...
              I was curious if this mattered, so I calibrated with the checkerboard about 45 degrees offline. The calibration completed successfully and when I hit a shot straight into the screen, the result was a massive shank. Did it a couple times and the result was the same.

I haven't talked to Uneekor about it, but in my opinion, the absolute most vital part of calibration is ensuring the checkerboard is perfectly straight in line with your target line, and the surface of the board is level. The calibration of the unit relies entirely on the placement of the checkerboard.

Comment

• myrison
                myrison commented
                Editing a comment
                This is great information. I think you just saved the OP an absolutely painstaking remount/remeasure of the unit on the ceiling.

• preludesam
                preludesam commented
                Editing a comment
                Second that about saving time. I did use a laser to get the target line straight and leveled the board but didn’t even think about leveling the unit. Might just try it for fun.

Thanks again guys. As I stated before I was very meticulous with the positioning of my QED and placement of the checkerboard. I run a piece of green fishing line from my mat all the way to my screen and stretch it taut. The fishing line is not visible all all on the camera views but easy enough to find when positioning the checkerboard. That way I know the checkerboard is perfectly centered on my target line. As far as leveling the checkerboard I do find this difficult to do. It is possible it was not level enough. The checkerboard I got with my QED is not perfectly flat. I think the best thing for me to try first is to recalibrate again and hope for better results. I'll see what I can do to flatten the checker board first before recalibrating.

Comment

• myrison
                myrison commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you check that the fishing line is square to the target when you pull it? (sorry if it seems like we're all questioning your ability to do this... it's more just trying to see if there's something you might have missed in your setup process since you've exhausted all of the ideas you could think of so far)

I screwed my checkboard into a piece of plywood so it was flat. The square not being square (due to tilt) will definitely affect the calibration.

Comment

I’ve always had this problem, but to the left…being a dead straight or very slight fade player outdoors, it drives me nuts. Almost two years in, pretty sure I’m over any indoor swing issues. I simply bias my swing to the right of target—not a great solution.

My technique: I have a silver sharpie marker target line on my mat tray pointing at screen…just like picking a target on the ground on the course. I use a laser from behind the tray, thru the target line, to the screen. I then lay the calibration card so that it’s centered perfectly on the laser line, and run the calibration app.

I have never checked for level, just assumed. But will this afternoon! But this does have me questioning everything, including the ceiling levelness.

Reading the 45° shank result, it appears (more) precision is the recipe for success!!

PS. I thought I got rid of my SkyTrak to fix this kind of issue!!!!! 😝🤣

Comment

Hey all. Total newbie here. I am in the market for a launch monitor and leaning QED.

To solve OP's problem, could you also look at the overhead club path video from QED to see how OP is impacting the ball? This should be a major determinant of ball flight, no?

Haven't seen anyone mention that, so I am curious about the value of that particular feature on the QED.

Comment

Originally posted by GhoshBustr View Post
                    Hey all. Total newbie here. I am in the market for a launch monitor and leaning QED.

To solve OP's problem, could you also look at the overhead club path video from QED to see how OP is impacting the ball? This should be a major determinant of ball flight, no?

Haven't seen anyone mention that, so I am curious about the value of that particular feature on the QED.
                    Good first post and yes that makes a lot of sense. Club path would likely be misreported if the system is miscalibrated, but the view of the club itself in the picture would be a strong indicator of whether it's coming across the ball in-out or vice-versa, as well as club position at impact. Good suggestion and welcome to the forum!

Comment

Agree myrison. That actually is part of the issue. For me at least it can be very difficult to tell on the video unless I've exaggerated the swing path or face angle. I have a generally pretty straight ball flight on most drives and pretty straight in general for the irons. When I hit a draw with a driver the in-to-out path of the club is pretty subtle. I would swear that sometimes it looks in-to-out with a closed club face and yet the ball fades. That is the primary reason for the original post. A shot that I know draws outside often times just doesn't on my QED. I had a very tough few first weeks of the outdoor season this year because I had grooved my swing all winter to what the simulator was showing. I changed grip, stance and path to get the ball for fly straight or draw. When I started playing outside I hit duck hook after duck hook until I was able to adapt to my real ball flight instead of the sim ball flight. That is why I need to fix this. I don't want to go through that again next spring.

Comment

Uneekor had no ideas? Would be awesome to see what another launch monitor reads…

Comment

Working...
                        X