Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another New Build! All in, under $4k!

Hey new friends,
    So like many others, this quarantine gave me an excuse to do something I've wanted to do for a long time. I claimed a side of the garage and built out my simulator with the help of reading several posts here and online research. Given this was my first foray into this I wanted to keep to a pretty tight budget. With a family I'm not sure how much time I'll get to put in the sim, so no sense in going overboard initially. I figure I can always upgrade things if I can justify it based on usage. Also, I tend to be pretty frugal so anywhere I can save a penny I will.

Design Goal: A nice looking setup; comfortable place I could have a few friends over, and get some swings in when the weather sucks here in northern VA.
    Target Budget: Under $4,000

Space: So like I said, this is in my garage. I had an overall depth of 20ft, 9ft wide but the ceilings are only 8.5ft so that's my real limiting factor. I'm average height and can easily swing all irons and my 3 wood, but my driver is a little too close. I can swing it, but if I really crank one I end up hitting the ceiling. There's also a beam that cuts all the way across and hangs down about 16in so that limited my directionality, otherwise I probably would have set it up to go the other way.

Components:
    Launch Monitor - Skytrak w/GIP ($2,400 bought used from a member here)
    Screen - SQ Raw (Imperfect) from Par2Pro ($200)
    Projector - Viewsonic PS501x ($405 factory refurb from Viewsonic)
    25' HDMI Cable from Lowes - ($35)
    Enclosure - 2x4's and deck post brackets from Lowes ($80)
    Mat - 5 Star ReACTION 5'x5' ($215)
    Ceiling Protection - Foam insulation and foam acoustic tiles ($75)
    Bungee balls, tarp clips, curtains, etc. ($100)
    Carpet - EcoRug 6'x8' from Lowes (3 @ $22 each)
    Paint and other miscellaneous ($50)

For the ceiling protection, I picked up a 3/4" thick 4'x8' foam insulation board at Lowes that's used to insulate the exterior of homes/buildings. It's pretty firm, but I wanted to dress it up a bit so I used a spray adhesive and glued the foam acoustic panels I got cheap from Walmart.

For the flooring, I went dumpster diving at a local carpet store and grabbed pieces of padding they had thrown out from installations and used that under the green carpets to make it more comfortable than the hard concrete floor, and to keep the balls from bouncing all over the place. The black border is some cheap laminate I had laying around that I spray painted black and then stapled the carpet to to hold it all in place.

Take a look and let me know what you think and if you have any questions! Thanks to everyone for their builds that they've posted, and hope mine inspires some others!

Trevor

Well done! Looks awesome!

Comment

Great job, especially for those $’s - that takes some shopping around!

Comment

Good work on this. Love the dumpster diving!

Quick question: why are SkyTraks now selling for more used than new? I’ve seen listings lately and don’t understand it. Is it because of stocking issues and Covid-19?

Comment

• Stetson
          Stetson commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. The prices are already coming down quickly, although still above new.

• 3on3putt
          3on3putt commented
          Editing a comment
          The prices on the used market were crazy high in the early days of quarantine. But as Stetson said, they are inching back toward reality now. Skytrak orders got delayed a bit because of Covid. And then couple that with the fact that everyone and their brother was trying to buy a Skytrak or a Mevo+ once lockdowns began and golf courses started to close down in some states. So it was a simple supply and demand thing and many people who already owned Skytraks were capitalizing on the market. I imagine there are people who sold their old Skytrak for $3,000 and will then buy a brand new one for $2,000 once the supply chain catches up again. A $1,000 profit and a brand new unit to replace the old one isn't so bad for a day's work.

Thanks for the feedback! The Skytrak was close to a new unit and included the FMJ and GIP license so it was right around cost for new so I didn't mind a bit of markup. Overall it was a fun build and love being able to just step out and get a few swings in b/w conference calls and at night.

Comment

I too am on a budget and in your neck of the woods prices wise for what I have paid. I am just trying to get the launch monitor setup first and then will add simulation after. How thick is your mat? I got a used mat from Rawhide and its really thick, like 2 inches so I am going to have to figure out something to place under the carpet, love the price of your cheaper option.

I am not in a hurry and will wait out any covid pricing. We have been able to play golf along here in arizona.

Comment

Because of my low ceiling, I went with the mat that didn't have the 5/8" backing to preserve as much height as possible. According to their website it's 1 1/4" thick and would agree. So far I'm really impressed, feels good and has plenty of give. I feel like I can hit down on it, but yet know when I hit it fat as opposed to some of the harder mats where the club just bounces off. I've never used a CCE or other to have anything to compare it to though.

Comment

Working...
            X