Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated Golf Sim Room - ProTee vs Others (Budget $20k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated Golf Sim Room - ProTee vs Others (Budget $20k)

In the final stages of our new home construction and need to finalize our golf simulator room and choices. The current room is 22' Deep and 18'10" Wide with 10'2" Ceilings in the basement. This will be a fully dedicated golf sim room. I am around a 14 handicap, and I have two young boys that love golf, 10 and 8. We live in Ohio so golf season is very short.

I want to build a room that is fully custom, Will have a fixed screen and want to have a true professional look similar to the trackman/fullswing sim setups you see. I am left handed and my boys are right handed . Our original thought was ProTee for that reason, but seems like everyone raves about GC2 and its simplicity. I am not 100% sure how much this will get used since this will be our first Golf Sim. Therefore, not sure on spending a ton right now, but might regret it later too.

ProTee: Great for Left/Right uses, but can only hit in once spot, not easy to setup? Do the sensor grooves bother you ? I would also have to build my sub floor up which would mean cutting my doors and trim different, future changes would be affected.

GC2 - Terrible for left/right? Possible upgrade to the GCHawk later if we use the room all the time? Simple setup and can hit from multiple spots. At the cost, can you do TWO GC2's?

What do you guys think? I need help, been going back and forth on this for too long and need to pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Tbraden32; 11-19-2018, 02:36 AM.

Nice size allotted for your sim space.

You don't necessarily have to build up the floor to install ProTee. If you are willing to cut / pour recesses in what I assume is a concrete floor, there is no need to raise the subfloor to create clearance for the sensor units. There would also have to be a channel for one or two wires to travel from the sensor to the wall, to connect to the computer. It would be worth the effort in order to save ceiling height.

Because you have right and left handed golfers I would definitely choose the ProTee, especially if you are going "all in".

ProTee is not rocket science to install, and while it can take some tweaking to get right, once it's set up there's nothing more to be concerned about. And ProTee Support is the gold standard in the sim business.

And as far as the sensor grooves bothering you, I'd answer with "Grooves, what grooves?". Not an issue.

Comment

Two GC2s are theoretically an option but tbh that's probably overkill. Your space sounds plenty big enough to accommodate the same hitting spot for left and right handers, so many people use a single GC2 (or Skytrak) in the middle of their sim space and rotate the unit when changing handedness. Some guys even have a rotating turntable that the launch monitor sits on so you know you're perfectly aligned both sides, but you can easily achieve the same thing with marks or guides on the floor.

Fwiw I think the "cleanest" look would be without a sensor system embedded in the floor - you could have a clear floor with no visual distractions, you could have separate hitting strips that are replaceable as they wear, even a different surface to putt from, and the GC2's large field of view would mean no adjustments necessary to switch between full swing and putting.

Some other benefits of a standalone launch monitor of course (GC2, Trackman, Flightscope, Skytrak - whichever) are that a) they're portable so can be used e.g. at the range and b) in the unlikely chance your unit develops a fault or needs repair, it can be sent off without having to dismantle parts of your sim build. And your using the tech chosen by touring and teaching pros all over the world.

Hope that helps a little!

Comment

having owned a protee system, then a skytrak, and finally a gc2, i would definitely go with gc2 and find a way to make righty and left work. the gc2 is going to be a lot more accurate. i wouldn't call gc2 terrible for lefty/righty. all you have to do is put the ball in the appropriate spot and gc2 immediately switches modes.

marking the gc2 position for left and right handed players and picking it up and moving it is the simplest solution. some people have put their gc2 on a swivel. i saw one setup where the guy used a motorized swivel with a remote control. i have not seen anyone actually do this yet, but your space is big enough to put two impact screens on opposite sides of the room. you would either have to use two projectors or put one projector on a swivel but it would be less than buying two gc2's. plus, i'm not sure there is any software that allows you to use multiple gc2's at the moment.

there are lots of people that have started off with protee, skytrak, es16, etc and eventually end up with a gc2. very rarely do you see someone start off with a gc2 and move away from it. that tells you something.
        Last edited by inorkuo; 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Fanboy posts removed. Thread cleaned.

