No announcement yet.

Keither5150 is building a new sim room.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keither5150 is building a new sim room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	New sim room1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	254271 Here is the future space. 16.5x10x30. I am planning to have about 16 or 42 inches from the screen to the wall. Click image for larger version  Name:	frame.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	254272
    I have installed a couple of these frames and I really like the image quality and how smooth the screen stays.

I am planning to hit 12-13 feet away from the screen. As you can see, there is a beam at 17 feet from the wall. This would put the beam about 15.5 feet from the screen and about 3.5 feet behind the tee. Does anyone think that the beam will interfere with anyone's swing? The backswing is generally lower than the follow through.

Option 1. screen 16 inches from the wall. Hit from 12 feet away. Tall people may have to hit from 10 feet away. After testing my swing at 5'10" tall, I won't hit the beam.

Option 2. Screen is 36 inches away from the wall. Hit from 12 or 13 feet away. This puts the beam almost directly overhead. the highest part of my swing arc will be in front of the beam. With the screen this far away, I can safely have my home theatre speakers behind there without any added protection.

Both options give me plenty of room behind for two couches and my desk.

I am planning on using dricore for the sub floor. I use a FB mat and will be staying with them.

Anyone have experience with going around beams like this? Hitting from 10 feet away would not be the end of the world...... I would prefer 12 or 13 feet. Can the screen be 12 inches away from the wall?

Last edited by keither5150; 03-24-2020, 01:09 PM.

Hi keither5150 , I don't think the beam is going to be an issue. I may have missed it in your post but how far does the beam hang down?

Just a couple of thoughts: I'm 6'2" tall and I hit about 8' away from my screen (I don't even come close to hitting it). At 13' away, you are really going to need an extension or at least a few baffles on the ceiling. Full wedge shots are most likely not going to make it to the screen at that distance. Even at 8' I occasionally hit the ceiling just before my screen with my 54. Placing the screen 16" from the back wall will be plenty sufficient. Good luck with your build... looks like great space to work in. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
    --
    What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Comment

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      The beam is 12 inches and will be 15 feet from the screen if I am 24 inches away from the wall. My mat will have a 48 inch long hitting strip. My sim is somewhat flexible with a large hitting area. So if the beam is 3 feet behind the tee, I don't think that I will hit it as the backswing is considerably lower in height than the follow through.

Keith, being anymore than 10-11 from the screen is too much unless you are using radar. The will ball hit the ceiling too much and it’s totally far.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

• mthunt
      mthunt commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm 10 feet and my screen is 16x9 feet wide but i go to a place that has Trackman3 and it's 14 feet to the screen. It seems way to far to me. At 10 feet lob wedges hit the ceiling. I'd say go with what you like. LOL

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just before Xmas, I spent some time at a golf school. Their set up was 10 feet. Their biggest screen was 15.5 feet. I felt that it was too close for me but I could probably get used to it. With my 4 foot hitting strip, I will have room to play with it. I am at 12 feet right now and I just don't hit full LW's. I have a padded ceiling but don't like hitting it. Outdoors I have switched from hitting a full 60 to a 3/4 52 with more of a cut swing....outside in..... I seem to hit that straighter than my full 60. In the basement, this 3/4 52 degree has a LA of about 33-35. And outdoors, that swing has a good amount of spin on it. Even though my path is outside in 4-6 degrees...… I manage to hit it pretty straight. It only moves right to left a few feet. Once we move in, I will have to take plenty of practice swings before I lay down the mat. I am planning to surround it with putting green and a few real holes near the screen. My current ceiling height is 8' 7" and my driver follow through, at times skims the padded ceiling. Since the beam will be 4-5 feet behind me, I don't think that I will come anywhere near it with my follow through. Bottom of the beam should be 8'9". It seems that backswing will be far away from the beam. I am thinking of making a little chipping area about 25 feet from the screen..... I have a pretty good budget for this room, so I will be looking through old posts to see if I can steal any ideas.

