DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

I wanted to share the latest golf sim project I just finished. I wanted to make my golf mat feel a little softer and more like hitting down in the ground creating a divot. So you could spend $750 for a TrueStrike golf mat with a gel insert or you could do what I did for 1/3 the cost...and actually I think it's better.

I have the 5' X 5' ULTIMATE PAR COMMERCIAL DRIVING RANGE GOLF MAT from AllTurfMats.com. Cost $199.
    Link: http://www.allturfmats.com/product-p/utpq6060.htm

I bought a 18 in x 16 in Ultra Gel Pad from OnlyGel.com. Cost $72.50
    Link: https://onlygel.com/index.php/motorc...stock-232.html

I flipped my turf over and cut out a section of the foam bottom and placed the gel pad below the turf. I didn't glue it or anything. This gel pad is 5/8 in thick and that was exactly the thickness of the foam padding below my turf. So it fit perfect.

This feels so much better now. You can hit down and compress the ball and it feels like actually making a divot. Doesn't have any hard feel like before. I definitely recommend others doing something similar. You won't regret it. I also like this method because you don't have any insert and everything looks clean on top with no cut outs or mismatching turf colors.

The biggest tip is to use a oscillating multi-functional power tool (see what I mean in picture). This was the easiest way to cut out the foam. It only took about 30 minutes to cut it out.

If anyone else does this post back your results and how you like it! But definitely recommend others trying this!!!

See attached pictures!

Thanks Vincent... I just ordered a 12" x 18" Divot action today. I'm either going to cut it into my CCE mat or buy another mat that has firmer footing.

Comment

• Lefty13
      Lefty13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you receive your Divot Action mat insert? I'm debating buying one myself as well...

Thanks Mike80 !

I wrote up my own DIY $175 gel pad mat project here: http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...for-around-175
    - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

Hi all, I've been reading lots of posts for the past few months and I'm very grateful to all who have shared their experiences. I currently have a Net Return with a GC2 on the way, and I'm trying to figure out the right mat, which has led me to this interesting thread. Thanks to Mike80 for taking the initial plunge and sharing his idea. From what I've gleaned from this and a couple of other threads is that the DIY TrueStrike surface appears to wear a little quicker than expected, and there may be a little more bubbling and/or indenting than on a retail TrueStrike. I was wondering if, instead of placing a rigid piece of plywood up against the back of the gel pad, it might be better to adhere a 1/4" thick piece of EVA closed cell foam to the bottom of the mat and place the gel pad under that. Essentially, this is replacing the 3/4 foam backing that was removed with 1/4" foam backing. The pads are only about $10. I'm thinking this may make the mat perform more like it was originally intended, sort of a hybrid of Mike80's idea as well as those folks who buy a mat with a thin foam backing and build a platform under that with a cavity for the gel pad. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Comment

Bumping this up to see how your mats have held up? I actually already have the hitting mat listed here in the thread but switched over to hitting off synlawn classic pitch laid down over cheap outdoor carpet that sits on the plywood flooring of my sim room and I've been getting some elbow and neck pain recently after playing often.

ordered the gel insert last night so should have it in a few days. Wondering if you guys have cut it in half and saved a piece for when you move the mat around or should I go with the whole gel pad cutout? I have a GC2 so I have a little bit of room to hit from different spots now that my skytrak has been sold.

Comment

Hello -- simulator noob here -- and looking at setting up a garage setup.

Question -- the Ultimate Par mat noted in the OP's first post is now nearly $300. Is there any place to still get it for $200? Any good alternatives with a 5/8" foam padding (matching the thickness of the gen insert).

Thanks!

Comment

Anyone ...? Anyone have ideas on how to get the Ultimate par for a bit less?

Comment

Showing as $229.99 shipped right now.

The Commercial Driving Range Golf Mat with Foam has a foam backing that not only prevents the mat from moving and helps minimize club shock, but also makes the golf mat waterproof and mold-resistant. It can be used on any surface, including concrete patios and wood decks, and is a great golf mat for commercial and fam

You may have been looking at the "Matzilla" version, which is more expensive. I also do not think that it would be well-suited for this project--looks like a CCE type mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ookie View Post
                Showing as $229.99 shipped right now.