Comment

I would disagree, TGC is not terrible. Yes there are many courses that are junk, but to say they only have 10 good courses out of 80k is absurd. Currently TGC does not have multiple tees but TGC2019 is supposed to correct that.

Comment

Originally posted by aja View Post
              Nice size allotted for your sim space.

You don't necessarily have to build up the floor to install ProTee. If you are willing to cut / pour recesses in what I assume is a concrete floor, there is no need to raise the subfloor to create clearance for the sensor units. There would also have to be a channel for one or two wires to travel from the sensor to the wall, to connect to the computer. It would be worth the effort in order to save ceiling height.

Because you have right and left handed golfers I would definitely choose the ProTee, especially if you are going "all in".

ProTee is not rocket science to install, and while it can take some tweaking to get right, once it's set up there's nothing more to be concerned about. And ProTee Support is the gold standard in the sim business.

And as far as the sensor grooves bothering you, I'd answer with "Grooves, what grooves?". Not an issue.
              So the GROOVES do Not bother ProTee Users at all? Where exactly to you place the ball?

Comment

• aja
                aja commented
                Editing a comment
                The ball is placed in the forwardmost "dimple" in the hitting sensor. The grooves are behind the hitting area as well as at the front of the sensor pad. The grooves house the sensors to track the clubhead.

The hitting dimple also accepts a golf tee for driving or hitting off the tee.

And to reinforce my earlier comment about the grooves being a non-issue, I had to find a picture of the sensor pad in order to describe where the grooves are... they are a non-issue.
                Last edited by aja; 11-19-2018, 06:24 PM.

• gene438
                gene438 commented
                Editing a comment
                I place the ball about 1 inch in front of the designated spot. I never really liked hitting it off the dimple area. I don't think it makes any difference and if it does, you can adjust for it.

Originally posted by inorkuo View Post
              having owned a protee system, then a skytrak, and finally a gc2, i would definitely go with gc2 and find a way to make righty and left work. the gc2 is going to be a lot more accurate. i wouldn't call gc2 terrible for lefty/righty. all you have to do is put the ball in the appropriate spot and gc2 immediately switches modes.

marking the gc2 position for left and right handed players and picking it up and moving it is the simplest solution. some people have put their gc2 on a swivel. i saw one setup where the guy used a motorized swivel with a remote control. i have not seen anyone actually do this yet, but your space is big enough to put two impact screens on opposite sides of the room. you would either have to use two projectors or put one projector on a swivel but it would be less than buying two gc2's. plus, i'm not sure there is any software that allows you to use multiple gc2's at the moment.

there are lots of people that have started off with protee, skytrak, es16, etc and eventually end up with a gc2. very rarely do you see someone start off with a gc2 and move away from it. that tells you something.
              This is great info, my thought was if we truly love and use the Golf Sim all the time, I could eventually upgrade to the GCHawk or maybe even a Trackman. Or Maybe I should just learn how to play golf Right Handed.

Comment

Congrats on putting in a sim....I'm sure you and your boys will love it. Don't forget the other possibilities that come along with putting in a room like you are doing. Movies, putting green, gaming or VR Gaming area, exercise area, karaoke, etc....

If you are going to install a putting green, allowing for cups is an issue. Do you build up a subfloor or can you allow for them during construction?

In my case, I built up a subfloor which solved two problems. 1)Allows my protee matt to be flush and 2)Allows for 4 or 5 putting holes. The below shot shows my turf, subfloor and protee mat.
                Attached Files

Comment

• gene438
                  gene438 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, forgot to answer your other questions. In terms of which system, it really is a toss up.

Protee pros - price, left/right users, club head data (open/close), swing data (in/out or out/in), accurate, customer service, very stable, no shot delay with TGC

GC2 - easy to setup, can take outdoors, very accurate data (but no club head data...ie "you sliced but why?" so you have to know your swing)

I'm not going to say one is better than the other...they each have their pros and cons.......

the ball sits on a rubber tee holder between the last row or sensors, which is the ball track, and just before the middle row, which is the impact track. the grooves did not bother me as much as hitting off of the rubber tee holder. my most typical miss is fat and i was replacing the tee holder every other month. you do have to hover the club or ground it slightly further back because the middle track is right behind the ball with not much turf to support the club.

