My new SkyTrak garage studio build in Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new SkyTrak garage studio build in Austin

Thought I’d share a few pics of my new personal garage studio which I just finished building. 14x12 subfloor built with 2x4s on 16” centers and 3/4” plywood then shimmed to level, covered with Synlawn Precision Putt turf, and trimmed around edges to contain loose balls. Two aluminum regulation cups cut in at far corners. 1” EMT cage with foam padding that’s 14’6” wide, 8’ tall, and 3’6” deep. Carl’s Preferred 13.5’x7.75’ screen held with tarp clips and ball bungies. Black Commando cloth on top and sides. Under hitting area is a 5/8” Ultragel silicone pad. Bose Cinemate GS II sound system. Razer Blade laptop with RTX 2080 running TGC 2019 and BenQ HT1085ST projector hung at 11’.

Very happy with it so far. If you’re near Austin come take a look!

Last edited by GungHoGolf; 06-11-2019, 05:20 PM.
    - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

great looking setup, thanks for sharing!

I wish I had the space to build a dedicated sim, but I'm currently working on my garage setup that also has to function as a garage.

how far back from the screen are you hitting?

Comment

Awesome! Great job. Love seeing all the great setups and jealous that you have dedicated space for one!

Comment

You are hitting off the Synlawn putting turf? (with the ultragel underlayment) I'd love to know how well it holds up, because that would be great as a hitting area. Question: Tees for driver?

Comment

• GungHoGolf
          GungHoGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the Precision Putt turf makes a great hitting surface with the gel underneath. Will update with wear results, but so far after a several hundred shots it looks brand new. Using Tomahawk Tees with Tee Claw and elastic cord for driver tee. FYI I do NOT recommend the Synlawn Classic Putt turf - saw it at the warehouse and swung a club on it a bit, and it's a taller and grabbier turf (slows the clubhead too much) and not nearly as nice to putt on. The Precision Putt turf is truly awesome.
          Last edited by GungHoGolf; 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SkyTrakandMatts.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	209905 This is my setup a couple years ago. I need to update flooring and such, but we've been putting in a small pond and river feature.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	River from Upside.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	209906

Comment

Love the finished product! All you have to do now is hang a flat screen and maybe add a mini fridge for cold beverages! Well done.

Comment

Nice setup, looks great.
            Where did you buy the black commando cloth ? What foam padding did you use for the EMT frame ?

Comment

Nice setup! Are you having any problems with the 8' ceiling height?

Comment

• GungHoGolf
              GungHoGolf commented
              Editing a comment
              Not at all. I launch my 60 deg lob wedge at about 28-31 deg, which hits about 6' up the screen. A hard open-face flop shot would probably hit the top curtain, but I try to avoid those. No swing issues, since ceiling above me is 13', only the screen is limited at 8'.

• moadhia
              moadhia commented
              Editing a comment
              what’s the distance of your hitting area to screen ?

• GungHoGolf
              GungHoGolf commented
              Editing a comment
              8.5-9 feet

where did you buy your synlawn?

Comment

• GungHoGolf
              GungHoGolf commented
              Editing a comment
              A Synlawn dealer in New Braunfels, TX:

Mike LeFevre
              Owner/ General Manager
              Speirinnovations.com
              C:512-903-4287
              O:512-53-SOLAR

Nice build! What was your budget for this and do you have a breakdown of the major components?

Comment

Nice Build!! Looks great!

Comment

Great stuff, GungHoGolf and thanks for sharing! What are you doing to keep out that Texas heat? Is the other half of the garage functional?

Comment

• GungHoGolf
                  GungHoGolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, the other two car spaces are functional. I’m getting by just barely now with a 14,000 BTU portable AC and trying to minimize how many times we open the garage door (but wifey likes to come and go all day). Next summer will probably upgrade to a mini-split AC.
              Working...
              X