The Commercial Driving Range Golf Mat with Foam has a foam backing that not only prevents the mat from moving and helps minimize club shock, but also makes the golf mat waterproof and mold-resistant. It can be used on any surface, including concrete patios and wood decks, and is a great golf mat for commercial and fam

You may have been looking at the "Matzilla" version, which is more expensive. I also do not think that it would be well-suited for this project--looks like a CCE type mat.
                Thanks for the update -- I think actually the price dropped down from $299. But good news anyway (and free shipping).

Comment

Anyone have anything to report on how the actual turf part of the all-turf "Ultimate Par" mat has held up?

Comment

I've had mine since January, been hitting on it about 3-4 days/week on average. Initially there are a lot of "dust" from hitting the mat. I ran the vacuum on it weekly for the first few months to minimize the problem. There are still dust particle that comes up but nothing like the first few months.
                    Overall I like it, pretty durable but I'd do things differently next time. Because I added the gel pad on one side, I can't really rotate it. So this caused uneven wear on where the strike zone is, there's a slight divot now. I may still end up rotating it after some modifications to relocate the gel pad once that divot becomes a serious problem.
                    Everything else about the mat has been good.

Comment

I just completed a version of this. I started with a DW Quail commercial 4x5 mat. I chose this initially because the pad was a true 5/8" unlike the Allturfmats version which appears to be 2 3/8 pads glued together and comes in thicker at 3/4" even though the website says 5/8".

I cut the gel pad in half to make 2 pads 8"x17.5" so one will be set aside if the other wears out. I used the thin packing wrap you can see in the pictures on each side. This makes it stick out a little from the hole - maybe that will help keep a divot from forming.

I bought one of those 1x2 from allturfmats to compare and I will use it as a hitting strip when the turf of the DW Quail wears out or a divot forms as has been mentioned. The 1x2 is overall slightly thicker, but it should be fine.

Long term, cutting a 1x2 hole in a mat and replacing hitting strips is appealing to me. When the time comes, I'll also experiment with some DIY Divot Actions I've made that seem to work well.

Comment

was thinking of getting that DW Quail mat for the same reason...and also because it looks to be a more natural green color than the Allturfmats one. Could you post a pic or two of the turf side of the DW Quail mat?

Pic of Allturfmats Pro Premium Commercial Mat from Ebay listing. Looks to be a brighter green.

My putting green turf is this color...

Last edited by cspin; 09-23-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cspin View Post
                          was thinking of getting that DW Quail mat for the same reason...and also because it looks to be a more natural green color than the Allturfmats one. Could you post a pic or two of the turf side of the DW Quail mat?

Pic of Allturfmats Pro Premium Commercial Mat from Ebay listing. Looks to be a brighter green.

My putting green turf is this color...

Here you go. Both pics are kinda dark I'm afraid. The turf color in real life is a dark green and is actually similar to the 1x2 I got from allturfmats. Just looking at the pics of the back - one looks black and one looks grey just due to different lighting.
                          Last edited by Godfather; 09-23-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks Godfather! Your boy looks like a player!

Comment

• cspin
                              cspin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Btw, did you get the DWQ Martin Hall Commercial Gorilla mat or the Standard Commercial mat? The website is pretty jumbled up.

We specialize in Golf Mats, Nets, Cages and Training Aids for every aspect of your game! We have everything from Golf Mats, Golf Nets, Golf GPS, Putting Greens and Putting Training Aids, all at great prices and fast delivery! Everything Golf for Less. DWQuailGolf.com

Thanks! He has a good little swing for 5 years old.

I just looked up the receipt. It looks like I have the standard commercial mat. I don't recall that other option when I ordered. It was either just the mat or the mat plus all that other stuff (DVD, tees, ball bin...). Here is DW (left) vs Allturfmats (right). Notice the pad difference. The turf is a little thicker and softer on the DW.

Comment

Working...
                            X