Comment

• aja
                  aja commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very surprised that you were replacing the rubber tee holder!

I bought several spares but have never had to use one.

Pretty early on I read that the best approach was to lower the rubber tee holder in the ProTee sensor pad. You need to provide a support under the tee holder so that it doesn't completely sink down too far, since it's held in place by friction.

Haven't hit the tee holder once since it's out of harm's way.

Happy golfing!
                  Last edited by aja; 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM.

• inorkuo
                  inorkuo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i should correct myself. my typical miss is VERY fat.

I'll give my opinion. Left and Right with a GC2 is not great but the GC2 is absolutely amazing. No one has ever switched from GC2 to something else as far as I know. For Leftie Righty the best solution is Trackman 4. You can use it with TGC or JNPG. I have or had all software options. I prefer TGC by far. JNPG is a second IMO and FSX or E6 a tie for third. I also like that I can move the GC2 around to spread the wear and tear on my screen and mat. I like that I can take it to the range. I like the GC2. The TM4 is amazing but like 30g's. For you, I would go with two GC2's. You have full time left and right players.
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                London Hunt Club L mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

mthunt How do you incorporate two GC2's into one session of TGC for a right and left handed player? Is this really possible, has it been done?

Comment

Originally posted by gene438 View Post
                    Congrats on putting in a sim....I'm sure you and your boys will love it. Don't forget the other possibilities that come along with putting in a room like you are doing. Movies, putting green, gaming or VR Gaming area, exercise area, karaoke, etc....

If you are going to install a putting green, allowing for cups is an issue. Do you build up a subfloor or can you allow for them during construction?

In my case, I built up a subfloor which solved two problems. 1)Allows my protee matt to be flush and 2)Allows for 4 or 5 putting holes. The below shot shows my turf, subfloor and protee mat.
                    Gene,

This was my original plan, building up the subfloor for the ProTee Sensor and putting cups. Our basement is complete and our build is about 2 months from being done. My builder is going to help me build w Yours was one of the inspirations pictures I think I saved! Awesome work. I'm just concerned with my young ones and the sensors - them hitting down into tracks. I wish I could find someone local to test out as if I go with ProTee, a lot of construction will be needed, and my interiors will be cut shorter do to raising the sub floor, as I would like to have the hitting surface level across the entire room.

Comment

• gene438
                      gene438 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, I think I outlined this for someone else in a previous thread but I can give you round numbers. The protee sensor mat is 2 3/4' high. So, your boards are 1.5" laying flat, add 3/4" plywood, .5" for turf and it should be flush with the protee mat. I may be off a bit but your builder should have no problem getting it all worked out. The only other problem was finding hole cups that would work because most are 4 inches tall. I ended up cutting mine in half so that they would fit.

Originally posted by mthunt View Post
                    I'll give my opinion. Left and Right with a GC2 is not great but the GC2 is absolutely amazing. No one has ever switched from GC2 to something else as far as I know. For Leftie Righty the best solution is Trackman 4. You can use it with TGC or JNPG. I have or had all software options. I prefer TGC by far. JNPG is a second IMO and FSX or E6 a tie for third. I also like that I can move the GC2 around to spread the wear and tear on my screen and mat. I like that I can take it to the range. I like the GC2. The TM4 is amazing but like 30g's. For you, I would go with two GC2's. You have full time left and right players.
                    mthunt,

I was trying to source a TM4 for a little while, seems like they dont pop up very often, if I could source one for around 15k I could swing it. Do you know if Dual GC2's can be done?

Comment

Dual GC2's work fine with FSX. There is no current way of doing it I know about with any other software. If you find a TM4 for 15k, buy two. I'll take one at that price. lol

My Courses:
                      World Par 3's by mthunt
                      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                      Weston G&CC by mthunt
                      London Hunt Club L mthunt
                      Park CC Lidar mthunt
                      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L