Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I build my sim in the garage or downstairs room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I build my sim in the garage or downstairs room?

Hi,

I recently got a gaming desktop and as I suspected, the "flood gates have opened" and now I'm planning to install a golf sim in either my garage or downstairs room. I'm planning to run TGC on either my SkyTrak - or buy a used GC2 (and subsequently sell the SkyTrak).

Here are the dimensions, summary of the planned build, and my current thinking of pros vs. cons of each location:

Downstairs Garage
    Dimensions 13'10" L, 11'8" W, 9' H 15'6" L, 15' W, 9' H
    Build Summary Fixed impact screen with proper backing material such that screen to wall distance is 1ft or less (due to less than ideal length). Sliding impact screen on a rail with proper backing material or just put Net Return Pro behind hitting zone of impact screen.
    Pros Much nicer room (controlled temp, less dusty, etc.). Can double as golf sim + movie theater. Larger space especially length wise and distance from screen.
    Cons Enough room to swing driver, but too close to screen? Have to move both cars to play.
    Longer time to setup (mat / alignment / screen).

I am leaning towards the downstairs - with my main concern being that I will be too close to the screen the entire time. I will have 1.5-2.5ft of clearance swinging my driver if I can keep the screen to wall distance at 8in-1.5ft. Can someone provide more details (product links / photos) of how they have managed to keep the screen to wall distance to a minimum without damaging the wall?

I also live in California. So am I just crazy and should just stick with my current setup (SkyTrak / Net Return Pro in the garage) and just save the money on real golf courses?

What would you do?

Thanks.
    Last edited by caldiver; 12-05-2018, 09:39 AM.

So hard to say, at this point in my build I’d kill for a skytrak and net return pro in my garage. My downstairs and garage can’t fit anything more than a wedge... and barely that. I’ve been working on an outside building for many months but I’ve had to clear landscape, cut down trees, fight termites, drainage issues, many budget issues, and now frost and snow again. I have an optishot in my garage that I use everyday, with only my wedge. So I continue to justify the cost and hassle. Anyway, I feel it really depends on how much you will use it. If you’re going to be in your sim every day, or almost, then go all out, if it’s a twice a month thing... well you see where I’m going with this. But it all depends on your needs and budget. A skytrak and net return in the garage is pretty sweet, but if you have the time and the budget, hey, go big. Good luck with whichever you decide.

Comment

My sim space is a similar size as yours. Does the space open up to a larger space? My space is 12 feet deep but opens up to much larger area where I have a couch. I also use mine as movie theater and this adds huge value.

Comment

• caldiver
        caldiver commented
        Editing a comment
        No it doesn't. It sounds a bit ridiculous, but I was actually planning to turn a couch on its side and have it against the corner in front of me (I'm right handed) when I use the golf sim. The couch is still pretty sturdy in that position and light enough where it won't be that difficult to turn it each time I want to use the sim...

Which screen did you get and how are you keeping it in place? Any issues with any indents around the impact area when watching movies?

I built mine in my spare garage. I don’t think I’d play much sim golf if I had to move two cars each time. I put my impact screen 1’ from the back wall without any problems. One thing to keep in mind is that 11’8’ wide means that you’ll have to place the hitting zone off centered. But that’s a small price to pay for having an easy access to the sim anytime you want to.

Comment

• caldiver
        caldiver commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the input. The room is actually about 14' wide but there is a railing with 3-4 steps that runs along the back corner that is in my backswing. So the 11'8" is the "effective width" given my backswing. You're right, I'll have to be a bit off centered when I hit and will need to make sure my projector overhead is not in the way. Or cut down that railing!

hey, go big. Good luck with whichever you decide.
      Go big or go the driving range. :-)

Maybe look at it from your personal time as well. When I'm in the garage I dont feel like Im at the house, which is good.
      I lock the garage from the inside and no one can bother me. :-)

Comment

• caldiver
        caldiver commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha - yes, if I had it in the garage it would be much less noticeable / audible from the 2nd floor than if I had it setup on the first floor.

My thoughts are that if the basement works from a space perspective to go for that especially if it a perm set up and does not require moving cars. I think you will find Moving cars and then setting up will take away from your experience and thus making it harder to go down and just enjoy hitting. Especially if your time is limited.

Comment

Downstairs. With a screen and net behind it, 10-12” to wall is good. If you hang memory foam or something similar you can go closer.

Comment

I would do it inside so it can be used as a movie theater aswell. But then again if i lived in California i would probably not have a golf simulator. Maybe a launch monitor to bring to the range :-)

Comment

Because of the limited width, what are your plans for a projector? Will it be on the ground? If it's ceiling mounted, it could be in the swing arc. Not sure where in California you are, but could you get away without parking cars in garage? If you live in an area with great weather year round, you could make it really nice in there.

Comment

Don't forget the noise hitting the ball creates. If it will disturb others, I'd opt for the garage. Mine is in the garage and I am glad, especially when up till 2 am with buddies, drinking, laughing, and playing crappy golf.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
                triplebogeysrbetter commented
                Editing a comment
                Excuse me sir. You missed a few words.

"especially when up till 2 am with buddies, drinking, laughing, and playing crappy golf. "

It should read :
                especially when up till 2 am with buddies, drinking, laughing, cursing at the screen and playing crappy golf. :-)

• caldiver
                caldiver commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL - good point. I actually have a 3-story setup and the sound from the downstairs is pretty much not an issue from the 3rd / top floor where all the bedrooms are.

So what did you decide? Was the depth too tight downstairs?

Comment

Working...
              X