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      keither5150 - wow, so you change your swing on your wedges to accomodate your screen position? Is that wise?

Day 1 Subfloor. The frame for the screen arrives on Monday. Screen is about a week out. Drywalling will start next week or the week after. Going with a 10x4 Fiberbuilt mat. 16x9 foot screen. GSA Vistrak Stereo and Mevo + ( on order )
    Last edited by keither5150; 06-27-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Comment

I’m like 7 feet ball to screen with no issues. Why so much distance from screen to wall? Do 12” screen to wall and 10 feet ball to screen - or set your 4ft hitting strip at 8.5-12.5 feet... IMHO, but do what you feel is right for you.

Comment

• keither5150
          keither5150 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been hitting from 11-12 for the past 4 years. I spent some time at a golf school who had their setup at 10 feet. I got used to it pretty quickly. I will be using a mevo + for some side by side testing....so that is one reason for a little more length.

Hmmmmm. Wiz thinks screen 12 inches from the wall and hit from 8-10 ft away.

Then he said that ceiling is too high he said lower ceiling or raise floor so ceiling height is 94 inches. Yep he is use to 7ft 10 inch clearance. It Gives instant feedback and Really helps groove a swing! lol
        Last edited by Wizard of Coz; 06-28-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

That height also helps to groove your ceiling with driver shaped ridges.

so the Vistrak Stereo & Mevo+ setup.. one for ball and one for club data?

Comment

• keither5150
            keither5150 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are going to use the Mevo+ for ball data... and the Vistrak for club data.....there is no need for the stereo cams. The single camera can give club data and the impact video. I bought the Mevo + to compare spin numbers.

keither5150 was wondering why you’d use mevo for data comparisons. Tbh it’s not the most reliable data you’ll find. Wouldn’t it make more sense for gc2 or really even Skytrak?

Comment

The GC2 has a flash that has the potential to white out the image for the club camera. I have never considered the ST. What I am looking for is to compare total spin. When set up correctly, the Mevo + has proven to be on par with most other sims.....Uneekor etc. Spin axis differs from sim to sim. I have yet to see a side by side comparison that has similar SA. GSA is developing it's new spin detection tech. The old tech of using club data for SA calculations has proven to be extremely accurate with the exception of big toe or heel misses. I think that the Mevo + is a nice fit for the side by side testing that I want to do.

Comment

I am planning to have ceiling protection extend 4-6 feet from the screen..... I am thinking foam tiles and some baffle curtains. Just did some math.... if I hit the ceiling 4 feet in front of my screen.... that is a 50 degree LA. I usually don't exceed 35 degrees with full shots. So baffles 4 feet from the screen and padded carpet tiles..... another 2 feet.
              Last edited by keither5150; 06-28-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I'm following your build. Thanks for sharing. I plan to start construction of my basement room (concrete on 3 sides, 13 ft wide) in a couple of weeks. Maybe I missed it but what are the dimensions of the room you are building?
                I am undecided on drywall or tarps on walls.

Comment

• keither5150
                  keither5150 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The room is 16 x 30 x 9' 9" I will have the same black curtains on the wall as my old sim room which can be seen on YouTube.....Keither5150. I will have a padded ceiling with some baffles hanging every 8 inches or so. I am planning to hang black fabric....every 8 inches....that will be about 6-8 inches wide.....across the whole width of the room. If I run these baffles up to 4 feet away from the screen....It will take care of LA up to 52 degrees. I will be posting the progress here with photos.

I found your YouTube channel. Where can I find your sim room?

Comment

I don't really have a anything on my first build. I will post a lot during the new build.....framing today and tomorrow.

Comment

Here is the latest. Screen is up.... mat is in place..... padded ceiling is waiting for fabric. I hung my oldest screen behind my new screen for added cushion. I will be mounting the projector tonight.

Comment

Working...
                    X